Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Div 1 [VMSL Div 1] Predictions, Results & Banter 2016/2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Moving players around isn't the problem. Campo has three squads in different divisions and could easily do the same.

The potential issue is two Raging Rhinos teams scheduled to play each other in the penultimate weekend. If Fury is already promoted by then with games to spare, and the other team is fighting a relegation battle...

I'm not having a go at the Raging Rhinos club here; good on them for getting three teams up to the VMSL's second tier. It's the league's issue.

It also just looks amateurish on the league to have several teams from one club in one division. Makes it look like there aren't enough decent clubs in the region.

kokanee

Sep 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Another team brought the issue late. At the time. It did not affect us. Regardless, I can see that most people can not see the implications and connections but the better results this year will show for Rinos. It is an advantage for three teams to work together.

So really...were you born with expired sperm?

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
How is that really any different if the 2 teams are not from the same club? One won't really be trying as hard as earlier in the season and one team will be trying their hardest.

There's a difference between "not trying hard" and "oh, if we intentionally lose this game, another team from our club avoids relegation."

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
From my experience, two teams from the same club have more competitive and explosive games that opposing clubs. You think players on one team are going to lay down for the other team? You haven't played sports before if you think that.

Sure, generally speaking... but when promotion or relegation is on the line?

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I do not agree with you

If it can happen in the professional game, you're saying it couldn't happen in the amateurs?

Soccer Coach mentioned Gijon - an Olympic match. Another historical example is the 1994 Caribbean Cup.

I have no reason to believe the Raging Rhinos teams would do such a thing, but when the league format prevents such meetings from happening...

dezza

Feb 20, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gijon in 1982 was a World Cup match. Austria and West Germany are not the same club/country. What they did was mutually beneficial. W. Germany had to win, Austria had to not lose by more than 2. I'm sure Austria did not plan to let Germany win, but once they had conceded realized that all they had to do was keep possession and not attack and Germany would not be too fussed about scoring again.

The Caribbean Cup example is even worse. That was one team abusing some strange rules to advance. There was no collusion there, and in fact it was their opponents of that match who ended up losing out by the strange double-value extra time goal.

Blue and White Army

Dec 5, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Examples weren't meant to be mirror images; they were meant to suggest that even in the pros, malarkey can and does happen.

I expect that in most cases, several teams from one club in the same division isn't a problem. It occurs every year in the FVSL and MWSL. But all it takes is one rotten apple... which makes me wonder why the VMSL would allow it.

I can assure you that my knickers are knot-free.

Stringer

Nov 18, 2011
Tokens
Dirty Money
pass and a long ball left their goalie very vulnerable and easy pray for nice shots.

So you play long ball and you want to teach Canadians how to play? Is that what they teach you in the slums with no shoes as you said?

How about next year you don't come to the AGM. No one here gives a shite about your theory of Rino's conspiring against everyone. This is a good honor based system with people. They have not done anything wrong so you shouldn't assume they will. You don't just come here and accuse people. Anytime someone says something to you, you run to the law or threaten with lawsuits.

You wish your club had 3 teams in Div. 1. Jealousy will not get you anywhere. Get a grip and clean up your dog shite idiot

Soccer Coach

Apr 14, 2015
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gijon in 1982 was a World Cup match. Austria and West Germany are not the same club/country. What they did was mutually beneficial. W. Germany had to win, Austria had to not lose by more than 2. I'm sure Austria did not plan to let Germany win, but once they had conceded realized that all they had to do was keep possession and not attack and Germany would not be too fussed about scoring again.

The Caribbean Cup example is even worse. That was one team abusing some strange rules to advance. There was no collusion there, and in fact it was their opponents of that match who ended up losing out by the strange double-value extra time goal.

If collusion would not be a possible issue; then how you can explain rule 13.1?

"Section 13 – Premier Division

13.1 The Premier Division shall be limited to one team per club."

Whoever wrote this part of the rule had vision to preserve healthy competition. I suspect that times have changed and it is clear that Division 1 and 2 are becoming very competitive. I do not think that at the time the people responsible for the league would expected that three teams would form a cartel. I have seen the level of both divisions go up dramatically.

There is nothing that we can do now. Just perhaps be mindful of the optics.

As for the denials, we are good people, we would never do it. It reminds me of the 2-2 draw between Demmark and Sweden. Coaches and players denying that they would play 2-2 and it ended in exactly 2-2 with the last goal scored in the 9th minute and players and coaches making sure that the result would happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2012/jun/18/euro-2012-sweden-denmark-2-2

In the build-up to the Sweden v Denmark group game at Euro 2004, both the countries' coaches were furious at the mere mention of "a fix". The neighbours only needed to draw 2-2 to eliminate Italy but Morten Olsen and Tommy Soderberg were in defensive mode, with the Dane saying: "That's ridiculous. Don't speak about that. We are honest people. We are going out to win the game and that's all. [Italy] can speak about these things but not Denmark and Sweden. We are going honestly for a result."

...During the warm-up Erik Edman had asked Daniel Jensen "should we go for 2-2?" to which the Danish defender smiled and said: "Yes, why not?" Edman then said: "OK, you concede first..." and then it was obvious that they try to draw.

I think that people are really missing the point. It is just normal human behaviour to collude under the pressure of competition when needed. Thinking that people would not do this is naive. Precautions should be taken so it does not happen.

And yes... we do play the long ball too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0