Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2007 Civic Strike(s)...

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow, that was an epic post from way beyond the left, that is so far left the tyee wouldn;t have any of it as it starts to look too right.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
And down the line, when you are a little older, and a little less profitable. Some hot shot will take your job, and your years of service and all the money you made for your company won't be worth the ink still drying on your pink slip. Then we'll see how you feel about having no protection under seniority.

Wrong.

Good salespeople and business people write their own ticket. Through good customer service and hard work, they build up a strong, loyal client base that trust and like doing business w/ them. My best mentors in business are all highly successful, highly motivated, older guys who all started young, worked their asses off, and have built themselves very, very comfortable livings. They are always pushing for the next order, next contract, next job, and their employees are well taken care of because of it. They do not let Unions hijack their companies. Many end up selling their business when they are ready to retire- a cash windfall they built up over the years from sweat and tears.

That is another big difference between your attitude and a motivated self starter: the self starter knows they need to perform to earn, while your attitude tells me that you don't have the drive or the confidence in yourself, your work, or your company to maintain continued success- therefore you feel you need the "protection" of a union.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right on Dude.
I work with 2 gentlemen that are well past what would be considered retirement age. Their customers love them, they still have 'the fire' and their knowledge of our industry is second to none, and they have been able to adapt with the coming generations and waves of technology. They have managed (think about it for it a second) to learn how to use a computer in the real world, not just apply something we take for granted because we have always had one or used one in school, I could go on with many other examples.

Fact is that people are commodities in any business. Useless ones are cast aside, and successful ones are celebrated and managers try to clone others in the successful people's mold.

If you look at life, in any aspect, their is always a recipe or fomula for success (work, life, marriage, sports, relationships with kids and family, friendships, etc) Sure there is an element of right place right time-such as getting an "in" at a strong union like the longshoremen or a kushy city job. But more often than not, hard work far outweighs brainpower and school smarts.

I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, but I had many friends of mine that went of to Uni that said If I didn't go to school I would amount to anything, and through a ton of hardwork I have managed to bypass many of them in as far as my work life and finances since I didn't amass a tonne of student loan debt, and i had been earning a living while they were in school for 4+ years.

Nobody here is slagging anyone for their choice of career. If you want to drive the Honeywagon sucking out portapotties at construction sites, and enjoy it and can support your family and desired lifestyle that way, fine. But no union should be able to de-commoditize your job and protect you from your own failings, whether you like it or not, free an open enterprise frowns upon this sort of behaviour. Same thing goes for upper management, sales people, big mac makers and gas jockeys.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bronco get back to work, will ya..... :D

Day 2, and it's a freaking zoo outside!!!

werd

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I refuse to participate in this system of greed and elitism. Even the idea of "owning" property at all disgusts me. Land ownership is an abomination.

hold on...

wanting to own a piece of land is an abomination? it is shameful to try to build a safe place to raise a family? it is horrible to spend time, effort, and money to have permanent shelter? and one day, it a disgrace to sell that land in order to have a carefree retirement so you can enjoy time with your kids, grandkids, and hopefully, great grandkids?

fcuking hell... i had no idea i was the devil.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Don't put words in my mouth. I did not say that you or anyone that does own property is the devil or that wanting to provide for your children/family is wrong. We all do what we have to within the system we have instituted and that is fair enough. But, in the end, most people couldn't be bothered to look at the bigger picture and are only concerned with their family's (and immediate social circle's) state of affairs. You're one of them, that's your perogative. It's the system I despise and, for me, land ownership is part of that. As much as I wish it was different, it will take a long time for things to change, but I am certainly not going to willingly participate (as much as possible) and that's my perogative. Believe me, I sleep pretty damn good at night. So go ahead, buy as much as you want, borrow as much as you want, make as much as you want and retire as rich as you can. Fill your boots. I'll tell you this though. There's a lot more to actually living this life than buying a house, raising a family, making money and playing footy a few times a week. But as they say, ignorance is bliss.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
There's a lot more to actually living this life than buying a house, raising a family, making money and playing footy a few times a week. But as they say, ignorance is bliss.

Man... you sure have me figured out! All i do is go to work... come home to have dinner with the family... and, if I'm lucky, go to soccer a few times a week.

I dont spend any time with friends, or go mountain biking, or snowboarding, or golfing, or wake-boarding, or to the bird sactuary or farms or the park with the kids. I have never gone to the pub... nor have i enjoyed an afternoon pint in the backyard.

Please fill me in, so i understand, with your daily routine... Mr. Wakeandbake. Obviously i dont have any clue how to "really live". I want you to de-ignorantize me.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great rebuttal. I state that most people are only concerned with their family's and immediate social circle's state of affairs and don't look at the big picture and you debate that by arguing my post by referencing all the recreational activities you commit to with your family and friends. I take it you're not a lawyer.

Now we've hijacked this thead so I'm going to be brief. You can then reply and hopefully someone else will take things back on topic. So here it is. It's really fcuking easy to deignorantize you. The answer to "really living life" has to do with comments that are in the first paragraph of this post. It's a bit of a riddle so think hard. As you can obviously read, I'm sure you'll figure it out.

By the way, the pot-smoking reference are old and completely off-base, so some different "pisstakes" might be in order.

sixfyv

Apr 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
oh... i get it... my bad. i worry about my family and friends, and the community that i live in.

you spend your time protesting whatever is popular to protest on the given day.

got it. thanks.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dap & Sixfyv,

Allow me to moderate...

