Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Surrey United at the Nationals

Bronco

Oct 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
According to the CSA site. Surrey are Bronze Medal winners, and Alberta have won it all.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It gets better... :D

Surrey won today 2-1 - Blakes with one and Deacon on a PK with the other.

The final between Alberta and Quebec went to PKs after a 1-1 regulation and OT battle. Alberta won the shootout 4-2 to take the National title.

Or did they?

Major protest is happening now apparently as Alberta used a 'professional' player. It looks like Alberta could lose the gold which would go to Quebec and Surrey would get Silver!

I'm sure KNVB will have more later (they are at the airport in Quebec right now)...

Cheers,

~Regs.

hard ballz

Sep 18, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Dispute...

I had a hunch the french would try something:rolleyes: . Maybe Nobby can fill us in regarding the 'Professional player'.

Hard Ballz

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The 3rd-4th game today was played on a postage stamp of a park so the was very little creative attack from either side. Manitoba was a pretty good team all in all, but they seemed like they couldn't give a piss after Blakes headed in the first. We got our second mid way through the err...second, but Manitoba scored about 30 seconds later. It was like we we were just standing there... with 2 or 3 give go's and it was in. This brought them back to life big time and we were in full panic mode for the last 15 or 20. Awful to watch, but with the field size and sandbags for legs there wasn't much left for anything else.

The protest is still being decided last I heard, but we were told not to get too attached to our medals. The large majority of us hope it doesn't go through for one, we would hate to see Quebec get the gold and two it wouldn't seem right to take the silver. It's not ours. We'll see...

Talked to Maritseo at the airport and he said he could have given 3 reds in the final, but wanted to leave it to the players so he only gave one. :D Quebec had their keeper of all people take their 3rd PK and he hit it well, like a keeper. TSN turning point. Stupid decision on the coaches part now he has to go back in net thinking about the shite in his pants. Their best shooter and the cnut who did us for two didn't even get to shoot. Well planned out boys. :rolleyes:

Side note; talking to some of the other teams, this tourney although grueling, seems much more winnable than the BC's. We by far have the toughest route to the nationals and probably the toughest competition around.

Off to bed for a "hudge" (bastards.) sleep.

simon

Aug 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i remember when we were at Nationals in 2000. i think we all had similiar thoughts about winning the Nationals after they were over...easier than the BCs.

i don't know what it is about BC struggling at this competition since whoever last won it from here but certainly there should be no excuses about not winning. We should win this more often.

when we lost to Manitoba 2-0, we were probably a little tired from the schedule, however, most teams are once you get that far. we were the victim of 2 once-in-a-lifetime goals: 1 was just plain lucky, the other was a laser-beam of a shot off a corner clearance. whoever scored Maniitoba's 2nd will never in his life come close to scoring a goal like that again. i probably wont ever see a goal that that ever again.

Usually, from what i read and from what i have seen, BC has very strong teams going to Nationals, no question. but sending strong teams to finish 2nd or 3rd doesnt really matter. someone posted earlier that "noone remember who finished 2nd", so some club has to step up and win this before we get a rep for shitting the bed in the big games.

i think im venting from our disappointment 3 years back...finally, sigh.

simon

Aug 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
i should at least congratulate Surrey on their winning a medal.

and yes, Surrey has a few curling clubs. i could probably point you in the direction of a few should you require the help.

im looking to add a couple people to my team on Monday nights if youre interested?????

fuzzy

Sep 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by simon
[

whoever scored Maniitoba's 2nd will never in his life come close to scoring a goal like that again. i probably wont ever see a goal that that ever again.

someone posted earlier that "noone remember who finished 2nd",

It was a fantastic goal. Hadyn was his name. He is an excellent player that has scored some great goals - but that one being his best without question.

Simon, the second place team in remembered that year. We (I played with Lucania (Manitoba) that year) remember your team well. Westside was a great opponent - as was the ALberta team we had to beat that year as well. Most will probably agree that you were a more skilled team. We knew that nothing less than our 'A' game would do - especially with our captain and top player out. I am not saying it was all luck but luck always does play a factor.

