Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Training Room

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Welcome to the Training Room!

Keeper started a similar thread to this last year (Medical Issues), but it didn’t really fly well because it was strictly related to injuries / recovery. I’ve placed it in the FVSL forum for two reasons: VMSLers don’t seem to post anymore, and FVSLers don’t tend to roam outside the FVSL forum. So moderators, please keep it here.

I always find myself interested in training methods related to the game- on the ball and off. I’ve also had my share of major injuries I’ve rehabbed from, so I take interest in what others have tried in recovering, and if it helped them come back stronger than before, or if they are missing a gear they previously were able to attain.

Use this forum to post questions on soccer specific training techniques, useful cross training tips, or to share experiences with injuries, and your recovery. Perhaps some TTPers in the sports medicine field (Jack the Lad???) can also add some insightful input. Save the piss taking for another thread.

I’ll start it off. I have two useful, recent experiences that come to mind.

SHOULDER SURGERY REVOVERY
I underwent surgery last February for a torn rotator cuff and severed bicep tendon (I’m pretty sure that how Dr. McCormack described the procedure). He basically repaired it during the scope, expecting to only have to deal w/ the rotator cuff (super-somethingorother???). After 1 month of 100% immobility, I aggressively pursued rehab with Murray Schneider @ Langley Twin Rinks. He helped me through previous knee and back rehabs. Basically, I followed his instruction to the letter, pushing as hard as I could under the limitations he placed on me. Once I got as far as I could with him, I used a personal trainer for 6 sessions. Through his suggestion, I started on creatine, to help recovery, and increase strength. My experience through all this was relatively good. I recovered far quicker than McCormack thought possible, and now I have full strength and about 90% flexibility back to my left shoulder. My only regret was the creatine. Although it helped improve overall strength, the added muscle mass was hard to lose at the start of soccer season. Basically, I’ve gone from 188 lbs in late August to my current playing weight, 172. lbs. That weight was difficult to lose.

CROSS TRAINING
It’s hard to find any activities that can help improve things like quickness, endurance, and recovery than actually playing in game situations. Catch 22: play more, potentially injure yourself more. For the past three seasons, I’ll start out slow, but I’ve found that playing squash almost immediately helps with all areas of my game. You would never think how much a difference it can make, but play squash for an hour once a week for four weeks, and you’d be amazed at how much it can help- specifically with quickness and recovery.

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Dude-where'smycar?
my current playing weight, 172. lbs.

Lightweight;) Good thread idea DWMC. As a recent knee injury has put me out for at least this season. Be interested to know what kind if x-training people have done to come back to be able to be game fit. Looking for people to share stories that had either a MCL, ACL or PCL injury.

skytrainalwaysdoesinjuriesinthrees:(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I injured my MCL & cartilage during 2000 / 2001. Slight tears to both, so not nearly as bad as yours, and no surgery required. I was apparently very lucky it didn’t get worse- injured it in October, and played through till April. Started rehab in May, didn't play until August.

Murray had me on a weight program of leg press, hamstring curls, and calf raises. Also did a lot of balancing / stretching exercises, eventually working up to balancing on a ball. As far as cardio, lots of cycling, but no running or stair climbers allowed. Once he saw enough improvement, he allowed me to start light running and build up. 100% recovery.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
ACL

I tore my ACL off the bone while on the field about 7 years ago. As a younger striker I used to think about holding on to the ball forever until I got killed or did something wonderful which never happened:( .Ironically I tore it just running on my own, turned and wham that was it. I was out of work for 6 months as my job was physical at that time. Rehab was a whole lot of physio. Treadmill for 5 mins walking,10 mins running (slow), ice for 10 mins,then stretch gently for 5,adding in weights but no leg curls as this would tare it up again .Over and over,I worked out 3 times per week for probably 2-3 months.At home I used a large rubber elastic hooked it under something heavy(bed) and did leg extensions. What took the longest for me was being able to straighten my leg as the muscles had tightened and I could not do that. After about 8 months I went back to practice a few times with the boys for div 1, played at home in the teams last game of the year and I scored 4 goals, only never to do it ever again. Now that's proof that it's a total mental game as I had to prove it to my team mates and myself that I could still play at that level. No side effects anymore although 50/50 balls the thought sometimes enters my mind to pull back.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think it was asked to save the piss taking for some where else. If that's what you call what you were doing.

