Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

2002-03: Predictions, Opinions & Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Week 3 Predictions, Hope the Ladies Don't See This

Originally posted by Fat Bastard

UBC should handle the Burnaby youngsters with ease. Burnaby will put up a fight, but I would imagine this one will be in the neighbourhood of 3 to 5 nil. PICK UBC.

What is the pre-game talk on this one:

"Well we are playing UBC, so try not to let the score go higher than 4 or 5 OK girls, now go get em."

What a Bastard, at least have a little confidence in the girls, that they can battle and get something out of the game.

Why not just not show up and take the 1-nil Default.

Give the girls a boost and tell them that thier hard work can make mirricles and that stranger things have happened in soccer.

Senegal over France, who could have thought that one?

HOS

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm just being a realist!

Hey HOS, I know, I should be more positive. I was just giving a realistic prediction, as I have only 11 healthy due to injuries and collegiate commitments. (Also trying the age-old ploy of playing the underdog card for public consumption!)

That said... We're certainly going to give UBC a run. My players are young, inexperienced, naive, and frankly they don't know any better.

We have a gameplan in place, and if we execute it and don't make a lot of mistakes, it's not out of question to say that we might get a favourable result.

Bottom line... win, lose or draw, with all the crap going on about Semiahmoo right now, my team just wants to walk away from the pitch on sunday with UBC's respect. We don't want to be the laughing stock on this forum or on the agenda for any MWSL board meeting!

(If any UBC players are reading this, ignore the above and concentrate on my earlier prediction, it is in my best interests for you all to be overconfident!) ;)

I'll let you all know how we do on Sunday. Still sticking by the other predictions, and do not envy Westside one bit.

Fortherecord...
IfFBdidn'tthinkhecouldwineverygamehewouldn'tbecoaching.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
lurkers....

Fatty, don't forget about all the 'lurkers' out there:eek:

HOS, I see your spelling hasn't improved any:p
FB, what the hell is this about?:confused:7-nil :eek: :confused:

Is this a club that is ready for the Nationals?:(

+SCmaybedown,butnotout

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 4 Predictions

Here we go... (four for four last week)

Burnaby Canadians B over Westside. :D
I'm taking the upset in this one. Burnaby should feel pretty confident after a decent second half versus UBC, while Westside is reeling from their loss last week coupled by their 8-0 drubbing in week 1.

Sportstown UBC over Poco :(
Should be another UBC romp. However, Poco does have some spark and they may give UBC a tough go, but UBC will still bring home the three points running away.

SBAA Saints over Semiahmoo
It will get better this week for BD, but his team still isn't good enough to beat an established side like SBAA. SBAA needs a win to stay out of the cellar.

Burnaby Canadians A over Norvan
This will be the game of the week, but Burnaby is looking to be rounding into form with nats coming up. Amber Allen is dominating in the opponent's half of the field, and she's freeing up room for Phebe Trotman to do her thing. Norvan will put up a good fight, and the result should be close.

DoesHOSlikeFB'soptimisticoutlookbetternow?

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Week 4 Predictions

Originally posted by Fat Bastard
Here we go... (four for four last week)

Burnaby Canadians B over Westside. :D
I'm taking the upset in this one. Burnaby should feel pretty confident after a decent second half versus UBC, while Westside is reeling from their loss last week coupled by their 8-0 drubbing in week 1.

Burnaby Canadians A over Norvan
This will be the game of the week, but Burnaby is looking to be rounding into form with nats coming up. Amber Allen is dominating in the opponent's half of the field, and she's freeing up room for Phebe Trotman to do her thing. Norvan will put up a good fight, and the result should be close.

DoesHOSlikeFB'soptimisticoutlookbetternow?

I guess this answers my question about the Club being ready for nationals:rolleyes:

+SCiswonderingwhatiswrongwithWestside:confused:

I'm hearing that Westside Shooters (Div. 1) are pumpin' so far this season:wa: Or is it just the experienced Alumni Exs filling in the gaps? Besty, over to you ;)

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SC, explain something to me.

As one of the many ( :rolleyes: ) photographers for Westside, I find myself taking all the team photos for our women. Now, why is it that most of them insist on posing with the front row with both knees on the ground? All sexual induenos aside, I've tried to tell them that being on one knee or squating looks better, but they continue to go on both knees for me. It's really beginning to irritate me, but they just won't stop.

Are most women's teams like this?

