Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vmsl Vs Fvsl

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ranger,

You're spot on with the comments about execs. Obviously everybody plays the game to compete on a weekly basis and play at the highest level possible. I think this is what most people are looking for in a competitive amature league. That being said, the things that often ruin the playing experience are executive politics, shoddy playing fields and dodgy officiating.

Officiating is really out of any league's control - they don't train refs and linesmen. They just hire them. Although the VMSL did set a new (low) standard this season with Jason Jordan's overturned red card. Which, from what I understand, was a reversal of a referee's call on a intentional hand-ball. Details are sketchy on this one, other than the fact that a week after getting sent off, he was back on the pitch.

Playing fields are a much bigger concern in Vancouver than in the Valley. There's a lack of quality grass fields. This, combined with the torrential winter downpour, creates field closures and several postponed games. This is why you see such a big push for more fieldturf complexes like the one at Burnaby Lake. Again, basically out of the league's control, but perhaps a motion could be made to cut down the amount of teams? And I mean in all divisions. I hear horror stories about div.2 and div.3 teams playing on potholed landfills with no lines. You obviouly don't want to turn away teams (which means turning away revenue), but at what point do you get too big for your britches? When you can't supply enough decent fields for your members to play on, perhaps a little contraction, a la Bud Selig, is in order.

Executive politics are the big problem. I don't know how things work in the Valley, but several of the VMSL execs have extremely close ties to some of the clubs participating in the premiership and first division. It's a huge conflict of interest.

Regs probably could add more to this area of debate as he knows full well now the VMSL likes to keep its members in the dark. Often seems as though the board has something to hide.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
..and now, to deal with Wevers

WAB,

Your TTP style is similar to what you bring to the pitch....always looking to get stuck in, often missing the target. I won't even start about controlling a goalkick.

Thanks for re-confirming my earlier statement that college soccer sucks. The reason it is such a good league to play in, despite a general lack of overall talent, is largely due to how well run it is. This is sort of the segue (look it up) I was making to the VMSL v. FVSL argument - that a successful league comes down to more than the quality of the players registered with it.

How many VMSL ckoc-ups can you recall happening during the past year? The league overturning JJ's red card for no apparent reason? The promotion fiasco between Sporting and AC Milan, which didn't get resolved until June? It's a pretty sad testament to the VMSL "powers that be" when your own constitution comes back to bite you in the arse.

I'm sure you've experienced your own run-ins with the league execs. Hasn't everybody?

And, just so you can fill out your personal records, the last time I suited up for something other than Sunday mass was in our last game of the year, vs. Inter. I also played in net against Croatia a week earlier, which we lost, 1-0. It was okay, though, because Croatia are the best team in the league*.

Thanks for caring,
-Sensei.

*it should be noted that Croatia did lose a couple of cup games this year, thus taking something away from this claim

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0