The way the tourney is set-up now, I think it is easier for "lesser" teams to win. Quebec win 2 games on pk's and are in the semi's. I don't think that is right. In 2000, BC & Manitoba had to be the best in a group of 6 and 5 respectively. I think that is a better measure of the calibre of teams. Just some thoughts.

Cheers

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by simon
im looking to add a couple people to my team on Monday nights if youre interested?????

I am working with a girl right now by the name of Georgina Wheatcroft, she plays a little, I bet she could help your team.

I bring this up because she has a Bronze medal, just like Surrey.

hos allmost ready to retire to the Curling Rink with Simon, can you drink Pints while you play?

TheRob

Jul 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rum and Cokes HOS. Not beer.

Congrats to Surrey. Not a bad showing. It would have been nice for you guys to win, but now you've given LUFC a great seed for next year. They thank you.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Neither Quebec or Alberta won a game in regulation this year thus the NS protest. The BC rep (Laura something ??) said the format is going to change next year to avoid the type of protest that happened this year, they've had nothing but problems since it's inception 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure it's going back to the two sides of 5. Which means 5 games in 5 days instead of 4 in 5 like this year. Better get your fitness up LUFC :rolleyes:

Curling and rum and Cokes on Monday's eh? Hmmm....

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
JINX JINX JINX!!!:mad:

TheRob- I demand you strike that from the record...:rolleyes:

Slurrey- congrats. Tough luck too. I really thought this one was BC's to lose.

LadiesJatt

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
ahhhh the memories :D

I must add though that at the youth levels it is much much harder to win nationals than provincials.

I have been fortunate enough to have been three times and many times I see the best teams not even going through to the final. Although the one thing that I do remember from all those times was that who you played the day before to get into the final made a big .... no .... a huge difference in how you are able to come out in the final physically ......

however they have changed the schedulling now a days and I'm sure at the men's level it's quiet different than at the youth

PS-Well done surrey!

Cheers
LadiesJatt

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They should have western and eastern playdowns to get down to 2 (or 4) teams from each region which would then make for a real tourney where the best team might actually come through and it doesn't become some crazy marathon/last-team-standing thing.

simon

Aug 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Hands of Stone
I am working with a girl right now by the name of Georgina Wheatcroft, she plays a little, I bet she could help your team.

never heard of her...;)

besides, if she aint a man, i cant use her. its a mens night thing.

LadiesJatt

Sep 19, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Back then there were less teams. I think manitoba and sask would have to compete to see who goes, and same for some of the little islands out on the east coast. Now it seems to be going beyond that and even letting in teams like yukon and NWT ....... This is surely bringing the calibre down and wasting a teams entire afternoon by going out and pounding some team 8+ - 0 and risk getting cards and injuries

LadiesJatt

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by Regs
It gets better... :D

The final between Alberta and Quebec went to PKs after a 1-1 regulation and OT battle. Alberta won the shootout 4-2 to take the National title.

Or did they?

Major protest is happening now apparently as Alberta used a 'professional' player. It looks like Alberta could lose the gold which would go to Quebec and Surrey would get Silver!

Typical bollocks by the losers. The player in question played for the professional(?) Storm in 2001-02. He left in May 2002 to return to the Callies. PLayed all last year, incl our trip to Newfie. We hear somebody has said he played for the Storm on Aug 10th this season. Nothing could be further from the truth, as you will soon find out.
Can't they just lose with some class??
Your Surrey boys did well, wanted to play them in the final. Would have been a good game. Quebec are a bunch of whiners.
On another note I have to say Mauritio(sp) had a much better final than prelim game. He should have sent Lumniatis off 4 times in each game - and we hear Lim is the next coach of the Impact!! They'll be a fiery team for sure!!

Cheers from hungover AB

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0