Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Pacific Cup 2010/11

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Well since the AGM for both Leagues is a short time away. I think its time we discuss the new FVSL/VISL Cup.
We know that the powers at be read these posts weather they admit it or not and we all will be at our AGM and can cast a vote either way on Ideas we would like to see happen with this Cup.

Remember guys this is just a discussion and rumours. Only Things heard through the grape vine and Ideas.

First off I heard the Cup may be called the Pacific Cup....I LIKE IT.

I also heard only the top 8 teams from each Premier div will be takeing part. 8vs8 = 16 teams. Easy for a knock out cup and makes sence to me.....I LIKE IT.

I really think to make this Cup happen and when I say happen I mean to make it FUN and to create a long term History filled Cup. A Cup that lasts forever and one the other leagues may want to join in the future.
I really think it is Important to add elements that not only keep it fair but make it FUN so everyone takeing part is excited to be apart of this Cup.

I think the 1 vs 8 ,2 vs 7, 3 vs 6, 4 vs 5 is the way to go with every team playing the first round vs an other league team.
This way we all get to play someone from the other league which is really why we are playing this Cup in the first place..FUN.

Ranked,from the last seasons record,to be fair.
And more importantly you will know 6 months in advance who will be traveling and this allows you more time to plan (ie fundraisers) and to plan to travel with other teams to cut costs and to plan double header games.
I also think the Opening Season weekend should be the first round of this Cup. A great way to start off the season and more importantly you will have great weather for the travel and for the double header games.
Great weather means more friends/family/crowds could come out to watch.
With bigger crowds ,beer gardens and food could be set up....

If this (above) was the case this would be the first round matchups this year.

FVSL vs VISL
1 ACBC vs 8 Sooke Celtic
2 POCO vs 7 Nanaimo United
3 Langley vs 6 Gorge United
4 Pt Moody vs 5 Gordon Head Gold

VISL vs FVSL
1 Gorge FC vs 8 Chilliwack
2 LakeHill vs 7 GEU
3 Bays United FC vs 6 PAU
4 Cowichan FC vs 5 Abbotsford

Second round easily could be random draws with top ranked team being home team. (ties- wins/GF)

Third round same

Final same aswell to keep it easy.

With league week night games this cup could be finnished way before the weather turns.

I really like the Idea of haveing the season start off with a double header day vs another league. Everyone is pumped to get back to playing and with the good weather we actually could build a big event.
4 double headers. 2 here and 2 on the island.
Double headers 2nd round could work aswell. But first round will have way more time to plan and promote.

Well what do you all think.

bergamascho

Nov 16, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: The New FVSL/VISL CUP

This is like the Europa League of BC soccer...the second tier leagues and teams playing for all the old broken marbles... :rolleyes:

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

If it's all about "fun", why hasn't the co-ed league been asked to participate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money

I think it's always a good idea to get everyone playing together and really organizing soccer in BC like it's done all around the world, regardless the quality of the leagues.

Good idea, but there's a couple things that obviously need addressing before the AGM, scheduling, money, possibly a solid business plan or organization plan that everyone can sign off on, and agree on.

I would also keep it between the top 4 teams in each league. Keep it small, in the first year. That way it's easier to manage, then as everyone gets the hang of things make it bigger.

In regards to scheduling, the FVSL would need to possibly scrap the SX Cup to open up some time for the Pacific Cup for Premier teams. Maybe give SX Cup solely for Div.1 teams. Gives Div.1 teams something to play for. Keep Premier teams in the Pak Cup and Pacific Cup.

Another idea alternatively would be the Winners of VISL and FVSL Cups and League could just have a two-leg final. I.e. the winners of the FVSL League, Pak, SX Cup, and Presidents Cup play their counter parts on the Island, Jackson Cup winner and so on. Kind of like a Super Cup.

Would be nice to also get some VMSL participation as well, maybe even from some lower ranked VMSL Premier teams or Div.1 teams to participate in it. But definitely leaving an open invitation for VMSL to join whenever in whatever happens.

Anyways, definitely this time around everyone's got to learn from the failures of the past and don't repeat them for some of these good ideas to finally take off.

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

SX cup, at least the name, is dead... Soccer City is the league soccer supplier/sponsor...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

I think a huge BC cup with every team in the province would be awesome! Maybe the top 4 of the premier's get a bye to a later stage like the FA cup in England.

