Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada MNT: Road to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
To add drama. Honduras is playing under protest because of referee bias towards Mexico given what happened in the Gold Cup.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm not quite following the issue with a businessman offering incentives for a team to win?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think mainly as a cash incentive as the team may not be so motivated right now to compete.

I'm hoping someone smart sent a bunch of paid-for-bimbos to their hotel to hang-out in the lobby last night.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Still don't see the issue.

How is that different from country federations paying players extra bonuses for performance in the World Cup?

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Things just got even worst for Canada:

"Mexico will be forced into a selection change, with Raul Jimenez joining the list of attacking absentees led by Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez and Jesus “Tecatico” Corona after suffering a knee injury against El Salvador. Hirving “Chucky” Lozano is, however, available after serving a suspension"

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

How is that different from country federations paying players extra bonuses for performance in the World Cup?

Ps. I think that the issue is that it is coming from a third country. Mexico has a lot to benefit from El Salvador throwing the game against Canada. A 4-0 can knock out Honduras completely from the Hex and World Cup. Mexico wants to play Canada. I guess the business man was trying to prevent opposite incentives, which have been caught in the past (i.e. Salvadorean players payed by people from Mexico and USA).

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

One scenario: GA. If Canada were to go up 2-0 after 45, the slope to 4-0 is pretty fast. But in an bribe scenario they may have incentive to keep a low GA.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh well ...well ... well....
Why the waters are so quiet here? Has reality finally sink in?
We have a national team ranked 100th in the world. Our soccer is just beside North Korea, Gabon, Mozambique, and just above Swaziland. Really shameful. If you do not know it, Swaziland is Kingdom of approximately one million people in Africa. The poorest African nations have better soccer teams than Canada.

Really pitiful performance in this qualifier. Nothing to rescue. Even yesterday, Canadian players were been danced around by a depleted 10 men squad which managed to score and to be fair should have tied the game. Instead our team had to rely on two offside goals.

Time to look in the mirror and be realistic. This shameful National team is the direct result of the way we pass the game to our kids. All the way from the grassroots all the way to the national teams.

If you are involved in the youth system, then we have the obligation to reflect and take responsibility. Do not wash your hands and think that the problem is because we lack a professional league.

I happened to stroll by youth soccer tournaments in the last month and 99% of those kids do not possess even the most basic football technical literacy. The ball bouncing all over, been passed around like hot potato or kicked in the air. Parents and coaches cheering and fostering some of the most ugly soccer that I have ever seen.

Almost no team can put three passes together (and this are not bronze,silver or gold teams).

A vast number of player been indoctrinated in a way of playing that leads to no-where. Boys and girls going home with big smiles thinking that they are playing well a game when in fact they are just playing non-sense.

This is where the challenge really lies. Making those coaches and parents aware that they are destroying our soccer future.
Yes, @Dude, keep giving ice cream to your players and teaching the "right thing right". Just do not complain when you see the national team rankings or our national team been danced around by poor and small nations, and please do not use as an scapegoat the lack of national league.
Why is it that the poor play better than us?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Two things:

1.) I coach girls. Last I checked our girls won a Bronze at the Olympics, which is considered the top competition for women (WWC being second). Maybe if our boys coaches would use ice cream incentives, we'd improve performance. In fact, I'm convinced this is true.
2.) Why do you keep using words like "we"? You made it clear on this thread you don't support Canada, and in fact hoped Canada would lose?
3.) You remain an asshole. Ever wonder why you can't make friends?

Oops, that's three.

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was a fun run....great game last night and no better way to watch then with all of the TTP crew.

Some highs and lows this qualifying round and in the end we came up a little short.

Was great scanning the crowd(and our own section) to see lots of people of different backgrounds supporting the country they live in win or lose. Seeing how much the crowd got behind Canada yesterday was great.

I actually do not support any professional teams. Never been a Canucks fan, Seahawks fan, Whitecaps etc.

I will watch sports if the game interests me.

The only team I support and actually get tickets to or PVR the games is Canada mens soccer.

So, as you can imagine, it has been a rough team to support and the only one I cheer for!

