Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

BCTF Strike 2012

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CS

Yes people abuse the sick days in variety of jobs. But the way teachers have it setup, all they have to do is call a general number. press 1 for english.. Then enter an id number.

I think they call it " taking a 10 personal".. Im sure you have heard that phrase used before.

Anyhow, nothing personal.. but you have a lot of colleague's abusing the systems your selves fought for a had put in place from the last dispute.

No problem, Akslop.....but I honestly don't know what your are referring to with that phrase. :confused: Either way, perhaps it could be argued that we get too many sick days and perhaps giving up some of these could help free up some money.......but I want two weeks bereavement when we lose our cat. That's what it's all about. :rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain, would you say that you are in the minority when it comes to your thoughts/beliefs? or do you feel like more actually feel like you but keep quiet for fear of being ostracized etc?

Tough to say, JBN, but I do no several teachers who voted NO to the strike but are standing in the leaflet line just to collect $50. That doesn't make sense to me. IF I had to guess, from teachers I've talked to, I would go for the latter. I know where I stand and that is why I'm typing right now getting ready to take my daughter to her basketball practice at the Olympic Oval before their PRovincial Championships which start on Thursday. Go Wildcats! BTW, we had to pay for the use of the facility as the gym at school was not accessible........

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd still like to hear what the TF has to say about why they thought it was a good idea to petition their members to vote Yes to Extinguish the HST when they knew it would put a hole in the fiscal boat of BC directly in the middle of a storm with the Govt on their contract.

The TF fancies itself as the unofficial opposition in every government's tenure in BC. They've been at odds with the Libs, the N-Dippers, and the Socreds. They aren't a union as much as they are a polticial lobby group. They align with whomever is in official opposition-whether or not they have a clue- and then try to suck more life out of the govt.

They can't say "we need..."
a) More Money
b) More Benefits
c) More teachers
d) More Schools
e) More Speech pathologists/pschy's/and Councillors

and then tell your membership to boot the HST, force a payback of $3B to the Feds and expect a hike in Income Taxation and think the govt is just sitting on a pile of money. It doesn't add up.

Do the Math teachers have their own Union?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's about our kids. Right. Okay.

B.C. government disrupted as striking teachers picket - The Globe and Mail

So the TF tells people to go and "rally" elsewhere so that other unions can't "cross picket lines" specifically places not barred from picketing in the LRB's ruling.

For shame.
Why don't they picket all the places parents are taking their kids for stuff to do when they are on strike?

I cannot believe that a majority in this province will continue to "support" the teachers if this keeps up...

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The real question is.........when is Benfica going to break down this stubborn Zenit squad? It will open things up if they manage to score one.

Reactions: sid

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry guys I think you've lost the plot. We all agree that the education system needs to be properly funded and that we need
more special ed teachers etc. Surprise surprise it all comes down to money. Teachers do not deserve a cut in pay. That's what
net zero means.
Inflation will probably top 2% for 2012, so why should teachers get a 2% cut in pay? Of course the teachers went in with a whole
bunch of dumb stuff. The problem is neither side trusts the other. There is no communication between the parties which makes
successful collective bargaining impossible. Get a mediator in there, (hello vince ready), get some recomendations, get the
teachers a cola clause and lets move on.

My kid's teachers are unreal. They don't deserve the kind of comments some of you are making on this board.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Teachers do not deserve a cut in pay. That's what
net zero means.
My kid's teachers are unreal. They don't deserve the kind of comments some of you are making on this board.

Did your kids teacher's tell u that?

cause its wrong..

1) give and take

or

c/p

2) 1. Jim gets hired to work for the Ministry of Children and Families as a social worker. He starts at Grid Level 22, Step 1 (there are a total of 5 pay steps) and his salary is pegged at $49,040.06 per year.

2. The government has imposed a 0% pay increase for the next three years.

3. However, after Jim has worked for the government for one year, he is automatically entitled to move up to pay step level II. In other words, he gets an automatic pay increase.

4. Jim's annual salary will now be $50,522.97. On his fifth anniversary, Jim will move to pay step level five and receive just under $60,000 in salary.

So despite the fact there is a 0% pay increase, Jim still ends up receiving an annual pay raise for the first five years he works for the government in that job. If after five years Jim starts in a new job in the government, he may well start at pay step level I and the whole process will start all over again. I trust this all makes dollars and sense!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Did I miss something?

