Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Division 2] Predictions, Results & Banter, Dec-Jan, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gn,Yaletown and Bombastic all have tough matchups this weekend. If Lomas have a few of those who missed our recent matchup show up to play, GN could be in for a surprise. Yaletown and Bombastic could also be in for a difficult test.

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're hoping to give Bombastic a better game than the last we played against them (4-0 spanking by them). It takes a lot of skill (and luck) to go 18-0 in any division ... will Bombastic get there this year??? They're a well organized bunch with a great system in place, but I've seen better skilled teams in the past. Hopefully we'll get some players out this weekend who will give a good challenge.

bandcamp

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Really looking forward to the Bombastic game and Teelay is right...it's tough enough to win promotion but to go unblemished is very hard to do. Our first game against Bombastic was back when we were still struggling with all of the new bodies on our team. Since then we've played like a team and I expect a fairly even tilt.

Kudos to BFC though as their record is excellent and they play a very organized game without a super high skill level (not a bash on them but other teams in our div have a bit more skill but lack the game-plan/discipline/fitness etc to get it done). Good baclkline and they can put the puck in the net...fit as well. They've been working on this club for years and it's paying off. I remember the days when it was an easy 3 points and those days are long gone. Nice work to Austin and Co.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Aryana are not a good team. The worst of the teams we have played all year as i have yet to see the "C" lects. The dive and whine a ton and while they have some good guys they do have a bunch of goofs.

6-1 final. We honestly played shitty with a short bench and missing guys on an extremely quick pitch last night. It was wet and a lot of passes were overcooked and hit to hard and anything not on the ground skipped into you and was tough to control. They started and finished with og's but if no touch happens on either of them they were in anyway. Their goal was deflected in and gave our keeper no chance. A bunch of dives and guys down to stop the game, with my personal fav being when their guy goes down and they have ball near hglf. a pass or 2 later and they are near the 18 shooting, shot blocked , we get the ball and now they call for ball to go out. Umm guys, you want i out when you don't have the ball but when you have it game on. Well Done!

Being called a racist team was awesome too. We have 2 brown guys and 2 black guys starting. That's us allright. Team White Supremacy. Unbelievable.

They had a guy come on after getting a yellow for beaking on the sideline. The ref gives him a ton of chances to calm down and he finally throws a bow to the head of our forward after he shoots. Tweet! pk, Red. Cheers lad. The guy, after the game, is puking is guts out in the bathrooms and then rolls into the landing and arts to eye a few of our guys up. Starts calling one of our guys a little shite in the pub. Luckily, he just laughd at the guy but if he had piped up to a few other guys it could have got bad. Apparently a bunch of them were in the 'ding before the game playing pool among other things. They should have stayed there.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
To his credit, he was there one player without a toque, gloves or tights.

Normally we give those guys the gears but when you tell a guy he's got toques and there is 3 of them within 10 yards that doesn't work well.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
To his credit, he was there one player without a toque, gloves or tights.

Normally we give those guys the gears but when you tell a guy he's got toques and there is 3 of them within 10 yards that doesn't work well.
It's probably good we played you guys so early in the season, before any of those accessories were brought out, since we probably have more toques, tights, and gloves on the pitch than most sides. I know it pains Ballkicker and the rest of our Anglo-Canadian contingent to see their teammates wearing arctic expedition gear, but what can you do in times where even the England manager is standing on the sidelines with an umbrella?

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll never understand the tights, toques and gloves on a soccer field. If it's above 0C and you're running around after a soccer ball, there should be no need for that crap.

As for today's game, PGR 0 - Bombastic 0

Like last week we again had a very short bench, Bombastic took the play to us, especially in the 1st half where we even started with a 4-3-3 in order to try and generate an early goal. Bad idea - they completely dominated us in midfield and had a couple of very nice chances. It seemed that most of their chances came from their little outside left half who has a couple of nice moves and a decent shot. We were lucky to go into the half with a tie. Our only chance came on a free kick that was tipped over the bar by their keeper.

2nd half was a lot better for us. We adjusted our lineup to play a more conventional 4-4-2 which helped in the midfield. Bombastic kept coming, but we really limited them in chances. A couple of headers off corner kicks that were pushed away/ saved, and then a glorious chance by them with 2 mins to go on a muffed kick by one of our outside defenders. Their little guy was in clear and missed the far post. We had a couple of pretty nice chances too that the keeper did well to save.

All in all, we're reasonably happy with the result - given the personel we had available to us, a 0-0 tie was decent. Taking 4 out of 6 points against the top 2 teams in our division the last 2 weeks is definitely a good feeling. Bombastic seem like a good bunch of guys - they weren't too happy to have their record blemished, but it would have been difficult to go 18-0 this year anyways.

