Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Trade deadline 2010 for Canucks

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're perhaps a bit far away for a thread for the entire NHL's deadline, but a cool article by Matt Sekeres caught my eye today... Some rumormongering for sure... but good evidence is provided.

Perhaps we are looking at

To STL:
Corey Schneider (.984M Hit, 1 more year)
Matthieu Schneider (1.55M Hit, UFA and retire after this year)
Pavol Demitra (4.0 M Hit, UFA at year end) or Steve Bernier (2.0M hit, 1 yr left)

To Van:
David Backes (2.5M hit, 1 year left then RFA)
Daryl Sydor (1.0 M hit, UFA at year end)

I'd say for sure if you could Move Demitra's contract for one more rental player and to get a useable D man... The trade would really be Corey Schneider and Something for Backes...

There was also talk of the Rangers looking to acquire the services of Pavol Demitra just around christmas time too... Perhaps there is a package to be explored there, problem is to get anything of value from the Rangers you'd need to also swallow a monster useless contract too (See Drury, Redden, Roszival, etc)

TheBoss

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
We're perhaps a bit far away for a thread for the entire NHL's deadline, but a cool article by Matt Sekeres caught my eye today... Some rumormongering for sure... but good evidence is provided.

Perhaps we are looking at

To STL:
Corey Schneider (.984M Hit, 1 more year)
Matthieu Schneider (1.55M Hit, UFA and retire after this year)
Pavol Demitra (4.0 M Hit, UFA at year end) or Steve Bernier (2.0M hit, 1 yr left)

To Van:
David Backes (2.5M hit, 1 year left then RFA)
Daryl Sydor (1.0 M hit, UFA at year end)

I'd say for sure if you could Move Demitra's contract for one more rental player and to get a useable D man... The trade would really be Corey Schneider and Something for Backes...

There was also talk of the Rangers looking to acquire the services of Pavol Demitra just around christmas time too... Perhaps there is a package to be explored there, problem is to get anything of value from the Rangers you'd need to also swallow a monster useless contract too (See Drury, Redden, Roszival, etc)
As nice as Sydor would be.. I don't think this deal in particular addresses the Canucks needs. We can use the depth in the back, but I think that a good third line center should be the goal for Gillis come the deadline. That way Wellfed can be waived and it adds some more offensive punch outside the top 6.
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Grabner Kesler Demitra
Raymond (new addition) Sammuelson
Glass Rypien Bernier

Obviously could be a bit of a stretch with Grabner but he looked great before the injury, and last I heard he was conditioning with the Moose...IF he can't return.. Raymond or Samuelson become interchangeable on the second line.. and Bernier moves back to the third and hansen slides in on the 4th.Pretty Deadly lineup as far as i am concerned

TheBoss

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Raymond is so streaky that he could be demoted to the third line....Vigneualt loves to mix his lines up,so to say they won't be split up may be a bit off base.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Boss, FYI: David Backes is a Centre. ;)
6'3, 225, fast, mean, and can score (This year has been abysmal for the blues young guns save maybe david perron) If he gets a 3rd line support role instead of having to play upwards of 20 minutes a night on a poor team he could flourish again, maybe just a change of scenery (See Pouliot for Latendresse trade)

The Nucks also need help and depth on the Blueline since Matthieu Schnieder pulled his stunt, with Bieksa out long term. Sydor is a perfect addition as a 6th for now and 7th come playoffs or when Bieksa is back.

If you send Corey Schneider, Steve Bernier, and Mathieu Schneider to STL for Backes Sydor and a conditional pick you'd have...

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Raymond Kesler Samuellsson
Demitra Backes Hansen
Rypien Johnson Glass
Extra: Wellwood(depth), Hordichuk(wouldn't play come playoffs anyways)

Mitchell Bieksa
Ehrhoff Edler
Sydor Salo
O'Brien & Lukowich as spares.

You still have Shirokov, Grabner, Bolduc, and Bliznak on the farm for up front and Oberg and Rome for the back end in case of a crisis.

