Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002-03: Predictions, Opinions & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lenarduzzi and Dew need to be up front with the players

Good luck. The man has never been up front. He is completely in it for himself and more often than not, it is at the expense of others. I don't know the other person, so I can't comment.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
breakers rumours

Unconfirmed reports have the Breakers (whatever their name is) close to a deal with the CBF that will have U19 Brazilian stars Marta and Daniella suiting up for the Breakers this summer.

As I said before this is mixed news for local soccer. It's good that the local team will have some superstar flavour to it - creating a team that could very well compete against the WUSA teams (let alone two-time W-League champs Boston). But it's bad news for local players looking to move up the ladder.

And what does it mean long term? Will the Brazilians return next year? Or even a player like Kara Lang? This is a World Cup year and everyone's priorities are a little skewed. I am afraid that long term development might be sacrificed for the purposes of short-term financial gain and the appeasement of national programs.

Having said that, if they do add these two Samba starst, the atmosphere at Breakers games should be fantastic.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burtini Signs With Surrey United

Silvana Burtini, National team forward turned defender, has signed with Surrey United. That's not good news for the rest of us, particularly UBC, who have long laid claim to Burtini, eventhough she hasn't played in the MWSL in several years.

With Hermus rumoured to have gone to Norway to play professional, Burtini will fill in nicely. Must give credit where credit is do, Sumner and Foden have done a good job with this one.

As these signings start to shake out, the 2003 Provincials roster deadline looms in the near future. An interesting problem is faced by team, particularly the Big Three who have the national team players on their roster. Surrey now has national teamers Burtini, Hermus and longshots Artuso and Maglio. UBC has Neil and Timko. Burnaby has Amber Allen. All of these players are key parts of their respective teams.

Should one of these teams win BC's they will face a dilemma come fall. The Nationals this year are at the same time as WWC 2003 in China.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Setting the record

Burnaby Canadians A and B have withdrawn from the Divisional Cup. We wanted to let you know why...

While the league had made some reference to a possible divisional cup for Premier, that was in an e-mail over a month ago, and no format or schedule was released.

This week, on Wednesday, a schedule was dropped on us, which had us playing four days later. Our B team already had a friendly set up with a team that had cancelled a match to play us. To pull out would have damaged our credibility immensely. Our A team was basically given the next couple of weeks off to recover from injuries and focus on Provincial Cup. We could not regroup them in time with such short notice.

The kicker was the fact that the format was round robin - one group of 4 and another of 5. The league clearly stated the finals would be the final weekend of march. Also, provincial cup qualifying was scheduled for the 9th and 16th of March. Do the math. There's no way that the round-robin would be completed. The league essentially said that they should know who would be in the final by March 23rd, as realistically only four teams have a chance anyhow. So the rest of us just get to play cannon fodder for the big three and mysterious fourth? Surrey and UBC or UBC and Burnaby in the final. Who cares if all the games aren't played.

That's not a Cup competition. It's a sham. And at $40 per game for officials, it was a waste of money. Not too mention a great risk of injury with provincial cup qualifying set to begin.

The league was angry with our decision, made some threats, and called me names. Eventually it all settled down. And a rational conclusion was achieved.

This past season, since the last AGM, has been a living hell for me in dealing with the MWSL. I think I am viewed as a threat. I speak my mind, and I speak it loud. Sure, I am opinionated and arrogant, but I just care about the MWSL. I guess they don't agree.

Nonetheless, once this season is done, so am I. No more MWSL for me. I am not too happy about it, but I would imagine some board members are. Bottom line... Life's too short, and there's better things to move on to and spend my time with.

It's been a blast. Two trips to nationals. One win. Two BC titles. Three trips to B Provincials, one bronze medal. Four consecutive quarter-finals appearances in Division 1 Cup. Met some great people, and coached some great girls.

Time to move on. Adios CD and BD, SC and Soccerbitches. I'll stick around on some of the other forums. But for this board and the MWSL, I have but one thing to say...

FB is OUT!

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No More Bastard, Now Fat Nice Guy

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
We could not regroup them in time with such short notice.

And at $40 per game for officials, it was a waste of money. Not too mention a great risk of injury with provincial cup qualifying set to begin.

FB is OUT!

Sorry to see you go FB, you have brought alot to Womens Soccer in Burnaby.

As for bring players together on short notice or being worried about injury, come on, it is soccer, you play games to get better, especially high intesity cup games to get ready for provincials.

Worrying about girls getting injuries before provincials is crazy, it coudl happen in training or even walking down the street. I know the league is unorganized, but if you have a chance at playing Cup games play them, it will make teams better and players better playing in more intense games.

This is what womens soccer has talked about for a long time, only having Provincial Cup and nothing else, this League Cup would be great, too bad it wasn't organized better.

Good luck with Your Extrem team this Summer, Mr. G.M.

HOS

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Banning fieldturf games

Poco manager told me today that the league tried to get the Poco-SBAA and Burnaby-Westside games moved off turf - eventhough home field goes to the higher seed - because Poco and Burnaby play on field turf.

Apparently, one director, or a group of them, decided that fieldturf gave unfair advantage to the home teams. Apparently was not a board decision.