Exhibit 1:
fcwomen.jpg

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 5 Predictions

Here's my weekly picks (3 for 4 last week).

Burnaby B & Norvan draw.
Yeah I know, I'm biased on this one. But the young squad has really played well for the past game and a half, and I have to say they're due.

Sportstown over SBAA.
This should be another 3 points for UBC. The wild card here will be the SBAA goalie who can be as good as anyone when she's on, but her supporting cast isn't strong enough to keep UBC from the three points, but perhaps they won't max out on the score for a change?

Surrey United over Semiahmoo.
Sorry BD but this will not like be pretty. SU has the league's most potent offence, and will likely be relishing the opportunity to use it.

Westside FC over Poco FC
Poco FC will give Westside all they can handle. However, Poco's lack of a keeper will probably be the difference in what will otherwise be a very tight match.

FBlookingforwintomoveoutofthecellar:(

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
CD's picks.....

Here are my picks for the coming weekend. I haven't checked the MWSL website for matchups, so I am assuming FB's are correct.

Norvan over BBY B. Sorry FB, but I think with 2 decent keepers and more experienced players at this level, Norvan wins 3-1.

UBC over SBAA. Theresa may keep it closer than the other Alumni results, but UBC rolls to a 3-0 win.

SU over Semi 6-0. Nuff said.

POCO win against Westside 2-1. POCO seems more aggressive and full of desire than Westside. Westside did not appear that potent offensively against BBY B, so I don't see them lighting up a better team in POCO.

At least there is some difference in picks now....that makes for better TTP'ing!

CDwon'tbewatchinganyoftheseashisgirlsmakethetorturoustriptoNanaimofortheday:(

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Photography 101

Originally posted by Keeper

Exhibit 1: [/IMG]

First off, I would usually blame the photographer here, in terms of making your subjects feel comfortable. Is it you? Then I guess I can't answer the question.

I can, however, tell you this: We (females) are told at a very young age that is it isn't polite to spread our legs in front of others, well, at least that's what I've heard.:rolleyes:

Perhaps your subjects are particularly shy or very young. (I can see by having a few good friends of mine in the picture, the "young age" thing is the factor). I can only discribe it as follows:How the hell does one describe the fricken "American high five" after a football(soccer) match? You high five your own teammates damnet, not your opponents! The previous is exactly what young female soccer players conduct after a match.

So in terms of answering your questions, I can't give all the secretes of females away. :eek: Perhaps Auntie Jinks may know the answer to this:rolleyes:

I'm also running out of internet time, so I have to run...TOBECONTINUED

~SC:wa:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Case of the Missing Match

So those of you that follow the MWSL (precious few I know) were probably expecting to see a UBC-SBAA result on the old website last night or this morning. However, you, like me, were probably shocked to see that the game has been mysteriously removed from the schedule and scoreboard.

Apparently, UBC was waiting at 10:00am to play the game. SBAA showed up at 2:00pm. And at different fields... UBC at Todd (?) and SBAA at Fleetwood. :confused:

As we all know the website clearly stated that it was UBC's home game. So obviously SBAA management made the cardinal sin of running a soccer team - THEY FORGOT TO CHECK THE SCHEDULE! Hey, we've all done it. It sure feels stupid, but life goes on and we live to play another game. So, UBC chalks up another 5-0 win, just without having to work for it.:rolleyes:

Ahhh... not so fast. That 5-0 scoreline was nowhere to be found on the web page last night. All record of that game being scheduled for yesterday has disappeared. :eek:

It would appear that the league wants us to think this never happened. It would appear that the league does not want to give UBC the points that from all available evidence appears to be clearly theirs for the taking.

Why the pardon for SBAA's obvious mix-up? Things that make you say hmmmm? Could it be that UBC management is not the most popular with the league (join the club... we have jackets!)? Could it be that the 3 members of the 8 person board are involved with SBAA as coaches? It is a mystery to be sure.

(Tongue now removed from cheek. Foot prepared to enter mouth.)

It would appear to be yet another case of this league playing favourites. This league promotes mediocrity. Case in point... a second division that gets bigger every year and a premier division that gets smaller (nothing against div.2 players, but watering down div.2 does nothing for you guys either). Teams that try to crack that barrier by attempting to become better, that try to have some ambition (misguided or otherwise), such as UBC, Burnaby and even BD and his Semiahmoo side, are often the targets of board actions, while teams that toe the line are cut some slack time after time.

