Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuffey

Mar 11, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Id say so. One more win will catapult them up the table. Romania or GN to go down Im sure as Delta are quite strong.

foursquare

Sep 27, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bingers 3-1 over Guildford.

2-0 at half before they got one back with 15 minutes remaining to make things interesting. Got the insurance marker a few minutes later.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
I predict 4 wins Campo goes to prem next season
Thank you. I do not think so. We are not there yet. Next season, perhaps.
We need to sign more players. I have only 9 for tomorrow, so more CAT players. Really a lot of suspensions, injuries, and sickness. I have a really terrific squad and I try to be loyal to them, but it has been really though with the snow and keeping everyone together for such a long time.
Thanks though.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rino's Vancouver 1-0 Romania
Rino's Tigers 1-1 Norvan

I wasn't at either match so can't really give a detailed report, but I was told that Tigers played the 2nd half with 10 due to a red card.

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Campo Atletico 2 - Metropolitan 1
or Metropolitan's fair play and two amazing goals give Campo the win.

Before going into details of the match and the description of two really nice goals from the Campo players, I need to highlight the really admirable fair play and sportspersonship of Metropolitan.

The scoreboard showed one goal for each team, when a purely phantom goal occurred. Our team lost possession on the build up. One of their forwards intercepted a ball and ran on an angle towards the goal line as our defender was closing on it. He delivered a powerful shot that clearly went wide and at least 2 meters from the post. Everyone saw it, except the three referees. To our surprise the referee pointed to the central spot and the assistant ran towards the middle.

This again created a chaotic and frantic scene where the referee delivered four or five yellow cards for dissent. Our defenders even had to show the referee that the net had become detached. He was not bulging. However, unexpectedly the Metropolitan player walked to the referee and told him that it was not a goal.

In a turn of the events. After the goal was revered and the goal kick was taken, Campo created a nice build up that ended up in a very nice finishing. It felt wrong to celebrate this goal. The fair play from Metropolitan is quite significative because this three points might have saved them from relegation. There was only about 5 minutes left in the game.

Not to keep harping on the refereeing. The players in the league deserve a better product. My understanding is that the referees are supposed to check the nets before the game and before the start of the second half. They did not do either of them, so this bizarre and ghost goal took place.

Look, I understand that refereeing is a though job, and they need to be paid better. But these things can not keep happening: The late arrivals, cutting of corners like the skipping of coin tosses, the failure to check the nets, and showing cards like candy for expressing frustration {which is not dissent.

The VMSL needs to devote more money to the regulation and improvement of referees. They do have the money. They are simply not making it a priority, and they will not make it a priority unless we but pressure on the league.

The game took place under a very pleasant sunny afternoon. It had a leisurely and pleasant pace. Campo dominated possession from the beginning and created many opportunities. Metropolitan was content to rely on counterattacks. They had only a few, but all of them were very well executed and could ended up in goals.

Campo's first goal was perhaps one of the best of the season. A perfectly executed goal of "chilena" or overhead kick.

As many games during the season, Campo let go quite a few opportunities. There were two goals disallowed due to offsides. I would be venturing into pushing into the conspiracy theories with the phantom goal and the controversial offside calls. One controversial goal from Metropolitan was also dissallowed on an offside call. One assistant was having trouble calling the offsides both ways.

The missing opportunities were paid eventually as Metropolitan recovered the ball in a hard but well executed tackle and a quick and nice transition with a very clever move from their forwards ended up in the back of the net. The goalie saved the shot but the forward who was arguable offside scored. A good play by Metropolitan, but not the best call. Anyway, this made the game more interesting

It seemed that Campo would eventually get a second goal, but the events described at the beginning of the report took place.
The finish from our forward was quite superb. A soft but well placed shot left the keeper and the entire defensive line stuck on their feet.

Metropolitan did not give up. They pushed really hard. They could have scored. Our goalie saved a long ball like the goal from Coquitlam and then the assistant raised the flag on a rebound.

Overall, a very memorable game. Good character from Metropolitan. I know that not that many guys would have done what they did.

