Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Vmsl Vs Fvsl

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Nope.

The fact is, I'm perfectly happy with my club and my team. We train hard, drink a lot of beer together, and compete hard on Sunday. The club treats us well, and it has a lot to offer as far as coaching once I decide to hang em' up. I turned down an opportunity to play for Romania in '98 (good thing...they really stunk it up in Premier) to come back to the FVSL and it's been a blast ever since. Surrey United is a great club with a great shot this year, but no, I wouldn't leave my team. The bond is too tight, and we have too much fun sticking together. We're probably following more in the footsteps of the Rangers than anything else (hopefully!).

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
DWMC

You were right about a team from the Valley going to win it all soon, too bad we play in the best ameature league in the country the VMSL... (as you would attest to)... I also agree that Sheep Shagger is your Village Idiot... however, you call Surrey United a great club, but would rather stick with your mob over a chance to win it all? I think that may be some lip service on your part, but if in fact you are following in the footsteps of the Rangers then my hat goes off to ya, there a great team/great lads...

attheendofthedayVMSLhascontinuallywontheBCchampionships:cool:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's the idea

Guinness: no lip service. A few of us have a vision for the club, and we're going to keep at it. I've personally had offers to move on to other higher calliber teams (including from your FVSL Premier team), as have other from our team and club. We're only in year one of the plan. Keep a core group together, and grow together. We don't take on gypsies who whore themselves out to teams without committing to the program or the boys.

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I love you guys.......

Dude, Guinness, you're Gentlemen, Scholars, and there's very few left of us.

I swear to god I'm gonna cry.:(

PS - Belfast United, if you qualify for the BCs - you got a chance Baby!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ranger thru and thru

You're right on that one (it wasn't a VMSL team), but you'll need to take that up with Robert A.K.A. Regs... it was Surrey FC Pegasus that lost to those twats... in the PCSL we beat them (same players different team name and league) in the Challenge Cup Final... ask a few of the Rangers lads that were in the beer garden on that day... those fcuks were soo ****ey after winning the BC's we had to beat them... however it could never match a BC Title...

PS. when was it the last time a Valley team one the BC's???;)

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
WW1 and WW2

I think we went over this before, becasue the deja vu is kicking me in the heed.

The last time a Valley team won the B.C.'s was during WW1 and WW2 when all the players from the city were sent off to Europe and the farmers of the Fraser Valley were able to compete in and win the B.C.'s.

These same valley teams have not won since, even though they hoped the city boys would get shiped over to Afganistan to fight against Terror, so the Valley would once again have a shot at the B.C.'s.

HOS:p

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cocco is everywhere

Cocco,

You've been sniffing the paint for the Burnaby roads' centre-lines again haven't you?

Go lie down.

~TB.

Aug 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
vmsl or fvsl

The surrey teams have gotten better over the last number of years, but the vmsl has alot more good teams. Surrey only has a couple of good teams that can compete with vmsl teams. I have played in the fvsl, granted it was a few years ago, and the calibre of players then was shocking, most just wanted to run you over or fight, but i have seen a change in some surrey teams, they do have skill and ability now. I know a couple of surrey coaches and in their day they where good players, and they now are picking some good players to play on their teams, and they have alot more young talent to choose from, not only from surrey but langley and cloverdale. But i think it will be a couple of years before a fvsl(surrey team ) will beat a vmsl team in the bc's.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: WW1 and WW2

Originally posted by Hands of Stone
I think we went over this before, becasue the deja vu is kicking me in the heed.

The last time a Valley team won the B.C.'s was during WW1 and WW2 when all the players from the city were sent off to Europe and the farmers of the Fraser Valley were able to compete in and win the B.C.'s.

These same valley teams have not won since, even though they hoped the city boys would get shiped over to Afganistan to fight against Terror, so the Valley would once again have a shot at the B.C.'s.

That was funny the first time, but kind of lame the second time. Sort of like Michael Richards trying to revive his "Karmer" character on another sitcom other than Seinfeld.