Anyhow, Poco got pissed and so the league backed off. But have said they will add it to the operating rules next year that cup games not be played on turf.

Wonder what you guys think? I think it's absurd. With more municipalities going with this set-up, and given that our cup games are played during the stormy spring season, fieldturf facilities make things much easier. And honestly, as a coach of a team(s) that have played on the stuff for three years, the advantage is negligible.

Also, FIFA has approved it in principle for some matches. The CSA used it for youth national championship a couple of years ago, and the BCSA and youth districts use them all the time in Cup.

Why the MWSL wants to take this stand and refuse to move forward with the changing times is beyond me.

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hmmmmmm

"Why the MWSL wants to take this stand and refuse to move forward with the changing times is beyond me."

Agree 100% with your comments FB........

Here's another "good story" about the MWSL for you: as you know, we have been trying (BGSC, that is) to generate a women's program with a U21 team (already existing) and a premier B or div 1 team for our first year......we were told originally by the prez that yes, we had a great chance as the league wanted female clubs like ours to be involved. After 2 months of waiting (and many of CD's unreturned emails:mad: ), we were told no-go, that premier B is now full and we would have to start at div 2 as that is where the director's believe new teams should start and win their way up....and combined with Semi's slaughter this year, they don't want to risk that again. Fair enough.....as all we wanted was an answer. Then not more than two days later, the vice prez tells me that there may be a "very good" chance that one or two of the planned premier A teams may not continue.......and guess what??? Yep, we could have their spot. What happened to their belief of starting at the bottom and not throwing a new team into the A group???? :confused: :confused: :confused: Not that we wouldn't take it...I know I can put together a solid team to compete, but guess what? They won't confirm it to us until the summer. Geez, glad they will give me plenty of time to put together a team!:eek:

Anyways......are we playing a game this weekend FB??? Need to let my field person know ASAP if I am requesting a pitch?

CD

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Banning fieldturf games

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
Why the MWSL wants to take this stand and refuse to move forward with the changing times is beyond me.

Good move by the MWSL if they try to get off the Field Turf, will be better for the game and for the health of all the players.

First on the health of the players. It has been noted that playing on the field turf is harder on the Body than a natural surface like grass. The amount of injuries to knees and ankles is far greater than what takes place from games on grass. Add to this the fact that Womens bio-mechanics makes them more suseptable to these knee injuries, you can see why the league would want to get away from Field Turf for High Level games.

Second on the quality of the play, the Womens game, like the Mens game, should be played of grass fields if weather is permitting. Yes FIFA has said that these fields are playable at the International level now, but only because some countries have such problems with sustaining a quality grass field.

Higher level games for Men or Women should be played on Grass if possible, yes our weather here forces us to use Turf, and that is fine, but if a grass field is available it should be used. Turf is great for training and for youth games but not at higher levels.

HOS

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm one of those "other div" ladies

I am from Div.3 and we are moving to Div.2 next year (03/04)

Vancouver Jaguars...we are in the FINALS w/ Delta United and it shall be a good game. If you are interested...

Sunday, April 6th...2:00pm...Don Christian

:wa:

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
is there an entrance fee?

I would certainly pay money to take in that game.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
P.S.

There are 2 Beernuts chicks on our team...I'll leave it to spectators to figure us out...tee hee hee ;)

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HEY SC!

You even in our neck of the woods lately? Thought you went away somewhere to work or something?

The Jaguars/Delta U game this Sunday should be good game (it should be my team playing if we didn't play our last cup game with our heads up our asses) so if you're around you should come check it out!

And Striker14 don't be a dumbass...... don't say there's no entrance fee when there is.....

EVERYONE MUST BRING A CASE OF BEER! :wa:

:D Spazz

oneofthosepeoplethatcan'tstandwatchingandnotplaying

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh and Striker....

To get the guys out you should mention if it's raining again you guys will do the "chest slides" in your white jersey's again.....

That oughta get themn out to the game.....

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hey Spazz

Chest slides? I don't know what you are talking about? Does the fact that I am still picking grass out of my A** mean anything?

It was refreshing, I must say, and believe it or not...the grass stains and mud came out of my socks, and jersey.

I am one to stand by my word, aren't I?

If it is wet enough...you WILL see a replay of "the slide"...mark my words!!

seeyouonthepitch :wa:

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Better hope it's not on turf

If you're true to your word Striker and it's a 'turf' field & wet and raining I am going to expect to see that slide on the chest.....
it'll hurt but will be worth it to us spectators!!! :wa:

Oh too see Lips (person.... not "lips" of any kind) slide on "the hounds"................. hee hee :eek:

awecomeonSC,youknowyoumisstheMWSLandallit'scrap!

Spazz

Oct 10, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Delta United B

I just noticed they were from our pool and we beat them (they're behind us in second place) :

Division 3D GP W L T F A "+ -" PTS
New West Hyacks 15 11 1 3 45 7 38 36
Delta United B 15 11 3 1 33 17 16 34

...... so why are the Jaguars in the final against them and we're not?? OH YA...... cause we played the Cup Games with our heads up our asses......

If that's who you're up against Striker, then I say....

NO PROBLEM!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0