Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2021 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
LOL.

Yes, a 3 month summer season definitely was the bedrock of those former USL2 players' development!

For the record, ex-Whitecap Bustos is a CPL MVP candidate. However, with CPL level being what it is, it's virtually impossible for them to move him up to a higher level, because no one outside Canada takes the league seriously.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I actually thought the caps played well for about 30 minutes in the first half and things looked promising for a bit.

RT, it's hard to watch the regression from a few years ago but it's over now. I want to root for him but his confidence is so low nowadays. I can't believe he played attacking winger for Canada in a couple of games a few years back. Now he can't even be close to be considered for the team. That's how far he's gone backwards.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can't think of a single player that the Caps "developed" that went on to be a good player (never mind great).

Kinda generous to themselves on some on that list, no?

Dario Zanatta is quality. Of course, he was also smart enough to decline their offer and fcuk off to Scotland.

The creative license on that list is really something else. Jake Ruby, for instance, is a kid Mountain tried to tell the Caps to take a look at multiple times. Nope, nope, nope... Then they finally sign him, have him for about the last six months give or take of his youth career, he moves on to Halifax in the CPL, and he's a "residency product"?

I guess if you've produced exactly nothing of substance you claim that as a trophy, but it doesn't make it any more legit.

The emperor has no clothes, and it's a big part of why they're bottom of the table... again...

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
He hasn't gone backwards, he was never what they tried to tell us he was in the first place.
They?...CMNT?
Zambrano or MTKB. Give me a break!

I don't see why you can't see RT had a couple of good seasons. He wasn't a superstar but he was in good FORM at the time.

Now his form is shite.

This is something I don't understand. We have a Canadian caps player who was in good form, forced his was in to a very talented CMNT with a respected coach and then there's people like you just hoping he lays an egg. Well you got your wish. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you might break your spine.

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The creative license on that list is really something else. Jake Ruby, for instance, is a kid Mountain tried to tell the Caps to take a look at multiple times. Nope, nope, nope... Then they finally sign him, have him for about the last six months give or take of his youth career, he moves on to Halifax in the CPL, and he's a "residency product"?

I guess if you've produced exactly nothing of substance you claim that as a trophy, but it doesn't make it any more legit.
The emperor has no clothes, and it's a big part of why they're bottom of the table... again...
I agree, the whitecaps residency has not produced players, and the HPL has been redesigned by BCSA to allow groups like TSS into HPL because HPL has been as successful as the whitecaps residency.
Maybe the whitecaps residency will hire former HPL clubtechnical directors, (that already happened).

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
@machel what are you even talking about? He played a total of 3 games under Zambrano, with only 1 being a start.

It was that hack Benito Floro that gave him the bulk of his caps in the 2013-2015 period.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree, the whitecaps residency has not produced players, and the HPL has been redesigned by BCSA to allow groups like TSS into HPL because HPL has been as successful as the whitecaps residency.
Maybe the whitecaps residency will hire former HPL clubtechnical directors, (that already happened).

This is a massive revision of history.

BCSPL allowed more groups in because they were mandated to do so by Jason DeVos and CSA.
If you get a "CSA National Club Youth License" then BCSPL has to let you in. Simple as that.

Comparing BCSPL development to Whitecaps is obviously not an apples to apples comparison because Whitecaps are always skimming the top players from BCSPL.

However, if you look at graduating Whitecaps players vs BCSPL, the 20 or so Whitecaps players have loads of scholarship offers if they can't find professional opportunities. The 160 graduating BCSPL players... you're lucky if 1 kid for the entire age group gets an NCAA D1 scholarship.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They?...CMNT?

I don't see why you can't see RT had a couple of good seasons. He wasn't a superstar but he was in good FORM at the time.

Now his form is shite.

This is something I don't understand. We have a Canadian caps player who was in good form, forced his was in to a very talented CMNT with a respected coach and then there's people like you just hoping he lays an egg. Well you got your wish. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard, you might break your spine.
My POV....

