Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks In The Offseason 2010

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BRM kept it under 6 vs Westside so I can see where he was coming from with that statement DB :D

It's life's small victories that give us hope for the future...

:wa:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully Ballard can get Luongo back to superstar status. Or else...

Last edited:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
the only part of this trade that makes sense is getting rid of Bernier and his brutal contract.

In all honesty I'm not that familiar with Ballard. Will he be a 3/4 D-man? or is this a potentially top 2 guy especially under an injury situation. At the moment we didn't really give up anything. A late first rounder(may never play in the NHL), Bernier(can't get it done consitently if ever) and Grabner potentially a 30 goal man but never shown he could be, with the excpetion of some great flashes this year.

On the other hand if grabner and the first rounder turn into something well we gave up a lot....but we are trying to build a winner, we have shown we can score but need help on the back-end, got to give up to get and those 3 haven't been a large part in our scoring offense and Ballard strengthens our D and our mentally soft Italian in goal.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Apparently Ballard loves to make big hits all the time and has played 82 games a year for the last 5 or something like that. His career season best point total is 39.

I'd say top 4 - personally I like the trade.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the trade is great. As Gillis said, Grabner has become "redundant" on the team as far as speed and scoring, which makes him expendable. Bernier, really, is anyone disappointed to see him go?
It was refreshing to see Gillis say in the paper that they had 2 picks at #25 that they were interested in, and both were taken before thier pick so they saw no reason to keep the pick for a projec player to possibly turn out in 3 to 4 years. Nice game plan instead of just picking the best player available and then trying to figure out what to do with him later.

Only downside is the 4.2Million salary hit, but a young defenceman is nice!

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the trade is great. As Gillis said, Grabner has become "redundant" on the team as far as speed and scoring, which makes him expendable. Bernier, really, is anyone disappointed to see him go?
It was refreshing to see Gillis say in the paper that they had 2 picks at #25 that they were interested in, and both were taken before thier pick so they saw no reason to keep the pick for a projec player to possibly turn out in 3 to 4 years. Nice game plan instead of just picking the best player available and then trying to figure out what to do with him later.

Only downside is the 4.2Million salary hit, but a young defenceman is nice!

As for the cap hit, how much did we get rid of? Was Bernier at $2.5M? Grabner at like $1M? (I'm sure JBN will look it up for me :)) If so adding only $700K to the cap isn't bad at all, still gives us a shot to go get Hamhuis as well. And if that happens, I think we'll see Bieksa being shopped for sure.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Comparable style to Steve Ott of Dallas and Adam Burrish upfront with more offensive output... so whats the problem? Were the canucks not missing this type of player last year? Oh yeah , he can also fill in on the back should we run into injury problems....

lets hear your suggestions?

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ship him off for picks next year to dump salary. We can sign a Burrish-type player for much less than $3.5M, and have Hodgson in the middle of the 3rd line with Hansen on the other wing. Or anyone else that steps up, I'd like to see Schroeder make the jump too, but I think he's too small to fill the role we want on that line. I'd still like to see another D signing, Volchenkov or Hamhuis would really cement our back line, finally.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
When will you guys believe me ..... the Canucks suck! You get pumped every year for these guys only to let you down every year. You should become" NHL hockey fans" and not " Canucks fans" ...it's so much easier!

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
When will you guys believe me ..... the Canucks suck! You get pumped every year for these guys only to let you down every year. You should become" NHL hockey fans" and not " Canucks fans" ...it's so much easier!

YOU SUCK!

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0