Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harvey had the best seat in the house for the first goal. He's quality going forward, I'll give him that. Defensively; shocking.

I can't help but wonder how long it would take a competent manager to get rid of Harvey and Teibert, and bring in someone, anyone, that knows how to mark. Probably about three seconds.

Davies I'm pretty sure landed back from the Gold Cup and went straight to BC Place. I don't fault Robbo for bringing him off the bench on this day...

That was a shockingly bad Portland side, but they brought their manager with, so...

This.

I was one of those that Harvey won over w/ his great attitude and heart. You have to love the guy, he's a great example of a solid pro in MLS. Works his ass off, never complains publicly, does all the right things in the community...

Problem is, he started losing a step last year, and he was never great on the defensive side to start with. He offered a lot as a make-shift wing-back. Now, he is attacked relentlessly because he's the easier of the two sides to beat. This is even more evident when wife-beater Williams is in the 11. They FLOCK to Harvey's side when Williams is in. With Jake, they are having a go, but still the weakness appears down our left flank.

Then, the Caps all of a sudden had 3 other competent LBs in their system last year. Sam got loaned out, then there were two. Levis injured, then one. But DeJong, for me, a better overall LB, period. More solid defensively, has more bite, and pretty good going forward. More experience. So why can't he get a sniff? I mean, it's obvious right now Harvey is way past it. Time to move him into coaching.

Tiebert...they should move him if another club sees value.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Overvaluing the HG status I presume. Meanwhile, they bury his career. Not just "genius", but nice thanks to RT for choosing the Caps as his career path.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Homegrown (and Generation Adidas) status is only relevant when it means a player doesn't count towards your salary cap. RT is way passed that stage.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is he? I thought you never lost the HG tag? I am not nearly up on my MLSese, help and idiot understand.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's a maximum salary you can be earning to not count against the cap, but it looks like he may actually still be under it. Perhaps they raised the amount at the last collective agreement?

Either way, you are correct the reason the Whitecaps overvalue him appears to be because he does not count against the salary cap.

GA status on the other hand only lasts as long as it would have taken you to finish your 4 years of college, so I believe Christian Dean is going to start taking up cap space next season, and will likely be shopped.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's the way I understand it. HG and GA both quite different, I understand HG tag stays for life in MLS, or maybe as long as you stay in MLS. Not sure.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I believe the way it works in the MLS is a rule is only a rule as long as people can't understand it and once fans have a grasp of it they change it.

I think the best thing for Russell is to move as far away from mtkb watching eyes.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Portland pressured hard in that game and we didn't keep the ball. We also forced it forward and made it easy for their back line.

Also, let's not forget: their keeper made about 3 crazy saves. We did create some chances.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all, let's not call Williams a wife-beater. The charges were stayed immediately; it may very well be that there was absolutely no assault. Unless TTP is going to become a place where being anyone who has ever been arrested is considered a criminal, I'd suggest we leave that story dead and buried.

As for RT, and in fairness to the Caps, it would be exceedingly easy to overvalue his abilities...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
First of all, let's not call Williams a wife-beater. The charges were stayed immediately; it may very well be that there was absolutely no assault. Unless TTP is going to become a place where being anyone who has ever been arrested is considered a criminal, I'd suggest we leave that story dead and buried.

As for RT, and in fairness to the Caps, it would be exceedingly easy to overvalue his abilities...

Could it be I was also doing it to wind you up? Could it also be that where there is smoke, there's fire?

Lawyers...so much fun. Making TTP a better place since 2001.

OK, alleged wife beater Williams? Better? I like the ring of that, Alleged Wife Beater Williams. Good for me.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As for RT, yes, absolutely agree. On a player level, he's being buried here. I'm always in favor of a young player- especially Canadians- making a career out of this game. Moving on is best for him, and best for the Caps, as he's not providing any value for them here. They may in fact have ruined him, because he's not a useless pro. I don't fall so far on the "he's shite" scale as you do, but will admit, there is no place for him here anymore ("Future Captain", well done, Robo. Idiot.), and I think a big part of that is because the Caps tried to turn him into something he wasn't, then went and left him to waste. I still think his best position was as a LB, I think Rennie tried that, and possibly they should have run with that. USL would have been a great place to try that out.

Anyhow, I'd like to see if he can resurrect himself. Hell, even loan him out to a lower league in Europe for a bit. Give him a different environment than Caps or MLS altogether.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
The oddest thing to me is that the best game I ever remember watching RT play was when he was on the wing vs LA Galaxy. I believe he had 2 goals that game. It was the start of a great run of form for him where he had a bunch of assists as well. This was 2013 and he finished the season with 2 goals, and 9 assists. Since then he's somehow become offensively challenged :confused:

Last edited:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd say any positive attributes he did have were coached out of him by offensive geniuses Renie and Robo.

I mean, look at the guy...he's a winger or wing-back. Prototypical. Now? Not sure what he is, not sure he does either. Canada doesn't either, they are now playing him in CMF.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
i prefer "immediately exonerated", but to each their own... i bill double for being wound up, it's called the asshole tax;)

I wasn't aware Europe had leagues that were inferior to MLS...

Please don't blame the coaching for the fact that RT absolutely does not have a footballing brain...

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Expectations are high with not so many quality players. No whitecap player made the MLS all star game this year. However, every coach has its end. Robinson has been coach for number of years with not so much achievement.
Time is for change, which means new players will have to come in.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i prefer "immediately exonerated", but to each their own... i bill double for being wound up, it's called the asshole tax;)

I wasn't aware Europe had leagues that were inferior to MLS...

Please don't blame the coaching for the fact that RT absolutely does not have a footballing brain...

With all due respect, you are so far off the deep end on any RT discussion, it's impossible to have an objective conversation with you.

Just like your position on AWBW is offside, so is your position on RT.

That being said, I do like the idea of an asshole tax. In my business, I call that the Cnut Margin.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
i'm not remotely off the deep end - he's a shite player who sticks around merely to give the residency credibility cover... calling a spade a spade is the very opposite of a lack of objectivity...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh come on. You have a hate hard-on for RT like no other. Completely off the deep end on your assessment. Let's not start lying to each other now.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Too many big words in this Thread.

@Dude you can buy Cnut Margin at any grocery store. Its in the dairy section next to the Parkay. Just look for the Nutella jar with @knvb 's picture on the label.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0