Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

[TTP Bookie] 2008 Summer Olypmics - Over/Under for Medals won by Canada

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The President of the Canadian Olympic Federation is estimating 17 medals.

Therefor we will have an over/under of 14.5.

Bets good till Saturday Noon.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm thinking there looking at 12. Just a number i picked out of the air.....

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Its been so long, I'll bet on anything. I am going over. BTW, TTPer Eagles is in Beijing for the Olympics. He will be the 8th wonder of the world over there.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Over, but barely.

The papers have all been spewing the same shite, but they don’t actually do any research.

Every one lists Simon Whitfield as a contender in Triathlon, but the likelihood of him cracking the top 5 is low.

Canada has a realistic chance to take home at least two medals on bikes, potentially 6.

Either Catharine Pendrel or Marie-Helene Premont should podium in ladies mountain XC, and there is an outside chance of both. Geoff Kabush has the legs for a top spot in men’s XC, but he’s hit and miss. Pendrel & Premont are both consistently high performers.

We always seem to find a way to bring home one on the track, so I think it is Gina Grain’s turn this year. Depending on the road strategy, Svein Tuft has the guts and competitiveness to win. It all depends on strategy; if the team instead chooses to support Ryder Hesjedal, I don’t like his chances. Tuft is perfectly suited to a single day race. Hesjedal…not suited to battling it out up front.

BMX: Samantha Cools is a lock to make her main 8 final, and a very good shot at #2 or #3. The #1 girl (Reed) is virtually untouchable, but Cools is very fast, and very well coached. She was injured while racing last year’s World’s on the same track (neck kink), and due to poor gates, was involved in a pile-up during the final, as she was running 4th. Healthy, she’ll either be 2nd or 3rd out of the gate, and hold that spot. Her main competition will be Anne-Carolyn Chaisson from France, a former DH multi world champ, and a winning machine. Cools, though, comes from great bloodlines for BMX.

Dark horse in BMX is Surrey’s Scott Erwood. This kid is FAST! IN the nationals this year, he dismantled Canada’s previous undisputed #1 pro, Nick Gertzen. But, since Erwood had been injured and not racing last year, the CCA decided on a race-off between him and Alberta’s Jimmy Brown (who ended 2nd on the National’s main final). The race-ff took place in Chula Vista, California, on a track built identically to the Beijing facility. In the lead-up to the race-off, Erwood set a track record for time trial, bettering American Mike Day’s previous best. Day is favored for gold.

Erwood has said Chula Vista is his new favorite track; here’s a Yutube of the race off between he and Jimmy Brown. Notice how squirly Brown is in trying to keep pace, and eventually he gets off track. Erwood has this track absolutely dialed…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcd5Bz2Ku5Q]YouTube - Canadian Olympic BMX Trails Race Moto 1[/ame]

If Erwood can find his way into the main final (good chance), he has as good a shot as any.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
No disrespect but I've got a feeling a few of our atheletes would struggle to medal even at the special olympics.

BJB

Sep 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
After Day 6...... The under is looking very good....

No. Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 China 17 5 5 27
2 United States 10 8 11 29
3 Korea 6 6 1 13
4 Germany 6 1 2 9
5 Italy 4 4 2 10
6 Australia 4 2 6 12
7 Japan 4 2 3 9
8 Russian Federation 2 7 3 12
9 Great Britain 2 2 3 7
10 Georgia 2 0 1
43 Croatia 0 0 1 1 :D
51 Canada 0 0 0 0

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hilarious... A swiss bike rider was just being bragged about by Canadian commentators for winning the gold medal because he was riding a Canadian made bike! I love it...we officially suck now! All we can do is celebrate the accessory that made it across the finish line in first place ! I'm a very proud Canadian and think I may go for a bike ride now .

Sir M

Lifetime Better Bastard
Feb 3, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
After Day 6......

No. Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
1 China 17 5 5 27
2 United States 10 8 11 29
3 Korea 6 6 1 13
4 Germany 6 1 2 9
5 Italy 4 4 2 10
6 Australia 4 2 6 12
7 Japan 4 2 3 9
8 Russian Federation 2 7 3 12
9 Great Britain 2 2 3 7
10 Georgia 2 0 1
43 Croatia 0 0 1 1 :D
51 Canada 0 0 0 0

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
4th place must be the hardest to accept....no medal but you're probably good enough to have beaten the 3rd place guy if only you never had a boner in the pool.I love the Olympics but fully realize now that money talks and our atheletes are not getting the funds needed to be able to challenge for the top.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who really cares!?
The Summer Olympics is insignificant for most Canadians.

We consume the games on TV and such, but seriously, why throw money at it like some of the other countries do? We are a nation, for the most part, that is covered in snow or has poor weather year round.

The money is being spent properly on the Winter games where our athletes can truly shine.

Look at the Olympic superstars of years past for the Summer games, most have been trasnplanted Canadians from Africa and the Carribean (Donovan Bailey, Daniel Igali, etc...)

Sure our swimming and diving team used ot be good, but seriously...We cannot compete with the States and China's of the world, at least not in the summer. Their chemists are waaaaaay better than ours at developing good masking agents ;)

Look for a top 3 medal finish here in 2010. the Skiing teams are dominating on the world cup circuit, the Hockey is always great, the resources are being poured into that stuff, and that is where the money will return greater dividends.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who really cares!?
The Summer Olympics is insignificant for most Canadians.

We consume the games on TV and such, but seriously, why throw money at it like some of the other countries do? We are a nation, for the most part, that is covered in snow or has poor weather year round.

The money is being spent properly on the Winter games where our athletes can truly shine.

Look at the Olympic superstars of years past for the Summer games, most have been trasnplanted Canadians from Africa and the Carribean (Donovan Bailey, Daniel Igali, etc...)

Sure our swimming and diving team used ot be good, but seriously...We cannot compete with the States and China's of the world, at least not in the summer. Their chemists are waaaaaay better than ours at developing good masking agents ;)

Look for a top 3 medal finish here in 2010. the Skiing teams are dominating on the world cup circuit, the Hockey is always great, the resources are being poured into that stuff, and that is where the money will return greater dividends.

Your just looking forward to the two man luge:p

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0