Firstly, I'm a huge proponent of promoting from within, and as @Regs has said, WFC has been a graveyard for young players. This club is horrible at development once these players either age out or show they have reached the ceiling the lower level academy groups can offer. How many players over the years were signed to the 1st team, then stalled out? It's a long bloody list!

Bustos and Ferose for example...

When those players came in, they should have been placed in positions with opportunities to succeed. There were a lot of rumblings...the players had chips on their shoulders and behaved entitled (body language was really bad, too)...but that kind of stuff IS ON THE COACHING STAFF!

Bustos....5 years too early? It's obvious he's a good player with a good head on his shoulders, I'd have rather the club invest in him than Tiebert. 100%, I'd rather develop an attacking piece than a defensive piece. Finding strong, smart, attack minded players that have good technique, that are also Canadian, means you've found a unicorn. IMO, they let go of a unicorn in Bustos, or turned a unicorn into a donkey, however you want to look at it.

Ferose, I think the easy book was written on him early, but again...shame on the staff.

Success as a Canadian club means you have strong stepping stones and professional development so that your squad is internally stocked w/ players meeting true domestic status, and hell, maybe the odd player you can sell on for a tidy profit. Yes, hardware is nice, too, and we need that to be strong at the gate and marketing departments.

Back to RT....I'll put my hand up and say that it did appear for a couple of years it was coming along for him. If he were to be used as a player that could spot others in a variety of positions when needed, that has value. But now? I don't even know what we have? Certainly not leadership. He's almost afraid to have the ball at his feet. There is zero appreciable bottom line, not statistically, and not in the sense that the eye test catches but the stats guy doesn't there is nothing there, yet this club has a mandate to force feed this fcuking guy every chance they get. Move on!

So many issues....mangers too afraid to play young players and live with young player mistakes, from force feeding square pegs in round holes (Bair), to outright development failure (Bair). Of, and part of these failures? NO USL STEPPING STONE!

Ugh.

Spankmemanky

Apr 18, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money

BCSPL allowed more groups in because they were mandated to do so by Jason DeVos and CSA.
If you get a "CSA National Club Youth License" then BCSPL has to let you in. Simple as that.

Comparing BCSPL development to Whitecaps is obviously not an apples to apples comparison because Whitecaps are always skimming the top players from BCSPL.

However, if you look at graduating Whitecaps players vs BCSPL, the 20 or so Whitecaps players have loads of scholarship offers if they can't find professional opportunities. The 160 graduating BCSPL players... you're lucky if 1 kid for the entire age group gets an NCAA D1 scholarship.
Agreed

what signing for residency gets you is the marketing arm of the snake…..if you have any talent they showcase it and collect the cheque and the praise.

they sell you as a “residency product and give the actual club and coaches that developed you nothing.

the whitecaps have collected millions from the minions who believe their rubbish of a player centred program.

you’ll hear about how they developed AD until they go hoarse….the less the speak the better

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
@machel what are you even talking about? He played a total of 3 games under Zambrano, with only 1 being a start.

It was that hack Benito Floro that gave him the bulk of his caps in the 2013-2015 period.
That start was in the Gold Cup knockout game in 2017 over players such as Osorio and MAK. An unfortunate 2-1 loss and the coming out party to one AD at that tourney.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
That start was in the Gold Cup knockout game in 2017 over players such as Osorio and MAK. An unfortunate 2-1 loss and the coming out party to one AD at that tourney.

So what, are you somehow crediting RT with AD's performance?

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money

Ice Cube Friday GIF

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
They?...CMNT?

Now his form is shite.

Actually, I hope the Caps win the Supporter's Shield and I hope the CMNT makes the World Cup again in my lifetime. A goal would be a bonus.

I will not apologize for being quite critical of the Wil E. Coyote path the Caps and the CMNT have been taking to get there.

Russell Teibert is the coach's son. He's quite plainly out of his depth at the level, everyone knows it, but no one does anything about it because... well, just because... then they have the audacity to make him the captain, and then he has the audacity to throw the entire locker room under the bus at the end of the year.

