Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

With a heavy heart...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It just breaks my heart to hear this very sad news. I had the opportunity to play against Kevin way back in the early 90's when he was still at Selkirk College, and he took that team and carried it on his back, giving his all for all 90 minutes of every game. I then was able to play with and against Kevin all through the 90's, I was most happy when he was on my team, because he would give you fits all game long, every time going in clean and shaking you hand after the tackle.

He was a great team guy, and you just hope that guys you play with could have half the heart that he had on the pitch.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends as a great man is no longer with us.

Sincere Condolences
Chris Johnson

oor wullie

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
It very sad news to hear that Kevin Hearne has left us...my family prays for yours.

Sean, Dianna and Aynslee Sneddon

Red Dragon

Oct 23, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had the honor of playing with Kevin and as tenacious and as tough a player as he was on the field, he was always about fair play. I've never heard a bad word against him and never wanted to go into a 50/50 tackle with the big "softy".

Off the field, you cannot find a more humble and considerate person in the world. Someone, who put family and friends first, and everything else was a close second.

My condolences go out to Kevin's family, the Rovers and the many friends who have had the honor of meeting and being a part of Kevin's life. Kevin being a part of our lives has made us all better people. Kev, we'll miss you...

Markus Haab

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Quite frankly, there are very few people you can say are of the highest quality. Kevin was of the highest quality. All you have to do is talk to him for just a few minutes and you will recognize this. I remember hearing of Kevin and his reputation on the pitch when he first ventured into the lower mainland 15 years ago. Before I first played against him, I had a preconceived idea that this guy was probably a dirty, unsportsmanlike player. MAN, WAS I WRONG!! Kevin epitomized that an athlete can compete in the fiercest manner while being a true sportsman. Kevin was the cleanest player I played against. He was also the toughest. His soft-spoken intellectual nature seemd a stark contrast to his physical characteristics which depicted a true physical specimen of a man. His gaze was intimidating but his words were not.

I had a great talk with him in Vernon two months ago and am glad I did. It was a conversation that will leave me with the memories that are so consistent with his character; intelligent, sensitive, considerate, modest, and respectful. He respected others and I certainly hope he realized that he got it back ten-fold.

Please accept my condolences to the Hearne family from my family.

Spiro Pegios

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Very, very sad news. I just can't believe it.

Kevin was the ultimate player of our little soccer community during my soccer career - he could do it all and was as tough as they come on the pitch. Off of it, he was absolute class. I joked with him over a few cold ones in a beer garden one day about how we all picked the wrong sport and that if he'd played hockey he'd be in the NHL. Always the realist, he laughed, shook his head and said “I think you need to know how to skate to be in the NHL." A really great guy. He’ll truly be missed!

Sincere Condolences
The Jones family

rickshaw

Mar 12, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had the pleasure of playing with Kevin last year for Summerland Football Club. Watching him play made me glad to be on his team. Tough as nails on the pitch, a gentleman off of it.

He was a great guy and he did a lot for his community and kids. I met his family once and I feel for them. As a father hearing news like this, literally breaks my heart.

Rick Sewell

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Funeral Service

11:00 AM, Friday, July 14

Salmo Community Centre (the old Salmo High School)

Salmo, BC

(the Kootneys)

Its easy to find, if lost, ask anyone in the region.

animal

Aug 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Absolutley shocked when I herd the news. Kevin was as nice as they come off the pitchand on it you had better be ready to play if you were on the other team. Some of my best games have come against Kevin, when I would warm up and see him on the other team I just knew that I had to be on my best.

All the best to the Hearns family.

Mike Frank

utah

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Had a game in Abby tonight so I thought I would stop by the spot where the accident happened. I drive that stretch of road every night and just couldn't picture how this could of happened.
As it turned out it was the only spot along there that has an embankment. Five seconds either side of that everything would of ended up just fine. Very sad indeed.

Mounsey

Jul 11, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
We are a soccer family and found Kevin to be as great a person as all you have stated. It is very sad that Kevin will no longer be with us.

Walt

Apr 29, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I played against Kevin for 3 years in the pcsl he was the best player i have played against. My condolences go out to his family especially his wife and 3 kids. Everyone from Victoria United send there thoughts and prayers.

Kellen Holden

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I always sit and wonder why things like this happen but can't and will never understand it for the life of me.

It's a shame that always the good seem to leave us before their time..Kevin was truly one of those good guys, I had the pleasure of playing with him in the Italian league and all I can say is "THANK YOU"

My sincerest and heartfelt condolences goes out to his wife and his children.

Tony Mobilio

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the Penticton Herald.ca

Hearne's loss hits Pinnacles' players hard
By David Crompton
Monday, July 10, 2006

There was shock. There was disbelief. And above all, there was sadness. When the Penticton Pinnacles players learned their coach and teammate Kevin Hearne had died in an early morning car crash on Sunday, the tragedy hit the team like a hammer blow.

Neil MacDonald, a 30-year-old defender who played with or against Hearne since he was 16, said the loss is nothing short of a tragedy.“This man was so incredibly respected and such an inspiration for soccer, not just in Penticton, but all over B.C.,” said MacDonald.“He was a mentor to so many young players and a great, great human being. This is just a huge, huge loss.”
As a player, Hearne played every position but goalkeeper and was well known for his fearless and uncompromising play. “I remember in the final of a tournament in Vancouver he split his head wide open on the crossbar, then he went to the bench and used tape to close the wound and wrapped some gauze around his head. He came back on and his team won the game in overtime,” MacDonald recalled.

