Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada wins a man down

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada beat N Ireland 1-0 while being a man down for 78 minutes. Occean scored the goal shortly after our player was sent off.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Canada beats N. Ireland in soccer

Canadian Press

2/9/2005

BELFAST (CP) - Olivier Occean scored against the run of play and Canada, despite having a defender sent off midway through the first half, held on to defeat Northern Ireland 1-0 in a scrappy soccer friendly Wednesday.

Occean put Canada ahead in the 32nd minute, heading in a well-flighted Jim Brennan free kick. It was his first goal for Canada, coming in his eighth international appearance.

Canada is ranked 90th in the world, while Northern Ireland is No. 109.

The home side pressed the action throughout but failed to manufacture many real chances on a windy, rainy night at Windsor Park. When it did, goalkeeper Greg Sutton was up to the task.

Outside of the Occean goal, Northern Ireland goalkeeper Maik Taylor was spectator throughout the first half. The Birmingham City 'keeper gave way to Manchester United's Roy Carroll to open the second half as manager Lawrie Sanchez made changes.

While Carroll also had little to do, he required treatment after intercepting a ball and getting a sly Occean boot to the face.

Canada took captain and defender Kevin McKenna off seconds into the second half nursing an apparent knock. With defensive partner Gabe Gervais already missing because of two yellows, manager Frank Yallop was forced to send on Mike Klukowski and jerry-rig his defence.

Northern Ireland came at Canada in waves and it looked as if the home side was on a power play most of the second half. Canada had a chance to make it 2-0 late in the game when Dwayne DeRosario hit the crossbar after a solo rush while Northern Ireland's Steve Jones hit the post in extra time.

The home side was unlucky not to get a penalty when Daniel Imhof shouldered David Healy to the ground in the penalty box.

Canada, playing into a fierce wind in the first half, had looked on the ropes just prior to the Occean goal.

Gervais, earning just his fourth cap for Canada, was sent off in the 22nd minute for a second yellow card when he obstructed Healy. Minutes earlier the Montreal Impact defender had been cautioned for taking down Keith Gillespie outside the penalty box.

Gervais becomes the fourth player sent off in Canada's last eight matches, following Occean, Paul Stalteri and Iain Hume.

Northern Ireland almost scored on the kick that followed Gervais' first caution. The ball curled around the Canadian wall but bounced off a leg wide of the post.

The Gervais ejection seemed to further unnerve Canada, which found itself under siege.

A defensive error almost led to another goal later in the half when Canada failed to clear the ball. Minutes later, a windswept George McCartney cross from long range bounced off the goalpost into the arms of a grateful Sutton.

But Canada went ahead unexpectedly, thanks to the Brennan-Occean connection.

Late in the half, Healy headed wide after a Canadian giveaway. Sutton, posting his second shutout in as many national team appearances, stopped Healy's powerful shot on a sharp angle in the dying seconds of the half.

The home side kept up the pressure in the second half, with a Gillespie shot going high. Patrice Bernier almost scored an own goal on a miskick but the six-foot-six Sutton made the save.

Yallop elected to leave such established players as Stalteri, Julian de Guzman and Tomasz Radzinski at their European clubs so he can check out younger talent.

Canada's next match is a friendly in Portugal on March 26.

Northern Ireland used Wednesday's Canada game as a tuneup for World Cup qualifiers against England and Poland.

Northern Ireland is currently fourth in the six-country group with an 0-1-3 record after ties with Austria, Azerbaijan and Wales and a loss to Poland.

Notes: The win raised Yallop's record as Canadian manager to 5-4-2 ... The loss was only Sanchez's third in 12 matches as Northern Ireland boss ... Marco Reda won his first cap for Canada. ... McKenna captained Canada for the second game in a row. ... Canada tied Northern Ireland 1-1 in Belfast in 1999, the last time the two teams met.
For some reason I thought Northern Ireland was ranked ahead of Canada. This isn't a real "victory" for the program then. Too bad.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anytime Canada wins in international play it's a big victory, don't kid yourself. Even if it was against Captain's half cousins on his mothers fathers brothers side.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Northern Ireland came at Canada in waves and it looked as if the home side was on a power play most of the second half

You don't need to put it in hockey terms for Canadians to understand CP.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The home side pressed the action throughout but failed to manufacture many real chances on a windy, rainy night at Windsor Park. When it did, goalkeeper Greg Sutton was up to the task.
Since when did hitting the workwork 3 times not amount to a real chance?

Other than some lesser knowns getting some international exposure, not too much good should be brought outta this game... Canada was horrible I thought and will get stuffed badly against Portugal with a similiar effort.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Even if it was against Captain's half cousins on his mothers fathers brothers side.

Nice try, KNVB, but you have the wrong person who would follow that mob. Ask Guinness, as he lived there for 4 and a half minutes. He supports NORTHERN IRELAND. I couldn't give a fcuk about them. In fact, I enjoy watching them lose all the time because of the cnuts who follow them. I wonder if Canada knew anything about the area that surrounds the park they played today? It's probably better they didn't. I'm sure McKenna was hearing pelters from the bigots there because he has said in the past he would love to play for Celtic.

