Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2017 BC Mens Provincial A Cup - Draw, Predictions, Results & Banter

Status
Not open for further replies.

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think before Surrey United, Coquitlam Celtic from the FVSL lost to Norvan in one of those finals, the '88 one maybe?
I'm dating myself there...

Late post coming back from vacation - Well done to all teams but of course I'd like to give recognition to my friends at Langley and Aldergrove for a great showing.

Go Aldy Go
I believe Guru might of been on that team but I can't honestly remember because when old men start rambling on about the old days I have a tendency to tune them out.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Completely Baseless Predictions
Men’s “A” Provincial Cup
Semi-Finals: 2/2
Overall: 9/14

Championship Final:

Aldergrove Utd. (FVSL) v Club Inter (VMSL)
For the first time this Millennium a Fraser Valley Soccer League team will play for the highest honour the Province has to offer. Aldergrove United, on the back of a title winning season in the FVSL, will look to be the first Fraser Valley team to lift Men's BC Provincial Cup in the trophy's 95 year history. The Valley boys were awarded a favourable draw by the soccer gods this year. As the first name out of the hat they had home field advantage throughout the tournament and hosted a pair of teams that had to travel from Vancouver Island. The Vancouver Island Soccer League, like the VMSL, has a strong pedigree in this tournament, but this season they were a step off the pace across the board. Aldergrove easily dispatched their Island visitors, Bays United and Vic West, with a pair of identical 4-1 score lines. Their first taste of the juggernaut Vancovuer Metro Soccer League looked set to be league champions Coquitlam Metro Ford. CMF had lost agonizingly in last season's final but had bounced back to win their second consecutive VMSL title and this season it wasn't even close, as they were clearly the class of the league. One team that had been a thorn in their side however, was Westside FC and the Westsiders refused to go away, eventually upsetting their VMSL counterparts in a shootout. So it was an undermanned and depleted Westside team that journeyed out to Aldergrove Athletic Park to face the would be history-makers rather than the giants Metro Ford. Westside had been playing must win games for nearly two months, needing an impressive undefeated run and a playoff game just to qualify for the Provincial Cup. They reached the end of their rope in the Valley and ran out of steam when confronted by a gutsy, heart and soul performance from Aldergrove. Westside gamely hung in while Aldergove battered them time and again, even putting together a sumptuous passing move that led to a top class equalizing goal. When a late red card was produced, dropping the VMSLers to 10 men, there was just nothing left in the tank. Aldergrove were rewarded for their quality performance with a berth in the final!

Standing in their way is yet another VMSL team. Club Inter are in the final for the second time in three seasons. Their last trip to the big show resulted in a loss to Estrella de Chile after some controversial refereeing decisions. Prior to that, Inter had been through somewhat of a rebuild. A shock relegation at the end of 2012 was met with instant return to the top flight as Division 1 Champions. The Italians, though, struggled to consolidate their Premier status the following season as they were propping up the table at Christmas time. An injection of UBC talent pulled the program out of the danger zone and, after further off season recruitment, they found themselves in a Provincial Cup Final only three seasons after relegation in 2015. Never VMSL Championship contenders, Inter seem to save it for big games. Another mid table finish this season saw them take Provincial Cup qualification right down to the final weekend of the season when they knocked off VMSL Champions Coquitlam Metro Ford by a 1-0 margin. They had done just enough, and that would become somewhat of a theme for the Vancouver club. They squeaked past defending Provincial Cup Champions Pegasus 1-0 in the opening round and then post another 1-0 over the FVSL's Port Moody after that game was rearranged due to a lighting issue. Their semi final pitted them against another FVSL team in Langley United who had plenty to play for given that they, as a club along with the FVSL, are hosting the Canadian Soccer Association Adult Amateur National Championships in October. Inter again did just enough, emerging as 2-1 victors.