Striker Paul Raposo said the Pinnacles were “dismal” before Hearne arrived on the scene, fighting as much among each other as with their opponents.“When Kevin Hearne came here, he brought heart, he brought a presence to the Pinnacles we so desperately needed,” stressed Raposo.“He was a guy we could always count on, on and off the field. Every single guy on this team, especially all the young guys, improved ten-fold since he got here.” Hearne played with the Pinnacles for one season before becoming the player-coach at the start of the 2005 season. “He was a player, he was a coach, he was a great friend,” said James Vasquez, one of the many youngsters Hearne put his faith in. “Kevin was always so positive, always trying to help you get better.”
Vasquez stressed it’s all about faith, and “in my religion, he’s going to heaven. “All we have now are the memories, and they’re all good ones. It was just great we had these last two road trips together with Kevin.”

Twenty-year-old Aldon Bunjaku said Hearne, along with Borba and Hintz, was the best coach he ever had. “I learned a lot and improved so much under Kevin … he was such a stand-up guy, he’d let you know right away if there was something you could do better,” said Bunjaku. “He was just such a great coach for all the young guys.”

Raposo suggested it will be hard to find another coach like Hearne. MacDonald said it will be impossible. “He was one of a kind. He was the ultimate players’ coach,” said MacDonald. The Pinnacles plan to meet on Tuesday for a light practice and to decide what to do about the rest of the season, which – excluding the Khalsa game – has two games remaining. “I don’t think there is any doubt Kevin would want us to play it out,” said MacDonald. Added Raposo: “We need to dedicate the rest of the season to Kevin and honour his memory at our last home game. I’m sure we’ll decide to keep playing.”

Borba said he believes the funeral services will be held in Salmo.

Hearne’s post-secondary soccer career started in 1989 at Selkirk College and he was named to the BCCAA provincial men’s first all-star team in 1990/91.He attended UBC from 1991 to 1994 and the highlight of his splendid career there included being named most valuable player as the T-Birds won the Canadian championship in the 1992/93 season.Hearne has starred in the Vancouver Metro Soccer League and PCSL since 1992/93, earning numerous individual and team honours, mainly with Sapperton. He also served as a player-coach with Sapperton and coached numerous youth and school teams, while also operating his own soccer school in the Lower Mainland and the Kootenays from 1996 until 2005.

© Monday, July 10, 2006Copyright PentictonHerald.ca

highlander

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As many on here i am in shock,Kevin was a friend a roomate and a team mate.
I was talking with him at a game in bellingham two weeks ago,catching up on life and family .
I will miss the tenacity and willingness to go all out while on the pitch ,but be the gentle giant off the park.
My thoughts and prayers are with Poppy and the family .
Bill and Michelle Muirhead and the kids.
Rest in peace Kev.

gomesy_jr

Aug 14, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is terrible news. From what i know about him through the few times we met on and off the field, he was a truly great man. My deepest sympathies go out to all his family and friends. On behalf of the Sporting Club of Vancouver, our sincere condolences.

Mike and Mark Gomes

MeatBag

May 27, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Youth of Soccer in the South Okanagan owes so much to Kevin Hearne.

There is not enough room on any webpage post, or press release to contain it all.

The man was simply "our foundation".

His vision was of a Club that could encompass all the great values that the game of soccer promises.

His influence on elite through recreational player was honest and always with kindness and support.

All a player asks for.

He understood that the game, at it's core, is about the people around it.

His vision of what our Association could be, inspired all of us.

With Kevin, we were always going to be a leader in player development, and a leader in building bridges across all levels of our game, all regions of our great province, and all the great cultures that make up our community.

He would want us to continue this priceless gift.

We at SOYSA will honor that vision.
Kevin would expect no less.

Posted for SOYSA

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Deepest condolences to the Hearne family... I was fortunate to share the same pitch as Hearnsy in the VMSL and PCSL and must say he was as classy on it as he was off it... I'll never forget the time at the Kelowna soccer dance when G told him he was putting together an 'all mullet' team and wanted him to be the captain... Hearnsy (with folded arms standing at the back of the hall) just broke a smile and said sure.

RIP Bigman, JC

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sorry if I've missed it but was wondering if there will be any memorial service in the Vancouver area? I think there are a lot of people, myself included, who will be unable to attend on Friday in Salmo and Kevin had a major impact in our local soccer community.

As well, I would also like to learn more details about the trust fund for Kevin's family that Brian Donald has started. This is a fantastic idea.

Thanks,
Reedie

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Trust Fund:

Cheques Payable to:

Penticton Soccer Club
c/o Hearne Family Trust

550 Eckhardt Ave.
Penticton, BC
V2A 2B5

The executive at PSC are great people. They have done so much in the last 3 days to help out Kevin's family. I cannot say enough about the support they have given all of us.

I have been given the honour of coaching the Penticton Pinnicles in their final 2 league games. I hope to make my friend proud.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0