Just because they fell short again doesn't mean I won't be back again in two years again.

Thanks for setting up all the games @Regs!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach - I just got home since some fcukwit thought it would be a great idea to paint lines on HWY #1 when a large event is taking place downtown :rolleyes:

Loved the opportunity to go and support our MNT for all 3 games in Vancouver - even better with everyone here on TTP that shared the experience! Thanks everyone!

As for last night, well, a comedy of errors really - especially the lino in front of us. No clue whatsoever, perhaps the worst I have ever seen (and I've had @Walks do my own games in the past)!

:)

Floro's subs and tactics were perplexing... I read somewhere that in the post-game presser, Floro was questioned and he answered along the lines of "we won the game, no?"

:rolleyes:

Attiba is all class and it's a shame that more people out there can't appreciate just how good he is. He's 33 now, can't see him being apart of the next cycle :(

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh well ...well ... well....
Why the waters are so quiet here? Has reality finally sink in?
We have a national team ranked 100th in the world. Our soccer is just beside North Korea, Gabon, Mozambique, and just above Swaziland. Really shameful. If you do not know it, Swaziland is Kingdom of approximately one million people in Africa. The poorest African nations have better soccer teams than Canada.

Really pitiful performance in this qualifier. Nothing to rescue. Even yesterday, Canadian players were been danced around by a depleted 10 men squad which managed to score and to be fair should have tied the game. Instead our team had to rely on two offside goals.

Time to look in the mirror and be realistic. This shameful National team is the direct result of the way we pass the game to our kids. All the way from the grassroots all the way to the national teams.

If you are involved in the youth system, then we have the obligation to reflect and take responsibility. Do not wash your hands and think that the problem is because we lack a professional league.

I happened to stroll by youth soccer tournaments in the last month and 99% of those kids do not possess even the most basic football technical literacy. The ball bouncing all over, been passed around like hot potato or kicked in the air. Parents and coaches cheering and fostering some of the most ugly soccer that I have ever seen.

Almost no team can put three passes together (and this are not bronze,silver or gold teams).

A vast number of player been indoctrinated in a way of playing that leads to no-where. Boys and girls going home with big smiles thinking that they are playing well a game when in fact they are just playing non-sense.

This is where the challenge really lies. Making those coaches and parents aware that they are destroying our soccer future.
Yes, @Dude, keep giving ice cream to your players and teaching the "right thing right". Just do not complain when you see the national team rankings or our national team been danced around by poor and small nations, and please do not use as an scapegoat the lack of national league.
Why is it that the poor play better than us?

How can anyone think of blaming Youth Soccer Coaches for the abysmal state of the National Team Program?
The National Program suffers because the player pool isn't big enough & we don't have enough players playing, or training at a level high enough to compete at the level reqd. to progress to a World Cup.
If there was a Pro' league in Canada, you would improve the Coaches & players, by the level of competition & hopefully by the environment at training on a daily basis.
This, eventually, would lead to a trickle down effect, where youth & club coaches would learn from coaches in the pro game.
This will take years to develop, but other Countries have an advantage over us, because they have had this going on for years.

It is no coincidence that the only time Canada have qualified for a World Cup, is when we had 100 players playing & training with some of the top players of the world in the NASL.
Players like Bruce Wilson, Bobby Lenarduzzi, Ian Bridge, David Norman, the list goes on. Were training & playing with Beckenbauer, Pele, Cruyff, Kroll, etc.
Canada came close to qualifying in 1994 & made "The Hex" in 1998. This was a result of the player pool, still having the luxury of some of those players, plus the players that played in the now defunct CSL, which may not have been as good as the NASL in quality, but it allowed us to have a bigger pool of players who were playing & training at a higher level than we have now.

I have taken youth teams to England for games & to get a taste of the passion & culture.
They beat most of the teams & performed really well. The difference is, the better English players have a chance to "step up" & play at a higher level, where they are challenged even more, whilst our Canadians have nowhere to progress to after the age of 18.

In other Countries, many ex-pro's get involved in coaching at the youth level, giving back some of their experience to the young players.
How can Canada have ex-pro's give back, when we have too few ex-pro's?