This battle of FVSL against VMSL has been bubbling under the suface, and on occcasion over the top, for some time now. The Valley is tired of being deemed a second class league and are eager to prove that they belong at the table with their Vancouver cousins. History has not been kind to the FVSL however as a check of the archives shows that they have but a trio of U21 Provincial titles to their name won by Port Moody Gunners in 2007, 2009 and 2012 (*Poco Castillions won the Masters title in 2014, but I believe they were competing in the VMSL that season). The VMSL has produced too many Provincial Champions to list as well as a slew of National Champions, though none in the Open division since Pegasus in 2004. Clearly history favours the Vancouver Metro League, but could this be the traction that the Fraser Valley League needs to begin a passing of the torch? Like the small rocks that precede a coming avalanche, the FVSL will hope an Aldergrove win can be that catalyst that propels them to new heights on both the Provincial and National stage. A Provincial Cup title would qualify Aldergrove for that National Championship that the FVSL is hosting later this year, though, given the usual nature of the tournament, it is very likely the British Columbia will receive two berths, thus meaning that both Inter and Aldergrove will qualify regardless of the outcome of this final. However, a championship would, under the current format, also give the FVSL an additional berth for next season's Provincial Cup. As it stands, the defending champion's league is awarded a extra spot in the competition, though the VMSL are arguing to have that floating spot permanently assigned to their league. The argument is that the VMSL is consistently producing champions in the A Cup, as well as across all four mens competitions. Indeed last year all eight men's finalists were from the VMSL along with the majority of semi finalists including all four A Cup semi finalists. Again this season the VMSL is performing well, while only one of the A Cup finalists is from their league, the draw was cruel to the VMSL, matching 6 of their 7 entrants against each other in the opening round. In fact, across all the Provincial Championships this season, outside of the B Cup where there have been no all VMSL match ups, only 4 of the VMSL's 20 entrants have lost to non-domestic opponents. Therefore an Aldergrove win would go a long way to helping the leagues outside of the VMSL hold onto their Provincial berths.

As for the match on Sunday, it has got star power in spades. Connor Hildebrandt, the TSS Rovers man, is the pulse of Aldergrove along with striker Brett Weins. They'll match up against the Milads, Rhamati and Mehrabi from Inter who also boast former Edmonton FC man and Capilano College alum Michael Nonni. The stats favour Aldergrove, as a league champion they should be favourite, but history is on Inter and the VMSL's side. Arguments for both teams to be David and/or Goliath. It sets up as one for the ages and I think we are all hoping that the game lives up to its billing. There's plenty of hype and history is on the line, but it's a Provincial Cup Final it's supposed to be "a bit dramatic, innit?". I really like Aldy in this one, but frequent readers of my column will know that I tend to live by the idea that if you want to be the man, you gotta beat the man and the FVSL has never beat the man. Good luck to both teams, congratulations on a pair of great seasons, and Aldy: go prove me wrong and make history! I'll take Inter to win.

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lots of talking points but neither team playing great football.

Milad classy as usual with his celebrations...:rolleyes:

We'll see how the second half goes.

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully no one got caught up in the moment.

With history awaiting and all.

Last edited:

cascadesoccer

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wasn't there, not a fan of people starting brawls if they're losing. Not saying this was the reason but if you celebrate like a dick, you deserve a hard whack. ACBC used to act like that, few guys almost lost their ankles in a few matches I saw.

hard ballz

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wasn't there, not a fan of people starting brawls if they're losing. Not saying this was the reason but if you celebrate like a dick, you deserve a hard whack. ACBC used to act like that, few guys almost lost their ankles in a few matches I saw.
Milad scored the 2nd goal which was a huge one and ran down the sideline with his shirt off. Shortly after the play resumed I believe the Grove player instigated it and everyone partnered up. The Grove goalie came running out just passed centre and took a shot at an Inter player. As far as I saw, the Grove goalie got a red and two Inter players got reds. The ref called the game right after. Congrats to inter.

HighLife

Mar 30, 2017
Tokens
Dirty Money
Milad scored the 2nd goal which was a huge one and ran down the sideline with his shirt off. Shortly after the play resumed I believe the Grove player instigated it and everyone partnered up. The Grove goalie came running out just passed centre and took a shot at an Inter player. As far as I saw, the Grove goalie got a red and two Inter players got reds. The ref called the game right after. Congrats to inter.

Sounds like a hockey game lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0