Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Canada MNT: Road to 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
View attachment 15809
It does not surprise me all the Pollyana posts. People are not ready to accept and acknowledge the harsh realities of our current soccer state of affairs.

It seems that you are regurgitating the propaganda of the Canadian soccer establishment that has led us to this disaster. I encourage you to review on the facts.

1) The Canadian soccer teams and players were nothing special or above their counterparts in the region. If they were good in 1986, then why they did so miserably in the 1990 qualification process where they were easily outplayed and dismissed by Guatemala in an preliminary round.

The 1986 is simply an historical aberration. Central America was in the middle of brutal civil wars. The best players were not in the National tams, and the ones that were sent to play where so underfunded that sometimes did not have even soccer balls or uniforms. Games would be cancelled or moved because of the war (i.e. played in empty stadiums). In addition, Mexico was not in the qualification process as they were hosts as we got an extra berth.

I do not know if you have actually seen those games, but Canada was playing literally kick and run and most of the goals that led to that qualification were lucky goals from corner kicks or free kicks. If you do not beleive me, look at these goals:

I will sum up the Canadian strategy of 1986 for the young boys of the TTP:
A) Get a corner kick or free kick and pray that one of our taller players gets a header.
B) Kick the ball as high as possible and as far as possible to the centre forward. He might control it and then blast into the net.
C) Put two banks of 8 defenders. Tackle the ball and then kick it forward.
D) Have a fit team that defends with 8, and then runs and kicks and runs and kicks the ball.

No real strategy or finesse. Yes, some of those guys might have played beside Pele, but they did not certainly brought back this style and vision back to the Canadian National Team.

The players of the 1986 were as limited and poor technically as the current one (perhaps even worst). They simply got really lucky on having Mexico hosting the World Cup, the Central America nations in wars, and then having two lucky corner kicks in (which by the way one of them was a foul that the linesman did not see).

As for the 1994 we almost made it; it is simply bullshit. There was another continental play-off to be played, and this one was always won by Commebol (i.e. Argentina or Uruguay or Brazil). Thus, do not kid yourself that we almost qualify in 1994.

Watch the games and goals of 1980 of Canada and you will see that they were not playing well.

I command you for taking youth teams out of the country. I might suggest that instead of taking them to England or Europe that you take them to Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, so you and the players do not get a distorted image. It is more realistic to play in Concacaf. That is the real competition for Canada. When teams are taken to Europe; they usually do not play the best players, or the opponents or coaches play at lower levels of effort.
The crude reality is that by U12 our boys are technically behind most players in CONCACAF and COMMEBOL. There is no point in hiding this reality.

The lag by U12 is not the fault of the National Team Program. It is the fault of the grassroot coaches, administrators and facilitators.
This is where the fixing needs to be done.

Yeah, it would be great to have a professional league, but MOST COUNTRIES that do not qualify also have professional leagues.
There is no need to have ex-professional players guiding the kids. This is like saying professional and top scientist should be teaching algebra and physics in elementary schools and high-schools. Successful soccer players make enough money during the careers and rarely teach the game or teach the game well.
In fact most of the best players in the world were not taught by profesional players in their early years. They learn the game on the streets, favelas, potrerors or you name it. Spaces where kids play they game with little adult supervision.

Let me put in a simply way for you to understand it. If a an ex-professional soccer player is teaching kids; then it means that he was not that really good because he did not get enough money to retire. It also means that a family is paying him to teach the kids to learn. The best players in the world come from the most humble circles because they are "hungry" to get better, so they can have a better living for themselves and their families. They did not have any money in the first place to hire a coach to teach them to play soccer.

This is one of the myths that I hear a lot. "I played pro" then I am qualified and are the best option to teach the game. Having received a salary to play for a few years, does not mean that a person understands how motor learning and cognitive process work. Yes, I grant that this might help some to understand the latter, bu it is the understanding of the process that leads to effective coaching and transmission of skills on to the young generations. If anything, ex-professionals make more damage than good when they try to directly transport the training process of adults into children and pre-adolescent children.

Benito did well for Canada. It is not bad to have foreign and more experienced coaches for the National Team.
I disagree that we need a coach born here.
We need coaches like Bora Milutinovic, LaVolpe, Bradley.
We need coaches who understand CONCACAF. Coaches who understand who to play in San Pedro, San Jose, the Azteca, the Mateo Flores, etc.