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'll never understand the tights, toques and gloves on a soccer field. If it's above 0C and you're running around after a soccer ball, there should be no need for that crap.
I can't argue with that, but the operative word in your statement is "running". Those of us who don't actually run, but don't yet have enough back fat to keep us warm while walking, occasionally need an extra layer :D

BallKicker

Nov 21, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I know it pains Ballkicker and the rest of our Anglo-Canadian contingent to see their teammates wearing arctic expedition gear, but what can you do in times where even the England manager is standing on the sidelines with an umbrella?
Bunch o' Nancy boys they are..... you should see our training sessions. it's like we're all going to climb a mountain or something. That excludes yours truly of course, I'd be the one who'd freeze to death due to lack of clothing and get eaten by the others along the way.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Knight show up with 13 only to have the Roos play with 10 on our home opener. Hillcrest was in remarkably good shape considering the recent monsoons. Two for the Rattler paved the way to a 6-0 drubbing. A nice finish by Bartey, who surely has the league record for goals per minutes played in one season. 2 goals in about 30 minutes played. Thanks to Stu for bringing out the fine Scotch to celebrate the birth of his girl and for his spotter. Quality minutes, okay seconds, on both occasions Stuart. Definitely a nice way to go into the winter break. Any chance on a winter break Bonefish rankings edition Winston??? Second division's senior squad enter the winter break hoping for extra apple crisp for Christmas to keep the Knights in the race for first. Smoke and mirrors baby...

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
6-0 should be good for something...I will have some numbers on Sun/Monday.

Yaletown 4-1 Norvan. Again, the score does indicate the game. We started the game with 10 and went down to 9 about 20min in. Yaletown broke the ice to get the first goal but we equalized shortly after. Playing with 9 however, we had to fold the troops and play a mostly defensive game that worked until about 70min when we failed to pickup "you know who". 2-1 we are still playing ok and with had a couple of breakouts that could have been something but pushing to equalize again led to some more breakdowns and we gave up a couple more. Yaletown also had a goal called back that probably should have stood. Good effort by the boys in blue but we were foiled by lack of numbers once again. The broken leg suffered by our keeper and a red card in the Monday game were a tough break but the upcoming time offf should allow us to fill in the blanks to finish the season with 11 players each outing. I am just glad I survived as the Flu hit me just last Thursday and I am still coughing up some scary looking shite. After a dizzy spell late in the game out on the wing I had to switch positions with our keeper(backup to a backup...) just in time for a little onslaught. :D

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yaletown 4-1 Norvan. Again, the score does indicate the game. We started the game with 10 and went down to 9 about 20min in. Yaletown broke the ice to get the first goal but we equalized shortly after. Playing with 9 however, we had to fold the troops and play a mostly defensive game that worked until about 70min when we failed to pickup "you know who".
Incredible performance from Norvan this evening with 10/9 men and no real keeper. Our lads were all extremely impressed. The official may have helped their cause a bit, but it would've been full credit to the JB's if they had taken something from the match. Frustration was really beginning to set in for us with about 20 to go and the score all knotted up, when a great through-ball by our just-introduced Brazilian led to the go-ahead goal. Things went back and forth after that, and Bonefish had the save of the season to keep the deficit at one. A couple of minutes later, another looping effort that Bonefish very nearly kept out with a kicksave sealed the game (do you play much hockey?). The fourth was a brilliant free kick into the top corner from our Brazilian, although he usually sends those high into the night sky.
It was good to play again after three weeks off, and especially nice to be back on turf. I hope Norvan are able to get their squad together and finish the season strong, since they are a classy side and always fun to play. This was our fourth clash, and the alltime record is 2-2 now, so we'll have to have the tiebreaker next year or in the cup, hopefully with 22 men on the pitch.

steve a.

Not Bright
Jun 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
As the Dr stated earlier

Westside Knights 6 Socceroos 0

I can feel for the Socceroos on this one as our first 4 games of the season proved difficult for us having to try and put 11 players on the field for the whole game. However the game must go on and it did with us winning by the afformentioned score. It was good to finally play on our home pitch (Dec 15th ) for the first time all year as the field was in good condition. The ball sat well for both squads as this pitch has nowhere near the amount of bumps , dips , and hills that Old Trafford (Montgommery Centre field ) had. Into the break we go with nothing but apple crisp on my wish list as our season continues .

cheers , the rattler

Kahms

Jul 31, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
does anyone know how many teams are moving in and out of division two at the end of the season?

thanks!

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
does anyone know how many teams are moving in and out of division two at the end of the season?

thanks!
Two move up, and four come down from Div. 1. There will be a playoff between the three group winners.
There may be a massive reshuffle of Divs. 2 and 3, so I'm not sure how many are moving between those two. Dezza probably has more accurate and up-to-date info...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Actually I don't know anymore than the rest of you... unless something was worked out in the pre-season meeting that established that there would be 3 groups of 10 this year instead of that horrific 2 groups of 15 that the league originally proposed, I don't think a decision was ever made...

Assuming Div 2 sticks with 3 groups of 10 next year, then the most likely scenario is
3 down to div 3 and 1 coming up

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
i think the idea is to eventually go to 20 in div 2 and 20 in div 3.

i believe it will be brought up this summer at the agm and div 2 will get a seperate meeting like last year where it can be agreed to drop into 2 groups of 20. That would make div 2 way stronger than it is now as there would be less games that have a result that is never really in doubt.

No indications this is actually the plan but someone on the realignment committee said this was the eventual plan. The league was going to do it over a number of years to make it more palatable for the teams. It was brought up at the agm meeting this year but was quickly quitened down into a 2nd meeting for div 2 to happen later in the year.

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Div 2 is already a lot stronger than it was a couple of years ago. There are only a few teams that can be counted on for a sure win, so reducing it to 2 groups of 10 would definitely make it even stronger. It's definitely the way to go.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I wonder what that divisional format would do to the amount of games played? Thinking of all the poor saps not playing beach soccer with the locals here in Puerta Vallarta. 30 degrees with a nice cool breeze. Winner buys the first round. Feliz Navidad por todo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0