Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002-03: Predictions, Opinions & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Great points Cartdriver/Bravedart

Bravedart....may I suggest taking as many of the Semiahmoo U18 players as possible up on a BCSA youth/senior permit every Sunday?? Especially when they are scheduled to play my Burnaby girls!

Bravedart,

Can you make that permit thing work when Semiahmoo are scheduled to play my Richmond team? Thanks.

Cartdriver,

I guess I will be seeing you this year in league play. As I just stated, I coach the Richmond U-18 Metro team. :)

Could someone let me know who I would have to talk to in order to get a team into the MWSL? Next September, Club Ireland will be starting a women's program and I will hopefully have a very good mix of players I have been coaching over the last five years and some of the Richmond players that are leaving this year? Could it be possible to start at Div. 1 or 2? It doesn't seem like it but if anyone knows my best way to approach this, I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

BTW, Cartdriver, we play Semiahmoo, Vancouver, and Abbotsford this weekend in a tournament. OUCH! Talk about starting your year of with a few old fashioned whoopings. :( I am still struggling to get a 12th player........

Captain

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Only 12??

Captain,

12 players against those three?? Ummm..yeah, I wish you well. We managed to beat Vancouver, tie Semi, and tie Abby in our last league meetings against those three last year...but they are obviously three of the top dogs in our league.

I tried to get some friendlies in Seattle this weekend, but the schedule wouldn't work right, so we are in the Langley tourny instead. Mixed feelings though...Only have 13 kids available most of the weekend so I may not have liked starting right off with your group, but our group in Langley has a mix of U17/U18 and both gold/metro...so I don't know what to expect.

CS...did you coach with that Richmond group last year? I only remember seeing a woman on the sidelines at our meetings last year.

This is sounding like a U18 thread now isn't it?!:)

As far as getting a MWSL team, piece of cake. They are struggling for U21 teams, div 2 and some div 1's....but as is evidenced by the Semiahmoo addition, they must be struggling for teams at the top flight as well if they took in a brand new unproven team 2 weeks before the season starts.

Bravedart...curious how you are making out getting a squad together on short notice?

CDhopinghisnewkeepergetsbackfromGreecebeforeseasonkicksoff!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Schedules???

Here we are, just a matter of days before the season starts and still no schedule. At the very least I thought we would have found out the when and the where for the first game of the year.

I know scheduling is a shite job, and that field allocations aren't always finalized until the last minute, but I know the VMSL skeds were done last week, as were the girls metro schedules.

So, I wonder, why not us?:confused:

BKdonewellwithtoureyontheweekend

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Damn straight, Fat Bastard.

Some may moan on about how the current MWSL executive has been working at the league for many years now, and that they volunteer their time, and they're trying their best, and blah, blah, blah. It's time to wise up for fcuk sakes. If they can't get this sh!t done on time, then look for help (and that means publicizing their search for help).

Complaints and whining about late additions to the divisions make it hard to formalize groupings and schedule is a load of crap, considering they're the ones putting themselves in these positions (see Semiahoo addition in above posts). It's time to start making deadlines and getting things done with reasonable amounts of time to spare.

Get this sh!t sorted out. :mad:

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who needs this kind of info??

Why would anyone want to know ahead of time when they play?? Work schedules, family get-togethers, social lives....who needs'em? Let's just wait until Friday to find out when the ladies play. Crap.

Keeper....good points on publicizing the assistance needed. I would've been happy to spend an evening or more helping out with scheduling/allotments or WHY. But the old school knows best I guess. Our metro girls' schedules were out over a week ago and I know the boys/men are out too.

Anyone get the feeling the MWSL is idling in neutral facing a steep hill to respectability or improvement?!

CD

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 1 Predictions

Canadians "A" over Poco FC
- I am sure Poco was looking for a more warm welcome to Premier than the Canadian Champs.

Sportstown will defeat Semiahmoo
- Ditto. Good luck Bravedart.

Norvan will edge SBAA
- Should be a good match. Norvan is team for the future, at least based on their play last year. SBAA is struggling for players, but have one of the top keepers in the League to hold them in.

Surrey will knock off Westside
- Westside has traditionally strong starts to the season. But, Surrey has a very talented side, and not a lot of University commitments. The question is... who's keeping goal for United?

Burnaby Canadians B have the bye. Thank you for the unbalanced schedule Bravedart!:mad:

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cart's predictions....

