Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Downhill / Freeride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
More like an adrenaline junkie.:D Which probably means, yes.:rolleyes:

What's really nuts, is that there are lots out there a lot dumber than I am. This area really produces some great riders...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC Sighting?

SC- was that you and Notty at the base of Seymour (Golf course parking lot) getting geared up at about 9:50 Saturday morning? Do you ride a yellow Rocky hard tail, and have a dog that sounds like a whale?

Curious.

BTW- if you haven't been up to the CBC trail, which starts just under the base of the ski hill, get there! Basically, this trail is nearly 100% man-made. Tons of ladders & bridges. Very smooth and well groomed. I swear, for the first 5 minutes I only took two pedal strokes. The trail leads right into Pingu. There has been too much snow all winter and spring, but it is in superb condition now.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC is in hiding...

Dude-Where's-my-bike? Sorry, that was not a Sexy C and Notty sighting, but I am curious to hear more about this whalin' dog:D

+SCridesagreenkona;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too bad...that Sexy Coco was a hottie! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

Yes, her dog did sounds like a kllier whale making mating sounds.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CBC / Neds

Notty,

We hit CBC & Neds yesterday after work. Sorry I didn't PM you- I was out of the office all day.

The trails are very nice right now!

Crazy Greek burned his inner thigh. You know when you use your brakes a lot, the rotor can get really hot? Well, Greek had a somewhat funny crash, and landed on his bike- thigh on rotor. He now has a HAYES brand on his leg.

Only you, Greek!

See you Saturday Notty. We're going back up, lilkely Monday AM if you and Sexy Coco are interested.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sorry Jude

I'm hosting a 12 hour Canada Day party from 9:45am, can't make it, but thanks for thinking of me;)

+SCsaysOHCanada!:cool:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too funny

I'm laughing my nuts off here. You have to know Crazy Greek...he is the King of bad, fluke injuries. I received this e-mail from him, today:

injury update:
went to see physician, the bitch says, you have got a thickness burn translates into a bad 2nd degree. Turns out I may be in need of a skin
graf.....what the fcuk! Just my poor ass luck I suppose. My ride wasn't even worthy of such a classic injury! Fcuk me.

Classic!

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ouch, silly Greek!

Dude,

Is Crazy Greek a Northener or a Southerner? Northeners graft easier you know.:rolleyes:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Balls,

His family is from whatever part of Greece that produces the smelly, slobbery, lovable, clumsy type. A list of classic Crazy Greek injuries:

· Bloodies up face, arms, and legs after washing out on Mount Washington fire road (the type of road where most of the surface is small shale rocks). Immerges from accident with small stick impaled in his earlobe. First purchase of armor follows shortly after.

· Dislocates shoulder while riding down SFU access road after trail ride. Greek popped off a small rock, but failed to stick the landing and lands head over ass. Two problems: 1. He was riding alone. 2. He couldn’t move for 20 minutes. The funniest part of this story is that another guy behind him rode right past him, because Greek didn’t have enough wind to ask for help. Greek drives himself to the hospital.

· Severs achilles tendon at Science World while on field trip with camp kids. Apparently there is a simulated 60 m tack set up where you can race against Donavan Bailey. The Greek races Donavan, loses, and then blows out his tendon when putting on the brakes. Greek drives himself to the hospital, stays for surgery.

· Six months later at his wedding engagement party: Greek just gets out of his cast the day before, severs tendon again while performing Greek Ouzo dance. Greek gets driven to Hospital after party, and about 17 beers to wash away the pain. Greek stays for surgery, and spends 8 months in cast.

· Most recently, Greek gets cast off, goes riding, and slices calf with one of his pedal studs. Drives self to Hospital, gets sutures. The next day, Greek goes riding again, and opens stitches. Drives self to hospital…repeat.

· Greek tops it all with burning inner thigh on hot Hays disc. Drives self to Hospital in AM, requires skin graft to patch himself up.

Can’t wait till Monday CG!
:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Notty,

Good stuff today! Not bad at all for someone who has been on a big bike- I’m guessing- all of 4 or 5 times now! Sorry about the rancid gasses- a result of overindulgence on Saturday, me thinks!

I agree that a better plan is to hit Pinghu/ Boogieman / Empress first, then Neds. I was pretty much knackered myself by the time we got to Boogieman. Always nice to come out (mostly) unscathed though…

We’ll probably try for an early Saturday morning ride again this week, if you’re interested.

Slapnuts.

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

Good times...no pains either, just a slight shoulder scuff from my lip stand on Neds.

And yup...5th time out on the monster. Still learning but always fun.

I'll let you know about next week...cheers and thanks for the pointers!

~Notty:D

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
California Boy

Notty,

What trail did you guys end up riding on your second loop yesterday?

Yesterday was interesting, if not comical. The guy I was riding with races cross-country expert at the 35-39 age level- a pretty high level. He lives in Chicago now (yes, that mountain bike hotbed of Illinois), but spent the last 3 years in Southern California. His DH experience has been limited to Big Bear Mountain. He was talking a bunch of smack before the ride, saying the stuff he saw on T.V. of the Shore didn’t look too tough, with the exception of the ladders and big hucks. He was also saying that it shouldn’t be too tough cardiovascularly, “Because it is Downhill…”. You see, he didn’t bother with having any water before the ride. So, I hooked him up with my buddy’s Norco Launch (w/ Super T Pros), some roach pads, and took him riding instead of golfing.:D

Well, to put it mildly, I sort of ripped him a new asshole. He walked nearly all of CBC, and was off for a lot of Neds. CBC was somewhat understandable, given the number of long bridges, but Neds? Hell, any drop over 1’ he was off. He was also really knackered at the end, and couldn’t make it up that little hill on the fire road leading out to Riverside without getting off to push. Afterwards: “I’m humbled”, and “Newfound respect” for the fitness level required for Freeride & DH.:rolleyes:

Nonetheless, lots of fun! I’m thinking I may be around this weekend (wanted to head to Sun Peaks for the BC Cup DH, but don’t think I can justify it right now w/ a newborn). Would you be up for am early morning ride Saturday or Sunday?

