Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Champions League 2003/2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

the manager

Sep 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have to admit that the italians are teaching arsenal a hard lesson....

the one time volley for the second goal was thunderous to say the least and the save by inters keeper was magnificant.

the third goal saw the nigerian? player for inter celebrate with about 4 backwards handsprings followed by a back flip.

the most agile player in div 2 would have tried the handspring and landed flat on his back...what a difference in calibre man...

well worth the pub lunch to catch the first half...no wonder zenga is so happy :D

manager

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Munchen vs Celtic Update

2100: GOAL Bayern Munich 0-1 Celtic
After defending resolutely, Celtic break forward and Alan Thompson dives to head home at the far post. A super goal, but can they hang on for what would be a famous victory?

Can the Tic hold on??? By all accounts zzGermans have missed a few quality chances!!!:eek: Will Balde resist the temptation of whacking a kraut in the box???

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Inter destroyed Arsenal today with a brilliant 3-0 victory!!!!

Dodgy penelty called Toldo shut the door. All with out Vieri!!

Imagine if he played, I was a little worried about this one, the Nerrazzurro have been out of form of late but Inter was great on the day!

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I suppose it's a bit harsh to take anything away from Inter's performance, but Lehmann was very suspect on the first two tallies.

Cruz had nothing to work with on that opening goal, but Lehmann slid to protect the near side and left the entire net open by sliding to his right. Cruz basically used Lehmann as a carom. Christ, had he stayed up and given Cruz the ol' goal-line sashe, he would have been in better position. At least a defender retreating to cover the goal would have had more time to recover.

The second goal. Okay, fcuking brilliant volley. Full marks to Van der Meyde for the power and placement. But Lehmann didn't come for the cross, which would make me automatically assume he was following the flight of the ball, and moving across his net accordingly. Well he sure took his sweet ol' time getting from one post to the other. To get his hands on the ball and still have it sneak in underneath was the dagger for the Arse, who looked totally deflated after that. To me, it's a difficult parry save for a corner, but a save you have to make at that level, given the circumstances.

I'm sure Zenga was watching the match (happy birthday), and being a keeper himself, perhaps he can comment if he thought the same upon seeing the goals, or if I'm being overly critical.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sensi, Im fukcing happy in the way Inter played and the result. But we shouldnt really be talking about goalkeeping me 10 goals against in 2 games, and you havent got on.(have you?) Im not trying to TTP out of you but lets be honest!

I thought he 2nd should have been stopped.

But none the less 3-0 in Highbury, great start to the 2003/04 Champions League, for the mighty Inter/

Other Results:

Champions League - Group A
23:00 September 17

FT Bayern Munich (Ger) 2 - 1 Celtic (Sco)
FT Lyon (Fra) 1 - 0 Anderlecht (Bel)

Champions League - Group B

FT Arsenal (Eng) 0 - 3 Inter Milan (Ita)
FT Dynamo Kyiv (Ukr) 2 - 0 Lok. Moscow (Rus)

Champions League - Group C
FT AEK Athens (Gre) 1 - 1 Deportivo (Spa)
FT PSV Eindhoven (Hol) 1 - 2 Monaco

Champions League - Group D
FT Juventus (Ita) 2 - 1 Galatasaray (Tur)
FT Real Sociedad 1 - 0 Olympiakos (Gre)

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's tough to say

Cruz had nothing to work with on that opening goal, but Lehmann slid to protect the near side and left the entire net open by sliding to his right. Cruz basically used Lehmann as a carom. Christ, had he stayed up and given Cruz the ol' goal-line sashe, he would have been in better position. At least a defender retreating to cover the goal would have had more time to recover.

Had Lehmann stayed on his line, he would of ended up looking like David Seaman, with Cruz still managing to slot it by him.

You cannot fault Lehmann on the first one I thought, when you have a player breaking in on you, you must come and challenge for that ball and not sit back, giving the opponent more time and space to shoot at.

I agree he should however of stopped that second goal by coming off his line for the cross.

Good exciting football in the first half and a great result for the eventual Group B winners Inter.

CIC

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well that's the last time I ever try to include you in critical analysis.

Just to clarify. I also provide scathing commentary on the performance of the Canucks, even though I can barely skate backwards and have maybe played five games of ice hockey in my lifetime.

I also roast several NBA players for their shitty efforts, even though I have no vertical and routinely get run from pickup games at SFU.

But I do know when people are not performing up to snuff, whether it be watching games in our league (which I get many opportunities to do, given the fact I never play) or CL matches on television. Each level of play has a certain standard to which the players must meet. Christ, Toldo made the big save when he had to; Lehmann didn't. As to why Lehmann didn't make those big saves - I broke it down to it's most basic form, with a little inside knowledge from having played in net for a while.

It's not like I'm comparing the performances of professionals to my own - I don't get paid millions of pounds for playing soccer. They do. Thus, they are held to a much higher standard than you, or I, or anybody else on this site.

I can't believe I felt it necessary to explain all of this.

To put this somewhat on topic, Martins is the fastest man I have ever seen.

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy Now

Sensei,

I agree with you for the most part, all I was simply attempting to show my perspective as a top-notch keeper.:rolleyes:

To put this somewhat on topic, Martins is the fastest man I have ever seen.

Some wheels the kid has, and only 18 years old.:eek:

CIC

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy now?

CIC,

Perhaps you should go back into TTP hibernation... no one was talking to you :D

~Regs.

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Martins is the reason Inter sold Crespo!! Fukcing blinding pace! I would have asked for a sub after all those flips.

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Result wasn't what Celtic were after especially after the 1-0 lead from Thompson. However this game basically was not the easiest on the eyes to watch. Both teams were average in the first half. Prompting one of the Bayern Munich coaches to say if I was a season ticket holder I would ask for my money back. Couldn't agree more. The second half was a little better just because there were a couple chances both ways. Mackay 1st goal was a great shot that no one would have saved. Hedmen then made a great save on Mackay. But then the Celtic goalie curse continued with a massive blunder that cost them the game. Mackay crosses the ball and Hedman I guess thinking a defender would clear it leaves it and it simply went in on the far post without anyone touching it. Fcuking Brutal!!
However if that is the best team in the group Celtic will advance to the next stage as long as they don't make anymore mistakes like that one.

Parkhead wouldstillratherwatchthatthenbeatworkanyday

Red Dragon

Oct 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Parkhead...

Throwing a question your way. Aren't Celtic just delaying the inevitable? They aren't going to win the Champions League, let alone their own league, so why not save the airfare money and consentrate on one thing at a time (their own league)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0