Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Surrey United at the Nationals

simon

Aug 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Originally posted by knvb
I'm pretty sure it's going back to the two sides of 5. Which means 5 games in 5 days instead of 4 in 5 like this year.

at the least, every team would have the same thing to bitch about.

the format in 2000 was, id say, acceptable because there were 2 groups. one group of 5 and one of 6 (Yukon sent a horrible team at the last moment) we played 6 games in 6 or 7 days including the final.

the only dumb rule was that you could only be awarded a win by a maximum of 5 goals reardless of the outcome. we tied Ontario 1-1 in the 1st game and it was a race from then on to beat the other teams by at least a 5-0 score. we were able to shut everyone out while Ontario beat NFLD 4-0 and their hopes were done (they beat Quebec 4-1 or something like that on the last day too)

the other group was a bit more competitive from what i remember.

question: why cant someone come up with a good format?

fuzzy

Sep 10, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
The other group in 2000 was more competitive. We were 3-1 with Alberta but went to the final because of head to head. WE beat them 2-1. Our lose came to the eventual 2001 champs. They dropped points to Saskatchewan to finish third in the group.

You raise a good question, Simon. I have noticed that teams ranked in the 4 or 5 spot seem to go the furthest every year. Don't understand it myself.

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
They still had the 5 goal rule this year too.

Nobby, was it Quebec who filed the protest? Someone must have done some serious homework to file that charge. Good luck, like I said I really hope you guys keep the gold, god knows after having to play the extra game you probably deserve it this time around.
Quebec are a bunch of whiners.
The understatement of the year! Fcuking tossers.

KNVBknewleavingTTPoninthecomputerroommaypayoff. :D

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

The protest is still being decided last I heard, but we were told not to get too attached to our medals. The large majority of us hope it doesn't go through for one, we would hate to see Quebec get the gold and two it wouldn't seem right to take the silver. It's not ours. We'll see...

Talked to Maritseo at the airport and he said he could have given 3 reds in the final, but wanted to leave it to the players so he only gave one. :D Quebec had their keeper of all people take their 3rd PK and he hit it well, like a keeper. TSN turning point. Stupid decision on the coaches part now he has to go back in net thinking about the shite in his pants. Their best shooter and the cnut who did us for two didn't even get to shoot. Well planned out boys. :rolleyes:

Side note; talking to some of the other teams, this tourney although grueling, seems much more winnable than the BC's. We by far have the toughest route to the nationals and probably the toughest competition around.

1. Fields #1+3 were way too small for real football - #2 though was pure quality.
2. The protest won't go thru - so get attatched to your medal. If they take our gold away we will sue the bastards!!
3. Not sure why their GK took a pk either - he didn't look comfortable at all.
4. We had to play 5 games instead of 4 - normally I would say this would not be a problem , but this year the opposition was very good. This is our 4th in 5 years and the best yet.
5. We too, have always felt that our lge - AMSL - is tougher to get out of. We also won provs in golden goal, by the way. But that attitude let us down last year when we didn't respect the opponents enuf and lost to a much weaker Newfie team in the semi.
6. I'm all in favour of going back to regionals and doing away with the 5 in 5 marathon, though. We will reccomend that to our local assoc. Not that they'll pay any attention if I know them.

Nobby

stillhungover

NobbyStiles

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money

Nobby, was it Quebec who filed the protest? Someone must have done some serious homework to file that charge. Good luck, like I said I really hope you guys keep the gold, god knows after having to play the extra game you probably deserve it this time around. The understatement of the year! Fcuking tossers.

:D

Apparently it was Manitoba who protested. Not sure exactly what they are thinking.

Thanks for your teams support at the final by the way!!

Nobby

simon

Aug 6, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
the protest is over Alberta using a professional player?

if it is, did Alberta actually use a professional player?

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If I'm not mistaken Manitoba thinks Alberta had a player that played professional and they're saying he is still technically a pro and not back to his amateur status. You had to have your amateur status back by (just guessing ) Aug 30th or something.

