Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Imperial Cup 2017 VMSL Imperial Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coquitlam Metro Ford Wolves 1 - Campo Atletico 1 (3-1 at extra time).
or Campo goes ahead but awful refereeing keeps status quo.

Before going to the details. I am very proud of the Campo players for bringing an exciting and entertaining game against the clear favourites and arguable the best team in the province.

We have been awaiting for this match for more than a year. Last year, they won the final of the Imperial Cup. We won the B-Cup on the same location. We thought to ourselves we can play against these guys and even beat them.

TTP pundits were up in arms. How can such sacrilege be said? This is heresy. The finalist of the Imperial Cup is such above the finalist of the B-Cup. Oh well, you have to see it to believe it.

In fact, the VMSL should consider to have a "Super-Copa" between the finalist of both cups like it is done in other places (finalist of Champions League plays against finalist of Europa League.

These intra cups have important messages. A reminder that even if you are the best in a region you can be brought down by anyone. This is the spirit of the game.

I very much wanted to have a high pressing, intense attacking, and free flowing game against the Imperial Cup reigning champions. We planned for this but a series of events took down last week of FOUR defenders (i.e. injuries, suspensions, sickness) and other important players.

Given that we had only one sub (as one player got injured in first 5 minutes) and that essentially we had to re-arrange positions, we decided to pursue a more cautionary approach.

@GoF is correct that we ended up with a different formation for this game. It was a hybrid of 5-3-2/5-4-1. It proved to be the correct approach as the Wolves struggled for long time to find an effective solution for most of the regular 90 minutes.

We took our game plan from several games, but particularly Italy vs Brazil in 1990 and discarded the option of man marking Basso.

However, the referees decided to be part of the outcome of the game with their irresponsibility and ineptitude.

First, they show up late. It is FIVE minutes to kick off and they have not checked cards. Finally, one of them shows up and quickly checks the cards.

They do not bother to inform us that they are short. Thus they will start with only two of them.

Second, there is no coin toss. The central referee arbitrarily decides: "you guys get the ball and play on this side". You will see what at the end this matter.

The game starts and a long ball comes from Coquitlam. The forward is clearly offside by at least 5 meters. Our defenders stop because it is an obvious offside. We see the flag up and but the central referee says play on. They almost score. Of course the players are upset and we in the bench too.
"What the fcuk is going on?"
It is almost comic because we can not find a linesman. We ask the referee what is going and both say. "oh we forgot to tell you there is no official linesman on your side". It is not clear what the obese guy with the flag is calling or who he is. Our players protest and demand an explanation and the response is one or two yellow cards for dissent! What a joke!

This has big impact on the game for us. Do you have an idea how hard is to defend agains Metro Ford with no linesman?
Knowing that essentially the main referee is calling each offside wrong because he is far away and we have the top forwards on the league against us?

This forces me to indicate the defences to keep a very low line. Which of course gives Coquitlam lots of room to keep possession on their side. Counter-pressing and pressing high is off the table for us with no linesman and with a referee who has already shown to be partisan.

However, this works well for Campo as Coquitlam keeps possession but can not find meaningful threats and leaves its backline exposed.
We do take advantage of this and manage to get a forward with the ball in the penalty box. Two of their defenders take him down. A clear penalty from his perspective and from ours on the bench. But no. No penalty. On top, he gets a yellow card for protesting.
What is wrong with you mister referee? Do you really do not want Coquitlam to lose?

After this, I thought this is going to be very tough because we are not only playing against the best team in the province. We also have a referee who is clearly going on their side when he can.

Our guys stick to the plan and defend tenaciously but also get some good attacking opportunities. The first half ends 0-0.

We make a tactical modification to try to confuse them and also to block one of their attacking venues. This works well as our forward retreats and our midfielder moves into the empty space and this allows us to create some dangerous chances one of them eventually culminating in the goal.

