Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canucks 2011/12

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Holy crap..........does nobody remember the goalies we had before him? Do you know how many teams would KILL for Luongo backed up by Schneider?

Jimothy

Sep 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
it is just frustrating that the Canucks can score 3, 4, 5 goals in a game...and still lose
it's not that i forget what he has done, but it is sooooooooo hard to like this guy
as mentioned, he makes way too much money to be letting in the sh*t he is letting in
sure, he stands on his head once in a while, but isn't that his job?
isn't that what he is paid that much money to do?

How many goalies outplayed him overall last year? Thomas (who had an all time great year) and arguably Rinne. Just like in the Olympics, even if Luongo had won game 7 there would still be people here complaining and giving him no credit.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With Luongo, it's not an ability issue; it's a psychological one. This is a guy who can be absolutely clutch one minute, and then pull off a massive brain fart in the same game, and then go back to clutch. Why? Why can't he be like Tim Thomas and be consistent all the time? Because he's not Tim Thomas; that's why. Bobby Lou has concentration lapses; very glaringly noticeable ones at times. Thankfully nowhere near what Dan Cloutier went through, but at times reminiscent.

I think people get used to the "clutch" Luongo and then somehow feel betrayed when the "brain fart" Luongo surfaces. Do you honestly think he does stuff like that on purpose?

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why can't he be like Tim Thomas and be consistent all the time?
I know this is a popular sentiment and I also know this is not what you were getting on here TV, but do people really think this? Dear god, Thomas was relegated to back up just 2 years ago because of indifferent play. He climbed on top of the world and got ultra hot at precisely the right time last spring (after a remarkably good season to boot).

I compare Thomas' playoff run to that of J.S. Giguere in 2004 when nobody could score on him. Everyone thought Giguere would be the next great goalie after that, but he fell back down into a pretty decent but basically average tender from then on. I think Thomas, who is nearing the end of his time in the NHL, will be better than that, but for a very short time.

Luongo is a notoriously slow starter. It didn't help that he only played two exhibition games either. It takes him a few weeks to figure out his timing and positional play which his style relies on heavily. Just wait, from November through March, he will be near the top of every statistical category in the league - again. For crying out loud people, he won the Jennings trophy last year, was a finalist for the Vezina, and before getting outplayed in the final five games of the finals, was in discussions for the Conn Smythe! Get a grip! We have a very good goaltender and he will be here for many years. Learn to like him or move to Calgary and support the Flames.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know this is a popular sentiment and I also know this is not what you were getting on here TV, but do people really think this? Dear god, Thomas was relegated to back up just 2 years ago because of indifferent play. He climbed on top of the world and got ultra hot at precisely the right time last spring (after a remarkably good season to boot).

I compare Thomas' playoff run to that of J.S. Giguere in 2004 when nobody could score on him. Everyone thought Giguere would be the next great goalie after that, but he fell back down into a pretty decent but basically average tender from then on. I think Thomas, who is nearing the end of his time in the NHL, will be better than that, but for a very short time.

Luongo is a notoriously slow starter. It didn't help that he only played two exhibition games either. It takes him a few weeks to figure out his timing and positional play which his style relies on heavily. Just wait, from November through March, he will be near the top of every statistical category in the league - again. For crying out loud people, he won the Jennings trophy last year, was a finalist for the Vezina, and before getting outplayed in the final five games of the finals, was in discussions for the Conn Smythe! Get a grip! We have a very good goaltender and he will be here for many years. Learn to like him or move to Calgary and support the Flames.

Well said......

Prediction both Quick and Thomas lose starting jobs by year end.....

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

It is very possible that Thomas could lose the starting job because he has a very good goaltender behind him. However Thomas just didn't get hot, he played that well 2 of the last 3 years. However when he lost that job it was because he needed hip surgery for a torn labrum. Like Kesler he tried to play through and we all know Kesler wasn't that same player after the injury.

Luongo can be great at his best, as good as anyone. However he is such a wild card because at any given time he can have a shocker and its just as likely as him having a stunner. Was anyone confident he would out play Thomas in game 7? When he won the gold medal did he really have a great game, no he did the job and thats all you can ask. Sure he had the better team in front of him. In the playoffs he probably got outplayed individually by the goaltender on the other end in 3 of the 4 series. However we had an incredible team, the best in the NHL that made up for it and Lu was playing pretty well. However when the going gets tough and the team isn't at its best with everything on the line, Luongo isn't my guy. Too Emotional and when you need the huge save to turn the game on its head more often then not he is pulling the puck out of the back of his net. Now if you weren't allowed to shoot from the behind the net, I might change my opinion.

