Welcome to the TTP community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Nucks vs Boston - 2011 Stanley Cup Final

Stanley Cup 2011 Final - who'll win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
"If we had Thomas we would have won in a sweep."
How does the saying go "If my aunt had balls you'd be interested"
Remember Thomas looked shaky against Tampa in a couple of games and Boston was talking about buying his contract out last year. He played great in the finals but remember when almost all GM picked Luongo as the player they would build their franchise around Thomas couldn't get a NHL contract. Luongo is a good goalie not a great goalie same goes with Thomas. Thomas had confidence and luck at the right time.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
On the game (I'll leave my riot thoughts in the proper thread for it)

only one thing to say: The better team won.

the small other thing to say: The Canucks might have been the better team on paper, but they wear skates and play on ice, not pens on paper. Injuries, officials, travel, etc are just excuses. BOTH teams had to deal with it and we came up short and second best.

Well done to the Twins, Kesler, etc for standing up and taking the hard questions last night when it would have been easier to sit in the changeroom and hide.

full congrats and respect to the Bruins and their loyal fans that are my friends and here on TTP that stuck with their team and got the pleasure of seeing their hockey heroes lift the Cup last night.

already looking forward to the draft, July 1 free agency, and the preseason which starts in only 2.5 months.

johnnybluenose

Oct 15, 2004
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yikes... oh well, the bright side is with MayRay and others out we might have a bit of LTIR cap relief heading into the 2011/12 season :p

Mar 24, 2002
Tokens
Dirty Money
other injuries:

edler - 2 broken fingers, happened in the 1st period of Game 6
ehrhoff - seperated shoulder
higgins - broken foot (shot block in Nashville i think?)
Hamhuis - torn groin/abdominal

urnotatwembley

Mar 11, 2008
Tokens
Dirty Money
I guess we'll see tomorrow night UR Wabbley.

Out of curiosity, what, in my post, was a bunch of crap? That Hank would hand the cup to Lou? Or that Bettman would be giving it to Hank at all? Clearly you have made it known who you think will win. I still don't share your opinion, despite the ulcers growing more and more from each game this spring.

You see, I have been a Canucks fan since I was a child and the names Lever, Ververgaert and Kearns were broadcast from Jim Robson's magical voice through my radio. It didn't matter that the team lost most nights. They were my team. Whether it be Petri Skriko, Jim Agnew, Shawn Antoski or Adrian Plavsic, they were my guys. I always had faith and they were always my favourite to win the cup at the onset of training camp. Dillusional? Probably.

But unlike a lot of others out there, there is no Bandwagon for me. This is my team. These are my guys. Win or lose. As a result, I choose not to throw them under the bus.

I applaud your sense of true Fan, what i had a problem with was that you were actually starting to plan who got the Cup after the captain................
I have followed my team since 9th birthday, lots of old timers in my heart as well, buttttt the better team won in seven, it's done

italian_stallion21

Sep 8, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am sick of hearing people say “No Heart”. They went 7 games in the final round! How can you say they have no heart? Guys playing w/ bad injuries, totally depleted. To these people I say, go play a sport at a highly competitive level, then try and understand what it is like to push your body and mind to the extreme, then come back and tell me they played w/ no heart. They were beaten by a better, stronger team in the end, full stop…but no heart? Give me a break.

I agree, and you couldn't have said it any better. In fact I'm stealing this for facebook :)

Mr Base

Mar 14, 2005
Tokens
Dirty Money
Simple. We needad a fighter we did not have one. Who do you bame? I blame main man. Capitain was getting beating no one came to help. Two. Farm heand players head to be used way more. Three. Luango head to sit out last game. He was over worked during a year. Change head to be made. Again main man was lost.
I am very proud of our guys. They went all the way. If I was Luango and brothers I would ask for a trade. Burke was right on when he said two best players with no protection.
Shnids deserves a chance. We will be back next year. With Shnids and three tough guys we can do it.

