Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Provincial Cup Men's Open 2008 - Predictions, Results & Banter

knowone

Aug 21, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
first off... what a hell of a good bunch of lads in green and white hoops!
hard nose, gritty, skillful, at times cheap, and full of emotion. if i ever moved
to the island, i'd be looking to play for a squad like them. you're right grinder,
that shot by big red moved the post back about a foot, how it stayed out is
a mystery. much respect to the SOOKE nation, really top marks lads.

secondly... congrats to langley in beating one of the best teams in the
province, i'm still in disbelief.

thirdly...azzi, we're bringing our house league team out next week and it
should be a walk for the metro ford boys so don't bother coming. GFU!

LSD

May 31, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
crashed out of the Pak to the ND Titans, yes the Titans, no disrespect, but the Titans.
It took you a month, a PK win over Surrey and some alcohol to muster up an attempt at a piss take? It really must have been a tough loss... especially considering you guys didn't have the courage to kick us out of the changeroom, you had to get the team milf to do it well done.;)

LION

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
UBC 3
CHILLI 0

UBC young and quicker.. but I think will have trouble against some VMSL sides.

Chilli.... well... sucked. No energy or want in this game.
They looked pretty unorganized and slow.

Sandman

Jul 26, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Interesting couple of rounds so far - "the luck of the draw"...is exactly that luck:

In the "tough luck" category:
-Croatia had to play Firemen and Metro Ford out of the gate. The odds were tough to get a couple of wins against two quality teams like that.
-West Van has to beat recent provincial champions Columbus and Sporting - just to get a birth in the semi's.

In the "good luck" category:
-Inter will likely only encounter a VMSL team if they reach the final. Any team in the province would love that draw.

Saying that - I like the concept of a "draw". The Champions League does it and so does the FA. I'm not a big fan of the North American style bracket where all the teams are seeded. However I do think that the respective league champions should be the only seeded teams (minus the UBC fiasco)...At the end, every champion needs a bit of luck along the way. The champion will be a worthy one and good luck to the elite 8.

Sandman

PS: Sporting/West Van game will be a dandy...definitely the MOTW.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
UBC 3
CHILLI 0

UBC young and quicker.. but I think will have trouble against some VMSL sides.

Chilli.... well... sucked. No energy or want in this game.
They looked pretty unorganized and slow.

Looked that way to me as well. But UBC also sucked. They'll lose soon enough. The BCs this year are pathetic - thank you BCSA. BTW, this was a BC cup game and almost nobody was there to watch and absolutely no atmosphere. It might as well been a Knights summer league game.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
SU, LFC

I could just imagine how lang rubbed this one in. But slow down on VMSL and FVSL comparisions. The record between the two must be like 60 - 2 for the VMSL, now.

moh

Oct 5, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the 12th man, (Dude, Hildy, Deano, Nacho Libre) who knows, Valley team in the semi's again??? UBCya!

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
With the 12th man, (Dude, Hildy, Deano, Nacho Libre) who knows, Valley team in the semi's again??? UBCya!

Too funny...and I wasn't even there (just showed up late to drink your beer). I understand it was quite diabolical! Hey...I'm sure United have played in tougher conditions than that. Croatia w/ death threat to KNVB come to mind.

I could just imagine how lang rubbed this one in. But slow down on VMSL and FVSL comparisions. The record between the two must be like 60 - 2 for the VMSL, now.

Are you for real?

Again, I wasn't there, but I'll tell you this much, afterwards in the chageroom, several of the guys were quite pissed at the poor level of sportsmanship showed by several longtime / key members of that club. I can understand the bitter disappointment of a loss, but to not go over to an opponent and shake their hands after a loss is just not what you'd expect from a first class club like Surrey United.

And I'll say this much, it has been pretty tame on here. I think LFC1,2,&3 has shown nothing but class here publicly.

BTW...I think the record is more like 61-1. Who was the other?

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
BTW...I think the record is more like 61-1. Who was the other?

Townsend Park (aka Chilliwack Rapids) beat Sapp in the 1st round of 2000, 3-2.

It's obvious that emotions would run very high in a game vs SU and LFC and some poor sportsmanship would go along with it, but my comment about 'rubbing it in' is more to do with the fact that the Lang club has lost a few players to SU due to the fact that they play in the VMSL, and Lang really wanted to show these guys up. Congratulations.

NOVA

Jan 19, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
...Langley went as far as the Semi's one year- beat Croatia 4-2 in the QuarterFinals in 95 or 96 ?

Down 2-0 at the half... Langley scores 4 in the second half.

Didn't Surrey go to the finals as a valley team vs Firemen?

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well, I'm not sure about the later comment, but now that you point it out I recall the TP win. The current crop of LUFC players are a mix of long time FVSL vets, and Trinity Western alumni & current players.

That being said, pretty sure if LFC1,2&3 could have picked any one team to beat, SU would be the one.

You could say that some of the Langley youth Metro players have gone the VMSL route, but again, more and more of their better players are now staying home.

If anything, the rivalry comes from Steve Millar being tight w/ a lot of the past Langley guys (apparently the boys were chanting "MUCKER...MUCKER..." in the stands while he was shooting his PK), and the fact that KNVB was on the coaching "staff" as a trainer a few years back in the second year after earning promotion back to Premier.

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
That's what I was getting at. If SU won, they would have probably just walked off after some emotional relief. With the PK win, LFC was saying "FCUK U!!!!!!!!"

whataboutbob

Jul 20, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
If anything, the rivalry comes from Steve Millar being tight w/ a lot of the past Langley guys (apparently the boys were chanting "MUCKER...MUCKER..." in the stands while he was shooting his PK),

For a "MUCKER", Millar has had a fantastic HoF career. Give the old man credit where credit is due.;)

Dude

Lifetime Better Bastard
Jul 23, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the cries of poor sportsmanship- again, I wasn't there till a bit after- but I can understand why guys would choose not to shake. Their season just went down in a ball of flames, and again, the guys in the stands, normally friends, were giving it pretty bad.

Would I make sure I'd have shook? I'd like to say yes, but in the same situation, I honestly can't say I wouldn't have just walked off too. Closest I'll get now to a Provincial comp may be in Master in a couple years, so my opinion is MOOT.

The Mucker comment comes from the fact SM plays summer ball w/ the Langley Muckers in the FVSL summer league.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0