Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Time for new blood

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wings said:
This happened to us for the last game we played, except it was West Van. Quite the trek from Maple Ridge...We found out on the Tuesday...

BUT...We scraped together 11 players and headed out there...Sometimes you just gotta do what you can to play the game...There are some teams out there who would rather bitch and moan than put in the effort it takes to rearrange thier schedule and get to the game. I understand that sometimes it just isn't possible, but it isn't always the case.

Totally understand, Wings.........we've done that on a couple of occasions after the break and prepared for another(last Sunday with our div. 1 team). We were told there was NO game on the 18th only to be told we were playing Sunday at 2:00, only finding out Wednesday. We were able to field a team but it was the other team's home game, as we had already played them on a Friday night. As it turned out, the pitch was closed and our game was postponed........hopefully we don't get charged with a forfeit for that one. :rolleyes:

coachrich

Nov 14, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard "And why should it be? Hockey - with similar registration figures and similar facility issues - is a seven-day-a-week, anytime of night sport."

Rep'ing youth soccer at the Vancouver Field Sport Federation, I totally agree w/ you on the lack of facilities in Vancouver!!! Sadly it's something the soccer community as a whole is at fault for by not asking or doing anything about over the last 5 decades while on the other hand Ice Hockey & other sports in Vancouver have done well.

Since 2003 the COV has & is building 4 new ice rinks (48 Million), 2 swimming pools, a community center & etc. Sure some of this falls under the Legacy of the Olympics but where it equality in taxation.

Example is in Vancouver there are 50, 000 field users w/ the majority being soccer at 10, 000 of which youth is 7,300. BC wide there are only 55,000 ice hockey players vs soccer w/ 124,405. Use these numbers & the size of ice hockey in Vancouver is probably about 5,000. I would suggest that soccer has been shafted if you use equality in taxation.

In my TV interview w/ BCTV it was pointed out that Vancouver to just support soccer they need 12- 16 ATs. Which is still not comparable to Richmond which has 666 players per AT & Burnaby which is probably about 800 players per AT.

Bottomline Fat Bastard is you are right that adult soccer has to get creative on using nights & etc as youth soccer has primetime & will continue to put demands on facilities. On the flip side, in getting soccers fair share of tax dollars for new efficient fields like AT's, youth will be the key to putting pressure on politicans as youth soccer has been neglected completely when compared to other sports the COV has dumped tons of money on.

I encourage all of you in Vancouver to get involved in getting new efficient fields like AT's. If you want to know who is organizing the Men or the Women on this, PM me.

BACK TO THE POST- IMO CI got burnt on this one that was handled in the board room. Also, like Wings states there should maybe be different rules than the 10 day notice for make ups. Again, for me the rules need to be in the Operating Rules to be fair to everyone.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Once again, CoachRich........a meaty post. :)

And yes, you're right. We have been burnt big time on this and the President knows this..........

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Okay, okay, okay. So you want an example of fcuked up leadership?

I'm just going through the MWSL Cup elimination scoreboard and discover that in the Premier Cup there was a strange match up going on. At the end of the round robin the cup went directly to 2 semi-final games. However the match ups were the two group winners in one semi and the two group 2nd place finishers in the other.

Who on Earth runs this shamble of a show?

Wings

Sep 5, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
At the end of the round robin the cup went directly to 2 semi-final games. However the match ups were the two group winners in one semi and the two group 2nd place finishers in the other.

What??? Isn't one of the perks of being first place that you get to play a lower ranking team?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Another blunder to add to the list...Hopefully this one will get sorted before the games actually happen.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
Okay, okay, okay. So you want an example of fcuked up leadership?

I'm just going through the MWSL Cup elimination scoreboard and discover that in the Premier Cup there was a strange match up going on. At the end of the round robin the cup went directly to 2 semi-final games. However the match ups were the two group winners in one semi and the two group 2nd place finishers in the other.

Being one of those premier teams that played in the League Cup semis, I was a little confused when I saw the standings as well. Surrey and Coquitlam were tied on points but the website had Coq in 1st which I figured was based on goal differential. But the MWSL told Surrey that we finished first since the head to head went to Surrey based on the win in PK's.

We would have preferred 2nd place and a match-up against Westside rather than UBC/Surrey FC in the semis but in the end it didn't matter. The least the MWSL could have done was corrected the website but as always that would probably be expecting too much. :rolleyes:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wings said:
What??? Isn't one of the perks of being first place that you get to play a lower ranking team?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Another blunder to add to the list...Hopefully this one will get sorted before the games actually happen.