We keep trying to solve these problems with a "New Coach" with a different accent, when the fact is, we have no chance, no matter who we employ as the Coach.
Having said that, I do believe the next Coach should be a Canadian & one that has been around the "pro-game", & has actually worked with professional players.

I hear rumors that a new league is in the works & we will have it up & running in the near future.
That will be the beginning of the solution, but it will take a long time to get to the level that we all want now.
I'm sure that CSA is aware of the situation & working to correct it.
My only question is, What took so long?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
1.) I coach girls. Last I checked our girls won a Bronze at the Olympics, which is considered the top competition for women (WWC being second). Maybe if our boys coaches would use ice cream incentives, we'd improve performance. In fact, I'm convinced this is true.
This is the perfect TTP post, can't like it enough... laughing too hard :)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gurps- I think you and I are almost 100% in agreement.

The only other team- footballing wise- I support, is the Whitecaps.

Don't get me wrong, I do love watching top level football, I love turning on the TV on Saturday mornings, or watching Champions League, or WC / Euro / Copa...but moreso for the quality. The only teams I'm emotionally invested in are Canada and the Caps. Morso Canada.

It's impossible for me to not support them, and to not hope they move on, so I can't fathom anyone who, from one side of their mouth claims to be a patriotic Canadian, then from the other says they hope our guys lose.

Winning, and qualifying through the Hex, would have done more to inspire our nation to "do the right things", from development all the way up to establishing a true Professional Domestic league, than anything else. Losing only sets us back.

And yes, we need that league. We need it as badly as we need an overhaul of our grassroots system. We need a true professional pathway for boys to aspire to. Right now, it's a black hole. If you fail to understand that, well...you are then incapable of discussing all the issues. Whether that is due to looking at a problem with eyes closed, or actual stupidity, who knows.

When I was young, I used to use the term "lucky" when talking with other players or coaches that grew up in footballing nations, with the direct implication being that I was unlucky to have been a footballer growing up in Canada.

Now older and wiser, I've adjusted that point of view. I never consider myself unlucky to be Canadian. Hell, it may very well be the biggest piece of luck ever granted me, to be born here. My parents didn't have to fight to get to Canada, neither did I...meanwhile good people are literally dying to escape the atrocities of their own countries get here. So, when non-Canadians try and insult us because our country is ranked 100th, in between war-torn nations and dictatorships, I am insulted, but only because that person doesn't see the big picture. I am actually very proud that our country values issues like democracy, opportunity, safety, and freedom above a game, while you can see many of these nations around us and ahead of us in the rankings may have their priorities backwards. Shame on them.

But...yeah, in my heart, it killed me leaving the stadium last night knowing we're now out. Is it the most important thing in my life or my heart? No. I too have my priorities straight...but my heart still hurts.

The decisions last night were baffling at times. I'm torn on Floro...for the life of me I could not wrap my head around many of his decisions over this run, but at the same time, it seems like he's attracting Canadians back to the program, and we need that. I guess we'll see over the next week what the players say and his future will be.

Last edited:

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry Gurps if I repeatedly called that linesman a 'Fcuking Wanker!' 23 times behind you last night.
Apologies to you too Regs, and your missus, as I'm sure your kids' ears didn't need to hear that.

:oops: :D ;)

Great time last night and a great result for the crowd.
That said, there are times out there when I do wonder how some of our guys make some pretty elementary mistakes at that level.
Easy to chirp from the seats but still...
A few times last night Gurps and I looked at each other with our eyebrows disjointed.
We have a ways to go unfortunately.

Ballbaby, etc. who say Atiba Hutchison is fantastic are right.
I've now watched him live a coupe of times and he is a stud - Full stop.
His first touch is excellent and he NEVER loses the ball.
Draws fouls, yet can hold guys off while they're doing that.
And he never, ever moans out there.
To the opposition or his teammates.
Like Gurps said - Would you take him instead of Morales' at his salary right now?
I bet we'd get him for way less too...

Great to see all the gang and thank you so much Regs for getting those pimped tickets again - Magic.

Cheers,
RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0