Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigsaw

Oct 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
@Jigsaw I hope you're trying to ttp- otherwise your level of comprehension is worse than a high school kid...maybe have another read so you don't conclude things like a comparison of caps to Man U...:rolleyes:

I would say his philosophy is to try play the game and to win every game. Instead of changing his tactics and formation every game to neutralize the opponent's strengths and play negative football (like many coaches do in MLS), he actually makes positive decisions/substitutions to try set up the team and give them the best chance to win the game. Yes, some of the players are nowhere near good enough, they've played like crap in the last couple seasons, and some of his decisions has led to points lost as a result of wanting to win games. It's the players who haven't executed. If he had a squad like Portland, Dallas, Chicago, LA, Toronto, Atlanta (which he doesn't because of the owners)- they would win a lot more games, and the fans would be entertained. Just look at the roster of those clubs and compare.
It's easy to point the finger at Robbo and get rid of him because it's just a manager to replace, but it won't change anything as the problem is the lack of quality of the players and support from the owners to get better ones. Besides, who do you have in mind that can replace him and be confident that he would do better?

In a given game if your team COLLECTIVELY is being outworked, of course it is his responsibility to tell the players know and make adjustments to raise the intensity/work rate. However, if certain player(s) need to be constantly reminded to work hard and defend, then measures should be taken to make sure they change their attitude or get rid of them. Perfect example of this was Morales. Robbo did a great job to scout him and bring him in, and he won newcomer of the year in his first season. Then his work rate dropped, he got benched and then released.

I've already surrendered.
We obviously have different views on the game & the way it's coached.
I only know that the teams that I have worked with & the coaches that I was privileged to work with & learn from would never allow players to "go through the motions".
They did improve in the game v New York in the second half, but overall in the past couple of years I have seen players playing well within their comfort zone.
I don't see the tactics being clear, launching missiles over the opposing defence for players to chase doesn't create a lot of chances.

Over & out.

robino

Sep 24, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thats what is great about coaching. Everyone thinks they know best. Chicago was worst last year. This year they are best team in mls. Same coach. Whats the difference? They signed about 5 extra good players.
IMO, at the highest level everyone plays hard and everyone wants to win, no matter what sport. Quality of players you have is what wins game most of the time. Ibrahimovic plays at his speed and effort. I doubt you as a coach would go into locker room and chew him up for not putting all out effort. Hurtado runs, runs, runs but is shite. Choose who would you rather have. At the highest level, most of the time quality wins.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is there any other Robo era match where he was so badly out managed and coached?

Reyna off the bench?

Montero out?

Shea up top, when he should have subbed off Laba?

Long ball against a team with inexperience and being held together by toothpaste?

Seriously, this isn't the local leagues, where you don't know quite what you are up against until KO, there is an opportunity to game plan based on what you know you are playing.

Seriously, he's an idiot, isn't he?

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Forgot this game was on yesterday.

Broke a promise with 3 year old daughter to take the park.

She asked why and I said cause its raining out side. Then I closed the blinds.

38 years of living life with no regrets.

Until yesterday.

I took my six year old to the game and right now I'm not sure who was the worst parent between us.

dutch13

Feb 5, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shockingly outcoached. Uninspired. Porter stated before the game that the whitecaps were not strong with the ball, and would let us have possession, we couldn't have made him look more right... then couldn't even manage to keep possession in the 2nd half, or generate a counter attack. Takes Mezquida out of the game early, and puts Reyna, Davies both in the middle? Why not let Davies torch guys on the wing like he's been doing everywhere. I've never seen such a bad 2nd half.

And Adekugbe goes. Harvey is older/slower and really average at best despite what our announcers love to say... Yet this up and comer cannot see any time for the whitecaps. I thought he was good years ago when he first challenged for the position, heard good things in the UK, and he looked solid for Canada. Both him and De Jong were more exciting to watch than Harvey... yet...

Pisses me off how this team/sport can get you excited 2 great games in NY and LA, 4 Caps on a good Canada game, and they follow it up with what should have been a statement cake, with that absolute garbage.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Harvey had the best seat in the house for the first goal. He's quality going forward, I'll give him that. Defensively; shocking.

I can't help but wonder how long it would take a competent manager to get rid of Harvey and Teibert, and bring in someone, anyone, that knows how to mark. Probably about three seconds.

Davies I'm pretty sure landed back from the Gold Cup and went straight to BC Place. I don't fault Robbo for bringing him off the bench on this day...

That was a shockingly bad Portland side, but they brought their manager with, so...

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm with you guys, Robo and Bobaduzzi out. However being poor in possession doesn't all fall on the coach. I look at some of the top teams and they just have more talented, experienced players. Comfortable on the ball and calm under pressure. We have a team full of no namers even at this level.

we expect results from a 16 year old because for some crazy reason he might be our most dangerous player. fcuking think about that. Am I the only one that notices the talent that stands out is always on the other team. I'm always thinking wow whos that, oh it's this guy from Argentina and so on. Decisions by the coach are a part of it but if our talent is passing to this front 3, mid pack is the best we can ask anyway.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
His game plan make complete sense. Undermanned, on the road, and on a team that treats the ball like a slot machine.

Bunker, absorbe, counter. Simple.

Robo is a joke.
I'm with you guys, Robo and Bobaduzzi out. However being poor in possession doesn't all fall on the coach. I look at some of the top teams and they just have more talented, experienced players. Comfortable on the ball and calm under pressure. We have a team full of no namers even at this level.

we expect results from a 16 year old because for some crazy reason he might be our most dangerous player. fcuking think about that. Am I the only one that notices the talent that stands out is always on the other team. I'm always thinking wow whos that, oh it's this guy from Argentina and so on. Decisions by the coach are a part of it but if our talent is passing to this front 3, mid pack is the best we can ask anyway.

Not buying that line of thinking whatsoever. Bolanos is not a no-namer. Reyna is not a no-namer. These guys have pedigree. Besides, as a CMF, you don't get to this level w/ out being comfortable on the ball, you just don't. Possession is a matter of both the right type of player plus the right system. We do have the right types of players, just don't have a manager that has a fcuking clue. Possession, and systematic play has been coached out of this team by his inability to implement it. It's like a backwards deficit of coaching. Players come here with pedigree, and leave here broken. See Morales, Rivero. Those guys are having great seasons in Chile right now, and it's no coincidence that they appear to be playing in a club where the system supports having the ball at the skilled players' feet.

It is a goddamn miracle this squad is fighting for a playoff spot, and I don't believe it's overachieving. It's underachieving, and the points lost on the table can almost all be attributed to the manager. This past weekend? What a joke. So badly out managed it wasn't funny. By a Yank, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0