And yet, there remain people like you defending him.

Remarkable.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money

*boys side. girls side the BCSPL teams send plenty of players stateside on good scholarships - I'm sure the REX program does better but if you have a daughter that wants to play soccer collegiately in the US, the BCSPL is a great spot for her to develop.

Years ago I was tasked with drafting the original constitution and bylaws for the then HPL (because that's how that goes when you're a lawyer). Oddly enough, the BC BOG made it a point to create the specific part dealing with the authority chain.

I was never quite comfortable with it because it always left a trap door for BC to come along and say "yeah, we're taking this in-house now"... I'm not involved anymore so I can't say precisely what has happened, but from the sounds of it that's exactly what they've done.

De Vos cares about one thing - the CMNT. It seems as though if he had his druthers the District system would be abolished. I don't get the sense that "soccer for life" is really a priority there, which is concerning.

On the other hand, I do get a certain level of amusement out of suits from the CSA waltzing into BC AGM's and lecturing us rubes on how things have to be, when their men's team is ranked about 80th and the women ranked about 6th or 7th out of 10 credible teams...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
*boys side. girls side the BCSPL teams send plenty of players stateside on good scholarships - I'm sure the REX program does better but if you have a daughter that wants to play soccer collegiately in the US, the BCSPL is a great spot for her to develop.

Years ago I was tasked with drafting the original constitution and bylaws for the then HPL (because that's how that goes when you're a lawyer). Oddly enough, the BC BOG made it a point to create the specific part dealing with the authority chain.

I was never quite comfortable with it because it always left a trap door for BC to come along and say "yeah, we're taking this in-house now"... I'm not involved anymore so I can't say precisely what has happened, but from the sounds of it that's exactly what they've done.

De Vos cares about one thing - the CMNT. It seems as though if he had his druthers the District system would be abolished. I don't get the sense that "soccer for life" is really a priority there, which is concerning.

On the other hand, I do get a certain level of amusement out of suits from the CSA waltzing into BC AGM's and lecturing us rubes on how things have to be, when their men's team is ranked about 80th and the women ranked about 6th or 7th out of 10 credible teams...

Yes, I'm only talking about boys side. Let's be honest, with title XI in the USA, any university with a 53-player roster for the men's American Football program is going to have an absolute boatload of female scholarships to hand out. Add in the fact that far fewer countries are producing female than male soccer players, and voila - plenty of scholarships in NCAA for Canadian girls that play at a decent level. Even local academies that couldn't previously play BCSPL were having their players regularly land them.

As far as CSA vs BC Soccer, I am sorry to say I have little faith in either to make the necessary changes to increase player retention (this is a serious issue at nearly every youth club) or develop top end talent to improve the CanMNT. As far as I'm concerned we should burn the whole thing down and start over!

Spankmemanky

Apr 18, 2019
Tokens
Dirty Money
What I think is hilarious is the fact we’ve based our PD system on the English system….. only for England to be progressive and copy the Germans, Belgians system

by the time we adopt the new system we’ll be 10 years behind again….

burn it to the fcuking ground!!!

and put people in place that have a scooby doo about long term player development, retention and not a bunch of ostriches that reap the benefits of association with the Association

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually, I hope the Caps win the Supporter's Shield and I hope the CMNT makes the World Cup again in my lifetime. A goal would be a bonus.

I will not apologize for being quite critical of the Wil E. Coyote path the Caps and the CMNT have been taking to get there.

Russell Teibert is the coach's son. He's quite plainly out of his depth at the level, everyone knows it, but no one does anything about it because... well, just because... then they have the audacity to make him the captain, and then he has the audacity to throw the entire locker room under the bus at the end of the year.

And yet, there remain people like you defending him.

Remarkable.

RT is kind of like when my work day involves me driving many kilometers and hours in a day and I turn on the radio and all i get is Justin Bieber or the Weekend or Drake playing. I can change the dial but still get one of their songs being played without a doubt.

God damn Canadian content I tell ya!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts