Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Sad News. Alec Bell

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Sad, sad news. Alec will be greatly missed. We usually saw him most Fridays up at Mundy Park and was always fun to talk to and have a laugh with.

You see the thing about Alec, is that he was a true Character.

Kenno, I think you said it perfectly. We'll miss you Alec.

The lads from Metro-Ford FC would like to extend our condolences to the family of Alec Bell.

DJ

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I'm very saddened by yesterday's new. Mr. Bell was a great human being. On behalf of the Burns family and Club Ireland, we would like to offer our condolences to the Bell family.

Stephen Burns

Sep 18, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I got this news about a hour ago and it is still sad.I have to agree with alot of what you colleagues here have written about the Great Alec Bell.Character,pints,stogies he was definetly a character not matched by any of the ref's in the league nor do i think he ever will be.A true proud scot.May you rest in peace alec.Like they say in our country back home
"neka mu je laka crna zemlja"
I agree this man should be remembered in some way?I would stand behind and support something of this nature.A big loss to the Soccer community of the LowerMainland.A wee man but a very BIG HEART!!!
Aleks&Gord Lakovic,Dan S.,SteveN(steamo)Sash(snowman)NedF. and VasoG. and the
SerbianWhiteEaglesFootballClub
R.i.p :eek: :( :( :(

angryman

Feb 1, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
Truly sad news. My deepest condolences to the Bell family and all Alec's friends. Always a great game with Mr Bell on the whistle. Hard to believe it was just last week that I watched our "A" boys against the Knights with Mr Bell in control- a great match as a result of his presence. A moment of silence AND rename the cup I say. It would be nice to think he was happy and in his element when he left us.

Mark Gruft

Ballbaby

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had the pleasure of enjoying Alec's company before, during, and after a game. Regular league, Fijian League, Greek League, you name it, he reffed them all. He loved the game. He loved life and he was a true character who will be dearly missed. My condolences to his family.

Spiro Pegios

CDK

Jul 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Alec Bell was my favorite referee of all time. I can't really add anything more than what was already said about him in this thread... A true gentlman. I will miss him.

Mike Cindric

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
just got home from alec bells house & arrangemants will be posted at a later date
I will update this site as soon as the phone call comes in !!

amazing !!His wife Irene called a friend in miami to tell him the news ,and his responce was that "IT WAS ON THE RANGERS WEB"thats respect on Alec bells behalf

gary

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Awful news. After reading many of these posts I feel like I missed out by knowing Mr. Bell only as a referee, despite the fact he was a tremendous game official. He seemed to carry the unique ability to manage people as well as he managed a game, something you don't see too often on the field.

My condolences to out to his family and friends.

-Mike Halford.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Rest in Peace Alec

I couldn't believe the news I recieved last night upon arriving home from Sun Peaks... :( Absolutley shocked... Alec Bell was an absolute gentleman who lived for the game and the crack in the changeroom after the match... Having moved to the FVSL halfway through last year, there was one thing I missed about Saturday afternoons at Cloverdale athletic... The endless amounts of Kokanee's we shared... He was a laugh...
He was not only a great personality for football in the lower mainland as well as a great official and sat on the discipline board, but he was the bar man for the Rangers Supporters Club #1 in New West... I cannot imagine going to a match and not getting a pint from him... This is truely tragic news of the passing of a man that still had years to love, laugh and live...
I'd like to send my condolences and deepest regards to the Bell family from the Collins family...

Follow Follow

ParkHead

May 27, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Truly a sad day for the soccer community. Alec was just great person to be around. Whether it was at the Nations cup or after any other game he had been in the middle for. You knew he would come by the change room for a pint or two.

My Condolences go out to Irene and the rest of the Bell family.

Alec you will be missed but never forgotten.

Neil McQuade

Walks

Dec 4, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
My sincere condolences go out to the Bell family. An absolute tragic loss that has shocked the community.

Alec was a true legend of the game - a great man on and off the pitch.

~Paul Walker

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Wow. What a shocker. Alec reffed our game yesterday morning, then came over and chatted with me for a couple of minutes. I twisted his arm into staying for a beer; he mentioned that he had to get out to Cloverdale for his next game. Over beers and stogies, we talked about the game, the VMSL, whether we were going to Squamish, my Celtic scarf, Scottish football in general; the usual stuff whenever we see each other at a game, in a beer garden, or anywhere else. He said to me "I thought you were retiring" before the game; my reply was "I thought the same about you." We talked about my sick cat, and both bemoaned the cost of dealing with vet bills. He finished his smoke, thanked me for the Kokanee, and headed out to Cloverdale.

