Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Time for new blood

hotspur

Nov 2, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Any takers for running for president of our league? I think it's time for some new blood running the show. I'd vote for just about anyone to have Bob Cormack ousted off his throne.

spongebobhotpants

Aug 30, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I've been here 13 years and he's been the top dog all that time. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.
It would be nice to see someone else step up same with the rest of the crew, ie scheduler- she should have at least a second in command in case of mix-ups which frequently happen here. Seems nobody wants to relequish control

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Folks:

From what other people have said, it sounds like the current cadre kept getting re-elected because nobody is running against them. I've said this before: if you don't run, you get the executive you deserve.

SpongeBob, Hotspur: are either of you running for office? How about Wings? Not meaning to be obnoxious, but if you don't like how things are run, especially if you've been playing in the league for 13 years, step up to the plate and do something about it.

Sort it out, ladies....;)

Tio Cranky

LFC2

Sep 8, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
trece verde said:
Folks:

From what other people have said, it sounds like the current cadre kept getting re-elected because nobody is running against them. I've said this before: if you don't run, you get the executive you deserve.

SpongeBob, Hotspur: are either of you running for office? How about Wings? Not meaning to be obnoxious, but if you don't like how things are run, especially if you've been playing in the league for 13 years, step up to the plate and do something about it.

Sort it out, ladies....;)

Tio Cranky

Agree. Every AGM I have ever been to you can hear a pin drop when noinations are called for.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There were two people who were nominated two years ago but were told....

" Okay, the committee will vote on it."

The two members then asked....."So, every team is not allowed to vote on it?"

"No, it's something that our committee would vote on."

That's why the league is set the way it is. Seriously, you couldn't make it up.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Is the MWSL an incorporated society? If so, one would believe that actions like what Alikira described would contravene the Societies Act (i.e. the concepts that a registered organization is required to provide regular financial statements and hold regular elections amongst its membership - you know, little things like that...).

Any thoughts?

Trece

Riderz18

Oct 3, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Time for new blood......YES but how do you get there if the people on the committee are the one's that vote you in or not because they showed up? That is why you have to go to a GM meeting and put in your vote or nominate yourself.
In their defence I do have to say they put a lot of time and effort into trying to keep this league going and it may have many flaws but I dont see anyone trying to make a change or move over to another league when one was suggested? So perhaps instead of bitching about all the bad focus on the good and at the next GM run for something at least you then can say you tried. There is always an alternative but it doesnt come without hard work and committement and if it is easier to stand back and complain than thats what happens.If you want change you have to do something about it.So far I have seen oppertunities come up and no one stepped up to it. So I think the next GM I will run for a position on the Board and see what happens at best I can say I stepped up.

Rosco

Nov 4, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
alikira said:
There were two people who were nominated two years ago but were told....

" Okay, the committee will vote on it."

The two members then asked....."So, every team is not allowed to vote on it?"

"No, it's something that our committee would vote on."

That's why the league is set the way it is. Seriously, you couldn't make it up.

that's not quite right. the attendees at the meeting vote in the board and the board decides who among those elected will take which position. this is a common practice.

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rosco said:
that's not quite right. the attendees at the meeting vote in the board and the board decides who among those elected will take which position. this is a common practice.

I was at the meeting. I know what I heard.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rosco's right; that's the way it should be done. However:

I was at the meeting. I know what I heard.

It probably was what you heard. Which once again, begs my question and point about how badly borked up this league is. Surely their bylaws/constitution must be available to the people who pay their bills to view re elections? If not it should be demanded that they be made so, and then followed. Make them squirm.

Despite the overwhelming apathy of the league's membership, and the minimal disgruntlement of players and coaches who come on to post here, the players in the MWSL do deserve better, and it's really up to those of you who are unhappy with the status quo to effect that change.

Well?

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
sliders18 said:
...it may have many flaws but I dont see anyone trying to make a change or move over to another league when one was suggested?

i must have missed that memo...what new league?

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
OK. Here's what I know.

I began my involvement with MWSL 10 years ago. Bob Cormack has been on the board for all of that time, and for some years before that. At that time, Rob Gibson was president. And he had been for a long time. Rob did a very good job establishing the MWSL as a legitimate political force in BC Soccer - do you know that the MWSL controls 1/4 of all the votes at BCSA general meeting?

However, there were some breakdowns between the MWSL and BCSA, and the MWSL and new Womens coach Even Pellerud. The board narrowly elected a new president, Mike Wethersett. He served for one year. I think that was the MWSL's best year - a Premier all-star game with all nat coaches in attendance, a sponsor for the cup final weekend (Soccercity), and some other good things.

The following year, there was mass resignation from the board, in large part due to the inability to provide proper financial statements, not just to the board but to the membership, as is required. There were other issues surrounding the relationship between directors, particularly those directors running the office and those who focused more on big picture policy.

Afterwards, Rob Gibson was once again named president. He served for a few more years until Bob Cormack was named president. And that's where you are today.

I would like to say that for the most part, the MWSL does a tremendous job of administering recreational womens soccer for the Lower Mainland and Fraser Valley. They have dozens upon dozens of teams, and they go so far as to arrange fields, referees and scheduling. In my opinion, where the MWSL falls far short has been the Premier Division, and helping it to develop. I also think they have dropped the ball when it comes to issues of cup play, communication with teams and some scheduling issues.

As for the elections, they occur at the AGM. Nominations can be made ahead of time or from the floor. Every member (team) in attendance gets a vote. You vote for directors - not positions. The board elects the various positions in camera at the first meeting.

