Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 2 [VMSL DIV 2] Predictions, Results and Banter 2015/2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Besides the campo love/hate relationship we have going, does anybody know what the result was in the Rino vs United game. Both good teams with United looking to upset the table.

3-1 for us. We were up 2-0 at half. 2nd half, our left back scored a worldy as he picked up a loose ball just inside Van U's half, dribbled one man, strode forward, and then unleashed a piledriver. Van U picked up a consolation goal right at the end.

What has happened to Gastown?? Winless in 5 after a hot start to the season.

Farquea

Jan 14, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Greencaps 3-2 Tanoa

On a week that saw Remembrance Day observed, there were another 11 heroes down at Trillium Turf on Saturday wearing green jerseys who should have been honored after one of the greatest performances ever. After 3 straight losses, the Greencaps displayed just how big their balls were with this result, with seams straining in the crotch it was a marvel that they had even managed to get their shorts on at all.

The Tanoa giants made this a colossal clash of 2 of world footballs superpowers and at times resembled the type of bloody performance ancient Romans witnessed in the Colosseum, watching brave gladiators do battle for a living. However it was the Irishmen who prevailed and slit the throats of Tanoa and stood over their fallen opponent as they dealt the final blow to pick up 3 points in this VMSL Division 2A clash of the century. As the final whistle blew, the cheers of hundreds of ecstatic spectators blended with the distant sound of Celtic Harp music, complimented by the soothing sounds of Enya and Bono in a duet worthy of the gods.

Last edited:

Farquea

Jan 14, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
and when put through the bullshit filter....

Pretty much like the rest of our games this season, well contested and tight and could easily have gone the other way with a bit of (bad)luck. Plenty of tackles flying in, some great goals and a red card too. Fun for everyone to be had here.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
While I like my amateur football too, and look forward to the weekly competitions for energy, diversion and enjoyment, I would have to say you have lost the plot when you go off on what I consider a baseless, flowery erroneous tract and make the above quoted statement. As a player and manager for Norvan teams over several years, I know we have had players from all walks of life, creeds and color. I will give you that it is not random in the sense that the team and its staff pull primarily from a North Vancouver associated pool which has a demographic that is different from other municipalities. To call it anything else is...well... "Base-less".

At any rate, you are one hell of a roll with your TTP commentary and are attracting fans from around the footballing world I am sure. Best of luck.

IlluminatiOut
Thank you for taking the time to write and provide an explanation on issue that is not frivolous and is not a matter of joking. I hope that you realize that the purpose of the posts is to raise awareness on minor and not so minor issues.

In summary, on the last three games (Norvan, Greencaps, and Meraloma) I have observed that their starting line ups have been almost completely or completely composed from players of Northern European ancestry. I only saw a couple of players of Asian ancestry or visible minority on the benches of those teams. Thus, more than 95% looked caucasian.
This is a fact and I am merely stating these observations. I am not providing a value judgement.

You provide a plausible and reasonable explanation to this observation, which is based on demographics. Thus, I checked the Census statistics. This is what they say:

"North Vancouver has one of the highest West Asian population ratios for any Canadian city at 7.2%. The racial make up of North Vancouver is: 68.8% White, 7.9% East Asian; 3.8% Chinese, 2.5% Korean, 1.6% Japanese, 7.3% Southeast Asian; 7.0% Filipino, 7.2% West Asian...."

"Vancouver is an ethnically and lingustically diverse: 52% do not speak English as their first language.[4][5] Almost 30% of the city's inhabitants are of Chinese heritage... 52% is a visible minority."

You can do the math. We have freedom of association.

To rephase, my proposition is that this difference is based on the tactic and strategic conceptualization of the game (often tied to culture) and that this leads to the creation of various segregated teams.

Other propositions, could be that it is due to simple self selected affinity.

Finally and lastly, there is some that might argue not without base that it might be due to straight bias. We can not ignore this based on what goes on on the soccer world from the national team levels to the amateur levels, and FIFA is very aware of it.

"I believe if I was white, I would have been England captain for more than 10 years - it's as simple as that," said the 39-year-old, who won 73 full caps. Sol Campbell.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...d-have-been-England-captain-for-10-years.html

“Moran’s revelation reveals that the FA’s primary concern was to preserve a predominantly white image of the England team, an image that they themselves had constructed and took great steps to preserve,” the author writes.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...ld-not-pick-too-many-black-players-fa-england

Perhaps, we will never know the real reasons of the discrepancy on the composition of our team with respect to those three teams (soccer strategy, demographics, self selection, or bias or another one).
As managers, coaches, and players we do have the social responsability of not taking these issues without reflection and thought. We do have a duty to promote racial and ethnic integration.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think (or hope, probably more accurately) that most of us who put teams together in this part of the world don't give a rat's arse about the ethnic backgrounds of our players so much as the more important questions like "can this individual actually play football?" I've fielded a team where my players spoke 10 different first languages before; they still got along with each other and managed to play the style that worked best for the resources we had. This doesn't mean that we don't understand paying attention to individuals' cultural differences; obviously in a situation like the one I described, it's extremely important, but not my overriding concern. That's so much more about getting the best football out of each one than anything else.

