Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

VMSL rumours and various scuttlebutt

Burnro

Jul 10, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
26 Game Season for the Premier league (play everyone twice)
League kicks off at a neutral site for all teams (except Serbia - away) during the Labour Day weekend (2 games each team)
Sapperton will be playing a few home games in PoCo

Sorry WAB, didn't see your post as I was typing mine...;).

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 2010/11 VMSL Premier division will consist of one group of 14 teams. Hopes are for a season-opening tournament on the Labour Day weekend so that two of the extra four league games could be completed in one weekend for each team...teams would play either Friday-Sunday or Saturday-Monday...idea is to have one complex host all games over the 4-days with beer garden and concessions/bbq...could be a fantastic way to start the season and provide great exposure for the VMSL...more to follow...

I think it's a fantastic idea - all games at one park, side by side.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it's a fantastic idea - all games at one park, side by side.

That is a great Idea !

Who thought of that? cause that deserves a pat on the back.

Only concern is players away for the long weekend and ...maybe Injuries, 2 games in a weekend might be a little to much for some of the guys just getting back into shape...

Still, Ill be there watchin.

What a great way to start off the season.

defector

Nov 29, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I hope we can play those games on grass.... What parks would be available? there are usually a few youth tournaments going on during labor day...

Gomesy16

Oct 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's a great idea.

Most teams use to partake in a Labour Day Weekend tournament, so the injury thing is moot. Two games is easier than a full tournament schedule of games.

I wonder what facility it will be scheduled at. I hope it's at Burnaby Lake grass fields which would be like the old Burnaby Canadians tourney, or John Oliver in Delta. This weekend should be played on natural grass and not turf.

Great to see the VMSL taking some strides forward instead of staus-quo.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is a great Idea !

Who thought of that? cause that deserves a pat on the back.

Only concern is players away for the long weekend and ...maybe Injuries, 2 games in a weekend might be a little to much for some of the guys just getting back into shape...

Still, Ill be there watchin.

What a great way to start off the season.
You're a donut, that is exactly what "we all" talked about at the FVSL Premier meeting 4 months ago after the BCPL fell apart. Remember? FFS, did you let the cat out of the bag?

loose lips sink ships... or ruin great idea's.

oranje

Nov 12, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
This was discussed by the representatives of the VMSL Premier league after various meetings, e.g. BCPL meetings, VMSL AGM, and most recently yesterday. It easily goes back 6 months or so.

My recollection is that the idea originally came up as a way to try and reduce travel if there was a BCPL by knocking a couple of games off right away and also as a way to raise funds.

The idea came back as a way to deal with scheduling 4 additional games this year. This allows the league to knock off 2 games right at the beginning of the year.

The one positive to emerge from the BCPL debacle was that the VMSL Premier teams began to talk to each other and brainstorm about bettering the game.

It is nice that the league is now receptive to working with us.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, fair enough... it's a good idea no matter who came up with it or uses it. As long as teams can get over it being on the long weekend I think it'll be a hit with everyone.

robj

Lifetime Better Bastard
Nov 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The suggestion at the meeting came from Craig Burnham. The original idea came from I believe Millar through a meeting or email correspondance. Regardless I think it's a great idea and I am in the process of trying to get JO. It's pretty central, three grass pitches, lots of parking, concession stand, no houses in the area which = no complaints from neighbors.

It just makes sense!

club_i_champ

Dec 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Brilliant idea, should make for some great atmosphere to kick off the season! I also agree with Gomesy16 that playing the games on grass is the way to go.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No games should be played on the Monday - it's reasonable so people don't have to worry about jobs or school "the next day".

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
This idea came up on TTP 3 or 4 years ago when the league still had 14 teams and the 2 sides of 7 didn't go over well with a lot of Premier clubs. "Too many games, not enough time.", they said. It was suggested as a way to get all the games in back then. Only now has it been embraced.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back-Stabbing Rumours

At the Nations Cup, one player-coach in particular has been spreading rumours that the Sapperton/PoCo agreement is in shambles and falling apart. This person is saying these things (to committed Sapperton players, no less) to promote players to his team that is, in fact, losing many players and is in shambles themselves.
Needless to say, Sapperton is in great shape going into the season. Directors and club positions were voted in this last weekend and the club is on rock solid ground. We have the best youth club behind us in Burnaby Selects forming our U21 team. Our coaching staffs are set and the managers and trainers are all returning for the 17th year in a row. We may not be the best Premier team this year, but we are one of the best organized clubs around.

gilly

Sep 12, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can confirm that newly promoted to VMSL Premier, Akal FC, has hired India's Nations Cup coach, Bindi Braich. Hopefully, Bindi can persuade some of that young talent that did ever so well this weekend at the Nations Cup to come play. It would be outstanding if he could bring over the entire team and play under the banner India FC! Just a thought.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I can confirm that newly promoted to VMSL Premier, Akal FC, has hired India's Nations Cup coach, Bindi Braich. Hopefully, Bindi can persuade some of that young talent that did ever so well this weekend at the Nations Cup to come play. It would be outstanding if he could bring over the entire team and play under the banner India FC! Just a thought.

Dreaming - it would never happen. Besides, this is the VMSL you're talking about. That team would have a tough time grinding out 26 games.
AKAL owes Sapp an exhibition game and field to go with it this pre-season. Call me.

reedie

Sep 20, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Or maybe all the players will come over to ICST Pegasus. Just another thought. :knvb:

star #1

Aug 8, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money

youll would have better luck getting the fundamentalists and moderates to run a joint temple before you get that... :D:knvb:

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0