Sixfyv: Dap is a happy go lucky, pot smoking hippy. He likes rock climbing, soccer, long walks on the beach, and wet kisses than last two days. He also likes mountain biking, though he's not very good, but he's a gamer. He did show more bottle than TheRob at Sun Peaks two seasons ago…but then, so could Corky from Life Goes On.

Dap likes to travel, see the world, and meet new people. You can often find him lifting a pint with complete strangers / new friends, i.e.: Syrian transvestites, Italian virgins, or Dutch streetwalkers.

Dap doesn't have children, a choice he's made for reasons I'm sure he doesn't need to share. I suspect it has to do w/ some sort of heart broken love story pertaining to his James Bond-esque lifestyle. Somebody hurt him, and the result is a fear of commitment. That said, his fear of commitment works very well with his itinerant lifestyle, and ability to fit in anywhere, and adapt to local colloquialisms. That said, when I first met him, I could have sworn he was a Neufie. Who knew?

You two have a lot in common- I think you’d like him. He could teach you to climb, and you could teach him to wakeboard and sandbag a golf game- all would be good.

Dap: Sixfyv is a happy, go lucky, Bourbon drinking capitalist. Although he does kill kittens for fun, he’s quite normal. He likes wake boarding, soccer, golf, telling unsuspecting people he’s a shitty golfer whilst inviting them out to a championship course in Hawaii, then shooting a par round, and spending time w/ his lovely wife and young children. Although, I must say…bird watching? Ghey.

His wife and kids are his highest priority, but he likes to travel a bit too- usually to Hawaii, or Asia (he’s a Giant over there, and he loves yellow nuggets). Again, this is an admirable quality…if you’re going to raise a family, may as well provide the highest security and level of enjoyment of life as reasonably possible. Also, his mom is really nice.

Warning: If he ever runs into you in Thailand and invites you out to golf, beware: when he says he sucks, what he really means is he’s a zero handicap scratch golfer, and he’d suck on the PGA Tour. Keep your money in your pocket, Dap. At the end of the day, he is a Capitalist, and can’t be trusted.

Dap, meet Sixfyv. Sixfyv, meet Dap.

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
You are, big boy. Although instead of Dude having to type everything out you could just post your profile from stalker.com and save him some time. Just trying to be helpful.

Dude, thanks for the info. Anyone who plays soccer can't be all that bad, although the bird-watching, ahem, is more than a little suspect. But I'm curious about something. What exactly did you mean by "his mom is really nice"? Odd thing to say, innit?

Anyone got something to say to put this thread back on track?

canuckboy

Oct 31, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, If Bronco want his breath to smell like his boss' balls thats his choice. I choose to negotiate higher wages/benefits through a union. I can't help it that I get better wages (and have better breath) than most middle managers.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Negotiating directly w/ your employer, and having the balls to stand your ground by yourself is in some way demeaning to you?

At least Bronco will gain his employer's respect. You are the kid who sends in his big brother to fight his battles!

Dap: don't be sick. She's just nice. That's all.

Backline16

Mar 1, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wrong.

Good salespeople and business people write their own ticket.

I agree, but we can't all be business people and sales people... It takes a special talent to work in sales, and many start into the buisiness world and fall flat on their faces. I think it's great you are going so well, but the fact is most in sales do not.

I don't begrudge anyone who starts their own business, it is a solid fact that no one ever gets rich working for someone else, working for yourself is the only way to make it big. But that said, undercutting trades and shoddy workmanship are more prevalent in the private sector than in union trades. Union trade schools, though almost extinct, are better at sending skilled workers with credentials in to the work force, than cut rate outfits who hire an army of unqualified people to build houses, fix elevators, plumbing and drainage, etc.. If you hire a plumber, you probably want a guy with 4 years of training, rather than some guy who drives around in a red van, with no school behind him. Besides, as a society, we can't all work in small business. Someone has to do actual work. Labour is just as valuable to society as white collar office workers. In fact they are co-dependant. You work in sales, but who makes sure what you sell gets to your customers? I doubt it's you. Do you think that key strokes on an invoice moves whatever product you are selling?

As far as the comments about me hiding behind a union. I work for the largest 3rd party logistics operation in BC. It is a multi national danish coperation with 100's of billions in annual buisiness. Companies that are this size need stability in there work force in order to attract customers. The best way to do that is have a partnership with a union. We have never had a strike, and some on the guys on my floor are the hardest working men and women you will ever meet. We make millions, they make a good living. there is nothing wrong with paying workers what they are worth to their prospective companies. I recently moved into management, but have a strong union background, which makes me very valuable to my employer. I keep the peace while pushing production and insure that the contract the workers have is followed to the letter. Senority is not only system, but it is the fairest for labour.

Stereotypes of unions are completely false. We would not be in business if I had a floor full of lazy workers. It is my job to keep production going, and weak supervisors and managers don't last too long in my business. It is also my job to hire workers that are going to be productive union members. If someone is not pulling thier weight, it's also my job to fire them. I negotiated the contract we are currently working under, and as Walls pointed out, anyone is only three write-ups away from being unemployed. The difference in a union environment is that "I don't like the guy" is not a reason for dismissal, and my favorite worker does not make more than the guy standing next to him, doing the same job, with the same senority.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0