Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 Whitecaps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Has to be an automatic from the PA guy the minute this guy makes his first appearance. It'd be a crime not to play it, actually.

Sniffer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Sep 24, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
This has me very intrigued: https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/20...n-international-central-midfielder-aly-ghazal

Seems like a poor man's Atiba? Box-to-box guy, ball winner, but possesses it properly and transitions it forward (at least, as we can see from the 2 minute highlight reel package, all we need to know, right?). Solid pedigree in a tough league. If he can dominate a midfield anywhere near as well as Atiba, could be a great link-up man for Reyna and Montero. I see this as a potential move to unload Laba. AJ and Tchani should also be on notice, but of all three, I think Tchani and AJ have made good cases this season for staying on, while Laba's star seems to have burned out.

@Regs pointed it out at the time, moving Koffie would hurt us, but seemed to have hurt Laba the worse. Spent a season lost, and the the Caps realized (like the rest of us) that the hole Koffie left actually broke up the whole effing centre of the midfield. The Tchani move was specifically to address the hole Koffie left, Robo admitted as much.

This guy Ghazal definitely appears to be more box-to-box, and this is exactly what we've been missing. Should address the possession deficiencies.

I hope...

Should be Teibert that they unload, he has not kicked on to the next level and is not a good enough centre midfielder at this level...time for him to go.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Should be Teibert that they unload, he has not kicked on to the next level and is not a good enough centre midfielder at this level...time for him to go.

Impossible to disagree, as I seriously never even considered him in the equation of "the CM core". Literally forgot about him, so in my mind, he's already been moved out.

They won't, of course....even though for the betterment of his career he needs to move on. His next stop could honestly just as easily be Peg at this point.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I remember thinking that even if Tchani was a bust, it was a good deal for addition through subtraction. He was definitely not getting it here.

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
wasn't Minnesota sniffing about Teibert, but the Caps wanted, somehow, too much?

moving Dean out before Harvey is bizarre to me, but they're really just making it up as they go along anyway, so whatever...

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is anyone really surprised by anything they do anymore? Here is my sports action props bet for 2018: Caps sell Davies to a European club and use the money to fund sand colour uniforms to represent the beaches that surround us.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wasn't Minnesota sniffing about Teibert, but the Caps wanted, somehow, too much?

moving Dean out before Harvey is bizarre to me, but they're really just making it up as they go along anyway, so whatever...
I assume you are stating that based on depth at CB vs. LB, but they obviously had a replacement in the works for CBV, as well as possibly another in Straith, if they sign him for the remainder of the season. So...given all that moving Dean out makes perfect sense, given his contract I think on Gen Adidas is up this year.

But yes- waiting on RT? Move him along already.....

mtkb

Feb 1, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
not the best ball from the new goalie; dumps it right in between his two mates in the middle of the park and it ends up in the back of his net...​

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He was hung out to dry.

Sure, you try to angle that to one flank or the other every time, but watch the replay.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2017/08/12/caps-conclude-road-trip-1-0-defeat-new-england

Tchani is the goat. First, he's all alone in the middle and backing off, allowing Nico? of all players to challenge on his own. Tchani, who is like 6'4", giving way to 5'6" Nico? AJ was also there, but at least you could see him being responsible and covering his man. There was loads of time for three big Cap's to re-position themselves to challenge that header.

Ball winner Kelyn Rowe wins the header, straight to Kamara, who then shields off Waston, and returns the ball to Rowe, who Tchani has watched run past, and reacted to the whole situation way too casually, and way too late. Nico could also take some blame for letting Rowe go after originally trying to challenge for the header.

You know who could have also helped? Shea. He was not far off the right shoulder of Rowe when the ball was in flight, and could have easily made up that ground, and called Nico off.

So...sure, easy to blame the keeper, but you had at least two big men, maybe three if you count AJ, whom could have taken responsibility for that challenge and didn't. Look at where Nico is when he (likely) recognizes there is a free header to be had for NE and makes a late attempt to get there. He comes from a ways off to nearly close off the ground. One of the three big men could have made that attempt, and it's really just laziness (again, maybe exception to AJ, who seemed to be covering his man) that preventedf a WFC challenge here.

So to me, Tchani goat 1, Shea goat 2, AJ goat 3, Nico goat 4 (only for failing to stay w/ Rowe once he took off), Waston goat 5, Marinovic goat 6.

akslop

Better Bastard
Jun 28, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The knock to the head Marinovic took minutes earlier probably didnt help things . Surprised he stayed in the game actually. Even more surprising that ROBO rested Ousted with the way he has been playing lately

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The start may have as much to do w/ Ousted's future here than anything. Or, Robo decisions...because, yeah, otherwise I'd 100% agree, completely baffling start. I thought 3 points would be valuable w/ the team on a good run, not a good time for an experiment, but what do I know?

That said, he seemed to do quite well, with a minor gaff on the kick. I'm sure you could look back at all the GKs in the game, and pick out several right up the gut, the big difference being 50/50 challenges for contested knock-downs.

I guess what I'm saying is, that was a 50/50 ball. Plenty of air time, and the Caps have a flatfooted MF to blame for the goal.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, we still have to see Aly play. Solid pedigree and looks like a poor man's Atiba Hutchinson, and if he plays anywhere near as dominant in ball winning and controlling the play as Atiba can, I'm super excited. But still...losing a starting CMF of any kind is always tough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0