We sense that they are shocked and push up to try to get a second goal. We are close and should have scored a second goal, but also this have the problem of giving them quite a bit of clear attacking opportunities. Including two posts and some clear shots on the goalie.

Thus, we are forced to retreat and be cautious again.

The referee continues to be favouring Coquitlam and gives them two free kicks on the edge of the penalty box. One of them hits the crossbar. Now, these are clearly not fouls. Normal interactions on a soccer match that HE DECIDES to give for the Wolves.

You know that when you give a free kick to the Wolves you have essentially given them a clear shot on target. They are that good.

This is the straw that broke the camel's back. I try to give a tactical direction to the midfield and try to remind them that the opponents is "premier" but it does not mean that "good" to the point that it can not be done. The referee stops the game and comes to the bench. "You can not disrespect these Premier team". One more word and you are out.

Oh my God, I really can not believe what the referee is uttering from his mouth, At the end it just a reflection this parochial mentality that is very much ingrained in our soccer communities which artificially divides players, teams, and leagues onto categories that do not exist in the field.

One of our players in the bench tries to convey something to the keeper as I pretty much forced not to say anything, but he is kept in the bench too.

We keep a very much compact shape and this forces Coquitlam to go wide. They know how to switch the ball well and give us great difficulties but the defenders and goalie stop them.

Basso is not having his game and neither one of their wingers who is eventually substituted. I am very proud for our defenders because they shot them down. Please keep in mind that two of them played "Silver" in Canada a few years ago because they were not considered to be that good. But I do see potential on them and lot of good qualities on them. I am glad that they are showing on the field that they can play against the "best" {as considered by those who manage our youth programs} .

Our players are tired and a goal comes from two consecutive mistakes. Our midfielder does not put pressure on a direct long ball to the penalty box and our goalie does not read it well and stays on his position. I can not be hard on them. They are tired and also a long ball at night is hard for a keeper to assess with the lights and so on.

Perhaps a deserved goal. One minute to go and the game is over.

We are again on extra time and try to play the same way as Romania. A combination of alternating defense with attacking minded positions.

But the referee once again decides to favour Coquitlam. A long ball goes wide. Our defender is clearly covering it to let the ball out. He wins it and everything points out to a goal kick, but no. The small shoulder to shoulder ends up on a foul and card for dissent! Are you really kidding me?

A very dangerous position that ends up in a goal from two headers.

We try to press high. I think that we could tie the game. I am confident that our players can do it, but it comes with two shocking moments.

First, once again a disputed ball in our attack goes into a bizarre call. It stops our attack. Our player says something in Spanish in frustration. One of their plays replies too, but the referee stops the play and give a yellow card to our player only. What a shocking moment! The referee does not speak Spanish but somehow can read the conversation and mind of the players!

As this is not enough another divided ball, the Coquitlam player insults in Spanish our player who responds. Second yellow and red card. Thus, in an span of 5 minutes the referee books twice the same player for allegedly dissent and small tap on a leg. A few minutes before one our players is on the floor with a possible concussion due to a charge from behind. No card what so ever! Not even a chat to the player.

Campo players still keep fighting heroically and put pressure with only 10 man. No choice but to fight to the end. This leaves our back exposed and they score on the last minute after 120 exhausting minutes.

Coquitlam is no doubt a top class team with a lot of skill and finesse.
Extremely proud for the Campo players performance for going ahead and never giving up even with a referee crew that was showing lack of responsability and professionalism.

I think that it was an entertaining evening for those who attend the match. At this is futbol guys.
So long. I keep my end of the bet. Regs can delete my account.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ps. third referee appears out of the blue around minute 30th. again no information to players our coaches. just jump into the field and suddenly we have flag going up.
Really... really bad of the VMSL to have such incompetency in refereeing at this level.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
#1 Pegasus is the best team in the Province until proven otherwise.

#2 A bet requires 2 participants to agree to the parameters of the bet. If that were not the case, you owe a shitload of $$$ to a previous poster here on TTP.

