Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Youth Soccer Nostalgia

Tim Berners-Lee

Aug 29, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Why because I don't agree with the league of extraordinary grandfathers? Because nobody has given anything that contradicts my claim? PS Johnny boy was mentioned earlier in the thread, thanks for keeping up.

I know he was. He gave a keeper clinic in a sandbox for 5 bucks 20 years ago. I dont think anyone understood that you were only talking about guys who would currently be aged 26-28???

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
No I was talking about talent. But I like the triple question mark, it shows you are typing angry and that I am successfully in your head. Who got shite kicked now old man?

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Berg:

A couple more for you... Steve Nesin, Buzz Parsons, a couple of brothers named Gant... all got a bit further in the game than CJ has been able to yet. Yes, I know they're all old, but that doesn't mean that they weren't good enough to be paid to play at a decent level.

Most talented is probably a little too subjective given that you didn't have a chance to see where these guys (and those named previously) were at in their prime.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
CJ is one of the most talented players that I have ever seen in these parts...definitely the most skilfull, in my opinion. But he is currently missing a lot of the other qualities that made many of these other players more complete...and successful. But CJ still has time to proove Bronco wrong.

:cool:

For me, the youth legendary player of all time is Mike Smith. This was a guy that had a full beard and hair on his chest at the U-12 Sun Tournament. Him and Colin Pettingale...these guys had 11 year olds waking up in the middle of the night screaming for their mommies. Ironically, they both turned out to be "wee men"...mind you, wee men that were tough as nails.

Smitty would definitely be in my all-time vmsl XI if he stuck around a little longer. Maybe up front with CJ.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CJ is one of the most talented players that I have ever seen in these parts...definitely the most skilfull, in my opinion. But he is currently missing a lot of the other qualities that made many of these other players more complete...and successful. But CJ still has time to proove Bronco wrong.

For me, the youth legendary player of all time is Mike Smith. This was a guy that had a full beard and hair on his chest at the U-12 Sun Tournament. Him and Colin Pettingale...these guys had 11 year olds waking up in the middle of the night screaming for their mommies. Ironically, they both turned out to be "wee men"...mind you, wee men that were tough as nails.

Smitty would definitely be in my all-time vmsl XI if he stuck around a little longer. Maybe up front with CJ.

Great shout on Mike Smith. That guy was unbelievable in youth and VERY hard to play against. Pettingale was a man-child and you're right, it's funny to see him now and compare to what I thought of him when we were 14/15.

fat monkey

Oct 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was lucky enough to play alongside Craig Forrest on the first ever Metro-Ford team before he went off to Ipswich to play. He didn't get in any games with us as left before the season in England. We thought we had a pretty big hole to fill and didn't know where to turn. His replacement for us that year?

Pat Onstad.:wa:

Two of the "most talented" keepers to ever play in Canada. For my money, Craig was the player who had the biggest impact for Canadian Soccer (excluding the '86 team which played on the World Stage).

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ah Pat Onstad...another Point Grey product :) Played with him as kids and he was great.

I'm surprised Mr Base has not popped up in here!

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Was lucky enough to play alongside Craig Forrest on the first ever Metro-Ford team before he went off to Ipswich to play. He didn't get in any games with us as left before the season in England. We thought we had a pretty big hole to fill and didn't know where to turn. His replacement for us that year?

Pat Onstad.:wa:

Two of the "most talented" keepers to ever play in Canada. For my money, Craig was the player who had the biggest impact for Canadian Soccer (excluding the '86 team which played on the World Stage).

Keepers on the other hand do not count...for god's sake all they do is stand there most of the game!!! :wa:

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do local guys that went to the 86ers at 17 years old, started, and spent 13 or so years there and broke a lot of 86ers/Whitecaps records deserve mention here I wonder?

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Do local guys that went to the 86ers at 17 years old, started, and spent 13 or so years there and broke a lot of 86ers/Whitecaps records deserve mention here I wonder?

Only if Bronco approves MP...run it by him first. Also, weigh your nomination carefully, you wouldn't want to get shite kicked like me.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The best five locally for me in no particularly order who played in the VMSL ........BTW, CJ has skill with that ball that I wish I had over the years. We have to remember though that the players mentioned all have their individual strengths......

1)Chris Cheuden - UNBELIVABLE talent.....could win games on his own
2)Jim Easton - the guy is the only Canadian EVER to look like a Brazilian when he played
3) Peter Stipancik - I only played against him at the end of his career. I'm glad I didn't play against him when he was any younger.
4) Bobby Rosalind - Of all the players I hated playing against.....it was Bobby. He could kick the fcuk out of you AND meg you on the same play.
5)Rob Reed - There was no one better in the air and when he wasn't getting drunk on UBC trips and lying on luggage carousels at the Airport, he was an outstanding striker. And he liked the Side Door.....Kit's Pub......The Pit......Holidays........

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0