Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canadian Women Striking

Reccos

Oct 7, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't profess to have any knowledge of the details of the dispute, but I can tell you this:

a) demanding that a valid (though idiotic) contract the CSA signed be torn up and

b) demanding that the federal government step in and fire the CSA board if it doesn't do exactly what the women demand

c) initiating a de facto wildcat strike

are all stunts that would motivate me to take an extremely hard line with them, were I involved with the CSA.

I shed no tears for the stuffed suits at the CSA, but fcuk me the players are either getting no advice or awful advice in terms of how to approach these things...
Normally, I'd agree with avoiding stunts like this but didn't the men's team pull off a stunt pre-world cup and it seemed to work.

The reality of today is that if you're stuck going through regular channels then the media is your only way to get noticed. It more often than not works.

The demands may be "idiotic" and unreasonable given the realities, however with the attention Hockey Canada is getting nationally with massive payouts for alleged sex offenses the federal government is watching as is the media giving it a lot of play.

Doesn't matter if the feds can't act, they have a bully pulpit to demand change.

The problem with these associations is that too often they over-rely on lawyers who aren't always the best policy advisors on how to deal with how to work with the players.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Isn't the key difference with the situation with the men episode is that there were no legal penalties for potentially $$$ for cancellation? Also, at the time, the men were not "legally" represented in the form of a "union" (for lack of a better term) whereas both the men and women now are?

On another note, something I read elsewhere recently regarding the budget cuts of going from 26 to 20... part of that is FIFA-related as size was reduced from 26 to 23... making the cuts in that respect not as egregious by CSA as portrayed.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Normally, I'd agree with avoiding stunts like this but didn't the men's team pull off a stunt pre-world cup and it seemed to work.

The reality of today is that if you're stuck going through regular channels then the media is your only way to get noticed. It more often than not works.

The demands may be "idiotic" and unreasonable given the realities, however with the attention Hockey Canada is getting nationally with massive payouts for alleged sex offenses the federal government is watching as is the media giving it a lot of play.

Doesn't matter if the feds can't act, they have a bully pulpit to demand change.

The problem with these associations is that too often they over-rely on lawyers who aren't always the best policy advisors on how to deal with how to work with the players.

Just because it works doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. I'd like to think we can do better than that as a society. The demands are illegal, illiberal, and unbefitting of members of a national team.

As far as the comment about lawyers, there are plenty of us with experience in sporting governance. Moreover, there are plenty (not I obviously) with experience at that level of athletic competition. Jock Climie, Stu Grimson, Ken Dryden - just three off the top of my head that spring to mind. There's another around here, but he wears a red sash on his robes now and is thus effectively disqualified...

I'd actually argue these types of organizations need a lot more lawyerly input than they currently have, but that's a different discussion for a different day...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

What are the relative payouts like for WC success? Like if the men crash out in the group, and the women make a deep run, do the men still earn a way bigger payout?

It seems to me that if that's the case, we're back to the Bill Burr arguments and the CWNT beef, if any, is with FIFA and women who don't show up to support female sports.

On the other hand, if the payouts are fairly similar, I'd start to have a fair amount of sympathy for the perspective of our ladies...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the Women got $1M when reaching the R16 at last World Cup whereas the Men got $9M just for getting to the World Cup... Might have been $8M, I'm paraphrasing what I remember reading but you get the drift :)

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I thought playing for national team should be about pride and honour. It should be an honour to be playing for national team. There are only few that ever get a chance to do it. Making money should be through your personal team, private team that you have a contract with. If you dont want to play for national team because they do not give you wages, then do not accept an invitation. Simple as that.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yeah, well in that case my sympathy for the women is crawling around on the floor. Join the men in questioning the deal the CSA signed with the CPL folks, fine, but bitching about the relative expenditures seems just a tad misguided...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
their whining is nauseating, full stop... shut up, play the game, then get back in the boardroom after... frankly I'd expect elite, professional athletes like them to be able to separate on and off field issues...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
their whining is nauseating, full stop... shut up, play the game, then get back in the boardroom after... frankly I'd expect elite, professional athletes like them to be able to separate on and off field issues...
Funny you say that because Beckie tweeting away:

Irritating to me these days:

"Stay Strong"
"We stand with you"

Just a bunch of bone smokers.

Season 4 Hr GIF by The Office

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0