Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL Division 2] Predictions, Results & Banter, Dec-Jan, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
New Month New Thread.
With only 2 weekends left before the break, weather is going to curtail football in the Rainforest also known as the lower mainland but there still should be a few big games taking place.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Should be some good matchups this weekend provided we play. Friday's Greenies-GN game should be worth a trip out to the burbs. I seriously doubt McBride will be playable on Sunday for our matchup with the Goo Boys

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hopefully we can get at least 1/2 the games done this weekend, hopefully There is enough time for things to dry out so we can get some game in.

Lots better than last year though. That may have alot to do with the abundance of turf fields that are in use now. IT took us a couple of games on grass to get our mucking skills ready to go.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
That is the complete opposite for those of us "mudders"who rarely get to play on turf. The game is usually near completion by the time we start figuring things out. Half the guys do not even own the proper footwear. It often becomes a choice between either 6 studs or runners...

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
We have gotten used to the turf as we play and practice on it even during the summer for the past 2.5 years. Our grass "skills" come from those of us who played at our clubs ancestral home park of South Park. :D It tended to get a tad mucky there.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Does anyone know what the turf is like at Mackie? Is it good quality stuff? Will blades be ok?

haven't been there since an exhibition game there 18 months ago. If i recall correctly i would not wear blades on it as it is only a little bit better than Burnaby Lake.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
It is rather hard at that time of night. Blades might be pushing it a bit. That field gets a lot of use.

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Shaheen 1 - PGR 0

Shaheen came out hard early and dominated us for the first 20 mins, potting a goal at about the 15 minute mark. We then equalled them for the rest of the half, getting a post ourselves and putting some decent pressure on them. 2nd half saw some equal chances with us pushing, opening up the back and them having some chances.

Overall, they are definitely one of the most skilled teams we have played. Maybe not as organized as Bombastic, but definitely skilled. A few cheap players (#11 has it coming to him), but also some good talented players as well. They deserved the win and the scoreline was definitely accurate - a close game. Could have been 2-1 as we had a couple of glorious chances and they had 1 or 2 after their goal as well.

Turf definitely played a factor tonight and we definitely took at least 30 minutes to get used to the bounces and speed on the slick surface. I like playing on it, but it does make for a different kind of soccer. Tough game on Saturday vs DPR. Hopefully we can get a couple of key starters out that we were missing tonight.

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
A tough match up against the always pesky Goo Boys on Sunday. Any word on the condition of McBride at this time of year. As I recall it can be quite a quagmire except for the baseball diamond area. What's the deal 5th Back? I must say that this field was the setting for one of the most memorable all-time best Knights games. Not on the field though...
We filled a five gallon container full of ice, tequila, and margarita mix. Our fans, back when we had fans... had a great time! Most of it was gone by the time the game finished. Guys were trying to get subbed off just to get some before it was all gone. I wonder if # 2 remembers if we won or not.

Teelay

Dec 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PG Rangers 3 - DP Rangers 2

On a day that saw a game on an ice rink, PGR emerged with a victory. Possession was definitely tilted in the favour of Douglas Park, but we did what was necessary to win. Referee was dubious on both sides of the ball... DPR had 2 challenges that were red cards in any league - a two foot studs up retaliatory tackle for an earlier uncalled infraction and a blatant last man back take down. Both fouls were given a yellow which was a very light punishment to say the least. I grazed the ball in the 6 yard box with my hand which was unintentional (as I fell down on the ice rink) and probably wouldn't have led to a goal anyways as I was right on top of it, but DPR was screaming bloody murder. But they did get a PK for a foul that was right on the 18 yard box. I was 2 metres from the infraction and it happened right on the 18 yard box line. Not a PK in my books - a foul, yes, but no PK.

Gutsy win by us in any event. We were missing 7 starters and also had our GK go down with 15 to play. Our backup GK came in without his contacts in (he was injured in street clothes), and did the job for the last 15. To boot our sweeper also pulled up lame with 15 to go with a busted hammy which caused some chaos on our end as well. So given our circumstances, we'll take the W, even though we didn't play close to our best game nor did we play "our" game as we know we have played of late. But it's nice to see that even though we don't play our best, we still have the system in place to pull out the W.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
But they did get a PK for a foul that was right on the 18 yard box. I was 2 metres from the infraction and it happened right on the 18 yard box line. Not a PK in my books - a foul, yes, but no PK.

The line is part of the penalty area and a foul committed in the penalty area is a PK. The ref made the correct call.

Konk

Mar 25, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
A tough match up against the always pesky Goo Boys on Sunday. Any word on the condition of McBride at this time of year. As I recall it can be quite a quagmire except for the baseball diamond area. What's the deal 5th Back? I must say that this field was the setting for one of the most memorable all-time best Knights games. Not on the field though...
We filled a five gallon container full of ice, tequila, and margarita mix. Our fans, back when we had fans... had a great time! Most of it was gone by the time the game finished. Guys were trying to get subbed off just to get some before it was all gone. I wonder if # 2 remembers if we won or not.

