Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Provincial Premier Cup

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Anybody taking in any matches for the juvenile Provincial Cup competition at Newton Athletic Park? I'll be heading over there on the weekend, so I wouldn't mind some info on teams or individuals worth watching (like a young Rangerforever ...........hey, at least I said YOUNG).:rolleyes:

Silverfoxalwaysscouting.

P.S.- info on girls should contain at least 5% soccer content;) :eek:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Silver Fox,

I was over watching the U-18 game between Semi and Kelowna. The first half was played at a very slow pace but it picked up in the second. Semi squandered a few quality chances and Kelowna score with just over 5 minutes to go. It was an even game but not as good as the U-17 game beside it. I believe Burnaby beat Kelowna 2 - 1. Kelowna looked to have much of the possession but Burnaby's defense was very solid and their keeper was excellent. Burnbaby pinched a counter-attack goal with about 10 minutes to go. The pace was quick with a lot of intensity and there were some crunching tackles.

I also caught a bit of the U-15 game between Surdel and Kelowna. It was not a good game, certainly the worst of the them all. Kelowna won 2 - 1, which was a bit of an upset.

Before these games started I was watching the Coquitlam U-14 team play on the turf. They were the best team of the lot. They were moving the ball from the back, were quick, and very physical. It was a pleasure to watch kids that age play an extremely entertaining brand of soccer. Dom Mobilio was telling me that they are extraordinary group and he wasn't far off. They ended up winning 5 - 0 against Kamloops.

I'll be going tomorrow to watch Semi again at 12:30, as one of the girls on my high school team is playing. Other than that, I didn't see any other games and don't know any other scores. If you get a chance, go watch the Coquitlam team. You'll be very impressed.

Captain

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
Thanks Captain. I'm assuming the Coquitlam team are girls since the other teams you talked about are as well. By the way, do you know if Doug Munn is still coaching Semi?

SILVER

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Doug is still coaching the team. I think winning the provincials two years in a row was enough for some of the girls. They seem to lack desire. Yes, the Coquitlam team is female, but they were magic to watch.

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Silverfox,

Today at 4:30 PM U18 Boys Burnaby Canadians are playing the Abbotsford Mariners in what "should" be the final on Sunday. Many good players on both teams such as Tyler Roselund (bby) Andrew Proctor (bby) Spencer Schmidt (abb) and Brad Peetoom (abb) all are currently playing the the U17 National team. It should be a cracker!

I must say Surrey have done a great job with the fields! You don't see many facilities who actually cut the grass short these days.

Franz :cool:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, Franz, the fields are in great shape. Which leads to me to wonder why the still have to use ONE fcuking turf field. ALL games should be on the same surface. I sure hope they aren't using turf for the final games. That would be a shame especially when all the grass fields are in mint condition.

Captain

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
It makes me wonder....

Captain,

I was thinking the same thing yesterday! They had 1 other field that wasn't being used just behind the turf field. Why didn't they have that field playable and warm up on the turf?

Another thing that bothered me is that why are we playing all these games mid week during the day? Don't people work? Could they not have scheduled these games to run from 4:00 PM until the evening? They could have still gotten all games in. It's a shame that many kids make it to the Provincial Cup and their parents and other family can't come watch as they have to work.

It doesn't make sense to me.

Franz

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Franz,

Another good point. I was talking to the girl who was in my high school and she said her parents couldn't make it because of work. They are there every weekend and they were really upset that they couldn't get the time off to watch their daughter's last games in youth soccer. It really would make sense to have the games later on in the day for spectators and even referees. Not all refs can get the time off during the day and I notice A LOT of young officials in the games, some more competent than others.

Captain

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
turf

I agree with the both of you on the turf. The team I play for is based at Newton so I've had plenty of training / playing on the turf and I actually enjoy it alot. However, it took a little bit to get used to, so some teams with turf experience could have an advantage over the teams without it. On the flip side, it seems more and more of these competitions use turf ( some men's Provincial games, high school boy's championship) and will continue to do so as these fields become more abundant. Personally, I say use the grass. BTW, I checked the schedule for Sunday. The boys and girls U-14 Div. games are on the turf, for both 1st and 3rd place.
Due to that work you're both on about, I finally get to see some games on Saturday!! :)

Silver

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Silver Fox,

They also used turf for the High School Girls Championships. The also used one grass field which was ludicrous. Anyway, the Kamloops team which played the Coquitlam U-14 girls was obviously at a huge disadvantage. They don't have turf and Coquitlam practices and plays there frequently. On top of that, Coquitlam was an awesome team. I don't think it would have been too different on the grass in terms of a result in this match, but it is a poor decision to play a final on the turf, whether the turf fields are becoming more abundant. Someone will figure this out soon, hopefully.

Semi lost 2 - 0 to Nanaimo yesterday so Nanaimo and Kelowna will be playing in the final tomorrow. That should be a decent game as both teams try to play. Semi didn't. They were lumping missiles up the field all day and hope for their athletes to win the game individually. It wasn't going to happen against a disciplined Nanaimo team. How are things going on the boys side?

Captain

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Not so good

Abbotsford Mariners got beat by Burnaby Canadians yesterday. It was a great game to watch. Score was 2-1. Burnaby scored with about 10 minutes to play. It was the first loss of the season for Abbotsford. Today we play Lower Island at 1:30 PM. Winner of this match will meet Burnaby in the Final. Hopeully it will be us!:(

Franz

Hands of Stone

Jul 30, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Lets Go Burnaby

They have a great team Coached by former Wesburn and Fireman player B. Gant. It should be a good final who ever they play on Sunday, I guess that Burnaby will Out Coach who ever they match up agianst.
Was out with one of the young lads on Friday Night, he also plays for Friulli in the Summer, and the kid was saying that they use some of the advanced training techniques that were established by Club I. Not only do they kick the ball far, but they kick it far and into open space, Unreal.

Good luck to Burnaby Canadians on Sunday, it is a great Youth Program that is going on there.

HOS

sensei_hanson

Jun 29, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
HOS,

Maybe you should pick up the most recent edition of the Burnaby Now...there's an article on the front of the sports section about the Burnaby Metro Youth Program breaking free from their affiliation with the Burnaby Canadians, and establishing independence as a club. It went from being a great youth program to a non-existent youth program pretty quickly. I wonder what went wrong.

-Scoop.

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Plenty of coaches

HOS,

Actually, the U18 has quite a few good coaches at that age level. Randy Samuel, Alan Errington, Bruce Gant, and Lee Sullivan are to name a few. So will we see you out at Newton tomorrow HOS to cheer on Burnaby?

U18 Final is Abbotsford Mariners vs. Burnaby Canadians. 2:00 PM Kick off.

Franz,

silver fox

Jun 30, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
SAT. GAMES

Caught bits and pieces of a number of games today. Teams that impressed me on the boys side were:

North Delta U-17.....the score was 4-2 but it could have been 8-0 before Kelowna scored two late goals to make it close.

Surrey Peg Rangers U-16....up 2-1 at the half when I left. Quick, skillful midfielders get involved and distribute the ball nicely. Of course, you can't do any wrong when you're called the RANGERS!! Right Captain?:)

Abby U-18.... up 3-0 when I left. Set of what looked to be twins in midfield were decent players.

I didn't see as many girls teams but I did catch the U-14 Coquitlam team that was mentioned earlier in this thread. They do play some good stuff. They won 5-0 (left before any goals were scored :( ). The Burnaby U-13 girls deserve a mention. Defending provincial champs, 3 and 0 in round robin after today, yet when you watch them not one player jumps out at you. All they do is win :rolleyes:.

Silver

Franz Bakingpowder

Aug 1, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
U18's Final

Abbotsford Mariners won the U18 Final by a score of 4-0. I must say the Burnaby Canadians are a class act organization.

Once question I do have is that why wasn't Derek Possee (Head Coach of BC Soccer) and Michael Finley (U18 BC Team Head Coach) not out watching this match or any of the matches on the final day? Many of the Burnaby Canadians and Abbotsford players are currently on his team. You would think they would want to see them playing in a competive match to see who has bottle and who doesn't?

Also, isn't "The Province" a sponsor of BC Soccer? Why wouldn't they put the results of each day and maybe a little write up in the paper about the tourney? I remember in the old "Sun Cup" it was headlines all the time in their newspaper.

Other than that well done to BC Soccer for putting on a decent tournament out in Surrey.

Franz,
:cool:

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Once question I do have is that why wasn't Derek Possee (Head Coach of BC Soccer) and Michael Finley (U18 BC Team Head Coach) not out watching this match or any of the matches on the final day? Many of the Burnaby Canadians and Abbotsford players are currently on his team. You would think they would want to see them playing in a competive match to see who has bottle and who doesn't?

My guess is that they weren't getting paid for it. :mad: Perhaps if each player would have paid $5 each it would have been worth their while. :rolleyes:

Do you know who won the U-18 girls? If not, does anyone know where I can find all the results on the Internet? Cheers.

Captain

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,

CVI United.

BC Soccer.net

I was hoping that BC Soccer would be updating this page 2 - 3 times a day over the weekend, knowing that this is their big weekend but once again, I'm left disappointed. :rolleyes:

Nobody updated it until this morning. I guess they wanted people to go out to watch rather then see the results on the net. :mad:

Cheers

DJ

Captain Shamrock

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Cheers, Jonesy. I wanted to try and get out on the last two days but I had my kids on Sunday and the Club I golf tourney on Saturday.

djones

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Captain,

Always trying to help the elderly ;).

When you got kids, there's always too much to do to do what you want. I hear ya, we had swim lessons, b-day parties and sleepovers etc... this weekend

Franz,

Congrats to you and your excellent team. You guy's are doing a fantastic job out there. Good luck at Nationals!

Interesting to note, that besides Abbotsford winning in the U18 and U15 boys, there wasn't any other double winners. Out of the 14 BC titles up for grabs in both boys and girls 13 different Soccer Associations won honors.

I don't know what that really means or what it indicates re: good/bad or inconclusive. Has it always been this way?

Didn't it use to be that one, two or three clubs tend to dominate? I've haven't been following it all that close in recent years except to follow the teams in our club.

Whether it means that there is a lot of parody within the clubs/district teams, I don't know. Are clubs as a whole getting better - the middle clubs moving closer to the top clubs as far as development goes (positive) or are the top clubs moving closer to the middle clubs/district teams (negitive)? Change in demographics maybe?

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0