No worries on the support. I don't think we were the only team by the way. ;)

J_B

Jul 22, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
All you have to do is make a phone call to the CSA and they know about all the players in Canada Turning either pro, or traveling abroad to get a chance to turn pro.

Cheers
JB

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Enough Allready

Regs, could ya close this sucker down now, I think we a beating a dead horse here.

Here is the re-cap and lets move on. Surrey went to the Nationals on a high after going 4-1 in the first 5 games of the VMSL, but they were very lucky to get all of those wins by getting late goals in every game.
Everyone talks about Surrey's tough draw because they are the #10 seed (Gorge not so good last year), but in fact because of the terrible system on this Championship, Surrey draw two Atlantic powerhouses, and look to be in tough.
They have easy matches against both Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, they are now into the semi's and everything seems so easy, they didn't think they would get this far.

Surrey shitts the bed vs. the Habs in the semi, but are very happy to come in the top 4.

Who cares that Surrey came in 3rd this year, it makes now real difference is there are two groups of 5 teams, and most times make now difference as was seen this year.

The bronze medals are in a Surrey Chop shop, where they are being melted down to make mags for Star PIMPS new ride.

Regs, close this sucka down.

hos

Go Peg Go

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS is right Regs, but before you do, lets re-cap that last post...

HOS is jealous Surrey went into the Nationals at 4-1 for a couple of reasons...one, his team was this first to fall and he of course being to blame on all 3 goals, including the penalty. He was then lit up like a Christmas tree by our U21/CAT team before pulling himself off. (This has nothing to do with the Nationals, but I found it funny when HOS got lit up by 16 year olds so I threw it in for fun) Second this thread is about as close to the Nationals as HOS will ever get. His team will never, ever and let me be perfectly clear on this EVER finish third at the Nationals let alone make it to them with him in net. He knows this and blames Surrey for his shitty hands. Deal with your demons HOS. Deal with your demons... I would throw you the solution, but I'm afraid you may drop it.

Fact is no one but him talked about our "tough draw" nor did anyone make any excuses and in fact if it had been the other format and the results of the tourney had stayed true we never would have had to face Quebec in the semi's in the first place. We would have then been the top seed going through and had the lesser team, so his point is most certainly moot. BTW, we did not shite the bed versus the frogs, it's a funny old game sometimes. (Cruel and sick too.)
The bronze medals are in a Surrey Chop shop, where they are being melted down to make mags for Star PIMPS new ride.
This, well... this is true :eek:

Regs, close this sucka down.

KNVBronze.

Fcuk off Peg, fcuk off.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I Feel Your Pain, knvb

HOS is right Regs,

Second this thread is about as close to the Nationals as HOS will ever get.

Deal with your demons HOS. Deal with your demons...

knvb, I know you are hurting from your results at the nationals, it gets worse after you realize how close you actualy were to winning it all.
I have been there in the past, I have two GOLD Medals from National Championships in College, and a Silver with Peg back in the 90's, we lost in the final, in Calgary, very tough.

I am hoping for one more shot at that feeling I had when winning the Gold back in the early 90's, and I know these attacks on me are based on your own sour grapes from not getting it down when the chance was there.
Better luck next time.:rolleyes:

hos

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Oh, gentlemen(?), quit your quarreling. National championships are over-rated. It is nice to win any championships/cups(even 'B' cups like the UEFA, or runners-up:rolleyes: ) Now winning FOUR trophies in one year is an accomplishment. When I played in the best league in BC(Richmond Winter Soccer League), I was VERY fortunate to be on a team which won FOUR trophies that year, including the 'B' provincial cup. We would have schooled any team that year in the premier league but everyone was afraid to play us. Can you blame them? Anyway, KNVB, congrats on making it to the Nationals and I am disappointed BC didn't win. HOS, you just keep being jealous of Surrey United for their accomplishments. Lord knows you deserve to be. :)

To get back on topic, well done to Nobby Stiles and his squad for winning a national championship.

Captain

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0