(Climbing down off soapbox, foot still firmly stuck in mouth.)

FBgonnapisspeopleoffifhekeepsthisup...ohtoolate!:wa:

bravedart

Aug 1, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a joke!

The members of the board should be concerning themselves with running the league in a respectable manner and not trying to satisfy their own egos.

Semiahmoo was told that we could have a Premier spot knowing full well where our talent was coming from, but since we can't get the results that certain members on the board would like to see (not surprising considering the fact that we are brand new to the league, put together late in the summer and have no keeper with any discernable 'premier' talent until November) all we seem to hear are threats of kicking us out of premier. Oh, wait, now we can stay. Sorry, my bad now we should play U-21 but be allowed in the Div 1 cup with "considerations" of playing in premier next year. After all I have seen, those considerations are only words of coersion (sp?) so the board can be satisfied that a bad decision can be eliminated.

Certain members on the board seem to abuse their power at times, for good (in terms of granting Semiahmoo a premier spot to help promote the top level of soccer in the Lower Mainland to scaredie cat div. 1 teams - although we haven't done a good job of it yet, but it is coming along) and for bad (in terms of trying to cover up mistakes that are made in ways that are unjust and biased - possibly like this decision).

The board's conduct in their decisions needs to be questioned. I know there are few people who will do their time consuming job but that does not mean that their positions should be held without integrity.

Are their decisions based on the development of soccer in general for all those involved or are they being made selfishly, to help out an aqaintance or satisfy their own personal feelings.

:)

BDwaitingfordisgruntled/satisfiedotherstorespond...

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Can an outsider join you guys?????

So, I logon looking for some light TTP banter and see the previous two "serious" posts. Wow, sure made me sit up from my slouch in a hurry...I almost knocked the umbrella out of my bitch drink:cool:

I wonder how a coach that has been developing youth players for 8 years now (me!) will be dealt with when he approaches the league after this season looking for a top flight spot with players, a club sponsor, a field, etc.. Will I get the same treatment? That is, open arms one day, kicked in the arse the next. I have grown to know quite a few involved in the women's game, but FB's idea a week ago for creating a new league with new blood, ideas, and direction seem more appropriate when hearing from the 2 coaches above that are currently in the MWSL.

I suggest a new league with a minimum of 6 teams (8 would be great!)....U21 or 23 for the first year with no premier div....but it would be promoted as a premier level of play.....also somewhere for metro and good gold players to go after U18 where they currently are abandoned by most clubs when they graduate. By year 2, add an "open" div (premier) and maybe follow it with "rec" another year later. A 6 or 8 team league would not be hard to support the first year with things such as fields and promotion. Wait this makes too much sense to me. Gotta go and give my head a rest.

CDthinksFBandBDmaketoomuchsensetobeheard:p

:wa:

halfvolley

Jan 18, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cartdriver know what he's saying!

Take it from me I've know this guy for years and he coaches at all levels like he's been coaching since birth. Knows a lot about the game and had been around the different leagues both men and women.

Congrats on semiahmoo putting a team in a tough league. Hope they do well. Where will all there home games be played? I'm a little out of the loop.

Talking about turfs...Mackie's new turf is nothing to get excited about. For some reason it has not been rolled well and the turf catches very easy. Can you say knee tear out for season. I'd much rather play at P. Moody turk or even Burnaby which I know has its downfalls too.

SC

Jul 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I just checked the website out...

Originally posted by Keeper

Exhibit 1:

Good work with the photos (you like them young, don't you):eek:

+SCsaysit'snicetoseeactionphotos;)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 6 Predictions

Here's my selections for this weekend...

Sportstown UBC over Norvan
The only question here is whether or not UBC gets their 5th 5-0 score to start the season. Norvan did not look good against the Burnaby second team two weeks ago.

Burnaby B and Surrey Utd. draw
This may be pushing into fantasyland, but Surrey hasn't played in what seems like eons, Artuso and Blaker aren't playing, Hermus is questionable (due to national tam), and the Burnaby defense is pretty strong. Plus, if I don't pick my own team HOS tears a strip off me.

Burnaby A hammers Semiahmoo
Bad news for BD. While post-nationals letdowns are common, Burnaby is feeling a tad bit ornery and may be looking to make examples of their next few opponents.