I didn't see any comments directed at your kid's teachers.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I never got cost of living, not over 5 years, not a drop of an increase. I get 2 weeks paid vacay and no pension. Did I get a pay cut? No - I'm joe average that works outside the public sector!
Not getting a raise/merit increase/cost of living increase doesn't mean teachers are getting a pay cut!

Can you read canuckboy? I posted on the prior page:
But Niels Veldhuis, a Fraser Institute budget expert, said his calculations find that education funding has increased by 32 per cent since the Liberals were elected in 2001 and when inflation is factored into the equation, the increase is still 10.8 per cent.
He said the teachers' union is calling the education numbers a cut when the money has actually increased, though at a slower rate than spending on health care.
"What they (the teachers' union) are doing, in my opinion, is purposefully misleading British Columbians because they're suggesting that education has been cut when that is 100-per-cent absolutely false," said Veldhuis, who suggested skeptics consult page 144 of the government's current budget and fiscal plan to see the increases.
Education Ministry statistics also indicate another source of the confusion: Money for education is based on the number of pupils in the system and those numbers are dropping. Ministry statistics show student enrolment has dropped almost 42,000 students this year compared to last year to 556,045 students provincewide.
Per-pupil funding has increased $2,229 per student to $8,491 for each student, but there are fewer students being funded.
Net Zero (also if you can read) means that no extra funding is heading to them. They have a choice: If they want more money for programs- no raise. If they want a raise- they still get drooling Johnny and ADD Jane in their classrooms with no added help with the extra 32 other kids.

Public sector workers, often times, choose their professions willingly- and fully understand that they will get average to fair wage with awesome benefits, which also comes with awesome security and stability. The Public sector rarely ever "Right Sizes" or "Down Sizes" and there's more teachers than classrooms right now.

No Raise doesn't = Pay Cut.

If I don't make my numbers next month/quarter/year- I'm fired. You basically have to kill or rape a kid to get fired as a teacher in this province. There's a PAC in New West trying to get to the bottom of one specific Math teacher whose kids are failing at alarming rates, the District and BCTF are blocking the FOIA request to get info on this guy...how much do you suppose this specific moron math teacher is costing us taxpayers by being incompetent?

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did your kids teacher's tell u that?

cause its wrong..

1) give and take

or

c/p

2) 1. Jim gets hired to work for the Ministry of Children and Families as a social worker. He starts at Grid Level 22, Step 1 (there are a total of 5 pay steps) and his salary is pegged at $49,040.06 per year.

2. The government has imposed a 0% pay increase for the next three years.

3. However, after Jim has worked for the government for one year, he is automatically entitled to move up to pay step level II. In other words, he gets an automatic pay increase.

4. Jim's annual salary will now be $50,522.97. On his fifth anniversary, Jim will move to pay step level five and receive just under $60,000 in salary.

So despite the fact there is a 0% pay increase, Jim still ends up receiving an annual pay raise for the first five years he works for the government in that job. If after five years Jim starts in a new job in the government, he may well start at pay step level I and the whole process will start all over again. I trust this all makes dollars and sense!

This is the biggest fact the public is missing.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
If they want a raise- they still get drooling Johnny and ADD Jane in their classrooms with no added help with the extra 32 other kids.
QUOTE]

Our classrooms are just like TTP.

32 regular posters, and then Sid and Mr.Base as the two extra kids. Regs manages it just fine so why can't the teachers?

Gurps,

Your math is wrong. Sid equals 2 persons so when you add that with mr. base it should equal 3 extra kids.. It should also be known that Regs is a certified PIP. ("Professional Internet Prick")

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
lol sorry I didn't read the Fraser Institute Study, any more than I would believe the BC fed's numbers.
Bluenose don't compare yourself to others because it simply isn't fair. Going by me we just got a 20% raise over 8
8 years in the private sector. Does that mean that is what the teachers should get? Of course not.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
We got an 8% raise in the Private Sector? Or you Did? :confused:

What I'm trying to tell you is that regardless of whichever study you want to look at...not getting a raise over a certain amount of time doesn't equate to a pay cut for whatever the COL or Inflation rates were. Not getting a raise over 5 years and having an average COL increase of 1.7% doesn't mean you can add 1.7 5 times and say you got an 8.5% Pay Cut.

I'd hate to be your accountant.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0