Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nationals [2006 Jubilee Trophy] Senior Women's National Championship

BC Teams @ Nationals

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Senior Women's National Championship

10/4/2006 - 10/9/2006
Surrey, BC

Good luck to both BC teams including Nutmegs and Jimmy Holiday!!!

Surrey United Game Times
2006-10-04 14:30 BC-Surrey United vs NB-Codiac First Touch Senior Wmn Newton Athletic Park #4
2006-10-05 14:30 BC-Surrey United vs SK-Huskie United Women's Soccer Newton Athletic Park #5
2006-10-06 14:30 BC-Surrey United vs QC-Quebec Newton Athletic Park #6

Coquitlam City FC Game Times
2006-10-04 10:30 AB-Calgary Dinos vs BC-Coquitlam City FC (2) Newton Athletic Park #4
2006-10-05 11:30 ON-Ontario vs BC-Coquitlam City FC (2) Newton Athletic Park #8
2006-10-06 11:30 MB-Sweat Shack vs BC-Coquitlam City FC (2) Newton Athletic Park #8

CSA Site: http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/natchamps/club/challenge.asp?sub2=2

-//-

If you ask me, I think it is more than a bit of a joke that these championships have not been promoted one iota. The host club has no mention on their website, BC Soccer has no mention on their website, and the MWSL has no mention of it on their website. Good job everyone :rolleyes:

Cheers,
~Regs.

Whatever

Sep 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
If you ask me, I think it is more than a bit of a joke that these championships have not been promoted one iota. The host club has no mention on their website, BC Soccer has no mention on their website, and the MWSL has no mention of it on their website. Good job everyone

Whatever

Sep 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I could not agree with you more Regs!

I do not understand this country, particularly BC Soccer, and the improper use or lack of use of different types of media available, for example, the local papers (Burnaby Now, Vanacouver Now, Tri-City News, etc.) are great starting places to promote the National Club Championships. Local club websites and, of course, the local Vancouver Sun and Province are great media outlets.

There are four teams entered from BC, two on the Men's side and 2 on the Women's side. Is there any info. on each of their own websites? I know one of the teams does not have one mention about it and we only have a few days left before the tourney.

BC Soccer, of all the organizations, should be the ones to be promoting the Nationals. They want a "grassroots approach" and if the want to do it, why not start at that level by sending emails to all the clubs in BC to have them post on clubs' websites? I guess it would take a genius to figure that one out...it is not rocket science or brian surgery.

I am sick and tired of hearing excuses from all levels of soccer that we tried and people do not have the interest and audience. There is an audience but if nobody is made aware how can we get better interest and develop players at the grassroots level?

What is even more interesting is the fact that the National Womens program has been relocated to Vancouver. Do you think that the powers that be will have a vested interest in the Nationals held here in the Lower Mainland? We will see...

I hope BC Soccer gets their act together and starts promoting the Senior/Master National Club Championships before it is too late!

These Championships only come once in so many years and why not set an excellent example for the rest of the country?

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks for posting this info Regs. Hopefully despite only knowing the game times one week before the tourney fans will still make it out to Newton to watch some great soccer.

I'm a little wound up about the job Surrey FC is doing in hosting this tourney. Outside of providing a venue in Newton Athletic where all the games can be played at one site (which is convenient), what has been done to promote the tournament?!? :confused:

There is no mention of it on their website, the social (or banquet) is being hosted by Sapperton - thanks to WAB and the guys for organizing it, but my question is why on Saturday night when the semis are on Sunday? Why not Friday night when no one has to play on Saturday?:confused:

But back to my rant, why is the social for a Surrey-hosted National Championship in New West and how do people get info on the tourney? If it wasn't for TTP, most people wouldn't know what's going on. The last two cities to host the Nationals each had their own site to promote the tourney with all the schedules, team names, photos, tournament info, etc. But all there is this year is the Canada Soccer website which is slim pickings to say the least. :rolleyes:

One more thing, why are the two finals at the same time on fields right next to each other? Why wouldn't you have them one after the other so that fans wouldn't have to choose which game to watch. :(

Come on guys, lets promote this thing and get some excitement going for the 4 BC Teams that are proudly representing our province!!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is why small cities get these tournament. I have had the fortunate opportunity to attend two nationals in St.John's 2002 Senior and 2005 U16. They were absolutely outstanding in terms of the LOC's effort in promoting the event and really providing the teams/players with a top-flight experience.

I also had the unfortunate pleasure of a Nationals in Toronto (Seniors 2001). The only bright spot of the event was that we won. It was not promoted, it was poorly attended, two of the five fields were absolute rubbish (and this is the national soccer centre by the way! Then we had one game rained out. Yes, rained out - and believe me it was only a freaking fall shower by our standards. They had a full size indoor field we could have used, but the OSA wouldn't bump the soccer school they had in it. The solution was the Ontario mens team offering up their OWN field (1 hour outside T.O.). By the time the women kicked off it was like 10:30pm. Original kickoff was 3:30. And by that time, it was raining like I'd never seen in my life.

The moral of the story is that smaller communities do a way better job of these events. They get lost in the shuffle when played in big urban centres.

The BCSA and MWSL should be ashamed of the lack of promotion. And I am really disappointed with Surrey FC for not one ounce of promotion of their own event. They made such a big deal when they announced it. Some ****-and-bull story about being the only BC 'club' to host a senior nationals (I suppose instead of a district or something).

