Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sad News. Alec Bell

5bigtoes

Jul 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I much like sid, just can not believe this news. Like anyone who has played football any where in any league you would have come across Alec. A truly wonderful person. I have had the priveledge of tilting a jar, smelling the stogie, and having a lite hearted chat with a true soccer Icon. My favorite memories of Alec are the banter before the game would start, at the center circle, I'd have a chat with him.....funny how you remember the smallest details and how someone touches your life. I will miss seeing him and think of him often when the game begins.............

My condolences to Alec's family.

Cal Traversy

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sid
Is there gonna be a wake?I would love to go to the funeral b-kuz this man was such a good guy(undescribably good)but may not be able to go due to work commitment :( .So any news on that?

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
yes ,the after arrangements are a the royal canadian legion coq

address is posted on previous page 4pm--till?????????????all night I suppose

sid

pm me If any more ??s ;)

animal

Aug 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Last year I walked in to the disciplinary meeting for a professional foul. Alex looked at me then read the report: you two footed someone got up punched him and then chased the ref as my jaw dropped he smiled and said professional foul 1 game. As I left he had this cheeky little grin on his face and said; always nice to see you I hear Mike. Alec had a great sense of humor and was always there to have a good chat with. He will indeed be missed by all who knew him.
From the Fireman club and my self we send our sincere condolences to the Bell family.

Mike Frank

oor wullie

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
I will miss my friend very much...

I have been in shock for many days now and having a hard time coming to terms with this...but here it goes.

I have known Alec for many years. I was very fortunate to know Alec in two ways... as a referee, but mostly as a friend. Nine years ago this summer Alec Bell got me back into refereeing football. The Burnaby Men’s Soccer League became somewhat of a Scottish consortium with Alec, Joe McIntyre and myself. Recent summers I shared many memories with Alec along with Eddie Kennedy, Jimmy Faulds and my brother Scott in the Fiji League. These times I hold very dear to my heart.
Going to the football park to referee a game with Alec was a special time for me. I looked forward to refereeing with him and of course a few beers and patter after the games we did together were part of the fun. Hot summer afternoons in Ladner, cool evenings at Burnaby Lake turf, and sometimes late evenings at Mary Hill. That’s what made it fun – Alec Bell, his humour, his zest for life, and his upbeat persona. He would smoke his King Eddie and drink his beer and would really enjoy his time. I would enjoy the same time along with him. Times at the Coquitlam Legion on a Sunday evening were special too. Some Sundays would last forever with Alec; he was 30 years my senior, but you would never know it with his energy! We would ref football all day, and then go to the Legion for a few drinks and many more games of dominoes.
Refereeing a football match will never be the same for me again. Every match I officiate will always produce memories of Alec. I am very honoured to be his friend and his colleague and I will miss him deeply.

To Irene :with all our love and deepest condolences,
Aynslee, Dianna and Sean Sneddon

besty

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I have known Alec from the time I turned 17 going back to the old Queens Park Ranger days.

Alec always had time to say hello and it seemed he was everywhere a game was being played, whether it was at a pitch in the VMSL, Nations cup or at any venue showing a Scotland match.

That is what will be the toughest to accept …he won’t be there any more…. or will he?

I have a funny feeling Alec will always be with us, at the fields, in the dressing rooms having a pint and his smoke.

You just don’t forget people like him.

Condolences to all his family and friends…he was a great gentleman.

Martin, Devin and Karen Best

besty

Jul 24, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On another sad note…to anyone who new Davie McBeth.

He recently passed away at his home in Scotland.
Dave was another great character from years past.

You might remember him from days at Kinsmen Stadium, with his horse rough Scottish accent cheering on the Norvan boys along with all the other classic punters.

Davie you will be missed too.

ALL the Best!

oor wullie

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
besty said:

He recently passed away at his home in Scotland.
Dave was another great character from years past.

You might remember him from days at Kinsmen Stadium, with his horse rough Scottish accent cheering on the Norvan boys along with all the other classic punters.

Davie you will be missed too.

ALL the Best!

Besty,

That is sad news tae... I knew him when I was a wee lad.
All those great Scots guys around Vancouver I knew as a boy growing up. I was fortunate my father played top quality football back in those days and very lucky to be able to 'kick it' with my Grandad for his matches. So I guess we are lucky coming from Scots parents to be exposed to all the patter and laughter from those days. It was a healthy culture to be brought up in, and I am very thankful for that.

Keep well Martin,

Sean

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
that is bad news too !my friend peter doyle talks very highly or him too!!!!!

Sir Alex Fergeson talked about dave mcbeth in his auto bi!talked about been very close friends with dave

RIP

GARY

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Amazing...

Oor Wullie, Besty, etc....

Unbelievable words.

This thread, in all honesty, gives me a lump in my throat every time.
Probably a Scottish thing, but I doubt it. ;)

Sid:
Ma Celtic brotha:

Going to show up outside the funeral.
Don't know if I'll get in or not.
Don't know if it's right if I do, considering the stature of the man, as I only knew him at the fitba pitch.
Therefore only socially, but he knew me and I knew him.
Wouldn't want to steal a seat from someone more worthy.
Won't be at the Legion as I'm off to my one and only Canuck game this year.
Alec would understand.

For all the the piss you give and take:
You're all class at the end of the day.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop,

RF

Of course, You too Jinky.