SBAA Saints over Poco FC
SBAA's goaltending is superior to Poco's which has been non-existent at times. That should be the difference as these two teams match up well otherwise, and this could be the game of the week.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Week 7 Predictions

Poco FC vs Surrey United: SURREY UTD.
With Artuso and Blaker making rather emphatic returns last weekend, Surrey looks poised to run off a few solid wins in a row. Poco doesn't have much of a shot here.

Burnaby B vs. Semiahmoo: BURNABY
Burnaby will pick up its first win, albeit in what should be a close match. Semiahmoo had a decent outing last weekend, but much of that was the work of their keeper, who has college commitments this Sunday.

SBAA Saints vs. Burnaby A: BURNABY
Burnaby didn't play well last weekend. But they had a solid training session this week, and will be looking to seek some revenge against SBAA who knocked them out of league cup last year. SBAA has one win this year, coming against a 8-player Semiahmoo side.

Westside vs. Norvan: WESTSIDE
Westside had a decent showing against Poco in their last game, but that was three weeks ago. Norvan has struggled of late with a draw verus Burnaby B and a one-side loss to UBC. Westside will prevail in what should be a decent match.

If everything goes according to "plan" there'll be a just three points separating fifth from eighth by Sunday's end. Halfway through the season, it looks like there will be quite a fight for positions, and avoid #2 and #3 in Provincial qualifying (assuming of course that the process remains unchanged from last year).

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
rumours and such.....

So, any rumours or stories out there??

Bravedart....are you still hanging in there? Coming back next year?

FB....what is up with BBY A? Heard rumblings some girls are unhappy and with the start to this season and the Nationals mess, it seems things are a bit disjointed!?

Any word on premier expansion for next year? A U21 women's coach told me Sunday that he was told from the league that they want a 10 team premier league next year and subsequent years. Seems to be a strange bottleneck with lots of div 2 and div 1 teams but no real numbers at the premier level. Is this level too elite or are there just that many players spread amongst div 1 that just don't want to play premier??

No other women's followers out there? I find it hard to believe that no one else cares? OK, I'm tearing up now....gotta go....

CDwouldstilllikeanXgamebutFBnevercallsorwrites:D

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah, Burnaby "A" is struggling right now. They dominated on the weekend, but they're not getting the job done on offense. Too many squandered chances, and against UBC and SU that will haunt them. I am sure alot has to do with the disappointment from Nationals, but this team has historically meandered through the regular season. Honestly, in this league, none of the games count until April.

As for the expansion of this league, I think 12 is the ideal number. Two groups of six is perfect. Either tier it into A and B like they used to, or split it up like they used to seed you at Nationals, based on the previous years standings.

I've been told that Premier numbers are going to be bumped up by promoting the division 1A and 1B winners. No questions asked. I won't hold my breath on this one. While I am pretty sure Valley United would take the promotion should they win, I certainly have my doubts should Coquitlam City, Westside, Meralomas or Vancouver Only win. And as history has shown it will depend on who actually wins promotion to see how hard the league pushes them up.

It seems that much of the problem is that in this league, many of the successful teams enjoy the winning more than the competition. Good division one teams go to Premier and aren't prepared to tough out the hard times. That's why coaches like BD and teams like his should be applauded.

Anyhow, I am not holding my breath for the league to get the Premier division sorted out. They're focus appears to be on building a 100 team second division.

Adios!
FB

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Schedule change

For any of you out there who care...

The all-Burnaby match which had been scheduled for Friday evening has been rescheduled due to the fact the field is not available as first was thought.

The game between Burnaby Canadians "A" and Burnaby Canadians "B" will now be played on Sunday, 3:00pm at Burnaby Lake West #1.

Sorry about that, it would have been great to have a Friday night game. Too bad.

FB

FBhopingonedaytoseenightgamesinwomenssoccer

Cartdriver

Jun 9, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Would've been cold tonight anyways....

Hey FB,

As you can tell by the posts here, not too many do care.....but I do!! Tear. Besides, now you can head out to TWU and watch UBC, TWU, Calgary, and UVIC in the CIS western finals.

Now you guys are playing on the same pitch right after my girls on Sunday.....I must warn you though, Captain Shamrock's team is last in our league and can't score and we are middle of the pack and can't score...so it should be an ugly game to watch:eek:

BTW, can't do a Nov 11 game...half of my team is helping the club run a 7-a-side youth thingie! What about if I work on a Tuesday or Thursday night game in the next couple of weeks?

CDjusthopinghisteamcoversthepointspread:wa:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0