That way every club gets a chance and the winning team will be hands down the best team in the province. No more of this, our league is better than your league nonesense.

:)

Pacific2010

Sep 13, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money

number10hamburgler said:
Good idea, but there's a couple things that obviously need addressing before the AGM, scheduling,[size=+1] money, possibly a solid business plan[/size] or organization plan that everyone can sign off on, and agree on.

No worries mate...Ghouse doesn't give a shite about money...even though he's BROKE but he want to fullfill his DREAM of a provincial league, also many of his players are leaving the team as they don't want to play in the FVSL, so he need to has a reason to keep those players.

PAC2010

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

LOL..You dont need a Business plan to run a Cup single knockout tournament..We all have been running them for years.Does the VMSL have a business plan for the Imperial Cup or Provincial Cup.Maybe you need a Business Plan to cross the street with your helmet but we dont.. During our Premier club meeting no one was worried about a business plan or the cost of travel to the Island nor did we ask for money from the league. Although the league has offered to vote to see if and how much they may want to give us. (We have a great league.) As for my dream of a Provincial League,,,Yes i do dream of that.To bad you only dream of your sandbox.
My Club has won all 4 divisions and all 3 cups in 4 years....Not bad if I do sayso myself.
My phone rings of players wanting to join every day.
We play 2 games a week all year long and have been to every tournament there is.
And we have played in almost every league too.
I lose players every year to every league and I pick up players every year from every league. Nothing is different from this year as from last or for next.
The FVSL will have 3 Premier Cups next year and play games vs the Island. If that helps attract good players to our team....well good for us. All players need a reason to play where they play....Usually its where they have the most FUN. Playing around 18 more games a season than everyone else attracts alot of ballers too I might add.
Pacific you sound a little jelous. And I dont blame you...We have alot of FUN planned for this year. And now that Soccer City has Just became the FVSL Title Sponsor you will be able to read on here all about all the fun were haveing
Ill even send you PMs just to remind you of what your missing.

Guinness

Sep 9, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
wake up, you're missing the boat

posted by: 10hamburgler
Would be nice to also get some VMSL participation as well, maybe even from some lower ranked VMSL Premier teams or Div.1 teams to participate in it. But definitely leaving an open invitation for VMSL to join whenever in whatever happens.

No chance! The same problem remains in VMSL LaLa land. They are too big for their boots. That league is constantly losing the shite facilities that they have and the population growth continues to be in the Valley. Not to mention they are in a leadership mess. It's been slowly declining for 5 years. The FVSL is doing the right things from an organizational point. The quality is getting better and the players are staying home to play. 5 years from now, the VMSL will be begging to be part of what the VISL and FVSL are trying to accomplish.

Just my humble opinion.

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

As an outsider this seems crazy.

Why alienate yourself? If you think you have the best league prove it by beating teams from other leagues, easy.

A cup that allows entries from every team in the province would be amazing!!

Div 2-3 teams play preliminary rounds to "qualify" for the cup. Top teams participate from round 2-3 onwards, this gives the lower teams a real chance of getting somewhere in the cup without having to face a prem team straight off the bat.

The games could be played during the season around league games and have the final scheduled for just after the season finishes.

Basically the same way the FA cup runs in England.

I know this would be a nightmare to organise but would be amazing. Do any other players agree? or am I on my own here :)

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

This format already exists - The Provincial Cup

Up until about 10 years ago (I think?), every team would be in their respective league cups with premier teams being entered at later stages. The lower divisions would play cup games in the fall.

Provincial cup berths were/are tied to league cups (a portion of).

Granted, that's not the same as having inter-league games (until the "sweet 16"), but it is the closest you can get to what you envision.

The VMSL is going to have history on it's side for awhile yet until the other leagues start winning provincial cup games head-to-head on a consistent basis (when it comes to arguments of best league and whatnot).

Gorge FC is obviously the best team/club at this level on a consistent basis but the island needs other teams to step up in order to lay claim to best league.

This is all IMHO of course.

A perfect world under the current system I think would be for equal representation for all leagues in the BCs except for PCSL:

Top 5 VMSL
Top 5 FVSL
Top 5 VISL

with a prelim round consisting of the top PCSL, 5th place VMSL, 5th place FVSL, and 5th place VISL

Cheers,

Regs.

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

It's similar but not quite what I was getting at.