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
besty said:

I remember Davie as one of the Punters on the Norvan side-line, and was he not a classic. There was many Norvan Punters in those days but Davie was the Loudest and had the best shouts. The classic during a Norvan/Peg game, a loud "Come on Norvan, KILL those Flying Horses" too funny with that strong Scottish accent.
Millar has told me a funny story a few times of Davie coming allong with Norvan back to Winnipeg for the Canadians. I guess the punters would travel with the team, and Davie was one of them. The story goes that he shows up at the airport with a change of underwear and a few Meat Pies, this is for a week long trip to Winnipeg in October.
While back in Winterpeg, all the punters go off the first night and get themselves kicked out of the Hotel that they are in. Again too funny.
Lastly, while all pissed up at one of the games, the ball goes out of bounds to Davie and he starts to play keep up with it in front of all the fans with lots of cheers.
I only knew the guy from Norvan games, but he sounded like a class guy.

hos

Millar or Besty could tell the stories better than hos, who was not there.

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
royal towers 1pm starting off with a pint & stogie with the old crew from QPR days

everyone welcome !!!!!ALec would love that everyone attend!!!!!!!! :( :( :( :( :( :(

see you all

gary
please no hoops :mad: :D

mcdirty

Sep 22, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Where do I begin?

Mr.Bell and myself never did see Eye to Eye,He suspended me twice this year for a grand total of 8 games.One of these incidents was a verbal assault on Alex that I am completely ashamed of!But Ya know what, the first game after my suspension I was fortunate enough to have Alex as a Ref ,I didnt play that first half and was able to meet with Alex in the center circle at half time to apologize for my tirade ,and in a forgiving manner that I cannot begin to comprehend he shook my hand and said "Son it was forgotten the second I red carded your ass"!Fifteen minutes into the second half I punched a guy in the mouth and was once again red carded,after the game Alex came over to me realizing I was a bit distraught and said "Son next time wait til I have my head turned".That just shows the type of guy this man was.The soccer community will miss you Alex and my fellow Scots will miss you even more!

Your fellow Scot,Ryan McSherry

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
with the calliber of people at alec bells day yesterday,you could propable have put together a world eleven ,from the old guys to the young!!sad day !but it was also a beautiful day ,there was nothing but great vibes buzzing throughout the crowd!!!!once again bye alec !!!!!!!!your pal

gary corr,I will miss you dearly!!!!!!!

R.I.P

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alec Bell's Day

Yes as sid said, it was great to see all of the old faces and some new... As a young lad I only watch QPR matches with my old man... It was fan-tan-stic to share a few pints and memories with some of the legends people... A touch of class was from brother Joe as he walked around the Rangers Club passing out shots of Alec's favourite Scotch...
Guinness: "Na I better not, I've got a match tonight and have already had a couple of pints"...
Joe Bell: "Come on wee man, Alec would of wanted you tae"...

How could I have said no to that... BTW, I think Meers had Sully's (and anyone else who could stomach the stuff) share... ;)

Cheers Alec, you were a true football fanatic and thanks for the fond memories, you'll never be forgotten...

oor wullie

Jul 17, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Alec Bell's Day

Guinness said:
How could I have said no to that... BTW, I think Meers had Sully's (and anyone else who could stomach the stuff) share... ;)

Cheers Alec, you were a true football fanatic and thanks for the fond memories, you'll never be forgotten...

Guinness,

I wish so much I could have been there. I got hame last night efter my work a got stuck into a bottle of 12 year old Balvenie Single Malt. A whisky Alec and I enjoyed whenever he came to the house. I will be up for Nations Cup this summer, and would enjoy going out for a hauf and a pint when I get there.

Keep well,

OW

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
sean!!I will be sending you the bill for my phone bill from you in cali!!ya cnut!!

anyways those triples joe that you were serving were sure tellingme I should not drink,well one day into rest alec !!thinking of you pal as I swill another bevi & suck on a stogie

nite nite

gary

ps !!RF !!a touch of class as Irene & family announced that Alexander the greats asshes will be spread amongst the best at Ibrox verry soon

ALEXANDER BELL "SIMPLY THE BEST"

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: Simply the Best!!!

That was the man's favourite anthem... I remember Alec parading around the Orange hall in New West (with his dopy big Dr.Suess hat on) to that tune after a big win or two...

Peace, out

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Best moments:

Larsson's reading out his brother's message at the service. A touch of class from both Sneddons.

Finally agreeing with Willy Azzi about something (when he read out Joe's message).

Having a chance to say goodbye to Alec. For those who did not attend, Alec was in state at the front of the room; his cleats, flags, cards, whistle and jersey were displayed just to the right. The overflow crowd were accommodated off to the left of the main room. Not really sure about the numbers, but I was told that there were about 400 people present.

Getting a chance to tell Irene, Joe and most of the rest of the Bell family about how privileged I was to share that last stogie and beer with Alec, and most importantly the time I got to spend with him last Sunday.

Finding out about Alec going to Ibrox.

Getting to meet the infamous Mannion brothers, and getting well cut with not only them but Parkhead, Inspector Blake, and a number of other reprobates, all in Alec's honour. Apologies to any other TTPers present who I didn't get to talk to or was too schwacked to remember speaking with. I was really impressed with the number of faces I recognized, both at the service and the wake. The man truly touched a lot of people's lives; I'm proud to have been one of them.

A bit of trivia: the ref we had this morning (didn't recognized him) was scheduled to do the replay of Alec's last game after ours; he wasn't really looking forward to it at all, given the circumstances. We talked a bit about it, and when he realized that we'd been affected by the news as well, he felt better that we understood what he was up against. It was a tough minute before the game for a number of us on both sides; but we got through it together. I think Alec would have enjoyed the game - it was a physical one, but without any malice. No cards, no injuries, just a good hard game.

Alec my friend, here's hoping you make it back to Ibrox okay, and wherever you are, may the beer always be cold, the women warm, and the stogies good and stinky; and I know that they'll allow you to slide tackle.

Best to all,

stew

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0