This is one of the main problems with our soccer community. We think that we are in Europe. We are not. Until we learn how Mexico and Central America and the Caribean plays, we will not beat them.

We have a lot to learn, but the main problem is that we refuse to accept that we have a lot to learn.

And your contribution to find the solution is????

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Soccer Coach doesn't understand something so simple like no one can stand you but expects us to understand and face reality with his idiotic comments?

are you going to get insulted by that too? Everything seems like its an insult to you LOL you going to go tell on me now?

Let me make something clear, before you get your panties twisted next time you feel insulted, remember YOU are an insult to TTP fcuktard

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
View attachment 15809
It does not surprise me all the Pollyana posts. People are not ready to accept and acknowledge the harsh realities of our current soccer state of affairs.

It seems that you are regurgitating the propaganda of the Canadian soccer establishment that has led us to this disaster. I encourage you to review on the facts.

1) The Canadian soccer teams and players were nothing special or above their counterparts in the region. If they were good in 1986, then why they did so miserably in the 1990 qualification process where they were easily outplayed and dismissed by Guatemala in an preliminary round.

The 1986 is simply an historical aberration. Central America was in the middle of brutal civil wars. The best players were not in the National tams, and the ones that were sent to play where so underfunded that sometimes did not have even soccer balls or uniforms. Games would be cancelled or moved because of the war (i.e. played in empty stadiums). In addition, Mexico was not in the qualification process as they were hosts as we got an extra berth.

I do not know if you have actually seen those games, but Canada was playing literally kick and run and most of the goals that led to that qualification were lucky goals from corner kicks or free kicks. If you do not beleive me, look at these goals:

I will sum up the Canadian strategy of 1986 for the young boys of the TTP:
A) Get a corner kick or free kick and pray that one of our taller players gets a header.
B) Kick the ball as high as possible and as far as possible to the centre forward. He might control it and then blast into the net.
C) Put two banks of 8 defenders. Tackle the ball and then kick it forward.
D) Have a fit team that defends with 8, and then runs and kicks and runs and kicks the ball.

No real strategy or finesse. Yes, some of those guys might have played beside Pele, but they did not certainly brought back this style and vision back to the Canadian National Team.

The players of the 1986 were as limited and poor technically as the current one (perhaps even worst). They simply got really lucky on having Mexico hosting the World Cup, the Central America nations in wars, and then having two lucky corner kicks in (which by the way one of them was a foul that the linesman did not see).

As for the 1994 we almost made it; it is simply bullshit. There was another continental play-off to be played, and this one was always won by Commebol (i.e. Argentina or Uruguay or Brazil). Thus, do not kid yourself that we almost qualify in 1994.

Watch the games and goals of 1980 of Canada and you will see that they were not playing well.

I command you for taking youth teams out of the country. I might suggest that instead of taking them to England or Europe that you take them to Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, so you and the players do not get a distorted image. It is more realistic to play in Concacaf. That is the real competition for Canada. When teams are taken to Europe; they usually do not play the best players, or the opponents or coaches play at lower levels of effort.
The crude reality is that by U12 our boys are technically behind most players in CONCACAF and COMMEBOL. There is no point in hiding this reality.

The lag by U12 is not the fault of the National Team Program. It is the fault of the grassroot coaches, administrators and facilitators.
This is where the fixing needs to be done.

Yeah, it would be great to have a professional league, but MOST COUNTRIES that do not qualify also have professional leagues.
There is no need to have ex-professional players guiding the kids. This is like saying professional and top scientist should be teaching algebra and physics in elementary schools and high-schools. Successful soccer players make enough money during the careers and rarely teach the game or teach the game well.
In fact most of the best players in the world were not taught by profesional players in their early years. They learn the game on the streets, favelas, potrerors or you name it. Spaces where kids play they game with little adult supervision.

Let me put in a simply way for you to understand it. If a an ex-professional soccer player is teaching kids; then it means that he was not that really good because he did not get enough money to retire. It also means that a family is paying him to teach the kids to learn. The best players in the world come from the most humble circles because they are "hungry" to get better, so they can have a better living for themselves and their families. They did not have any money in the first place to hire a coach to teach them to play soccer.