I think provincials great and are organised very well. But the teams entered are only top teams as you just mentioned?? More of a champions league type scenario??

I think it would be great to eventually get ALL teams involved rather than just the top 3-5 teams and cup winners.

I suppose it's hard to get all leagues involved as players play for one team in winter then another for PCSL / Summer. So maybe just include the winter leagues???

I obviously have no idea about the current setup of leagues and cups here etc.. so just an observation from an outsider who has just started to get involved in soccer here.

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money
Re: wake up, you're missing the boat

No chance! The same problem remains in VMSL LaLa land. They are too big for their boots. That league is constantly losing the shite facilities that they have and the population growth continues to be in the Valley. Not to mention they are in a leadership mess. It's been slowly declining for 5 years. The FVSL is doing the right things from an organizational point. The quality is getting better and the players are staying home to play. 5 years from now, the VMSL will be begging to be part of what the VISL and FVSL are trying to accomplish.

Just my humble opinion.

Bang on :)

ghouse

May 30, 2006
Tokens
Dirty Money

A cup between all 3 leagues would be great..
But first we need to hire 3 accountants one from/for each league so we can put a business plan together.
Who collects the TV revenue and how will we split the Merchandise profits.
The business plan should also show who gets the gate revenue and food/bevy profits and who is responsable for working the gate/concession at each game.
We then need to hire (3) 1 lawyer for/from each league to sign some sort of agreement so no one can say they didnt know and maybe bail out last minute because they couldnt figuar out how to catch a ferry.
We need to all agree on REALLY how much more money we need to charge our guys to cover the ferry fees and agree to all pay the same so some dam owner of a team doesnt come along and pay for his team and poach all the broke ass players away from thier home clubs because they cant afford to play the most expesive sport .
We all then need to argue and fight for at least 2 years before starting to actually play.

Or the FVSL picks up the phone and Calls the VISL (or vice versa) and arranges a no brainer 16 team knockout Cup and we start to play right away.
And if you cant afford to carpool and walk on a ferry...you have way bigger problems than playing soccer...you might want to get that job on TV washing dishes so you can play a sport...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yes, it was "bang on" 5 years ago when first stated as well.

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

A cup between all 3 leagues would be great..
But first we need to hire 3 accountants one from/for each league so we can put a business plan together.
Who collects the TV revenue and how will we split the Merchandise profits.

Haha that made me laugh.

But really it will be no different to this VISL & FVSL cup or the provincials setup. Traveling is traveling and if people can't afford it, then don't play.

All I am saying is why have a cup for a select few clubs? Get everyone involved.

In England for instance, the home team pays (a limited amount) for the away team to travel for FA Vase cup games. Also there is a prize fund for the winning team, which gets progressively more each round. This is however funded by the FA.

Maybe charging an entree fee would help? More teams = more money.

Just an idea :confused:

mikey_c_9

Mar 24, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money

I am all for the FVSL vs VISL cup by the way!

I was just offering an idea of what could be good for the FUTURE :)

number10hamburgler

Mar 16, 2009
Tokens
Dirty Money

Yeah, that might be the case with the VMSL. But regardless internal squabbles and past history, the VMSL occupies a large part of the soccer geography in the Lower Mainland (Van Metro area). So having them involved with things is a natural step, regardless of the level of quality.
I think once the Pacific Cup (and other good ideas) are officially passed and first games are scheduled, then it gives the VMSL something tangible to join, which i'm sure at the least they will consider cause the BC Provincial Champs will take part in the Cup. In the end, it will really be up to the FVSL and VISL of letting them enter when they come a knockin sooner or later.

In regards to the PCSL participation in Provincials, honestly, all PCSL teams should just join one of the Big 3 respective Winter leagues. And there should only be 3-4 leagues participating in the Provincials, FVSL,VMSL,VISL, maybe an Interior League (consisting of Kelowna, Okanagan, Kamloops and so on, which they can run in the Summer) That's it. If the Victoria Highlanders and Vic United all join the VISL then you have 4-5 solid teams there in the VISL, which will be better for VISL moving forward as well. Just have PCSL as a Summer League Alternative for guys to keep on playing in the Summer. Ex-UBC Thunderbirds can join the VMSL. Khalsa can join FVSL. The quality of the PCSL is about Premier level anyways.

Members online

No members online now.

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0