And yes, Sapp hosting the social is ridiculous. Full kudos to WAB and the lads. Although, admittedly Friday night would have made alot more sense. But then again, Surrey FC should be hosting the damn thing anyways.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would just like to say thank you to WAB and Sapperton for stepping up to the plate for Nationals this week. After talking to one of the Favaro's on the weekend I was shocked to hear that they were hosting and cooking the food for the banquet social on the weekend. I was shocked when he told me that the team was pretty much pressured into it by I believe the BCSA. I asked him that if Surrey FC is the host what where they being held accountable for?He said he didn't know. Then tonight at work I ran into another Sapp player who told me that they weren't even offered money for the food, supplies and the hall. So now I find out that WAB and his crew took on this expense and have gone out of their way to get people and companies to sponsor and donate stuff. This is why the event is being held in New West. Another tid bit I also heard is that they were forced to hold this event on the saturday as the CSA expects it to be an all day event with the event running from 2pm till 11pm. What a joke that is, but at least it answered my question as to why it wasn't happening on the friday night which would make the most sense to every team invovled in this tournament. Let's see the CSA has scheduled the semi's for sunday morning at 9am but lets have the team social on a saturday night.:mad:
I have to add Surrey FC your club has been a big disgrace in terms of coordinating and hosting this event! Thank your lucky stars that WAB and Sapp might hopefully make this experience for everyone at least a little bit memorable, considering the short notice they have had to work with!
Hopefully Azzi gives Sapperton team of the week even though they aren't playing a league game in the VMSL this weekend.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would have told the CSA to go jump in a lake. But WAB and the Sapp boys are obviously better men than I. What a freaking disgrace. So Surrey FC will reap the rewards of the concession stand business at NAP, but doesn't have to do any work. Nice. I would ban the delegates from the CSA, BCSA and Surrey FC at the door. Or at least charge them.

As for the Saturday thing, that's pretty much par for the course at these things. Don't know why, but it is. It's like they want teams to lay out thousands and thousands of dollars to fly in from all over Canada to compete for a Championship, but the 'social' is more important than the matches. C'mon folks, the CSA needs to give its collective head a shake... teams come to win, not party. If they wanted to party they could stay home and save themselves the money and the effort.

(Go to a provincial tournament, and you'll see the same thing from BC Soccer as well. In the summer in Kamloops, the social - a spaghetti dinner for 500+ players - was the night before the finals!)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Day 1 Predictions

Alberta vs BC Coquitlam
Ontario vs Manitoba
PEI vs Yukon
Nova Scotia vs Newfoundland
BC Slurrey vs New Brunswick
Quebec vs Saskatchewan

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Manitoba upset Ontario 1-0. Good news for Coquitlam.

I can't see the wild card team coming out of this group (won't be enough goals scored), so two pretty good teams will be out of the competition after the round robin.

Lucky Alberta! Top seed and gets a group with Ontario and BC(2). They must be pissed.

Sarah Miles and Lynsey Burkinshaw scored for Coquitlam today. They'll need to bring their A+ game tomorrow against what should be a pretty desperate Ontario squad.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Surrey United came out strong against New Brunswick. Should have been up 4 or 5 at the half, but were only up 1-0. The second half Surrey United get's an early one from the spark plug Nutmegs and the nerves settled down. Great game for Surrey as they got everyone on the bench into the game. Final score was SU 5-0, onto Saskatchewan tomorrow.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Coquitlam tied Ontario today 2-2 while the other game in their group also ended in a tie. Coquitlam vs Manitoba tomorrow @ 11:30 to see who goes through to the semis.

Slurrey has just gotten underway with their second game.

Conductor

May 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Final score did end up 3-1 for Surrey.Martina with the natural hat trick.Give credit to Saskatchewan, they were a physical team that never gave up.Ref was brutal and the wierd thing was he was being assessed at the game by CSA. Surrey carried 70% of the play yet had 85% of the calls goe against them.The officiating crew was from Quebec which I thought was a conflict of interest seeing as we play Quebec today to see who will go through in our group. Games at 2:30 at Newton Park field #4 if anyone is interested in coming out and supporting Surrey. Also Coquitlam plays Manitoba this morning 11:30 with a tie being good enough to Advance Jimmy Holidays crew!.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Refs are being assessed all weekend. The majority of officials will be from BC ... so confict of interest isn't seen as a factor by CSA ... in fact they make no effort to avoid it.

It's a cost-saving measure. CSA doesn't have to spend a ton of money flying in officials from all over Canada and putting them up in hotel rooms. Interesting that they don't use the same philosophy when it comes to their own directors. :rolleyes: Someone should ask why the CSA Competition Director has to come to BC, when there's a competition right in his home province of Newfoundland.

Anyhow, the decision to do this with refs is not a good one, because to be flat out honest, most provinces don't have the number of quality officials to do all these games. Particularly the smaller provinces. Arguably, BC should be able to get away with it, but I didn't see many familiar zebras out there. None of the high profile ones anyhow.

The guy who did the Coquitlam/Manitoba game was in way over his head in my opinion. He just didn't manage the game well. That's as important as knowing the rules to be honest. That's what made a guy like Collina so damn good. He knew the rules, obviously, but he had a player's feel for the game.

Anyhow, hoping the level comes up for the knockout stages. Would like to see some more senior refs out for those games.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0