I can really see Regs- or any other Vancouver / Burnaby boy- putting down their lattes and leaving the engaging conversation of the local Starbucks to go help out the real men in any war. Actually, maybe you could fight your own brand of terrorism by opening up a Starbucks on an Afghan corner in a sign of pure Western Capitalism. Don't forget to grow your beard! :p

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude

You have a ton of valid points about the valley getting better and producing some quality players but until a valley team wins the cup,it's tough to state your case.Surrey United is the only valley team that has a legitimate shot but they play in the VMSL.I havent been out to see many valley teams play but i find it tough to take you boys seriously when year in and year out,I never see a valley team in the CUP final.:confused:

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Jimmy

Jimmy,

I was hoping you'd say my most valid point was my last post.:D

Hey, I never once have said that the VMSL Premier league isn't the best amateur soccer league in this country. Having played in the VMSL, I can tell you that the difference isn't that huge. As I've stated before, I used to hold the same contemptuous attitude most VMSL guys hold towards the FVSL. When I left the FVSL years ago, it was a goon show. When I came back, the level of play had improved significantly. I don't know exactly why...probably a combo of the club systems keeping the good, young players in the Valley, the league cracking down on discipline (our fine system is quite punishing), and older VMSL guys coming back. You're absolutely correct that a FVSL team needs to make a run to prove the league as legit...I'm just here to say it will happen sooner than most of the VMSL guys think.

BTW: great post.;)

Jimmy Holiday

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's all good

Dude

I think your right in saying that it will happen sooner or later,who woulda thunk the Gorge taking it last year,upset cuz they beat 1-0 in the quarters(hate playing at Royal Athletic):mad: This argument(of what league is better) will never be resolved.......so as a VMSL lad I say,JUST BRING IT BABY:p

As for your last post,it was good but how do you expect Regs to grow a beard when he cant grow any on his head;) (I can bug him cuz baldness runs in my family also)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Xmas bash...ing

Fcuk me, I'm getting slaughtered today.

~TBtakingnotesjustitchingtogethometoniteandsearchhispicturearchives...

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: It's all good

Originally posted by Jimmy Holiday
As for your last post,it was good but how do you expect Regs to grow a beard when he cant grow any on his head;) (I can bug him cuz baldness runs in my family also)

I don't know, Rogaine????

Maybe if he rubbed mushroom manure all over his pate it would help. It seems to work pretty well out here in Cloverdale...but of course, that's for growing corn stock.

Perhaps "I Love Sheep" would be willing to donate part of his lady’s coat?

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dude

You again have made some valid points, so the only question I have for you is "why do soo many Valley lads play in the Metro League"... if there is not much of a caliper jump then why not stay at home and play in the FVSL???
my honest opinion is that the Metro League is strong through the top 8-10 teams... in the FVSL it becomes much more watered down after 3-4 top teams... that is why I am fighting for a starting spot (every week) on a good VMSL team rather than being content to just enjoy where I was at... it's a battle every weekend and the challenge of such a battle makes all the difference in the world... to me that is a big enough jump in standard of play...

GuinnessisinnowayclaimingthattheFVSLismingin';)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Easy there daft one

I think you're missing my point, and I agree with yours. My argument all along has been that parity is getting closer and closer every year. Your assessment of the top teams is pretty much spot on. There will always be players who'll choose to leave one league for the other; many to try-out for a high caliber VMSL team and hopefully get a roster spot. Also, you simply have proven there are a lot of good players in the Valley, otherwise they wouldn't be taking away spots from Vancouver boys!

Many of the younger guys are opting to stay and build in the FVSL. That doesn't mean competition for playing time isn't there, as many of the starting jobs are held by established vets (Rangers, PA, and Dominion are almost exclusively OLD!) Next year, you'll probably see 5 strong teams instead of only 3. Everyone wants to win, but as many can attest, the strongest teams are the ones that have kept a core nucleus together, and have upgraded accordingly each season where needed. This is the trend we're seeing now: teams like the Rangers and Dominion who have kept a core group intact, but do make upgrades every year, then other teams like Delta who have simply made it worthwhile for the youth to stay on board. In 2-3 years, that Delta squad will be a force for the BC's. If our club makes the right decisions, so will our Premier squad (hopefully).

Anyhow...I hear all y'all, I just take extreme exception to anyone who calls the league and players crap. The VMSL Cat 2 and 3rd divs have enough of their own that goes unmentioned.

Have a good weekend ol' daft one!

knowone

Aug 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
no comparison

any ttp'ers who waste their time attempting to plead
their case that footie in the valley compares to footie in couver
are totally off their stroodel. having played in the top div of both
leagues and as an avid spectator of the beau game it is obvious
to me where the better footie is being played. maybe a decade ago a point could be made for the valley, but now the speed
and style of the game doesn't hold a candle to the vmsl!

making the step across the river makes a huge difference.
not to downtalk the valley, it is a good breeding ground for those
who don't have the time or ambition to travel to play

valleygoodvancouverbetternoquestion:p

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts