Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

The Vancouver Canucks 2003/2004

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
There is absolutely no comparison with Lumley and Simon. In fact, you can't even compare the two eras. Jarred from the Subway commercials could even score on a line with Gretz and Kurri.

Chris Simon, if he is still able to play as he did in 1997-1998, would be a good fit somewhere in the line-up. He's a strong skater, and that year showed he did have good enough hands to stay in the line-up. In fact, Ron Wilson challenged him earlier that season to hold the puck more because he showed good skills in practice.

Besides, he spent most of his time on the second line, I think, with peter Sykora centering.

Again, all by memory here, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Just wondering if attitude wise he's considered a black sheep, or if he's damaged goods.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I remember it a bit differrently, but not sure whos right. I remember him playing with Oates and Bondra in Washington. I dont remember Simon getting 35 though

The only point I was making with the Lumley comparison was that if you put a pylon with guys that can play, it will get some points, and it is no reflection on the skill of the pylon.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just looked
he scored 29 goals + 20 assists = 49 points and 146 pim in 99/00 season with Washington. Currently on the Rangers payroll with 9 points

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Which is why I'm wondering if something happened to him.

You can't compare 98 w/ 88 or 78...back then, a pylon could score 30+. Can you immagine Dave Samenko trying to make it in today's NHL? No chance.

Even Brashear, when paired with some skilled players never put up the kind of numbers Simon did that year...almost all his points came after X-Mass, too.

Just saying that maybe someone like that would be a fit in a 'Nucks uniform.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I think Chris played for Crow back in the Avalanche days and even during a series vs the Nucks. He was not liked by Crow then and I can't imagine he would be any better now...........so this is a dead topic.

Back on topic, the Nucks are still overrated when comparing them to the elite teams in the league. They can beat up on the lesser likes but against the Blues, Flyers etc............they don't and won't measure up:(

John

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, they only have to worry about the Flyers for the finals, should both teams make it. I suspect by then, they would both be on top of their games.

They do need to concern themselves with the best Western Conference teams. The Blues and Avalanch are the powers.

striker14

Jul 29, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
ha ha ha...

Originally posted by john
They can beat up on the lesser likes but against the Blues, Flyers etc............they don't and won't measure up:(

John

Hey John...how is Jackman's lid after being ROCKED!!!? Philly ain't goin' nowhere in the Playoffs...Roenick will break a nail soon and the team will collapse!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: ha ha ha...

Originally posted by striker14
Hey John...how is Jackman's lid after being ROCKED!!!? Philly ain't goin' nowhere in the Playoffs...Roenick will break a nail soon and the team will collapse!

Striker14
John was uncharacteristically making some daft comments about the Shite Flyers and the team Vancouver knocked out of the playoffs last year, but he's a true Canuck fan under the influence right now... :eek: ;) Vancouver do have a team that can compete with elite teams in the NHL... Hence #1 in the West right now... We have probably the best rushing defence, most exciting top line and play the most entertaining style in the league!!! Seriously, the Flyers???:rolleyes: John get off the crack!!!

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
As much as I don't think that Cloutier is the guy that is going to win the Canucks a Stanley Cup, that was one fcuking amazing save he made last night. It was like when Neo killed Mr. Smith after he realized he was the one. Maybe Cloutier is doing that now. Realizing. Time will tell.

I have a question for Striker, Guinness and possibly Aunt Jinky(he might be the only one who can answer this). When was the last time Bertuzzi(TBD)actually hit someone? He's playing like Hayley Wickenheiser these days. Check that. Wickenheiser probably hits more. I seriously think that Jackman was the last person TBD hit. Seriously. Really.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
IMHO, Bertuzzi is fine. When he wasn't getting points earlier in the season, people were critical but he was contributing in other ways (like the monster hits). But he was also getting a lot of penalties, some warranted, others not, especially when you consider what other players get away with when checking him.

~Regs.

Zaurrini

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sick

Heard Big Bert has the flu.....:(

Poor guy....

get the Robitussin!

Bertuzzi is fine...and if the Canucks are going to win anything..it will be on his shoulders. Taking a beating in front of the net...
He is responsible for soooo many goals that he doesnt get any assists/points for, just by causing havoc in front of the net.

john

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bert does have the flu..........could tell when he was interviewed yesterday!

He is a great player but has the dilema of being something for everyone. He is the leagues most feared player right now. He can either run you over, just ask Mcinnis or Jackman or he can be a playmaker or a finesse scorer. The problem is he sometimes doesn't do what others might feel he should be doing at the particular time..................and right now it is running people over based on your complaints.

Personally I like to see him being physical. We have the skilled guys but never enough grit. Teams now try not to be confrontational against him for fear he might wake up and try and do a Jackman on them. However, all this is way to tough to expect in an 82 game regular season, and thus he goes through stretches where he is less noticeable.

In the end, he needs to stand in front of the net, get his tap in deflected goals and be a physical presense to create space for his linemates.

Also Burke needs to get into the league and officials and have a word about some of the pushing penelties he has been given of late. Total double standard goingon. He does what the defenceman do to him in front of the net and yet more times than not he gets the minor????????? BRUTAL! And now we see him setting up behind the net, and that is the last place he should be.

Well, a good win last night and an impressive performance.

John

BlazeArmy

Not Bright
Dec 13, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
1. A. Tanguay, COL 31
2. I. Kovalchuk, ATL 29
3. R. Lang, WAS 29
4. M. Naslund, VAN 29
5. Z. Palffy, LA 26
6. L. Nagy, PHO 25
7. T. Bertuzzi, VAN 25
8. M. Hossa, OTT 24
9. B. Guerin, DAL 23
10. J. Thornton, BOS 23

Hard to say he's lpaying shitty when he's 8th in Scoring. He may be able to play better etc. but he still playing pretty well

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I never said he was playing awful. All I want is for him to hit more. A lot more. John touched on it. He needs to be in front of the net where he can get the deflections and stuff. He hasn't been there in awhile. A lot of the time a shot will come from the point, the keeper will stop it and hold on, the camera pans out and where is Bertuzzi? Beside the net. Not where he belongs. He needs to punish people all over the ice. Look at Monday night. The Laughs were hitting every chance they got. What did Bertuzzi do? Go offside 25 times. Scoring wise he is ok, but he could change the close games if he would start whacking people again.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Scoring wise he is ok, but he could change the close games if he would start whacking people again.
By entering the penalty box? John "touched" that topic too. Anything else you want John to touch?

:D

~Regs.

hammerhead

Oct 2, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I agree TR

If he stars laying out hits like he did on Jackman, other players are going to be watching for him when he's on the ice. It will change the way they play, make them move the puck faster, and so make more mistakes.
I think its tough to play that way every game though.

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Osame thinks I've gone "soft". Could he help me there?

I don't mean "whack" as in take dumb penalties. He needs to hit, legally, to be a force. He hasn't been doing it. I honestly think that Jackman was the last guy he hit.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0