To be perfectly honest about this, I can't see them deviating from this, not with Gord Rogers involved. He's pretty well versed in these issues and a stickler for ethics.

In any case, change in an organization is good. New blood means new ideas. But it doesn't happen by itself: you need to stand up and put your money where your mouth is. Don't ask if anyone is running. Run yourself. Hell, actually go to a meeting. AND STAY. Half the freaking teams leave before they get to election time. And ask questions. Don't like the financials? Ask a question. Something doesn't look right? Call them on it. That's what the AGM is for. As much as I enjoy Take the Piss, you're not going to get anything done pisstaking here.

One last thing, if you have concern about how an AGM is run, ask BC Soccer to send someone out to observe. The MWSL is ultimately responsible to the BCSA.

Riderz18

Oct 3, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
striker14 said:
i must have missed that memo...what new league?
Yes ......I had started the process by doing an inquirey on how many teams would like to move over to a league in the Valley as to take some of the load off of MWSL and also as to not have to make the drive over the bridge as traffic is getting really bad. So I sent out a flyer with info. on it of this venture and on it had a place for team managers and players whatever to sign.In doing that would have supported the effort and money it would have taken me to take on this venture. I had contacted the FVML to find out if that would work and they hadent an issue with it. Field's,Ref's details would have to be worked out and people would have to committ to being on the board as to get things started etc..... I had a constitution drafted up and everything. But I had only 2 teams email me and showed great interest in this idea as they had been dicked around many times by Bob and MWSL about getting their team into the MWSL league at all. Obviously 2 teams and not including mine was not enough to put this venture into motion. I also took a whole lot of flack from Bob himself due to some team manager sending him the flyer and he was sooooo pissed at me for impyling he and the league was unorganized. The intent for me was to help make things better by taking off some of the burden of such a big league now faces and spreading out into another league in the Valley.I do beleive this is an alternative to what we have now.So if anyone wants to be a part of it then step up and make a comittement. I am not going to put myself out there alone to dry again but I would defenately help make it happen as I truly think this is the direction the womens teams are headed.It is a good thing to have to expand not a bad thing and it should be embrassed as soccer is becoming a much bigger sport than it has been.

Cheers:)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't know the details. But I read in the minutes of a BCSA Board meeting (available online at their website) that approval had been given to the formation of the "Abbotsford Womens Soccer League." Like I said, don't know anything about it.

One thing that teams should know about leaving the MWSL. The mens league's won't babysit. Unlike the MWSL where they get alot of fields and such, teams are asked to be a little more self-sufficient in the FVSL and VMSL than they are by the MWSL.

The FVSL has been approached before about this. Unfortunately, it always hit some kind of snag.

Several years ago a fellow in Langley tried to set up his own league. It was a good idea, but he was also rebelling against BC Soccer (bad idea). He never got off the ground, because unaffiliated leagues just don't work (no referees, no insurance, etc.).

Make no mistake, setting up a league is alot of work. Don't underestimate, I was part of a group that tried it last summer for Under 21. We finally latched onto the PCSL. Doing it on our own was just so much of an effort.

Riderz18

Oct 3, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
You make a good point just what I was saying. It would take a lot of work. The reason I didnt take it on was because no one else was willing to get involved.
But still everyone keeps going on about how messed up MWSL is and what should be done but when an alternative comes up everyone is quiet.
So it boils down to this SHUT UP and PUT UP or STAND UP.Deal with what we have and be happy there are players that come from many area's and even our adjoinng Country to play in our league because they dont have one down there and I dont hear them complaining.You want to see some changes you think you can make a difference then do it.
Talk the talk but no walk?:confused:

FYI that wasnt directed to you FAT Basturd:)

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am as critical as they come, but I do think that people don't really understand just how much work is involved in running this league. Over 200 teams. All of them having to play each weekend. That's up to 100 games, 100 referees and 100 fields.

If the MWSL is guilty of anything it's unchecked expansion. In trying to be everything to everyone they have overextended themselves. The MWSL is at a point where I think it have gone beyond the scope of a volunteer board. Quite frankly, they need a paid administrator, an Executive Director, if you will, who can be charged with the responsibility of making sure the league runs as smoothly as the directors, and the members, would like.

They already pay office staff, the scheduler and the referee schedulers. Why not hire someone to be responsible for all of it?

Riderz18

Oct 3, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Right on Fat basturd.
Exactly what I'm saying the league is too big for what it has become and for mainly volunteer's to run that's crazy.
But they do need to take a look at what could be done to accomidate the growing needs of all the teams and the teams that have been trying to get into the league. And basically get help with what they have now. I tip my hat to all the people who have played a major part in the league getting to this point however there is the need now to expand.
I don't know how it will happen all I have to say is I support playing in the league now and will continue but I will support branching out some how to the Valley.
Thanks for your constructive reflection.

:wa:

Wings

Sep 5, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Fat Bastard hit the nail on the head. Someone needs to be paid to keep everything and everyone in check. To give that responsibility to a volunteer, who could wash their hands of everything at any moment if they wanted to, is not a reliable or productive system.

And in reality, the League itself is run quite well...it's just a few components that have slipped through the cracks. Namely, timely distribution of the schedule to ALL TEAMS in ALL DIVISIONS, and the "sentences" handed out by the disciplinary committee. As far as I can see, everything else seems to run relatively smoothly.

Fat Bastard

Aug 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the topic of discipline. Doesn't the MWSL follow the CSA/BCSA Discipline Guidelines, which says how many games for each type of offence?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0