Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Vancouver Canucks 2003/2004

LucVanLierde

Not Bright
Oct 14, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
#99?

I was told last night that Wayne Gretzky was in Vancouver for undisclosed reason. I just heard on 22 that he has taken the Gm position. What the hell is this? I'm praying its just a rumour.

Therapist

Sep 11, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ummm, that would be a conflict of interest. He owns part of the Coyotes if you don't remember. I think you're trying to stir the pot. Good try.

hedkandi

Aug 27, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I heard this morning that one of the reasons Burke was not re-signed is because McCaw maybe selling the team to a local group of investors and one of the stipulations was they want to bring in their own guy or that they hate Burke.
Anyways, either way, I think Burke will take Cloutier and the Sedins with him to Boston.

hedKandi

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Hedkandi almost has it. I'll go one further though and tell you who the new owner will be. The dude who owns the Sandman Hotel's chain. I can't think of his name at the moment, but that is who it is. The reason Burke was fired is because this guy wanted his own guy in place so that he can have a say in all trades and contracts. That would never happen under Burke.

This is not a good thing.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I find it rather amusing that Burke was booted out of town in a similar fashion to the way he unjustly kicked Trent Klatt in the nads a summer ago. Explain to me, again, why Burke felt it necessary to take a shot at a guy who didn't have a ton of skill, busted his ass on every shift, came back from a fairly serious injury and wanted nothing more than to stay in Vancouver?

Oh yeah. Burke is a straight-shooter. Everybody loves a guy who speaks his mind. In the meantime, he rewarded Klatt with a pay cut and when the guy didn't take it, Burke took the first opportunity he could find to slag him.

It was little things like this that probably built up the tension surrounding Burke. Another "little thing" was that press conference he held in 2002 during the Detroit series. All the Vancouver fans and local pundits ate that stuff up - Burke was golden. My guess is that some notable names who didn't find that public bitch session so amusing were: Mike Illitch, Colin Campbell, Gary Bettman, Andy Van Hellemond, and every other owner and GM in the NHL who probably felt at one time or another that their team was getting screwed by the Zebras. People who probably have an authorative voice when speaking with John McCaw.

For the record, I still haven't seen another GM hold a press conference to complain about officiating since Burke did. If it was such a tremendous idea, I'm sure other hockey executives would have followed suit.

Anyways. The bottom line here is that sometimes winning isn't everything. Byron Scott took the Nets to the NBA finals two years in a row and he got canned. Grady Little was 5 outs away from the World Series and he got the axe. Jaques Martin had a tremendous run in Ottawa and he got his walking papers. Clearly, Burke ran his mouth far too often (I'm sure McCaw and McCammond had numerous talks about being less scathing) and in the end, all the good stuff he did was nullified by the fact he always had something to say in situations where silence would have been golden.

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There was no mention that Klatt would have made a difference to the team, or that he was anything more than a 3rd liner. I know you drink before you post, so I'm assuming you pint before you read as well.

Anyways. The way Burke handled that particular situation is a microcosm of a larger-scale attitude problem that he had during his six years in Vancouver. What, exactly, did Burke stand to gain by publically ripping Klatt in the manner he did? Trent Klatt was (is) a very mediocre hockey player who relies solely on determination and physicality to play in the NHL. I personally think he is a marginal talent who would have had little to no direct effect on the team's results this year.

But. Klatt played hard when he could and overcame injury to have a fairly successful last year here. My guess is that he had a lot of respect in the locker room and was viewed as a good guy amongst his peers. All his interviews showed him as a pretty humble individual who really wanted to stay in Vancouver.

Even if Burke simply told Klatt about the paycut and let him walk to the Kings, there would have been little to harp on regarding this story. He could have thanked Klatt for his contributions to the team and told the highest bidder they were getting a quality individual. But, for some unknown reason, Burke had to get his two cents in and rip a honest, hard-working guy for no particular reason. Why rip that guy? It really made no sense. It certainly didn't benefit anybody.

Clearly Burke didn't get fired for this particular incident but I'm gathering it was a series of his "tell-it-like-it-is" moments that pushed them over the edge. You don't see many other NHL GMs (outside of Bobby Clarke) say the kinds of things Burke does, and I'm guessing that's for a reason.

It's all too bad because Burke has a great GMs mind, and a real nose for hockey numbers. He just needs to stop running his mouth.

Fastshow

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The chat down the Dog & Duck is that that boorish yank twat Burke was shoved aside to make way for Claudio Rainieri who will take over GM duties on Griffiths Way. He will also be given free reign on all Orca Bay Communications.

There are also rumours circulating stating that Jennifer Mather has been sniffing about David Beckham and that that munter Burke, a proper afront to Darwin's evolutionary theories, might not actually be the father of the dirty cow's child. The paternity tests are pending.

Always a pleasure reading Sensei's posts, even if his student loan can't cover his Premium Member dues. You should have a word with Saint, mate, he knows all the tricks.

I pint
You pint
We pint
They pint

You don't see many other NHL GMs (outside of Bobby Clarke) say the kinds of things Burke does, and I'm guessing that's for a reason.

I hadn't realised Bobby Clarke had another NHL GM inside him. Funny way to make a living. Is it Gary Dornhoefer? I know those two used to be close.....

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Therapist said:
Fcuk me, get over the Klatt ordeal. He's a third liner and wouldn't have made a difference.

Very true, next they will complain that Ruttu will get his walking papers soon!

I think they should trade and get Ryan Smyth.......give them ruttu and a new hockey stick and a jock warmer for those cold nights in edmonton

filling the net

Not Bright
Sep 29, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
TheRob said:
So Nonis is the guy.

Presser at 3pm on The Team and NW.

I think its going to be steve tambolini (sp) **** nonis he is just another penny pintcher that knows shite about making a stanley cup team!

Argyle

Feb 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am fairly sure that Mike Keenan was seen in town this morning...

what could this mean?????

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Christ on a bike.

Is he fcuking crying? Oh, this year ought to be good year... :rolleyes:

No, sniffle, sniffle, that contract is too high...

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0