This is one of the myths that I hear a lot. "I played pro" then I am qualified and are the best option to teach the game. Having received a salary to play for a few years, does not mean that a person understands how motor learning and cognitive process work. Yes, I grant that this might help some to understand the latter, bu it is the understanding of the process that leads to effective coaching and transmission of skills on to the young generations. If anything, ex-professionals make more damage than good when they try to directly transport the training process of adults into children and pre-adolescent children.

Benito did well for Canada. It is not bad to have foreign and more experienced coaches for the National Team.
I disagree that we need a coach born here.
We need coaches like Bora Milutinovic, LaVolpe, Bradley.
We need coaches who understand CONCACAF. Coaches who understand who to play in San Pedro, San Jose, the Azteca, the Mateo Flores, etc.

This is one of the main problems with our soccer community. We think that we are in Europe. We are not. Until we learn how Mexico and Central America and the Caribean plays, we will not beat them.

We have a lot to learn, but the main problem is that we refuse to accept that we have a lot to learn.

Wow, is this guy for real?

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whatever Jigsaw.

Did you even watch the 1985-86 Campaign?

:rolleyes: :D ;)

I think the difference now is the goals that were set by the different teams.
In 1985-6 the team & staff's goal was to qualify & play in the World Cup. (Achieved)
Don't forget, there were only 24 teams then, so it was more difficult to qualify.
In 1994-98 the team & staff' goal was to qualify & play in the World Cup. (Made hex)
In 1994 only 1 team qualified, as USA had automatic berth, being the host nation.
If there had been 32 teams, like today, Canada would have qualified in 1994.
Canada lost to Mexico in final game, so we're very close to qualifying.
Don't forget, there were only 24 teams then, so it was more difficult to qualify.

In 2016 the team & staff's goal was to qualify for the Hex.
Don't forget there are 32 teams that qualify now, it should be easier to qualify, than in previous World Cups.

Was the goal set too low for this campaign?
Even if they'd made the Hex, would they have gone further?
I have my doubts.

Last edited:

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
And your contribution to find the solution is????
Refusing to accept and partake in the discourse that leads and covers this fiasco. You know having a ranking just below North Korea is not something that makes me proud. Yes, 100th sounds good, but thats about it.
imgres-1.jpg
What do you want me to do? Stand up and clap and join with enthusiasm the crowds in the red square. Blindly following the collective delusions that soothe and mask the reality that we live in.

You know people like @Dude and others here made me think that I am in North Korea. That I should be BLINDLY cheerleading for a national program or else....No tolerance for diversity of thought of speech.

We have little control in the macro aspects of the problem. We can not make the CSA to hire coaches for the national teams who have successfully qualified teams to the HEX, make youth clubs to send their teams to compete regularly to Mexico/Central America/Caribe, promote non-interfered small sided games and technical development and youth level.
It is so simple, yet there is no political or institutional desire to do it.

However, each of us can reflect on the situation and not use the scapegoat of a lack of professional league. That is an easy out. We can also question the myths of the past rather than just perpetuating them.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Refusing to accept and partake in the discourse that leads and covers this fiasco. You know having a ranking just below North Korea is not something that makes me proud. Yes, 100th sounds good, but thats about it.
View attachment 15814
What do you want me to do? Stand up and clap and join with enthusiasm the crowds in the red square. Blindly following the collective delusions that soothe and mask the reality that we live in.

You know people like @Dude and others here made me think that I am in North Korea. That I should be BLINDLY cheerleading for a national program or else....No tolerance for diversity of thought of speech.

We have little control in the macro aspects of the problem. We can not make the CSA to hire coaches for the national teams who have successfully qualified teams to the HEX, make youth clubs to send their teams to compete regularly to Mexico/Central America/Caribe, promote non-interfered small sided games and technical development and youth level.
It is so simple, yet there is no political or institutional desire to do it.

However, each of us can reflect on the situation and not use the scapegoat of a lack of professional league. That is an easy out. We can also question the myths of the past rather than just perpetuating them.

Oh, I get it.
This is "Take the Piss" .
Well done Sir, you have to be "Taking the Piss".

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think the difference now is the goals that were set by the different teams.
In 1985-6 the team & staff's goal was to qualify & play in the World Cup. (Achieved)
In 1994-98 the team & staff' goal was to qualify & play in the World Cup. (Made hex)
In 1994 only 1 team qualified, as USA had automatic berth, being the host nation.
If there had been 32 teams, like today, Canada would have qualified in 1994.
Canada lost to Mexico in final game, so we're very close to qualifying.