You're welcome Dude.

Physio is for old people like Regs. When I torn my ACL I hired a personal trainer. For me I wanted back ASAP and 6 to 8 months off running and 1 year off soccer was not expectable in my mind. Advertising rights on TTP prevent me for naming my trainer, but I'll tell this he and some serious commitment on my part, had me back on the pitch with-in 6 months of my surgery. Yes, I know I'm a Rock Star. :rolleyes:

Lots of light leg weights, followed by lots of 'core' stabilizing muscle work (Lower abs) That part is key. Once the ligament is torn it'll never be back to what it was so it's important to work the surrounding stabilizing muscles to help compensate. This also includes calves, hammie (huge) Quads etc..Running in the pool was also incorporated.

That's about all I know on the subject. I just did what I was told. For once.

Yoda

Staff member
Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 25, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
KNVB

I guess that proves it. Professional athletes do get special treatment with injuries.

How can you live with yourself.
:(

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Physio vs. Trainers

I think Yoda's comment qualifies as a piss take.

I think there is a place for both. If you can find a good trainer that has a background in Physiotherapy, that's best. My guy is a personal trainer on the side, and also runs a Sports Consulting Business where he conducts musculoskeletal examinations, as well as aerobic capacity & anaerobic power testing. When I broke my leg in '96, I was lucky enough to get in with Alex MacKegnie (8-rinks Physio- now famous for treating Shaq, Paul Kariya, and many, many NBAers, NHLers, and EPLers). His rehab sessions were a grueling workout.

I'm wondering if Regs would waive the "No Advertising" rule to allow us to post recommendations to good trainers and related services in this thread?

Regs?

cainy

Dec 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
PCL

I tore the Postier cruciate ligiament playing in the Coast league a couple seasons ago. Terrible injury, doesn't happen often, usually in head on car crashes when your shin hits the dash, and your thigh/ femor goes over the top. It was a 50/50 with a goalie. I had thirty eight staples and a straight legged cast for almost 3 months. When the cast came off my leg looked smaller than my arm. It took me almost two months on the stationary bike in front of the T.V just to be able to fully bend my leg. Needless to say I took a year off from the game, and started coaching PAU until I was able to play again. I did alot of stair master, and light squats, no leg extensions. I still have alot of pain and swelling but for the most part get by OK. I try to train light when I can and still swim for cardio at least twice a week, less impact. Stretching and icing regular is key, plus advil like smarties:( Thank fcuk it's my left leg, not my tackleing or shooting leg. I wouldn't have another surgery on his leg it would be my third, so if I go down again I'm done, My advise to anyone who has to have a knee reconstruction is layoff for a year and work hard at stengthening, plus lower your expectations.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cainy,

Why did you get the staples put in? Obviously, there was a break too? I tore my PCL in '87 and we tried strengthening all the appropriate muscle groups. I didn't like the results so we decided to go through with the surgery. I was out for 14 months. I did all the aforementioned rehab techniques and couldn't get back any sooner. Fortunately, I was able to play at about the same level as before but the last 3 knee operations(2 cartilege, 1 clean-up job) have taken their toll.

I had reconstructive ligament surgery on my right ankle in 1991, and went through another 12 month rehab. Exercising in the pool was very important in this recovery. In 1993, I had back surgery, which of course put me out for 10 months. This was a very tough rehab program because it was so isolated. However, my physio program, as tough as it was, helped me get back sooner than expected...

I am struggling a lot now obviously with these surgeries and should not be playing but as long as I can move at 1/2 speed, I will continue to play.....:rolleyes:

Dude, can the TTPers list their injuries/surgeries they have received over the years? That might be interesting....I will start if I'm allowed.