Do players self-select? Of course. They want to play with their friends, relatives, people who speak the same language, tell the same bad jokes, and eat the same post-game stuff off the BBQ. There have been (and still are) culture-based teams in this part of the world for decades. That's one of the reasons that Nation's Cup is so popular. Demographics are much less important at the adult level than at the youth level. Adults are obviously way more mobile - just look at the addresses on your team lists to verify that; you will always have outliers geographically regardless of where your team is "based."

Yes, I've heard racism on the field, and I don't tolerate it either. As somebody who has been a coach for a language school, I've ripped into students for using racist remarks about other players as well as into their opponents for doing the same thing to my players. I'm sure Bonefish has had to deal with the same idiots; however, he isn't publicly fixating on the topic. I tend to worry a lot less about the ethnic makeup of my opponents' lineups and more about what they're able (or not able) to do on the field.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Campo Atletico 1 Vs Meraloma 1
or the battle of the ground pass Vs the long ball.

A Saturday rainy afternoon witnessed the game of Campo Atletico and Meraloma. Campo Atletico managed to obtain the lead early in the first half, but could not extend it during the game. Meraloma did not give up and tied the game within 30 seconds of the final whistle to give end to a dramatic afternoon of contrasts and hard fought battles.

The game was the reflection of two opposed ways of seeing the game, and the goals were the epitome of these confronting views.

The Campo players were not seen this time as the underdogs. The recent performances with the Greencaps and Norvan gave the confidence that they could dictate the game from the start. and indeed this is what happened. During most of the first half Campo controlled the game and generated most of the goal scoring opportunities. The first warning came within two minutes. An unopposed switch of ball between the left and right side of the field left the striker on a one on one situation with the full back. Our forward dribbled past the defender and then again past the center back. He made a ground pass, but the the other forward could not reach in time and the ball rolled past the post.

A few minutes later a combination in the midfield leads to give plenty of room and space to the attacking mifielder. A nick shot that beats the keeper but it barely goes above the crossbar. Players and coaches could feel that a goal was coming soon.

We have seen played Meraloma before, so we tried to sofocate their build ups or exits, which essentially rely on giving the ball to the defensive line and then a long ball to the tall strong forward.
Our players pressed on a high line and high numbers, and this lead to a midfielder to give up the ball. Our wing back, won the ball from the interception, gave the ball to the mifielder who returned in a well executed wall ground pass. Then the wingback went through two defenders and put the ball calmly on the bottom right corner. It was so easy that the team started to relax.

It was only towards the end of the first half that Merloma started to react. They did create two very dangerous opportunities. One was a cross to the centerforward who headed well the ball. Our goalie saved it and then the ball went to the post.

They also created a nice play. A long ball to the center forward who chested it down and passed it back to the midfielder who sent a ball to the approaching winger. He was open for a clear shot but he kicked it wide.

The second half was a bit of disappointment with unorganized play and plenty of fouls in both sides. Perhaps this chaos benefited more Meraloma. Our forward had a very good chance to finish the game. Meraloma went into the attack to equalize and often left 1 v 1 situations at the back. On one of them our forward received the bal. Put the ball between the legs of the center back and went into a one on one situation with the keeper. It should have been a goal but he kicked it wide to the side of the net.

Meraloma was determined to tight and fought hard to have the ball by any means on the attacking third. Most of them aerial balls. The referee tell us that there is a minute to go. The game seems to be over. A foul in front of the penalty box. Completely unnecessary, but the guys are tired. Meraloma sends a long ball to the penalty box. The keeper says loudly "keeper" and grabs the ball, two players crash on him, the ball is on the ground and comes to the feet of the forward, who blast it to the net. A bit of luck and perhaps a bit of a referee error, because it seemed to be a foul from this angle. But this is the way the soccer games go.

Meraloma seems happy with the point. We are not as the game seemed to have been won.

One win and two ties from Greencaps/Norvan/Meraloma is not a bad outcome for a rebuilding team. I give credit to the players for putting their hearts on the field.

We look forward to the second round games.

-------------------
Ps. the point of these posts is to let you know that we play differently and see the game differently than most of you. No need to get defensive or thinking that we are imposing. This is the way we like to play and see the game.

Macho Man

Oct 25, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
-------------------
Ps. the point of these posts is to let you know that we play differently and see the game differently than most of you. No need to get defensive or thinking that we are imposing. This is the way we like to play and see the game.

a person could try to sound smugger than this, but it would be REALLY hard

May as well pack it up and quit, Campo have the game all figured out

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thank you for taking the time to write and provide an explanation on issue that is not frivolous and is not a matter of joking. I hope that you realize that the purpose of the posts is to raise awareness on minor and not so minor issues.

