Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Vancouver Canucks 2003/2004

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just checked. Bert Scored 25 PPG last year ( 42 total goals )and had 42 PP points total ( 97 total points ). This year 8 goals ( 17 total goals) and 16 PP points ( 55 total points ). Big drop in PP output for the lad

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Brian Jerk

Just shows once again what a class individual Mr. Burke is.:rolleyes: Ron McLean looked like he'd been shot. Obviously, the 7 second delay wasn't on for that one.....

If I was Al Strachan, I'd probably be looking over my shoulder.:rolleyes: Had to like McLean's recovery from that one, though.

Interesting stats they (HNIC) flashed about Bert - "he's on pace for a 21 goal season." Come on, Bert. Is that big new contract making your back pocket too heavy to drag around? Stop floating and play up to your potential. We don't need another %$#!!@#!!! Momesso....

Happy for the win, but still concerned,

stew:cool:

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
How could they ever think of getting rid of Brian Burke. That may have been the greatest interview by a hockey GM ever. Burke has been named to my all time favorite quote team.

Such favorites as.

I drive him to the airport.

Sedin is not Swedish for punch me in the face.

How could you not love a guy who rips into Al Strachan and makes ron Maclean look more uncomfortable than when Cherry spouts off an frenchmen and europeans.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
hmmm... can't find it... I second Ballbaby's request for a Cole's (bob) Notes version.

~Regs.

Keeper

Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It won't be available anywhere on the CBC site. The only thing you'll find is the original bit that Al Strachan mentioned about Burke "asking for $2 million". The Burke/McLean interview was an unschedule bit that happened to be stuck between games.

Unfortunate, but lost forever in the CBC archives. Was is mentioned in the paper at all today?

I'll be listening to Burke and McRae tomorrow for certain.

Did anyone tape it?

Dapotayto

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, according to your earlier post you witnessed it live. Any chance of a quick summary or is that lost in the CBC archives too?

zenga

Dec 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I got this from the canucks.com forums. I think basically it sums it up!

-In my opinion, the best interview of the year. We gotta re-sign this guy.

-He requested the interview w/ CBC expressly because Strachan claimed that he was demanding $2 million in his contract negotiations. He said that number was nonsense. Also said that Strachan is 'known to be loose with facts'
-McLean replies he's heard the $2 million figure being reported elsewhere, does Burke have any idea where that would be coming from?
Burke replies that he has no idea. He then goes on to say that he's willing to make a bet, that when all is said and done, if there's a 2 anywhere in his salary he'll resign, but if there isn't Strachan has to quit the HotStove panel. He also says that he doesn't really care what the rest of Canada or the press thinks, but he wants to make it clear to the fans in BC that he's not asking for that kind of money.
Burke then goes on to criticize the CBC for having Strachan on their segment in the first place, and that Strachan's claim that night has 'further cemented his reputation for dishonesty'. McLean says that he'll have to take that up with their producer.
McLean then changes the subject, they talk a bit about the Sedin twins, trade deadline, yadda yadda yadda.
At the end McLean asks 'Do you want to appear on Hotstove next week with Al to straighten things out?' Burke's reply: 'I've told you guys before, as long as you keep him on that show you're never going to see me on it.'
McLean closes off by saying 'Well, if it's any consolation, I'm sure what Al meant is that you're worth 2 million dollars." That gets a half-grin, half- reaction from Burke.

ENJOY,
LINK:
http://www.student.math.uwaterloo.ca/~tdhumphr/images/hockey/burke.mp3

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Zenga. Thanks Regs. Great interview. Once again, I believe that Burke wants the GM job in Boston to be close to his kids.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Burke went all bezerk the last time he was on Hotstove, when Strachan and he went toe-to-toe regarding the "rumoured" Brendan Morrison trade. Burkie was none too pleased that Strachan was starting talks about Morrison, who's wife was just about to give birth to their first kid.

Here's what Strachan wrote in the Toronto Sun which caused all of this:

The death of Brian?

Burke could be done in Vancouver

By AL STRACHAN -- Toronto Sun

A story that refuses to go away has it that Brian Burke is in his final year as general manager of the Vancouver Canucks.

The reasoning is simple. His contract expires and despite all sorts of inflammatory comments made by Burke and his tame parrot who writes columns for the Vancouver Sun, management refuses to budge.

This week, in an attempt to provoke the hierarchy into action, Burke called himself a "lame duck" and had his sycophant write an outraged article demanding Burke's contract be renewed.