I got the call about this early this morning from Carlos Grosso. My first reaction was "come on, you're shitting me; he can't possibly be gone," but he assured me the news was legit. I'm still having trouble with this sinking in; only Wednesday I had to attend my Grandmother's funeral as well.

Alec, you will be sadly missed. Not only as a ref, but as a truly colourful character in a monotone world. On behalf of the WCOTSL, Killarney Spurs and the Woolverton family, and soccer players all over the lower mainland, I'd like to send heartfelt condolences and deepest sympathies to the Bell family. Alec, wherever you are, here's hoping the cooler and the humidor are always full, the field's always lined properly, Rangers get the results they want, and there's nae dissent in a game. "Ge' on wi' it!!!" There will be a moment of silence at our game next week for Alec; hopefully other games will follow suit.

Lang may yuir lumb reek,

stew

Stew and Kathy Woolverton; the Killarney Spurs Soccer Club.

peter

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I didn't know Alec very well but he was, as has been well stated here, a real character and a lover of the game. He will be missed by all.

Stew, I don't mean to be morbid but what happened after he left your game? How did he die?

Peter Stannard

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
From the VMSL Site.

OBITUARY--ALEX BELL

It is with a great deal of sadness that we announce the premature departure of one of our dearest and most highly-regarded members. Alex Bell, an executive member of the VMSL for 20 years, passed away suddenly on Sunday, February 8, 2004 at Cloverdale Athletic Park, while doing what he loved best, refereeing a soccer game! Alex was the Chairman of Discipline of the VMSL, a referee, a soccer enthusiast, a dear and loyal friend, and a wonderful human being. He will be missed enormously by the entire soccer community. Details regarding the funeral services will be announced soon. Rest in peace, Alex!

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Peter,

Alec passed away after suffering a heart attack as he was reffing a VMSL Division 2 game out at Cloverdale Athletic.

The outpouring of posts here I think really tells how much Alec was well-liked and received throughout the community.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Lupoman

Nov 11, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Like a couple of others that have posted here, I only really knew Alec through his reffing, but I can see from the outpouring of grief that it is my loss for not having the opportunity to get to know him better. Always saw him up in Squamish...when he wasn't in the middle, he could always be seen chatting with someone, about football no doubt.From myself, my teammates and the North Shore Coaches League we offer our condolences to his family and friends, a obvious great man has left us.

lupoman

knvb

Aug 17, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Regs said:
Peter,

Alec passed away after suffering a heart attack as he was reffing a VMSL Division 2 game out at Cloverdale Athletic.

The outpouring of posts here I think really tells how much Alec was well-liked and received throughout the community.

Cheers,

~Regs.
The Surrey guys were sitting around after training last night and talking about Alec and telling our stories which seemed to bring a lot of smiles to the guys who knew him better. We did all come to the conclusion he wasn't much a ref. :D I think he used it as more an excuse to be on the park with the guys, counting down the long 90 until the match was over so he could hang out. You see, Alec spent a lot of time around the new Surrey club house last season. He 'somehow' managed to draw the line at almost every home game, I'm thinking it was because we had the BBQ going after and had a microwave to heat up his hideous meat pies... the guy even brought his own brown sauce. Thinking about it even now brings a big smile to my face.

We toasted him with a pint and smoked some cheap cigars in his honor. Rest in peace Alec your smiles and presence are already missed.

Dave

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
friday in new west will be propably more like the funeral

friday afternoon book your seats for the RCL coquitlam /looks like it will be a sell out on alecs behalf

will find out the address & time

sid the stogie smoker :cool:

ps bring your own chivas & king eds

sid

Dec 3, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
RE:FUNERAL SERVICES FOR ALEC BELL

TO FRIENDS & FAMILY

FUNERAL WILL TAKE PLACE AT 219-- 6th-- STREET NEW WEST>CARNEY FUNERAL HOME

FRIDAY 13th @ 2pm

FRIENDS ARE WELCOME TO ATTEND!!

AFTER THE FUNERAL A GATHERING WILL BE TAKEN PLACE AT THE ROYAL CANADIAN LEGION #253 / 1025 RIDGE AVE /COQUITLAM

gary corr

dazza

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Terrible news this. Just found out tonight.

Alec was a great servant to the soccer community and will be greatly missed.

He was always good for a laugh.

I remember at a discipline meeting a few years back he was reading a crackpot ref's report on my sending off and he burst out laughing, which was pretty funny in itself.

Sincere condolences to the Bell family and everyone close to him from me and the the Lomas camp.

Darren Alexander

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0