As for the refereeing, central referee did well and one assistant too. Perhaps the two issues were the failure to check the nets, and the quickness to show cards for perceived dissent. We had like 6 or 7 cards for dissent. In my view a bit too sensitive from the refereeing crew. It was not like we were like on the video below.

soccer8

Jan 19, 2013
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow that really was some great sportsmanship by metro. I bet a lot of teams would have said nothing. I agree something needs to be done about the refereeing in this league. The standard is high in this league and players and coaches deserve more. And yes i understand there is probably a shortage

Canucks4Ever

Jan 9, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
The Cup is over for Div. 1 squads and now attention turns to the promotion and relegation races. At the top Tigers are surely all but promoted and time is running out on Metropolitans last gasp survival bid. Baseless Predictions as follows:

GN Sporting v CCB Guildford
It's a case of deja vu for the Guildford boys as it looks as though they are becoming perennial also-rans in Div. 1, with their promotion charge having lost steam after Christmas for the second consecutive season. A win this weekend would at least put the pressure on NorVan, but the North Shore boys are in pole position with games in hand. GN meanwhile looked to be comfortable in their return to Division 1, but their form has gone ice cold with just a lone win since October. CCB may have checked out on their season, but a local Surrey derby should see them field a good squad. I would expect they have enough to get past their Newton neighbours.

Romania v Rino's Fury
Romania are another team struggling for form at the moment. Their last win was November 20 and they too must now keep a watchful eye on the chasing Metropolitan. Fury have been doing a lose one/win one pattern in the league since October and are due for a loss based on that form. However, they knocked off CCB two weeks ago and are in the top half of the table on merit in their debut season. Romania really need this one to keep the relegation pressure off, but I think Fury are the better squad at the moment. Romania won the reverse fixture so plenty of motivation for the Rino's boys who are already mathematically guaranteed another season in Div. 1; I think they chalk up a win.

Rino's Tiger v Rino's Vancouver
The Tigers can taste it at this point. A win and they are guaranteed no worse that a playoff to go up next year. A win and Campo getting less than full points at NorVan would mean it's confirmed that the Tigers will be returning to the top flight next season. Rino's Vancouver are all but mathematically safe from relegation (23 is currently the magic number), but ostensibly have nothing to play for. While I am sure that they would like nothing better than to postpone their cousins' promotion celebrations (a feat they were never able to achieve themselves after over a decade in the Division...) I would expect the Tigers to run roughshod over them on the way to good Saturday night of celebrations.

NorVan v Campo
Match of the Week on Sunday when Campo journey to the North Shore. After a long break NorVan were beaten easily by Richmond in the Imperial Cup, but bounced back to draw league leaders Rino's Tigers last week. The North Shore boys will spend the rest of the month at home and Campo is by far their toughest test in the run in. A win would vault Campo ahead of NorVan and into the second promotion spot, though NorVan would still hold a game in hand and would go up if they won out. Campo's exploits are well documented on this sight, so safe to say they will come prepared with a thorough game plan. A loss could all but end their bid to go straight up from Div. 2 as, should NorVan then win their game in hand, Campo would be seven points back with only three games remaining. This then, is the game of the season for Campo. Interestingly, they had to journey to North Vancouver around this time last season to play for their promotion lives and ended up losing to NorVan Storm before a fortuitous circumstance led to their promotion. Campo have shown they are a match for anybody in a one off game and will surely test NorVan's promotion credentials to the maximum. NorVan have the pedigree though, and haven't lost, other than the aforementioned Imperial Cup game, since the beginning of November. The reverse fixture was a stalemate and truthfully I am leaning towards the same in this one.

Metropolitan v Bingers
It's the eleventh hour and Students are desperate for points. Campo halted their faint survival bid from gaining further steam last week and with Rino's Tigers on the horizon, as well as all the teams they are chasing having games in hand, this is as close to must win as it gets without it being a mathematical necessity. Three points would artificially bump them out of the drop zone as South Delta are idle this weekend. They could also potentially leapfrog GN and Romania should those clubs both lose. This would ratchet up the pressure on these teams to start putting up some results and could really make things very interesting over the few weeks. Binger's however, are never ones to take their foot off the neck of an opponent. A win for the Army would make yet another Division 1 season a certainty for the league's fixture team. They romped to a 3-1 win out in Surrey last week and will always be hungry to win, no matter their place in the table. Unless Metro can really go into the top drawer for something special, an ability they haven't had this season, I can't see Bingers dropping this one.

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Some late suspensions could add a wrinkle to these matches...

2 suspended each for:

Binger's Army
Rino's Van SC
Campo Atletico
Rino's Fury (carried over from last week since our game was postponed)

SmartCoach

Oct 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Red card every time Rinos teams have played each other
3-2 Tigers
4-2 Romania
Yellows coming up 2 days before game is a killer
Guys away or working then Suspensions coming up
For players that can play hard to play with 1 sub

Status
Not open for further replies.