Dude.

Notty

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude,

I didn't make it up for the first run down Boogie Man but from what I was told it was rather greasy. The chaps I was riding with got up early and blazed one before I got there!

We shuttled back up and did Neds…Still wet but definitely ride able!
Getting more and more confident on the DH I must say…not dropping anything over 3-3.5 feet yet but it’s a work in process.

Drop me a pm when your heading up next...Sat or Sun may work...early morn?!?! Well OK!

~Notty
:D

Note: Where was that pic taken on your Avatar??? And no...not the chick!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That was at Whistler, Upper Joyride. There is a better look at that on page 1 of this thread.

I'll PM you once I know what I'm up to.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Notty,

Sun Peaks is happening, which means no Seymour for me this weekend. Wilby and I are going, and we're taking the wives and my kids. Should be a pretty long, gnarly course. Can't wait!

Tell Willy I'm an unrestricted free agent and I'll wear the John Henry jersey, in exchange for a case of beer.:D

I'll see if I can get photos of me crashing on the Twisted Sister Drop.:rolleyes:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Jude

I think you scared Notty off chatting about the wife and kids :eek:

~Remember guys, I am still available to take the pictures of your stunts;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sun Peaks

This is quite possibly the best website around on DH / Freeride: www.freeriders.org

We met this guy at Parksville last year. He's actually a really good Masters racer. Very fast.

He has a great write-up on the Nationals last year @ Sun Peaks. Both the races up there last year were first class, while the course was by far the fastest and most technically difficult of the year. It was also quite a bit longer, and an endurance test compared to the other stops. I've told you about the "Twisted Sister Drop" they incorporated into this race. I crashed there, during the race. About 1/3 of the riders who attempted it did. I re-injured my shoulder here, after taking 4 full weeks off to recover from the initial injury. They have apparently taken a whole new line down the mountain this year, so as to avoid Twisted Sister altogether. There is now a new section, apparently called “Insanity”.

This description freeride.org writes on Twisted Sister describes it best:

I had heard a lot of rumors while this courses was being built, none of which I really believed. I never thought that the racing officials would ever put in anything like this. No, not in a racecourse. But here it stands, like some dark Gothic Tower standing over the valley of evil itself. We stood with their bikes off to the side on a muddy platform meant as an easy way around. Even this route was sketchy. There we watched in awe, as rider after rider hurled themselves off the drop with mixed results. I couldn't let the fear buildup inside me any longer. Every hair on my body was standing straight up as I tried to imagine myself going over this nightmare in one piece. I finally convinced myself that I have to do it now or the fear would get bigger on the next trip up. If I rode up the lift with this on my mind, I think I would spontaneously combust! I turned around to grab my bike, and hike up to do the drop, and that's when my heartbeat hit the roof. God, denial is such a wonderful tool. I'm not going to kill myself; I'm not dropping this 5-foot gap into a 100-foot berm… but drop I did, and live I do.

That describes about perfectly the fear I felt. Because of the previous injury, I had extra bad nerves before hitting this- the memories of the Whistler crash, and the subsequent pain, fresh in my mind. I crashed hard here during my run. Hard. I must have lost more than a minute straightening out my bars, then fcuking up 2-3 more times before I was able to shake it off for the rest of the race. I did much better the next week on the same course for the Canada Cup finals. But hell...talk about pure fear! I was literally sick to my stomach thinking about HAVING to take this line!

Check out the photos (none of me…I think they hold back on posting the guys who miss :( . If I can figure out how to shrink them, I’ll do it and post them.

Can’t wait! One more sleep to training runs!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sun Peaks- BC Cup DH

Notty / Greek,

Great weekend, if not a little too expensive. On my second training run of the day Saturday, I crashed hard on a steep rock face when I tried to huck it and over-shot the burm at the bottom. I completely blew out my rear Hayes hydraulics, and had to get a re-build and bleed. $75.00 later I was back on the hill, and got in three more runs. The good news is, we found a crack in my frame, and a bend in my linkage. WARRANTEE BABY!

I tell you, if you haven’t already been, take a weekend and stay @ Sun Peaks. I would say the trails there now are superior to Whistler. Way longer, and way less crowded. They have something for everyone.

The course itself was nothing short of gnarly! I was talking to a couple of pros (including Shawms March), and they all agreed that this one was probably the most technically demanding in Canada, possibly anywhere. The only race scarier would be the Canada Cup run, held basically on the same course but with the inclusion of the Twisted Sister drop.

The BC Cup course has everything- steep Shore style technical downhill w/ switchbacks, wide open fire road, fast single track, scary rock drops, 5’ high launches…it even had an 8’ gap jump over a creek! It was difficult, and demanded every ounce of concentration not to fcuk up (I did have a couple of little fcuk ups during my race in the rooty switchback section), then all your endurance and strength to keep going fast during the last ¼, when you could barely hold your bars, much less touch your brakes! I tell you, my fingers KILL today! After my first training run down, my reactions was, “We’re supposed to race this? Non stop?”

I did OK. I had an average time for my class (7:32). That little shite Wilby pulled off a 6:40. He was the fastest of all of us friends who ride together and raced. The consolation was that the field was small, and everyone who showed was awesome. I’m pretty pleased, considering surgery 6 months ago.

Anyhow, I may be out of commission for a week getting the new frame set up, but I’ll let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0