Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks In The Offseason

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just as an aside, if anyone ever reads a story in the paper of JBN and Polska found dead in their bedrooms from asphyxiation due to being covered in smiley stickers, you can pretty much bet it will be me.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apparently the Niedermayers are talking with the Canucks.....Imagine.

There hasnt been talks yet....they just said they love vancouver......scott may not even play next year.

Better shot of Vick signing with the Seahawks

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
There hasnt been talks yet....they just said they love vancouver......scott may not even play next year.

Better shot of Vick signing with the Seahawks

I disagree, the Team reported that the Niedermayer's have expressed interest in wanting to play for the Nucks, and that Scotty will be making his decision in the next 30-40 days, so before July 1st. If Scotty's first choice is Vancouver, Gillis would be smart to try to fit him in under the cap, and the best part is you know he'll only want a one year deal. Would love to see him in a Nuck's uni.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They said on the TEAM this morning that the Niedermayer's agent has come out and said he will be chatting with Gillis.
I personally dont see the charm, they are both getting pretty long in the tooth, I think the money will be better spent elsewhere. signing aging superstars has not been a Canucklehead forte....historically speaking of course.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scott Niedermayer is still one of the premiere talents as far as skating ability in the NHL, even if he will be 35 or 36 in training camp for the 09/10 season.

Rob Niedermayer is a cup winning serviceable 3rd/4th liner that won't cost more than 1.0-1.5 mill, especially is playing with his Brother, who is the real catch, is important to him.

let me remind you what Scott Niedermayer has won:
1 Gold WJHC Medal
1 World Championships Gold Medal
1 Gold and 1 Silver World Cup Medals
1 Olympic Gold Medal
1 Memorial Cup, including tourney MVP award
1 James Norris Trophy
3 Stanley Cups including 1 Conn Smythe Trophy for Playoffs MVP
countless all star games
countless 1st and 2nd NHL All star Team awards
692 points in 1183 NHL Regular season games
98 points in 202 NHL Playoff Games
13 points in 29 Senior Intl Team Canada games
Named Captain of NJ Devils, Anaheim Ducks, Kamloops Blazers, Team Canada

I think his wiki entry has a line that sums him up well:
Niedermayer is the only Canadian player in the history of hockey to have won what many consider to be the "six major championships for Canadian players," those championships being the Stanley Cup, Memorial Cup, World Junior Ice Hockey Championship gold, IIHF World Championship gold, Olympic gold, and a World Cup of Hockey title.

He and his brother will add 4 Stanley Cup rings to the ring-barren Canucks Locker Room. Aside from Ryan Walters nobody on this staff has a ring.

Niedermayer will be on Team Canada at the Olympics if he chooses not to retire, thus adding fuel to the speculation fire.
The Canucks can afford him assuming they let go of Ohlund and Sundin, which is accepted as what everyone assumes will happen.

They CAN'T afford Boumeester. He will garner way more money on the open market than Niedermayer due to his age.

There are no long term cap implications by signing either Niedermayer as they are both doing year to year deals at this point in their careers.

I see it is a no brainer if you plan on resigning the twins. If not, then you could swing for the fences on Boumeester, Cammalerri, Hossa, Gaborik, etc.

Who better to provide leadership and mentorship to the likes of Cody Hodgson, Alex Burrows, Alex Edler, etc?

Wayne Gretzky doesn't have the team accomplishments that Scott Niedermayer has... He's a winner.

And to sum up if he still has it?: He averaged over 26 minutes a game throughout the Ducks playoff this year upsetting the heavily favored Sharks and pushing, what I think will end up being the Cup winners, Red Wings to a 7th game with a bad bounce costing the Ducks late in the game on Cleary's winner.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I always find it funny that we talk about what players have done in their careers. Eventually even the players that have done something in the league get to the point that they can't do anything anymore as their bodies are too old and slow down.

Does Sundin ring a bell?

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sundin does ring a bell.

He took a half year off, and then come playoff time rattled off 3 goals and 5 assists in 8 games, for a point a game. The team had a way larger winning percentage with him in the lineup vs before his arrival, and his presence allowed Burrows to move to the top line and contribute almost 30 goals, and had Kesler pile up points as well, as well as provide mentorship and leadership to many of the youngsters on this team.

You're right in that players slow down. Niedermayer is not 27 anymore, that being said... His skating ability at even 80% of what it once was it still better than 95%+ in league currently, imho.

Scott Niedermayer was 3 goals, 7 assists for 10 points in 13 playoff games with a plus/minus of even. He's a defenseman and was tied for third in team scoring this playoffs with Pronger, ahead of Bobby Ryan and Selanne.

Don't tell me Niedermayer is past it, or doesn't belong on Team Canada, because if he belongs on Team Canada, why shouldn't the Canucks sign him to a 1 year contract with a 1 year player/club option year?

This would be a different discussion from my perspective if we were talking about aging former stars like Mark Recchi (Who still had an outstanding Playoffs), Miro Satan, Brenden Shanahan, Roenick, Guerin, Kovalev, Tkachuk, Sergei Zubov, Rob Blake, Matthieu Schneider, Roloson, Hasek, and Kolzig, who are all UFA's this offseason.

Scott Niedermayer is STILL an NHL All-star, Still a member of Team Canada if he decides to play, Still a potential Norris candidate although he wasn't shortlisted this year with Chara, Green, and Lidstrom named as the final 3 candidates.

You can't tell me Niedermayer is not still a premier NHL D Man, not without either:
a)Being Ignorant to the facts or;
b)lying through your teeth.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I always find it funny that we talk about what players have done in their careers. Eventually even the players that have done something in the league get to the point that they can't do anything anymore as their bodies are too old and slow down.

Does Sundin ring a bell?

neids to vancouver would induce a boner :eek:

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
An ostentatious post if I've ever read one.
ostentatious

One entry found.

Main Entry: os·ten·ta·tious Pronunciation: \-shəs\ Function:adjective Date:1673 : marked by or fond of conspicuous or vainglorious and sometimes pretentious display synonyms see showy

— os·ten·ta·tious·ly adverb
— os·ten·ta·tious·ness noun

Dude, you are on fire these days with your fine grammar and vocabulary, I am impressed. (insert smilie here)

Hey, I'm not trying to show off or anything, it's often referred to as researching the facts to back up your opinion on a certain matter or issue of conversation before spouting off at the mouth, something foreign to some posters here on TTP. I am also not claiming to know everything.

there is this wonderful thing on the internet called a search engine, it's technology I encourage the likes of girth, The Franchise, and hammerhead to use from time to time when wondering if opining on something without knowing the facts could potentially lead to debate.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why use a search engine when you already know everything?

Too funny...we spout off at the mouth??? Do you own a mirror?

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He does have quite a resume, no question.

One point of concern though: 60% of his points in the playoffs were on the PP,(slightly less than that, 55%, in the regular season). I think any puck moving defenceman could generate similar numbers.

if they can get him and not have to blow up the team, by all means, he brings a lot to the table. If they need to blow up the team to get him/them its not worth it.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sundin does ring a bell.

He took a half year off, and then come playoff time rattled off 3 goals and 5 assists in 8 games, for a point a game. The team had a way larger winning percentage with him in the lineup vs before his arrival, and his presence allowed Burrows to move to the top line and contribute almost 30 goals, and had Kesler pile up points as well, as well as provide mentorship and leadership to many of the youngsters on this team.

About fuking time, someone other then me gets that adding Sundin helped the Canucks. Without him Kesler wouldn't have been the same!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0