Northern Ireland Loyal :rolleyes:

cside17

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard the bars were hoppng in West Belfast,with people watching the game. That would be the real Irish team game, beating Portugal 1-0.I wonder if our Canadian lads went up the falls for a pasty supper. If they didn't, they missed the best part of Belfast!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Apparently the Canadians were treated with petrol bombs

You're 100% right once again Captain... :rolleyes: ALL the ignorant, prejudice, orange, dirty, loyal, protestant bastards are to blame for your ugly mug and closed minded bitterness... I mean, I would know this from my 4-1/2 minutes and all... :eek:
BTW, they have chippy's up there??? I was under the impression everyone from the falls road was a member of the IRA, on the dole and hated everything British??? :rolleyes:

Give up the sactarian crap for a change... Can't we all just get a long???

With love, Guinness

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Guinness said:
You're 100% right once again Captain... :rolleyes: ALL the ignorant, prejudice, orange, dirty, loyal, protestant bastards are to blame for your ugly mug and closed minded bitterness... I mean, I would know this from my 4-1/2 minutes and all... :eek:
BTW, they have chippy's up there??? I was under the impression everyone from the falls road was a member of the IRA, on the dole and hated everything British??? :rolleyes:

Give up the sactarian crap for a change... Can't we all just get a long???

With love, Guinness
Guinness what the fcuk do you know about loyalists & sactarian anyways,you all support the animals,who are scottish ,wear orange ,witch is a dutch thing,sing hail brittania,support the union joke & hate the engerlish,then tell everyone your Irish on paddys day :rolleyes: confused wee canadian :rolleyes: :eek: :D

UPTHERA ;) ;) ;)

sid

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong again, Guinness. Everyone on the Falls Road is enjoying life 26.5 million pounds richer, so your point is moot again.

BTW, what the fcuk is SACTARIAN?

Everybodyhate'susandwedon'tcare Loyal

Wearapeepil Loyal :rolleyes:

fourandahalfminutes Loyal

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Deportivo to Sign Canada Midfielder De Guzman

MADRID, Feb 10 (Reuters) - Deportivo La Coruna will sign Canada midfielder Julian de Guzman from Hanover 96 at the end of the season, the Primera Liga side said on Thursday.

Spanish media reported that De Guzman, who has played for Bundesliga side Hanover 96 since 2002, would sign a four-year contract with Deportivo.

"I'm delighted that the decision has been taken," the 23-year-old was quoted as saying on the website of Spanish sports daily Marca.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Guarda

Well done lads... You sure know how to change the subject better than most and turn it into a "all protestants are evil bastards" thread... Hate all you want, father MacWankalot is watching you... :rolleyes:

Orange/ManU/Rangers/English/Scottish/Irish/Yankee, Guinness :rolleyes: :eek:

Buckfast

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
cside17 said:
the falls for a pasty supper.

It would be the only decent thing in that sh!t hole. By the way, weren't you Cathaholics supposed to be eating fish yesterday. Mmmmm, fish pasty.

The Captain's a twat Loyal

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
only decent thing in that sh!t hole

Oh travelled one,

Please tell me about your experiences on the Falls Road? You're a fcuking Croatian/Scotsman, right? Who supports the Queen, right? And sings Rule Brittania, right? But you hate England. Bucky, enlighten us with your experiences in Belfast. Please.

Ignorantasfcuk Loyal

Guinness,

You should probably quit while you're ahead. You've hit rock bottom and are still digging.

Anyway, to stay on topic, I would NEVER support that cu<ba>nt of a football team. Well done, Canada, for beating 'Our Wee Country' and of course, well done to Ireland for gubbing the diving Portuguese.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh by the way, Guinness, I forgot to address another one of your mistakes. I have NOTHING against Protestants. In fact, I have a lot of Protestant friends. I hate loyalists and people who pretend to be. Right, Bucky? It is not a religion thing. Surely you living there for so long would understand that. Now if you want to talk about hate. Check on FF or Bucky's MSN. It is sure to mention how much the Irish Catholics are hated. You know, like Neil Lennon. I'm sorry I forgot. It's just his style of football, not the fact that he is a Catholic from the North of Ireland.

Hypocrit Loyal

terrytoo

Jan 26, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

sid said:
Guinness what the fcuk do you know about loyalists & sactarian anyways,you all support the animals,who are scottish ,wear orange ,witch is a dutch thing,sing hail brittania,support the union joke & hate the engerlish,then tell everyone your Irish on paddys day :rolleyes: confused wee canadian :rolleyes: :eek: :D

UPTHERA ;) ;) ;)

sid

So true to "the cause" he lives in Canadia. There must be a huge loyalist uprising there, beat those insurgents down, boy. Tell us about "the cause", Sydney. Your scholarly words seldom fall on deaf ears.

At least try and be a diligent Roman Catholic like me and explore as many Protesting ringpieces as you can. Of course His Holiness The Pope may not condone my homosexuality but I prefer the more progressive, less-archaic, leanings of the Roman Catholic Church.

Like those superstar author Dan Brown writes about, for instance.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't hate the Tims because they are Irish Catholic :D ... I hate them because they are terrorist/separtist Bastards! :cool:

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

follow follow!

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0