Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
angry season 3 GIF

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't stand the play by play crew...

"Theo Bair looking to recapture some of the form that he's shown..."

Stop - he's been been below par start to finish and they had to go out and get a lacklustre backup because he couldn't even handle that role.

I swear there's an extra fifty in the contract every time they mention how awesome Teibert is, and an extra twenty for any other residency "product"...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't stand the play by play crew...

"Theo Bair looking to recapture some of the form that he's shown..."

Stop - he's been been below par start to finish and they had to go out and get a lacklustre backup because he couldn't even handle that role.

I swear there's an extra fifty in the contract every time they mention how awesome Teibert is, and an extra twenty for any other residency "product"...

Second match I've missed recently due to ambivalence. Caught the last bit by chance at a restaurant last night. Saw it saw 3-0 or something and went back to my blackened chicken.

Dude likes blackened chicken.

Good thing I didn't hear that comment, I would have thrown a shoe at the TV, then there would be a story in the paper of the man who threw a shoe and broke the TV at Joey's Kitchen then punched the server for good measure.

Bair? "Form"? Isn't the issue that he's never shown form, or speed, or any footballing IQ whatsoever? I guy born with a body made for the game that just can't seem to figure out how to actually play the game? Fcuk off. This is what makes me hate people.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who said that, Blake Price or Dolie?

I zeroed in on RT during the game and he really is lost out there. It is like he has been programmed to do nothing. When he shows for the ball, he runs to a spot, points to his feet and then waits. Never checks out to clear space if not given. Ever. Rinse and repeat. On the defensive side, always marking space. Once opposition closest to him gets ball, mad dash towards them and then... jockeys. No attempt to win the ball, force the opposing player to do something, nada. Rinse and repeat.

Then I noticed that his teammates are not really paying attention to him. That's not a good look for your "captain".

Raposo comes on and what do I see? Basically the same as RT. Shows and points to his feet and then stands there.

I don't know why I still watch. The more and more I do as the older I get, the more mad / angry I feel that our generation got the short end of the stick. These guys make good money with a poor skillset / mind for the game... I can name off 25-30 guys from my playing days who would run rings around them.

And maybe 4-5 chicks from coed.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
…..

I don't know why I still watch. The more and more I do as the older I get, the more mad / angry I feel that our generation got the short end of the stick. These guys make good money with a poor skillset / mind for the game... I can name off 25-30 guys from my playing days who would run rings around them.
…..
LOL. A week or so ago I said the same thing, and you disagreed. Maybe it was just regarding Alexandre, but regardless, I agree.

You 100% nailed RT. The marking of space drives me mad, because if he were at least tight to his man, he will take away the easy option.

Checking in and out should never be an issue at this level. Maybe someone needs to bust out the salt and pepper shakers at the next team meal and explain it.

Yes, the ~1970-1980 born players definitely short changed to have missed this opportunity to play in MLS and actually make a living, and hey, maybe really put yourself in the shop window. I try to explain it to guys new to BC, guys especially from the UK. They always come over thinking they can walk right onto any squad. Used to be the 86ers / WFC (USL version), then trickle down through the leagues till they land on Div. 1 or 2, and still can't hold a spot. My respect level for Canadian born players on our National team prior to the Canadian MLS era was so high simply because most had no right ever getting a look outside of Canada, why WOULD professional environments overseas entertain the request for a trial? Based on what? It came down to having some obscure family connection to even get those looks, and then finding a way to stick against either other imports w/ acumen, or after that, simple predjudice. So, those guys that somehow did carve out a career? Serious hats off.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
It was Dolan with the Bair love...

RT, glad to see others coming around to my way of thinking on him. Nothing to add - for once.

As much of an obvious joke as it is that he's their captain... who would you give it to? the team has no identity, no calming voice, no take charge, impact player... Andy Rose is as close as I see to a leader out on the pitch and he's got one foot in the technical area already. Pull a Bobby Lou and give the armband to Crepeau? I dunno.

I guess it has to be hard to attract talent when you're selling them on coming to a soccer refugee camp indefinitely, then packing at a moments notice to move to yet another foreign country, oh and please have all your visa paperwork sorted because God knows we'll fcuk it up royally if we have to deal with it - see Adnan, Ali.

In other words, please come play for a shite team in a shite league and live out of a suitcase indefinitely, and do who knows what with your wife and kids if you have em.

In retrospect, it was gloriously bad timing to shite-can 21 players all at once - sure no one knew Covid was coming, but here we are and it isn't remotely pretty...

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh yeah - FWIW I was born in '79 and am blissfully content in the knowledge that the lack of an opportunity to play in MLS had absolutely nothing to do with my failed professional football career...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh yeah - FWIW I was born in '79 and am blissfully content in the knowledge that the lack of an opportunity to play in MLS had absolutely nothing to do with my failed professional football career...
That's a pretty full boat. You take right oar, I'll grab the left. :D

Gurps

Mar 28, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do you guys think the whitecaps played a part in Bairs poor development?

Reason I say that is he is more of a central striker.

For the past few seasons when they have put him on the field they played him out wide.

Just seems to me he should be placed a a central striker as that suits him best given his body type and the way he plays.

Not making any excuses for the guy but odd the caps generally played him wide never made any sense to me.

As for Tiebart I actually saw a play the other game where Tiebart was wide open with space in front and Caio Alexander looked right at him and instead of passing to him switched the ball the other way.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do you guys think the whitecaps played a part in Bairs poor development?

Reason I say that is he is more of a central striker.

For the past few seasons when they have put him on the field they played him out wide.

Just seems to me he should be placed a a central striker as that suits him best given his body type and the way he plays.

Not making any excuses for the guy but odd the caps generally played him wide never made any sense to me.

As for Tiebart I actually saw a play the other game where Tiebart was wide open with space in front and Caio Alexander looked right at him and instead of passing to him switched the ball the other way.
He was ruined at age 8-12 when no one bothered to work on his ball skills, as far as I can tell.

He's typical of a system that identifies "select" players as young as u6 and u7 and focuses the coaching and development on them alone.

By the time puberty hits and you realize you have a physical specimen on your hands, it's far too late. There's a reason the ball jumps off his foot like a fcuking grenade whenever it's played to him, and that's why they can't play him up top in a 4-3-3 - it just doesn't work. Hurtado wasn't much differently, frankly.

The opposite end of the spectrum is Romelu Lukaku. Same physical beast, but when the ball is played into him it's like he has velcro on his boots and it becomes impossible to get it off him. It's a skill that I don't think Bair will ever successfully master, unfortunately...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't think of a single player that the Caps "developed" that went on to be a good player (never mind great).

Davies doesn't count as I don't think they really had too much of a hand in developing - he already had the tools and how long exactly was he in their system?

As @Dude has said over the years, the Caps are a young player's grave yard.

Any players that have gone through their system has ended up either in some level below MLS where they are not exactly lighting it up (to be fair, I don't follow the CPL as much as I should so maybe they are on fire) or have drifted off into local amateur leagues.

I'd even go so far as to say TSS Rovers have a better chance in spring boarding young players onto better things than the Caps. Just ask them and their supporters if you don't agree :)

Kinda generous to themselves on some on that list, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0