Well, with a skiff of snow it's a moot point now, but as far as the condition of McBride I'd say that it actually holds up quite well except for the southwest corner which doesn't drain and stays soggy after any amount of rain. It's certainly no worse than Montgomery though :). Is that still your home park, or have you moved? So, from your story it sounds like Fletch and crew were just carrying on the tradition when they had McBride. Looking forward to our game sometime in the new year - hopefully it won't be another tie - that would be three in a row!

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Norvan 4 - 0 C-Lects: Game Abandoned with 20min to play...
This sub-zero match saw bonefish taking this game in from the sideline due to the ass-kicking laid onto him by the Flu over the weekend. Game started with chippiness that would prevail through most of the game with people pulling jerseys and taking a few more liberties than necessary. Norvan takes the lead on a long throwin that eludes the C-Lects keeper and is looped(flubbed :D)in by one of our forwards. It was not too long after this when one our players lost it after getting knocked from behind and gives a CLect player(with a very short fuse) a shove. This led to some fists from the CLect player who thought the 2 hand push needed some manos de pierda to defend himself as our player continued to backup. Anyways, Agressive play, definite retaliation and both players are in the book. This seemed to spark the C-Lects and they made a couple of dangerous counters. The open space worked to our advantage and we eventually found the 2nd goal on a gimme that came after one of our many corners with the CLects keepers help as he was unable to play the cross/shot out of the back of the net. 3rd goal came before half on another nice cross that was one timed at the far post by our Swedish import. Short halftime goal number four comes with about 10min in and things look to be quieting down when all of a sudden a rolling ball is played hard towards our goal. Our keeper comes out and slides gets the ball and then "Crack". This is our keeper who have been dearly missing the last 4-5 weeks. He sits up a bit puzzled and then it hits him that the right leg isn't looking like it did just a second ago.

Sure enough, there is a full on break in the middle of the lower-leg. Tough break for a young kid and he was having a heck of a comeback game. Hopefully there are no complications that will impair his recovery or affect any decisions about soccer.

I also want to extend my thanks to the C-Lects players who assited with stabalizing the young lad. They went above and beyond the call and I think had we had a bit more equipment at the field, could have had him in the 'Bus' quicker than the PM's that seemed to be a bit on the slow side.

-BonefishOut-

dr.j

Sep 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes 5th Back. We seem to be a homeless bunch these days. I think our home is now Hillcrest, but I have yet to play there. Leaving Montgomery,one of the worst fields in all of metro, has been as big a change for us as it is for Army's or Bonefish's lads when they have to leave the comfort of their turf fields and play on regular pitches. Nothing like having the private school's football teams tear up the field the day before a big match.It seems odd to play a game and not hear someone from the other team express shock, dismay, or pity at the state of our home field. No built in excuses for miskicking a sure tap in from 6 yards out anymore or having a shot on goal end up as a throw in. Except of course for the standard ones: "The sun got in my eyes", " To my feet A_ _ hole!" or " I never expected you to have enough skill to make that pass..."

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sure enough, there is a full on break in the middle of the lower-leg. Tough break for a young kid and he was having a heck of a comeback game. Hopefully there are no complications that will impair his recovery or affect any decisions about soccer.

I also want to extend my thanks to the C-Lects players who assited with stabalizing the young lad. They went above and beyond the call and I think had we had a bit more equipment at the field, could have had him in the 'Bus' quicker than the PM's that seemed to be a bit on the slow side.

-BonefishOut-
The Firemen are probably the best team to be playing against when that sort of thing happens. That's really unfortunate, especially after just coming back from injury. The same thing happened to one of our players two years ago, and although he fortunately made a full physical recovery, he hasn't been back on the pitch.
Was there a collision, or did he do it mainly on his own? I've seen some pretty horrific injuries in people playing on turf with long blades that get caught in the ground while the leg keeps going. :(

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
He made his play on the ball which was a slide on his left side with his right leg raised a bit past parellel and the C-Selct player made the decision to go through. The game was 4 nothing and it was probably not the best decision. Insufficient shinguards were a factor as well.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
This is for Bonefish and the JB's. The rest of you can stop reading.

Gentlemen, I am thinking a Christmas bonus if you can get some points out of Yaletown. 2 bottles of the Beam or anything else you have in mind. Let me know.

Hugs and Kisses,

Army

The rest of you can continue reading now. :D

Hi Oggy!

Oggy

Oct 31, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hi Army!

I don't know what I could offer Aryana to get them to even show up on a Friday night in Ladner...:confused:

Actually, I'd give their left back a large bottle of his favorite furniture polish if he promised not to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0