That isn't a team i would want to play against come playoff time.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
As nice as Sydor would be.. I don't think this deal in particular addresses the Canucks needs. We can use the depth in the back, but I think that a good third line center should be the goal for Gillis come the deadline. That way Wellfed can be waived and it adds some more offensive punch outside the top 6.
Sedin Sedin Burrows
Grabner Kesler Demitra
Raymond (new addition) Sammuelson
Glass Rypien Bernier

Obviously could be a bit of a stretch with Grabner but he looked great before the injury, and last I heard he was conditioning with the Moose...IF he can't return.. Raymond or Samuelson become interchangeable on the second line.. and Bernier moves back to the third and hansen slides in on the 4th.Pretty Deadly lineup as far as i am concerned

as nice as sydor would be? u kidding right? dude almost 40

gillis has a hard on for Backes....

I say swap sydor with oshie and we are good

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yeah... Sure...

And Gillis is all of the below: Ninja, Jedi Knight, Hypnotist, has pictures of John Davidson with a donkey in a compromising position...

We give them a promising goalie prospect for two proven NHL Young Guns that are struggling in a bad situation?

Get Real.

We'd have to give up a TON for Oshie and Backes... and then how do you resign those two along with Kesler at the end of next season?

Sydor is a cup winning defenseman that would be DEPTH, as in 6th Dman now and 7th once Bieksa is back, as high as 5th if Obrien's play slips while others are hurt.

You keep Sydor at under 8 minutes a game and he will invaluable as he is still very mobile.

Gillis needs to add right now, not overhaul the seemingly good chemistry they have now

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I like the look of the trade. Throw them Ryan Johnson for a bag of pucks and sign those papers. Fukc I don't want to hear anyone talking about Johnson as being a useful player, seriously one of the worst players in the NHL, complete shite and the downfall of our PK when he returns tonight.

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
:rolleyes:yeah cause the Matthieu Schneider experiment worked so well:eek:

oshie aint gonna command alot of money...... yet..... he had one good year so far and has shite the bed in is follow up year....

st louis needs a goalie

I think we hold the chips

swampdonkey

Oct 1, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with Polska - Sydor is garbage and has been for about four years. I'd play Lukowich and O'Brien everyday over him. Backes has an upside and is enticing...so give them Hansen, Wellwood, and Glass they're all junk.

Why is Schneider even in the mix...St. Louis has goaltending Mason is solid it's the D in front of him that are useless.

TheBoss

Mar 31, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franchise, just had a quick look and my fantasy league had Backes listed as a RW.. Double checked now on NHL.com and he is infact a Center. My bad. I am not sure how interested St.louis would be to trade him to us after the little offer shite fiasco from a couple years ago.Although I do agree he would fill the void on the third line.I think making Hansen a third line player is being pretty generous considering he's had minimal success this year.Rather see Grabner a bit more because he actually has scoring touch. Polska you most definitely misunderstood what I said. I said as nice as Sydor would be.. meaning(he would be nice as depth come playoff time) I obviously didn't mean the Canucks would have to give up much to get him. Swap Oshie and Sydor..You must have lost your mind.. or your one of the countless Canuck fans that over values a non-NHL proven goalie prospect (Schneider).

Polska

Not Bright
Sep 10, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree with Polska - Sydor is garbage and has been for about four years. I'd play Lukowich and O'Brien everyday over him. Backes has an upside and is enticing...so give them Hansen, Wellwood, and Glass they're all junk.

Why is Schneider even in the mix...St. Louis has goaltending Mason is solid it's the D in front of him that are useless.

mason is 33 and their top prospect aint panning out

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Polska, holding the chips? No... they are. they are the one out of the playoffs in a sellers market with the assets.

As far as them parting with Centres, they have too many, which is why they have Oshie playing the wing a lot...

They need a goalie, but if the Nucks go and try to jack them there are other goalies out there. Schneider is just the best goalie playing outside the NHL, it is very easily that Jason LaBarbera could be the best goalie outside the NHL had he not made the move to Phoenix this year.... Schneider has proved he is the best in the AHL, but the A is a lot different that the Show.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Farhan Lalji from TSN reporting Pavol Demitra is in play/being shopped/used as bait.

Makes sense, his stock will never be higher again in his career coming off those olympics and last nights continued good performances...

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
But if he continues playing this way he'd look great in the Nucks uni. But we need a top 4 d-man with Mitchell's status unknown.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'd agree...

Perhaps a little deal with STL... get a Centre (Oshie, berglund, or Backes) and either Brewer (a total rental as he is a UFA at year end) or Jackman (1 year left with a cap hit in line with Bieksa's and Mitchell's)

I'd give up Corey Schneider, Michael Grabner, and depending on which centre a roster player.prospect along with a second...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0