:D :D :D That would be logical. We can't have that. Right, big man?

coachrich

Nov 14, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Seems to me that MWSL had set precedence in the playdowns but yours is has been changed. What did they Email you that is different that what they have posted in the Competion Rules as it's worthy of a protest as they have published the rules of competition than changed them see below -

Cup Rules
CUP RULES ROUND ROBIN PLAY The first part of the competition is Round Robin play.

Points are awarded as follows, 3 for a win, 1 for a tie plus a bonus point for a shootout winner.
Tied games go directly to a Shootout. NO OVERTIME. The winner of the shootout will be awarded 1 additional point.
NO INTER-CLUB TRANSFERS OR YOUTH TO SENIOR PERMITS ARE ALLOWED IN CUP PLAY.
Tie Breaker Rules 1. Two or more teams tied on points, winner of game between the teams is awarded the higher position in the standings.
2. Two or more teams tied on points after TB #1, the team with best goal difference wins (+ -) is awarded the higher position in the standings.
3. Two or more teams tied on points after TB #2, the team with most goals scored for, is awarded the higher position in the standings.
4. If the tie is not broken by the above then we will do a coin toss. CUP RULES
KNOCKOUT ROUND
The winner of each game moves on to the next round. The loser is out of the competition.
If at the end of 90 minutes the game is tied, TEAMS WILL GO DIRECT TO A SHOOTOUT

FINAL ONLY - TIED AT END OF 90 MINUTES - OVERTIME - SHOOTOUT.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
coachrich said:
Seems to me that MWSL had set precedence in the playdowns but yours is has been changed. What did they Email you that is different that what they have posted in the Competion Rules as it's worthy of a protest as they have published the rules of competition than changed them see below -

Cup Rules
CUP RULES ROUND ROBIN PLAY The first part of the competition is Round Robin play.

Points are awarded as follows, 3 for a win, 1 for a tie plus a bonus point for a shootout winner.
Tied games go directly to a Shootout. NO OVERTIME. The winner of the shootout will be awarded 1 additional point.
NO INTER-CLUB TRANSFERS OR YOUTH TO SENIOR PERMITS ARE ALLOWED IN CUP PLAY.
Tie Breaker Rules 1. Two or more teams tied on points, winner of game between the teams is awarded the higher position in the standings.
2. Two or more teams tied on points after TB #1, the team with best goal difference wins (+ -) is awarded the higher position in the standings.
3. Two or more teams tied on points after TB #2, the team with most goals scored for, is awarded the higher position in the standings.
4. If the tie is not broken by the above then we will do a coin toss. CUP RULES
KNOCKOUT ROUND
The winner of each game moves on to the next round. The loser is out of the competition.
If at the end of 90 minutes the game is tied, TEAMS WILL GO DIRECT TO A SHOOTOUT

FINAL ONLY - TIED AT END OF 90 MINUTES - OVERTIME - SHOOTOUT.

Tut tut tut......imagine that, changing rules or making things up........That's unpossible.

Ralph Wiggum

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As I mentioned you can see that despite the standings posted on the website, the league failed to match 1v2 and 1v2. Instead they scheduled 1v1 and 2v2. Now, what does the league think the point of working hard to come first is for?

Morons.

Attachments

• mwslpremiercupstandings.jpg
    mwslpremiercupstandings.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 83
  • mwslpremiercupschedule.jpg
    mwslpremiercupschedule.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 76

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Also, the league could save themselves and their members a lot of hassle and hardship in securing playing times/fields if they finally just get rid of the silly "Consolation Rounds".

What is the point of these games? Why does the league insist on crowning a team as being the best of the losers? Get rid of them and free up some fields for make up games instead!

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Here's the solution that I promoted ten years ago. But alas it fell on deaf ears.

1. No Premier Cup. (I promoted it originally. Now wish I hadn't.) It's a waste of time. It has no bearing on anything. (Give a Provincial Cup berth to the winner, and then you might have something.) Premier teams would rather just player more League games, at least they mean something. (Or better yet, how about we wrap up League and Provincial by the middle of April, instead of dragging things out until April. Thank you BC Soccer. That's another story.)

2. Make League Cup optional. Treat it like FA Cup. Designate one weekend per month for Cup play. Start with lower division teams facing off, then add in the higher division teams until you get to all interested teams into it. Single-knockout. FVSL men have run the Packenham Cup and Presidents Cup like this for years. Back, back in the day, I was on a team that did well in both cups. Sure, it makes for a busy season (three games on Thanksgiving weekend; and 12 games in the month of March), but it works better than this set up.

3. With less teams in Cup, and Cup play spread out over the course of the season, League could schedule more league games - or in the case of this year, actually finish their original schedule.