1)Left knee - cartilege repair
2)Right knee - Posterior Cruciate Ligament reconstruction
3)Right knee - cartilege repair
4)Right ankle - reconstructive ligament surgery
5)Left ankle - surgery to clean out bone spurs
6)Right knee - clean up of floating meniscus
7)Back - surgery to remove to pieces of a disc that broke from the L5, S1 and were sitting on my sciatic nerve
8)Right knee - scope to clean out cartilege, effectively leaving my knee with no cartilege
9)Nose - surgery to repair a deviated septum, after the bugle had been broken 3 times

Other than that, my health has been great.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's a nice list Captain. Mine's not as accomplished as yours:

· Broken right tib / fib (shin). No surgery (now they almost always operate for that). Full leg cast, 6 months. Half cast, 3 months. Given the choice now, I’d take the knife.
· Car accident. Result: herniated disks, T5 & T7 (I think…neck region). No soccer for 2 years, then got sick of listening to doctors and started back playing anyhow. Took a long time to play pain free, but eventually, things worked out. Best thing I’ve ever done…still have problems occasionally, but nothing I don’t know how to treat.
· Fractured left ankle, no surgery, 6 months off soccer to rehab.
· Broken ankle, right (tib & fib). Surgery: plate & screws. Still have ‘em in there…going to show them to the grandkids one day. One year off soccer.
· Herniated discs, lower back. Wear and tear injury from mountain biking. 5 weeks off soccer to rehab. Now follow pretty strict stretching program to avoid more problems.
· MCL partial tear. No surgery needed. Took 4 months off soccer to fix- 100% recovered.
· Separated left shoulder (crash in DH race), resulting in torn rotator cuff & severed bicep tendon. Scope / repair. Rehab ~ 3 months, and the reason I didn’t win the TTP long drive competition.:rolleyes:
· Separated right shoulder, awkward fall in soccer. No MRI yet, but suspect some tears in the rotator cuff. Too early too tell- hoping X-Mas break rest will do the trick.
· Broken nose, couple of times. Several fractured fingers, toes, thumbs, wrists…the hand injuries are all riding related.

I think I’m very lucky to have avoided bad knee injuries. All in all, I feel a lot older than I really am (28 going on 45). Hot baths almost every morning to loosen up…like Cainy says, Advil like Smarties.

The key for me is to always try and keep active, because getting back into shape after a layoff is getting harder and harder!

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
do you mean it reads? unless it can speak

D o you mean it reads? The computer doesn't read but I do. And FYI, my computer is able to speak. It can't read but it can speak. That should be the end of this trivial 'conversation'. :cool:

Skytrain

Aug 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good to here someone has come back from PCL injury

Originally posted by cainy
I tore the Postier cruciate ligiament playing ......My advise to anyone who has to have a knee reconstruction is layoff for a year and work hard at stengthening, plus lower your expectations.

Good to hear that you could have a good possibility of coming back after a PCL injury. Still awaiting surgery for both my PCL and ACL. Nothing they can do for my torn MCL. Docs advise that currently my concern is the PCL.

Don't like to have to lower my expectations:(

Dude, Captain

Nice list of injuries:eek: here's my short list (not in any order)

-ACL, PCL, MCL (all done from the same slide tackle)
-broken bones in foot
-3 broken right collar bones
-broken cheakbone(sp) - reconstructed with some metal and junk
-broken bone above right eye - again more metal and junk
-15+ concussions(sp) mainly due to broken bone to right eye
-when playing against PoCo many years ago, the hecklers on the sidelines hurt my feelings
-car accident don't know exact details but was paralyzed from waist down for approx 4 hours (bad thoughts the entire time) and left me in a brace for two months
-stitches same as most, fun counting the first hundred, every hundred after that is just a bonus:rolleyes:
-broken nose

that's the injury list and won't bore you with the other hospital visits, (ie ~ blood posioning from spider bites:eek: )

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Broken bones? PCLs? ACLs? You guys must be fragile. I only incur injuries to my face and still, they can't stop me. No broken bones, one ligament tear(hand: mountain biking)but: Scar on bridge of nose, scar on tip of nose, scar on side of nose, scar extending from far right eyebrow halfway across then further extended farther across forehead at different time, scar on upper lip, scar on chin below lip, scar on left side chin, huge vertical on forehead (excellent Doctor, can hardly fcuking see it!). Disclaimer: I was gunned at every acquistion of scar and no pain was felt during the making of this facial roadmap.

P.s.The new steroidal scar reducers are quite effective nowadays.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0

Latest posts