If this is the sched, then my picks are the same as FB (sorry, boring, I know)...purely based on last year's finish and the few player moves we know of.

Norvan is my dark horse to go top 3 or 4 and upset somebody in playoffs (hello Alumni or SU?). They have a keeper who was at U19 National camps last year, played one year at Oregon State U, and has been playing forward having fun splitting the time with their last years' returning Cap College keeper (I also coached her so am a bit prejudiced!). If they get to a "mean something" game, she will get the call and could be the difference. SU lost their keeper to div 1 retirement....that is, she didn't want to commit to premier anymore and wasn't having fun. So give the SU div 1 team the nod for doing extremely well in their league based on that development alone.:)

CD

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They have a keeper who was at U19 National camps last year, played one year at Oregon State U
Is Heidi Slaymaker still involved in that program down there?

~Regs.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs

"Yes" (Slay)

Fatty, are you sure? Interesting...
Norvan will edge SBAA

Anyone get the feeling the MWSL is idling in neutral facing a steep hill to respectability or improvement?!
CD, try being a player in the league for many, many years... did I mention many years?:mad:

Playing for "keeps",
This will never happen
It's time to start making deadlines and getting things done with reasonable amounts of time to spare.

Captain Shammy,
Club Ireland will be starting a women's program and I will hopefully have a very good mix of players
Are you sure these gals are going to be able to "handle" a teammate like me? Twice their age, and powerful ON the bench!

+TheCloser
"My drinking team has a soccer problem" :wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan

Fatty, are you sure? Interesting...
"Norvan will edge SBAA"
Norvan was the first rookie Premier team in some time to qualify for Provincials. They have made a concerted effort to become better, rather than just bitch about getting smacked around and then returning to Division One with their tails between their legs. Good on them.
Gabby's a pretty good keep and she'll help them out alot when she's needed. Plus, let's face it, the North Shore is a goldmine for women's soccer talent. It's about time someone actually used it.
Norvan should finish top four.

Questions surrounding the SU goal continue. No Nicci and no Kylie? What will they do? Knowing Mr.Foden as I do, I don't think it will be a problem left unsolved for long.

Reports have SBAA struggling for players, not just quality but quantity. This is baffling given the size of their club. Of course, the BC way of measuring club success through sheer amount of registrations doesn't always translate into skilled players. Nonetheless, the SBAA coach could be looking at a repeat of his Aldergrove days when a mediocre team relied wholly on a great keeper (then: Michelle...now:Theresa).

If anyone else has any scoops, then just bring it!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sleeper Picks

Speaking of sleeper picks... Don't count out the Burnaby Canadians B side for a decent campaign.

They're really young, and more than likely in for a long season, but the good thing about being young and new to the league is that they don't know any better. They don't know Surrey is supposed to whip their butts.

They have a lot of players fresh out of U18, from Abbotsford, Cliff Ave and Burnaby Girls, plus a few former Metro Ford players.

They should be competitive with Semiahmoo and Poco, and should give tough games to SBAA and Westside.

We'll have to wait and see.

HOSwasMIAatweekendtourney:(

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Different Pre-Season Training

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
HOSwasMIAatweekendtourney:(
Tried to stay away from the Pints and Burgers, but just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

Good luck on the up coming season Fat Bastard, hope the young girls can pull out some W's.
Has your team been playing against the 1st team at all, and how are they making out.

Good luck to both teams, the Burnaby Women have a great program.

HOSwillcheckoutagamesoon

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Has your team been playing against the 1st team at all, and how are they making out.
Trained with them, but haven't played them. Don't think that would be pretty. Not right now anyhow.
The "A" side is struggling some for numbers. Lots signed, but half dozen are at university or college, plus we've got a few knocks right now.:(
But we'll get it sorted out in no time. And as Brian Burke says, "we don't play a meaningful game until October.":D

FBhadnothingtodowithmusicontheweekend:knvb:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Night Games

This was talked about on the "results" thread, thought I'd move it over here for more feedback and discussion.

How many MWSL Premier teams would be open to Saturday night (Friday night) games? I think it opens up alot of doors for our respective programs, particularly with regards to club systems and youth affiliations.

When everyone plays Sundays, it's can hinder those processes. The men's leagues have vastly improved with Friday night games. Back when Andrew Corazza (SFU/Inter) was playing youth in Metro Ford, he was playing Friday nights with the MF FVSL premier side or the Wolves, then maybe a game on Saturday with one of the senior sides, then his own game on Sunday. The kid ended up the leading scorer on his own team and the senior team.