Cup play was intended to give teams more games. The consolation round, which I don't like, was an extension of that - ie. give MORE teams, MORE games. But couldn't we do the same with an extrended league schedule - or larger divisional groups - say 12 teams instead of eight (means 22 league games)?

The bottom line is this. Each team pays the same amount to play in this league. In my opinion, they are all entitled to play the same amount of League games. Cup play should be a bonus (even if you charge more for it). And the league has an obligation to get ALL league games played some way or another.

One other step --- give the teams more freedom to arrange make-ups. That would alleviate alot of pressure off the scheduler - especially at this time of year, or during a bad winter for weather.

FB out.

FBfailedatfixingMWSL---willworkonworldpeace,it'seasier.

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
The consolation cup is the biggest joke around. Who the fukc cares about winning the B cup? More league games = better teams being promoted without the hassle of forfeiting.

Work on the world peace Linfield style (check out the SPL thread)

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
One Dart said:
The consolation cup is the biggest joke around. Who the fukc cares about winning the B cup? More league games = better teams being promoted without the hassle of forfeiting.

Work on the world peace Linfield style (check out the SPL thread)

Aye, and you and your brother are ****ing sacks for costing me a shag tonight AND $100.

Yes, the consolation cup is a joke and I really wish we weren't in it this weekend. Guess what we could be doing at that time or next week when Burnaby Canadians are playing in the ****ing consolation cup FINAL. Speaking of oxymorons????? We could be finishing the game that the league decided to fcuk up against Burnaby. I wonder how they're going to deal with the field closures this weekend. I guess we'll have to play AFTER the big consolation cup weekend. :rolleyes:

Shambles/Debacle CSC

Wings

Sep 5, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree that the Consolation Cup should get the shaft...We won the Consolation Cup last year (yay!!:rolleyes: ) and what did it get us?? Nothing!!! Sure we were happy that we still got to play games, but we would have been just as happy finishing up our actual League and Make-up games so that our standings may have been better. Sure, in the grand scheme of things, League standings mean shite unless you're at the top or the bottom, but it's still more meaningful than being the best of the losers.

nutmegs

Nov 4, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard said:
Here's the solution that I promoted ten years ago. But alas it fell on deaf ears.

1. No Premier Cup. (I promoted it originally. Now wish I hadn't.) It's a waste of time. It has no bearing on anything. (Give a Provincial Cup berth to the winner, and then you might have something.) Premier teams would rather just player more League games, at least they mean something. (Or better yet, how about we wrap up League and Provincial by the middle of April, instead of dragging things out until April. Thank you BC Soccer. That's another story.)

The premier cup actually does mean something this year as the winner gets the first seed in the provincials (rather than the first in the league). Of course they didn't let anyone know about this until later in the year which must have really pissed off the up-till-then undefeated Surrey FC Alumni. :D

BTW, you just want the league to end earlier so you can get all the premier players out to training for your PCSL team. :eek:

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Keeper said:
Also, the league could save themselves and their members a lot of hassle and hardship in securing playing times/fields if they finally just get rid of the silly "Consolation Rounds".

What is the point of these games? Why does the league insist on crowning a team as being the best of the losers? Get rid of them and free up some fields for make up games instead!

I completely agree...if make up games are needed, I find that to be way more important for teams looking to move up than being crowned the winners of the losers! It's hard enough to find a pitch as is, let alone make room for consolation games...who cares?!

Anybody sick of the rain yet? ARGH!!!!!!!! :mad:

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Making the Premier Cup worth something is actually a good move. But they probably should have made the decision public at the start. And given that little tidbit of information, they probably should have then got the damn semi-final matchups correct too.

And yes, if the Provincials wrapped up in April it would help my PCSL team. But the fact is, BC Soccer is actually constitutionally obligated to have the Provincials completed by the end of the winter season. I do know for a fact that the MWSL has lobbied in the past to have the womens final moved ahead by a few weeks - as it even interferes with their spring league.

What I find ironic is that the argument was because they wanted the mens and womens finals to be held at the same time. So they tell the womens league to f--- off, and then they go and move the mens final back three weeks.

spongebobhotpants

Aug 30, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
So I am one of the many who find the consulation round a big waste o' time. we are in much need of make up games instead of this whoo hoo lets win a headband round of cup play. We needed the make-up games to advance and sadly we won't get them so a team who has two defaults against them (= 10 automatic goals for games they didn't even have to play) advances up!
On another note ,, who has heard of a ref saying "ok you have 1 more substituiton left in the game" He gives us this warning we make one sub and then they tie it up we'd like to make another to perhaps put some shooters on for penatlies but don't get the option. (who'd a thought they'd tie it up) What I am asking is Is this a rule in MWSL where the ref decides when the last subsitution is?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0