Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Team Canada - 2006 Olympics

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yzerman, because common sense will prevail. He's already hinted at stepping down, and he has the common sense to know when the time is to do this. Remember, there is a ton of back room discussion and coddling we never get a chance to see.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally post by The Franchise
saying that both Yzerman and Lemieux both play.
They're not donkey!!! I thought you knew everything???
Originally posted by The same muppet
Go Canucks GO :rolleyes:
I guess you loved the shootout over Ottawa last night??? ;)

Back to the topic at hand...

Now that Lemieux has decided to bow out, who should be the 13 forwards??? This is going to be a very difficult decision for Gretzky and co. but the great depth is much more of a strength than a burdon...
As reported on sportsnet today, the panel figure 8 spots are already "locks":Sakic, Thorton, Gagne, Iginla, Heatley, Lacavalier, Richards and St.Louis.
5 spots to be fought for with these names included: Bertuzzi, Marleau, Crosby, Staal, Nash, Smyth, Spezza, Tanguay, Karyia, Doan and Draper.

I can't understand why anyone would think St.Louis or Richards should be "locks"... St. Louis has not had a good year and we need to make space for some younger talent... Richards is a Centre and I'd say Spezza should play over him!!!

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Revised squad

Goalies:
Brodure, Luongo, Theodore

Defense:
Hannan, Jovo, Blake, Pronger, Redden, Neidermayer.
Reserve: McCabe
(If any injuries) Phaneuf

Forwards:
Spezza between Heatley & Karyia
Lecavalier between Smyth & Crosby
Sakic between Tanguay & Iginla
Thorton between Gagne & Bertuzzi
Reserve: Richards
(If any injuries) @ centre-Staal or @ wing-St.Louis

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Revised squad

Guinness said:
Goalies:

Defense:

Forwards:

I'm hoping those are not in order from first line to fourth line. putting Thornton in on the fourth line is laughable. I'm also wondering who is going to be the checking line, you can't just have four scoring lines and expect too out gun teams. It looks pretty good on paper but I can't see that team winning a gold medal

The Apprentice

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm curious as to why everybody feels Sydney Crosby should be on the team? I don't think there is a point to rushing the kid when he has atleast 10-12 years of International hockey ahead of him. He's going to be a superstar in the league but I dont think he would be a major factor in the Olympics just yet. If Eric Stall keeps up his pace he should be a lock for the team over Crosby. He's having a much better year and has the Hurricanes on a roll. At 6'4 and with his speed and skill he would match up good with any line.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Good point apprentice... (yes I agree with you on a small scale)... ;)
However, Crosby (18) is Canada's next one and bringing him only makes sense for our game and the future of it internationally... Staal is a good young player (and a centre), but unfortunately for guys like him this team is full of talent and some really good players will be left at home...

Originally posted by bulljive
you can't just have four scoring lines and expect too out gun teams. It looks pretty good on paper but I can't see that team winning a gold medal
This team will win gold and will out score everyone else!!! That said, for aguments sake this is how they could make a checking line for all of you "defence minded" bores...
1) Thorton has done in the past and can centre the checking line.
2) Lecavalier can play wing on that line (he did in the WC).
3) Sid the kid could let way for Richards who's a natural centre.
4) Ryan Smyth can join the checking line.
5) Richards now centre's Bert and Simon' Gagne.

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
For all the tallent out there, Smyth will have to be the ckecking line centre, if he makes the squad at all.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It will all be anounced in 20 minutes on sportsnet!!!

My predictions...

Goalies:

Defense:
Reserve: Regher

Forwards:
Spezza,Heatley,Lecavalier,Smyth,Crosby,Doan,Sakic,Tanguay, Iginla,Thorton,Gagne,Bertuzzi,Richards

can't wait!!!

PV

Jul 28, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Gretz must have been taking lessons from the US team which picked Chelios. Gretz didn't pick Spezza, Crosby or that guy named Staal who is leading the league in scoring. But he did pick the old guys, except for the two who ruled themselves out. When he was young he got picked, but he's not picking our great young Canadian players.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
THE TEAM.

Goalies:
Brodure, Luongo, Turco

Defense:
Jovo, Blake, Pronger, Redden, Neidermayer,Regher & Foote

Forwards:
Heatley,Lecavalier,Smyth,Doan,Sakic,Iginla,Thorton,Gagne, Bertuzzi,Richards,Nash, St.Louis & Draper:rolleyes:

Taxi squad: Spezza, Staal & McCabe

I could be like every other negative wank that only talks about who didn't make this team, BUT I guess all in all this team is strong in every way... I would have maybe given McCabe a shot rather than Foote and put Phanuef on the taxi squad with the other two kids??? Maybe left off Draper for a Karyia or Tanguay??? Had Crosby on the Taxi squad, but he still may be added if someone get injured??? GREAT TEAM no matter how you slice it!!!

GO CANADA GO!!!:knvb:

bulljive

Nov 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
yah I don't really like foote. We have enough experience, everybody doesn't have too be a experienced guy. They named Bert but i would have liked Phaneuf as well. Mcabe is a defensive liability just like foote but would have been on my taxi squad. I just really don't like Doan on the team. I know he had done great things in the past and may end up playing great again but 22 points and a -7 what the **** is his role. This team can win gold but too me the defense is slow and maybe a little less respect in a few places replaced by what are the better players. I agree with guiness still agreat team indeed.

willis316

Oct 26, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I don't like Spezza being left off this squad. It is clear by the selection of Bertuzzi, Loungo and some others that the first few months of hockey had little bearing on the decisions for this team. This team was selected after the world champioships with the only changes occuring because ML and SY opted out. As much as it would have been fun to see some more youth it is hard to turn away world champions and gold medalists. Should be fun to watch.

Balsa

Mar 16, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
If we could Ice 2 teams then there could be a great debate but until then we have to accept that we have more depth than any country in the world. :D Making Team Canada in Hockey is like making Brazil in soccer terms.

With all the moans about Crosby I have to say in my opinion he doesn't deserve to even be a thought on Canada's 1st Team........yet. My only shock in the lineup was Foote. Really didn't think he would get another nod. McCabe, Boyle should be before him. Phaneuf is also there but he is like Crosby, too young to displace the others. This is going to be a great team with players who are usually the star playing very select roles. Will be fun to see how they react.

With all the debate about the young guns not making the team just think how exciting the anouncement of the 2010 Team will be. There will be a pile of changes from this squad. :D

Already looking ahead.

The Franchise

Lifetime Better Bastard
TTP Bookie Staff
Sep 7, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Revised squad

Guinness said:
Goalies:

Defense:

Forwards:

Wow weren't you way off, like I said don't test my hockey skills....were are all your young guys...reserves or not invited like I said. I told you if lemieux and yzerman didn't play bert would make it.

Signed the hockey guru

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Bertuzzi plays like he is a Mexican, most of the time he is having a seista, and he only picks it up when his buddy Naslund is buying tequilla shooters at the Roxy after the match.

Are you loco or what Tito.

hos

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Just comming out now that Gretz may step down from either coaching the dogs, or managing team Canada, or both. All this in the wake of relevations that Gretz was caught on wire tap discussing the gambling "thing" with Tocket.

Janet is having a press conference later today to address allegations that she's somehow involved in the Tocket gambling ring.

Christ...somebody on the New Jersey investigating team is making some nice pocket change in slipping out this info.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0