Anyhow, I know that we in Burnaby have discussed the idea of moving our Premier games to Saturday evening (7:00pm) or something. I think it's the future. It might also help us "sell" our Premier division a bit more.

Any thoughts?

FBthanksCartdriverforbringingthistopicup:D

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
nice thoughts...

I'm all for "trying" to change the world, but do you think this will really happen?

I hope so, this may open up some options to the ladies that deserve to play on some decent pitches... As well as all the new turf fields, I know that Minoru is mint at this time of year...

Now, how do we sway this decision?:eek:

Fatty, what's this rumour on UBC picking up another keeper:confused:

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
just imagine....

Just imagine a Saturday night under the lights at Minoru/BBY Lake/Port Moody with a good size crowd cheering on the ladies in a "feature" game of the week. The local papers could post the game in their sports section. All of the other women's teams may come out to watch. Maybe a reporter with a camera. Wow. FB and SC should join CD at the next MWSL AGM for a hostile takeover of the league with our ideas! A couple of Friday night games mixed in and all of a sudden you've got U17 or U18 metro teams and coaches chomping at the bit to get a few of their top players competing in these games. What if Pellerud is out west (or Bridge) and drops by to "discover" a player or two on a regular basis?

But again, I digress, as innovative ideas and the MWSL haven't seemed to blend well in the past.

CD

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
hostile takeover

FB and SC should join CD at the next MWSL AGM for a hostile takeover of the league with our ideas!

Already tried it, my friend. It doesn't do much good. The majority of this league is rec, and they don't much care about the 10-15 premier and div1 teams that are competitive. The executive's thinking often reflects that.

The old prez is back in again, and the old guard has control.

I organized the all-star game last year at Port Moody Turf. It was a friday night game and was a resounding success. The park was packed with people. Even Pellerud, Ian Bridge, Dave Dew were all in attendance. The BCSA (who tried to claim some credit for it) had their all-star coaching staff out. If you don't mind me tooting my own horn, it was a major step forward.

Do you think it will happen this year? I have my doubts.

The majority of this league has been spoon fed by the executive for so long that they won't want to change the people in charge.

This is a quote from one of the directors, at a meeting where we were debating some premier issues such as linesmen, roster limits, sub limits, etc., "We spend too much time worrying about nine teams."

Enough said.

FatBastardsuretobeblackballednow:(

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 2 Prognostications

Here's my picks for the weekend...

Semiahmoo vs. Westside: Westside
Both teams should expect better results than last Sunday. Westside should bring home three points, and BD's crew can expect a somewhat more respectable scoreline.

Burnaby Canadians B vs. Poco FC: Burnaby:D
OK, I am biased. Burnaby is missing a half-dozen college players, but should be able to squeak out a win in a match between two evenly matched newcomers.

Surrey United A vs. Norvan: Surrey
Surrey will go to 2-0, but spunky Norvan is sure to give them a fight. This one does have potential to be upset of the week. Particularly with Randee at National Camp.

Burnaby vs. UBC: draw:confused:
Burnaby just doesn't have the bodies right now, due to university and injury. However, UBC is missing Andrea Neil and Brittany Timko (if she has signed with them?) due to Nat camp. It's a toss-up. One note... it will be Nadia Pietramala's return, after missing 18 months.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 3 Predictions

Here we go (two for four last week)...

Could have four 5-0 scores this weekend! :(

Norvan will pound Semiahmoo (sorry BD), in what could be Semi's last game. As Norvan is a better side than Westside, I would guess this one could be rather lopsided again. PICK NORVAN.

UBC should handle the Burnaby youngsters with ease. Burnaby will put up a fight, but I would imagine this one will be in the neighbourhood of 3 to 5 nil. PICK UBC.

Westside has the unenviable opportunity to tackle a pissed-off Burnaby, who will have both Michele Gademans and Amber Allen back in the lineup. Wednesday's training was as intense as the Caps have trained since the spring. As Burnaby is not known for lopsides scorelines, they should come away with a 4-0 win. PICK CANADIANS.

Surrey is once again running over the opposition WITHOUT Artuso and Blaker. This weekend will be no different. Theresa Nuttall may keep this one close, but expect the Foden's lassies to break through and take home another easy three points. PICK SURREY.

FBhopingUBChasuseduptheirgoalsforawhile?:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0