In summary, on the last three games (Norvan, Greencaps, and Meraloma) I have observed that their starting line ups have been almost completely or completely composed from players of Northern European ancestry. I only saw a couple of players of Asian ancestry or visible minority on the benches of those teams. Thus, more than 95% looked caucasian.
This is a fact and I am merely stating these observations. I am not providing a value judgement.

You provide a plausible and reasonable explanation to this observation, which is based on demographics. Thus, I checked the Census statistics. This is what they say:

"North Vancouver has one of the highest West Asian population ratios for any Canadian city at 7.2%. The racial make up of North Vancouver is: 68.8% White, 7.9% East Asian; 3.8% Chinese, 2.5% Korean, 1.6% Japanese, 7.3% Southeast Asian; 7.0% Filipino, 7.2% West Asian...."

"Vancouver is an ethnically and lingustically diverse: 52% do not speak English as their first language.[4][5] Almost 30% of the city's inhabitants are of Chinese heritage... 52% is a visible minority."

To rephase, my proposition is that this difference is based on the tactic and strategic conceptualization of the game (often tied to culture) and that this leads to the creation of various segregated teams.

Finally and lastly, there is some that might argue not without base that it might be due to straight bias. We can not ignore this based on what goes on on the soccer world from the national team levels to the amateur levels, and FIFA is very aware of it.

"I believe if I was white, I would have been England captain for more than 10 years - it's as simple as that," said the 39-year-old, who won 73 full caps. Sol Campbell.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...d-have-been-England-captain-for-10-years.html

“Moran’s revelation reveals that the FA’s primary concern was to preserve a predominantly white image of the England team, an image that they themselves had constructed and took great steps to preserve,” the author writes.
http://www.theguardian.com/football...ld-not-pick-too-many-black-players-fa-england

Perhaps, we will never know the real reasons of the discrepancy on the composition of our team with respect to those three teams (soccer strategy, demographics, self selection, or bias or another one).
As managers, coaches, and players we do have the social responsability of not taking these issues without reflection and thought. We do have a duty to promote racial and ethnic integration.

In answer to this lesson in
Multiculturalism on our 5 teams we have players from nearly every
Country But we do not have
A Martian or green. Aliens
I will sign them if they can play. Good Football
As I am sure the Meraloma coach
Would as well

bonefish

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
@ Soccer Coach, Again, I applaud your passion for the game. I am not up on your thread because I want to pick apart your posts or start a flame war. There are lots of things that will influence we humans on our course through time and space and we would all be wrong if we said that ethnicity does not play a varying role at any particular juncture point. As Trece said, the primary qualifier is...Can you play football son? What comes out of the Plinko Machine at the end is impacted by things like demographics, and even ethnic leagues/ethnic teams (the Northshore has at least 2 open "West Asian" teams in the VMSL as well as other associated Masters teams that affect the available pool). I will also give you something in that there may be some "ethnic players" that want to play a certain style of football...and maybe some yet who can't for the life of them understand why some of the staff sound like they are speaking with a bunch of marbles in there mouth... Perhaps a primer..

RickG

May 28, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
How we pick players for Bowen Is. FC.

1. Do you know what this round thing is?
2. How do you feel about coming off the island on Sat. or Sunday for 20 weeks?
3. Will you occasionally come to training (please)?
4. Have you ever played soccer, even a single game, say, in the backyard with your sister, in your life?

Current ethnocultural composition of squad.
Persian 1
Saudi 1
Peruvian 2
Italian 1
Hillbilly 14

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
All my mates
@ Soccer Coach, Again, I applaud your passion for the game. I am not up on your thread because I want to pick apart your posts or start a flame war. There are lots of things that will influence we humans on our course through time and space and we would all be wrong if we said that ethnicity does not play a varying role at any particular juncture point. As Trece said, the primary qualifier is...Can you play football son? What comes out of the Plinko Machine at the end is impacted by things like demographics, and even ethnic leagues/ethnic teams (the Northshore has at least 2 open "West Asian" teams in the VMSL as well as other associated Masters teams that affect the available pool). I will also give you something in that there may be some "ethnic players" that want to play a certain style of football...and maybe some yet who can't for the life of them understand why some of the staff sound like they are speaking with a bunch of marbles in there mouth... Perhaps a primer..

All my mates

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money

No worries. It is just ideas. I know that at the end we are all trying to promote football and have more in common than the rest of the population which is the love of the game.

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I watched Tanoa vs NorVan
No defence Tanoa
Did not see end but could be
4-1 Norvan
4 prem players still on Tanoa
Inc Milad ,Robbie , steve
What a.
waste