Jimothy

Sep 11, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Luongo can be great at his best, as good as anyone. However he is such a wild card because at any given time he can have a shocker and its just as likely as him having a stunner. Was anyone confident he would out play Thomas in game 7? When he won the gold medal did he really have a great game, no he did the job and thats all you can ask. Sure he had the better team in front of him. In the playoffs he probably got outplayed individually by the goaltender on the other end in 3 of the 4 series. However we had an incredible team, the best in the NHL that made up for it and Lu was playing pretty well. However when the going gets tough and the team isn't at its best with everything on the line, Luongo isn't my guy. Too Emotional and when you need the huge save to turn the game on its head more often then not he is pulling the puck out of the back of his net. Now if you weren't allowed to shoot from the behind the net, I might change my opinion.

There is almost nothing Luongo can do here to silence his critics. Before the Olympics everyone said he chokes when it counts. 34 saves on 36 shots later in an OT Olympic gold medal game (on Canadian soil no less) and if you listen to those same critics he had nothing to do with the win. I would think a game in which anything but a gold medal would be classified as a catastrophic failure for an entire country of hockey fans would count as pressure situation, but somehow he still doesn't get credit for a big game win. Even if he had won game 7 last year, it wouldn't change much. We'd still be hearing about how the Canucks won because they had the better team and that Luongo still hasn't proven he can win when it counts.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canucks will NEVER win a Stanley Cup with Luongo in net. FACT. The Canucks may as well bring in Boucher or Bobrovsky or Leighton........:D

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
At Luongo's age how many cups had Thomas won. How many playoff games had he won. How many regular season NHL games had he won. Vancouver fans are idiots almost as bad as flyers fans.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Canucks will NEVER win a Stanley Cup with Luongo in net. FACT. The Canucks may as well bring in Boucher or Bobrovsky or Leighton........:D
Geez Captain. I never realized you were such a twit. There is no such thing as FACT in terms of pure speculation.

He gets them to the 7th game of the finals (further than 28 other starting goaltenders) and suddenly the guy's a failure, useless and an all around bad guy.

You know, my wife may be on to something regarding the selective memory of men. Captain is clearly afflicted with it.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
He gets them to the 7th game of the finals (further than 28 other starting goaltenders) and suddenly the guy's a failure, useless and an all around bad guy.

Luongo is not the reason the Canucks made it as far as they did
the team in front of him is the reason
he was outplayed by the guy in the other net most games...and usually is
yes, he has his spectacular moments, but not enough

1st goal of the season was scored from behind the goal line...enough said

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

I would think that most people who post on here play some sort of team sports. At the end of the day you have your stars and your grinders or other key parts of players who make your team. Did Luongo get outplayed in the finals yes but then again so did alot of the Canucks including the Sedins! At the end of the day you win or lose as a team. Unfortunately for the people in Vancouver they feel better constantly bagging on Lou! Heck this guy has done pretty well here the last 4 years and that in part says alot about this team. At the end of the day only one team can win it all, and so far the Canucks are yet to be that team. Hopefully this is the year they can!:D

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
he was outplayed by the guy in the other net most games
Jesus. Yet again, more selective memory.

Do people in this town just choose to remember the crap from this guy? Why? He and Crawford were pretty much a wash, save for the one game Luongo let in 8. After the first couple of games against Nashville when Rinne stood on his head, Luongo outplayed him. Rinne wore down whereas Luongo buckled down. And if you can honestly sit there and tell me that Niemi played better than Luongo in the San Jose series when Louie was the ONLY reason the Canucks won the final two games after being vastly outplayed, then you're smoking crack.

rbks

Aug 12, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Now now fatmonkey!!!The fact is Louie is a good goalie but he's to up & down!You never know which goalie is going to show up!This city lives up to it's name goalie graveyard!!!!

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
!This city lives up to it's name goalie graveyard!!!!

Maybe because of stupid fans and media. I guess according to some of the fans here Babcock and yzerman don't know anything about hockey because they decided Luongo gave Canada the best chance to win gold. Oh right anybody could have won gold for Canada. I forgot.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0