In 2016 the team & staff's goal was to qualify for the Hex.
Don't forget there are 32 teams that qualify now, it should be easier to qualify, than in previous World Cups.

Was the goal set too low for this campaign?
Even if they'd made the Hex, would they have gone further?
I have my doubts.
You know.. this is the type of bullshit and superficial thinking that I refuse to blindly follow and accept.

It is way harder for Canada to qualify now that in the past.
First,(numbers)
in the 1980's there were only 12 or 15 nations competing (yes, some teams like Jamaica would not even enter the competition).
Second (format)
Then there is the issue of the format. Before there was no dreaded Hex, just small group finalist which gave a higher chance to luck to give qualifications. In essence, a lucky preliminary group and a two lucky corner kick goals gave the classification to Canada.
Third (improvement of other nations)
In the 1980's, the USA, Caribe and many Central American Nations were either struggling socially or had little development.
Now you have better soccer (relative) from USA, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, Trinidad, Guatemala, and Cuba and a couple of two more little islands, . This leaves Canada ranked about 10th.
This is what YOU guys do not see. The rest of the region has improved a lot.
It is way harder for Canada to compete now than in the past.
We keep doing the same but other nations have left us in the dust.
So I am sorry, but I do not buy this bullshit propaganda that it was harder in the past and that the previous national teams were better. They simply got it easier.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
You know.. this is the type of bullshit and superficial thinking that I refuse to blindly follow and accept.

It is way harder for Canada to qualify now that in the past.
First,(numbers)
in the 1980's there were only 12 or 15 nations competing (yes, some teams like Jamaica would not even enter the competition).
Second (format)
Then there is the issue of the format. Before there was no dreaded Hex, just small group finalist which gave a higher chance to luck to give qualifications. In essence, a lucky preliminary group and a two lucky corner kick goals gave the classification to Canada.
Third (improvement of other nations)
In the 1980's, the USA, Caribe and many Central American Nations were either struggling socially or had little development.
Now you have better soccer (relative) from USA, Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica, Trinidad, Guatemala, and Cuba and a couple of two more little islands, . This leaves Canada ranked about 10th.
This is what YOU guys do not see. The rest of the region has improved a lot.
It is way harder for Canada to compete now than in the past.
We keep doing the same but other nations have left us in the dust.
So I am sorry, but I do not buy this bullshit propaganda that it was harder in the past and that the previous national teams were better. They simply got it easier.

He He
Your priceless.
Where have you come from?
You are a breath of fresh air, for "taking the piss"
You have re-defined the meaning of it.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
He He
Your priceless.
Where have you come from?
You are a breath of fresh air, for "taking the piss"
You have re-defined the meaning of it.

Soccer Coach.
You have to be on here, just to try to wind people up.
Very amusing.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. and if you doubt that Concacaf has improved, then check the standing of Costa Rica and Mexico in the last World Cup. Costa Rica eliminated Italy and England and Mexico tied for first with Brazil in their respective groups.

Are you really telling us that it is easier now than in 1986?

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. In case you did not know, Costa Rica tied Netherlands in a quarter-final match. A Concacaf team reaching this levels in 1980's it would have been a miracle. Canada did not score a single goal in 1986 and El Salvador lost 11-0 the previous tournament. Thus, please spare me children tales than before was harder for our Canadian teams.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. and if you doubt that Concacaf has improved, then check the standing of Costa Rica and Mexico in the last World Cup. Costa Rica eliminated Italy and England and Mexico tied for first with Brazil in their respective groups.

Are you really telling us that it is easier now than in 1986?

Eerrrrr!!!
YES
32 teams.
24 teams.
Do the math.
How many teams qualified from CONCACAF then & now?
You've got to be kidding.
If your not, your a waste of time responding to.
Either sober up, or get a grip man.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. In case you did not know, Costa Rica tied Netherlands in a quarter-final match. A Concacaf team reaching this levels in 1980's it would have been a miracle. Canada did not score a single goal in 1986 and El Salvador lost 11-0 the previous tournament. Thus, please spare me children tales than before was harder for our Canadian teams.
That's it.
No more replies to you.
As someone else has stated before. "You're an idiot"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0