Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 VMSL Division 2 CAT Results & Banter - March-April 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

amazing_hands

Oct 7, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well playing is always the main joy but getting better and developing and moving forward is always an added bonus. When I played in 2 cat we won our side and for myself I found it be a big whoopee doo. Glad you guys enjoyed it so much and congrats man.

As far as no beers I only drink hard now I'm trying to watch the midsection :p

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
CAT in theory is about individual player development within a club in order to strengthen, ultimately, the top team in the club whether that be in the Premier or Div 1. It is not about "winning the division".

The fact that CAT teams can play for "provincials" defeats the purpose of the CAT system IMO.

I also think that having Div 2 and Div 1 Cups in the league is a load of crap. Everyone should be made to enter the Imperial Cup. Period.

bobby

Oct 6, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
CAT in theory is about individual player development within a club in order to strengthen, ultimately, the top team in the club whether that be in the Premier or Div 1. It is not about "winning the division".

The fact that CAT teams can play for "provincials" defeats the purpose of the CAT system IMO.

I also think that having Div 2 and Div 1 Cups in the league is a load of crap. Everyone should be made to enter the Imperial Cup. Period.
I couldn't agree more with your comments about the Imperial Cup. Scrap the divisional cups and have everyone enter with a shot at the Imperial. Remember when 3rd divsion Point Grey went to the Provincials? I think the league brought in the divisional cups the following year so they would be saved this sort of "embarrassment".

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:

Usually regs I think you are pretty on target with your comments and perception of things but on this I think you are way off. First off I thought premier teams had their own Cat system in which those were the players developing to play premier in the "club". I thought teams in div 2 would be brought up to div 1 as part of the "club" but no it's the players playing an even lower level of soccer div 2 cat. So whats the purpose of div 2 then? Other then being promoted? but if you are a club why would you have 2 teams in div 1? I also think thats a great idea Regs have young players experiencing 10-0 losses in the imperial cup that will keep people involved in soccer and encourage development. sounds more like oyu would be discouraging teams and leaving many teams who are in the mid pack at mid season with nothing to play for or look forward too. Now thats club and soccer development Regs. players need to experience success and accolmplishment to succeed in life and soccer.

Regs you're and idiot. period.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I seem to remember that the divisional cups were actually brought in because some teams/clubs in those divisions complained that it was useless for them to enter the Imperial Cup with slim to none hope of winning/going far into it.

The stupid thing about that way of thinking is that if they all entered the Imperial Cup, they would all start off playing each other anyways before the Premier teams entered the fray. Not to mention that half the teams in each division get knocked out after one game anyways :rolleyes:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't want to go back and forth here but at the end of the day the top div 2 team don't have much of a chance knocking out Croatia,Sapperton, surrey etc. So really they are just taking up space for the most part. Why not give lower teams something exciting to play for alot of those guys will never see higher level of play then div 2. itleast give them a chance to experience a provincial competition or a cup they have a chance to win. Winning is fun it might not be the imperial cup but winning any cup is an accomplishment.

Jinky

Jun 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Once you've been a third division side (PoCoMo) giving a premier side (Mertro-Ford Wolves) a close run for their money in an Imperial cup game, you will understand why all teams should be playing for the same prize. Right Smallsey?

As for the CAT system, I think it could be a very good system if run correctly. Unfortunately it is not. There simply shouldn't be CAT divisions. A team like Richmond Utd. for example, should be playing regular Div 2 while enjoying the benefits of moving players between it's roster and that of the Div 1 team. That way it's fixtures remain competitive while it supports the first team. I've said before that that the CAT system should be run more like Rugby, premier, firsts, seconds, thirds and juniors. That way everyone, no matter who they play for, will be contributing to his club's success or failure.

Hummer

Mar 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
amazing_hands said:
Well playing is always the main joy but getting better and developing and moving forward is always an added bonus. When I played in 2 cat we won our side and for myself I found it be a big whoopee doo. Glad you guys enjoyed it so much and congrats man.

As far as no beers I only drink hard now I'm trying to watch the midsection :p

I agree with what's been stated earlier on both sides of the fence. Keep in mind Amazing_Hands, that on any given week, teams in the Cat 2 system may have div 1 players playing. So I think if you love the sport of soccer it is a whoopee doo to beat a team spotting div 1 or premier players on a 2 Cat team. I especially like it when I see arrogant 2 Cat teams fill their roster with a few div 1 lads and still get their asses spanked.

Having played on numerous teams, I like the Club system, and I have seen many teams around the league truly develop into a good soccer organizations. Cliff Ave, and Westside have good clubs and feeders as evident in their standings and length of being a club. Recently, I have seen Wickham develop into what seems like a good club system. If you truly understand the "club system" then the Cat makes a lot of sense.

You mentioned getting better and moving forward......I can remember when I was 5 and getting better and moving forward, but now that I am my late 30's the reality of me moving forward and getting better is pretty slim....there's something called ability threshold--it's not happening. Interestingly enough the premier teams aren't looking for more aging veterns in their 40's thinking that they're getting better when they never had it, are they?

-Hummer

May 12, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think part of the probelm still is the lack of a Div 3. The CAT system is for bigger clubs and clubs that have Premier Teams. It is purely for developing players as everyone recognizes. To be developed you have to have natural talent to begin with. Young talented kids want to play Premier so there are plenty of kids who are willing to Play CAT (Farm Team Ball) as they see opportunity and have a goal in mind.

CAT 2 has some good players but the mix includes Div 3 calibur players and some aging wonders as well. No one seems pleased with the CAT other than CAT 1 as the "development" tag fits better.

I think we would be better off with two Div 2 Groups, One Cat 2 and two Div 3 Groupings. As it stands only 10 of the CAT 2 Teams have Div 1 Teams. Even our club (Bombastic FC) only has a Div 2 above us. THis would also solve the issue of 2 or 3 teams getting their asses kicked week in week out.

I'm sure Micky D's didn't enjoy their 10-0 and 8-0 drubbings.

Hummer

Mar 16, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Georgie's Best,

I agree ......all I can comment on is I feel that the league in Div 2 (whether it's cat or not) is very diluted. You see that in the standings with disparity between teams whether it's Cat or Non, and the numerous discussions on the TTP with regards to talent teams/players.

-Hummer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0