#3 I delete accounts when I feel like it, not when someone else tells me to. So you can fcuk off on that notion right away.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had to go watch the highlights again and see who the ref was and you couldn't have gotten a worse ref for this match. From experience, totally bias in this kind of competition and even worse in Nations Cup. And yes, he loves being the centre of attention. Having said that, I'm not sure he's the reason you lost this game but I can see the frustration. It looked like they out chanced your team 3-1 ratio and had the lions share of possession while you looked dangerous on the counters. Nothing to be ashamed of imo.

hornswoggle

Nov 2, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Biased views on the game and speaks at a POV of what he knows about his team. If the Metro Ford coach was on TTP he could also say that his player did not put enough pressure on a player or that it's too dark for his goalie to see a cross come in, for certain goals. Or blame things on the referee system. The difference is that he is not writing on TTP about his view on things but is yet still dominating the top amateur division in this province. Just because you are sharing your opinion on what you see as right/wrong on a social platform does not make it any more valid.

There are always Division 1 teams in the seasons I've been involved in this league and with the Imperial Cup, that pull off close games with top premier clubs in the Imperial Cup. Don't over analysis your coaching style, referee decisions, or other details of the game where certain players lost focus. Metro Ford is the better team and won because of that. The Metro Ford coach could also say make excuses for what happened on that one goal. It's all opinion.

To sum it up. Fvck off.

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh go fcuk off ya little twirp.

shite, have I angered some of your tite asses? Let me re-phrase my statement because most of you are twats. In these kinds of competitions I've found he's a bias ref. What @Soccer Coach said about him telling him he can't talk shite about Metroford because they're a Prem team is fcuking horse shite and then he threatens to ban him from the sidelines. What the fcuk is that? So I stand by what I said, there couldn't have been a worse ref for this game.

Having said that, when he's reffing a Prem vs Prem game or two teams who "should be" playing against one another he's a fcuking fine ref. Probably one of the best around imo.

So @Rangerforever , go fcuk yourself. You fcuks who think you've been part of the elite looking down at the rest of the league is the actual problem with the league. Look at how @Soccer Coach winds you guys up. It's fcuking hilarious. Do I agree with him about everything he says, not a fcuking chance. But I'm smart enough to know what's bull shite or not.

Sep 29, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
WOW !!!
sounds like that campo team is a classy bunch - with that last post from "machel" . I guess class is a team like metro ford.
any other alternate news you would like to share "machel " Care to tell us how you really trully deeply feel, please let it out it is not good to keep things bottled up inside you ? I am offering you my free tiem .
I have noticed that "campo " players come on here to make comments about the officiating/referee's , just curious as i have not seen so many posts about them from one team in one season.
I think by now we know who referees in the league and who they are,to say you do not know what kinda a referee , shame on you as you forgot to study the tape on referee's , i guess next year you should watch tapes of the referee's .....just a f.y.i......it sounds like metro ford is now a shoe in to win the cup,with campo out of the way .....we should have consolation cup - so who does not make it to cup finals can see how good they really are ,this way we can put the mouth pieces to rest.time to go catch a match or too ..........
aieeee plunker a sheeen .............

machel

Jul 24, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Did you even read the comments bro?

One dude has a tite ass because he thinks I'm trashing one of my fav weekends and tournaments of the year. Not the case. I just said I think the ref has some bias in reffing certain teams.

I'm not a campo player. I play masters and quite poorly I might add. That doesn't mean I don't get to have an opinion.

And if you read the earlier comments I said campo had little to no chance at winning this game(a page or two back).

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Whistle Blower cards anything resembling dissent. So if you are a team that has a moan, you need to learn to shut it. The hard part is when you feel like the calls aren't going your way and have a moan at him, he will toss you a yellow. Feels like he's against you but he's not, just makes it known he's in charge. Once you get a handle on that he's a great ref.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0