Still no word from above.

Canucks owner John McCaw, and his right-hand man Stan McCammon tend to be very private people. Some would say reclusive. They don't make public comments on their opinion of Burke but they whisper privately that they do not like his bombastic, confrontational persona.

As for Burke's frequent announcements about his genius for management and his hockey acumen, that might work for the fans. They insist, with some justification, that Burke has built a good team in Vancouver.

People like McCammon and McCaw, however, look at matters differently. To them, it's the bottom line that matters and no matter how much praise Burke might heap upon himself, the fact remains that in his history as a GM, his teams have won one playoff round.

That came last year when the Blues first lost Al MacInnis to a shoulder injury, then the rest of the team to a debilitating strain of the flu.

Playoff time is gravy time for the NHL owners and if a GM is not producing there, he has at least two strikes against him.

In December, Burke gave coach Marc Crawford a three-year contract extension, no doubt assuming that he would soon earn a similar reward for himself.

Earlier this month, however, McCammon announced that ownership did not intend to address the matter of Burke's deal until the off-season. He then made the usual noises about distractions, the importance of hockey, and so on.

But by the off-season, it should be more evident than ever that there won't be hockey next year. So why toss $2 million US (which is Burke's asking price) at an employee who has nothing to do?

There have long been rumours of Burke going to Boston, but with the resurgence of the Bruins, that opening may have disappeared. Chicago has also been mentioned but why would anyone want to be a part of that disaster area?

I'm guessing the tame parrot/sycophant in question is none other than Gary Mason. The only thing I find interesting is that Burke, who has long been known as a tell-it-like-it-is, "I don't answer to anybody but Mr. McCaw" type personality, is now claiming that he has to answer to the people of B.C?

Going dimes for donuts with Strachan's HNIC Hot Stove seat was pure comedy. I just kept waiting for him to refer to McLean as the "little crotch-watching fairy". But no dice.

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I want to see Strachan vs Burke during the Hockey figths PPV. I believe that would be a big seller.

What the hell is Strachan calling a media colleaugue a tame parrot? that in my opinion is worse than anything said or done by Burke or even Cherry. He may be a tame parrot and Burke could have his hand up this ass and working the guys mouth but you don't say that about a fellow media person. Starchan crossed a line i believe with that.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It's funny, but this whole issue has really taken on a life of its own outside of Vancouver. The Globe and Mail have been covering it, as well as beat writers from the Boston Globe and the Denver Post

General consensus around the NHL is that Burke has done a good enough job in Vancouver to warrant a contract extension, and that most NHL clubs would see Burke as an upgrade from their current GM. Add to this the fact that Orca Bay seems quite confident in having Nonis/Tambellini taking over the GM position if Burke isn't re-signed.

The only Strachan comments I do agree with are that the Canucks have been disappointing with regards to playoff results, and that Burke may finally be getting paid back for being so abrasive to the public over the last few years.

If you read Strachan's stuff regularly, you wouldn't be so surprised at the "tame parrot" comments. He likes to get personal. Some favourites:

-On Jordin Tootoo: "So far, despite all the hype about his merits, he doesn't seem to have any purpose other than to injure people."

-On Marius Czerkawski and the Islanders: "Did no one else find it curious that Mariusz Czerkawski of the New York Islanders was a scratch on Tuesday because of "an irregular heartbeat" but was fine a day later? How do you fix a heart problem in a day? Still, the Islanders' confusion in such matters is understandable in view of the high number of players on that team who lack the requisite organ."

-On keeping what happens in the locker room within the locker room: "It was interesting to note that when he went to the Dallas Stars, Shayne Corson said he knew some players there -- like Jason Arnott. Corson is telling the truth. But there's a bit more to the story. When the two played for the Edmonton Oilers, Corson claimed that although a goal had been awarded to a teammate, he had made contact with the puck before it entered the net. Arnott said Corson was wrong. Corson asked Arnott if he was being accused of poaching a goal. Arnott said he was. As a result, the two got into a scrap that had to be broken up by teammates. Fighting in the dressing room is not a trademark of the Oilers, a team known for its camaraderie, and it was the final straw that resulted in the firing of coach George Burnett."

One Dart

Feb 25, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
What a joke. Thanks for coming out Nucks. What Bert did to Moore was far worse than what he did to Naslund. Maybe if he went to the net as hard as he hit Moore he'd have more than zero goals in his last 10+ games. I imagine he'll be sitting out at least the next 3.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0