oldtimer

Lifetime Better Bastard
Mar 22, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Better team won, plain and simple...I did not think Boston was capable of winning 4 out of 5 against us, but they did, so congrats to the Bruins and all their fans. Really liked AV after the game not using injuries as an excuse, I'm sure Boston had their too. Proud of the team, especially Kesler last night, was still trying in the last minute and even threw one more hit. Officiating was terrible all series (did anyone catch that butt-end of the goalie stick that Thomas threw at Hansen's face as he was skating by, ref was looking right at it and did not call it???) but that's not why we lost. Boston adjusted to the way they were calling it, we didn't. Great season, all the pieces are there for next year, we'll be back, but not sure if that is a good thing or bad after the mayhem last night:mad:

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I had drafted a cranky old fart's reply last night but slept on it. The argument about "no heart" was one I was going to use, but needed to frame the context for it - "leading by example" would be a good start. Last night was frustrating in a lot of senses:
  • frustrating in that the Canucks' team captain was nearly invisible and did not impose himself on the game at all;
  • frustrating that he had a lot of company on the Canucks' first and second lines, who seemed to mail in the game;
  • frustrating that the Canucks have a goaltender who seems to have an ego made of glass, despite his obvious talent;
  • frustrating that players in front of him seemed to lose the concept of team defense far too often;
  • frustrating in the ludicrous consistency of officiating that was brutal in all directions.
Yes, I had a lot of emotional investment in this series; I've been a Canucks fan since before the team was in the NHL and played in the Western League (yes, I'm that old). I'm sticking with the club now as I've done so in the past through good years and bad. For most of us, even the bandwagon jumpers, this one got a bit tougher because of how well the team had done otherwise.

Full credit to the Bruins, especially to Tim Thomas for elevating a relatively good team to the level that they needed to achieve to win in convincing fashion. This guy turned away more rubber than anybody else had ever been able to over the course of the playoffs, and he deserved the Smythe, and whatever else the Bruins are now going to have to pay him. Does this mean we like the Bruins? Hell no, we hate them almost as much as we hate the Black Hawks or the Leafs, but still respect their ability to get the job done.

Yes, there will need to be some tinkering done over the summer, but as others have said before, you don't implode a team that was good enough to get to the finals, and be first overall in the league for the regular season. You do need to upgrade some spots though (thinking defense primarily).

Looking forward to next winter's roller coaster...

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
At the end of the day, looking back, it was the power play that is why the Canucks are not Stanley Cup champions.

As soon as it started to sputter, the Canucks had no answer to the Bruins style of play. The Canucks do not need a fighter and they are built specifically to not need one - you want to take liberties with us? Fine, we'll score and make you pay. Teams have to respect that and then need to take a step back.

The power play scored twice in 7 games. TWICE. To put it into better context, the power play was minus fcuking 1 over the series.

Be happy the refs didn't call the slash on Kesler's stick earlier in the first period, the riots would have started much earlier than they did :)

Rangerforever

Sep 5, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
The comments made about the class inside the building are true except twice when the Count of Sesame Street went out to present the Conn Smyth and Lord Stanley.
I fcuking laughed my ass off on those.
I think he was genuinely surprised when he first walked out to speak.
It lacked 'class' but the boos were so damn loud I hope that fcuking Anti-Canadian cnut finally realizes what we truly think of him.
He is a tool and got everything he deserved last night.

Well done to my good friend Robbie J and the rest of the Bruins fans.
Deservedly won.

And, thank you to the Canucks.
My season's tickets and playoff ones were worth every penny and I thoroughly enjoyed the ride no matter what happened last night.
It was great for the City regardless of what those scumbag knobs did last night.

Cheers,
RF

RL RCD

May 31, 2010
Tokens
Dirty Money
"If we had Thomas we would have won in a sweep."
How does the saying go "If my aunt had balls you'd be interested"
Remember Thomas looked shaky against Tampa in a couple of games and Boston was talking about buying his contract out last year. He played great in the finals but remember when almost all GM picked Luongo as the player they would build their franchise around Thomas couldn't get a NHL contract. Luongo is a good goalie not a great goalie same goes with Thomas. Thomas had confidence and luck at the right time.

Yes, you are right, Luongo is a good goalie and he is not a great goalie. The difference between him and Thomas is that Thomas was great in each of 7 games which has nothing with the luck.

However you look at Luongo, the fact is that he made $10 million this season. For that kind of money, he had to be great; good was simply not enough.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Yes, you are right, Luongo is a good goalie and he is not a great goalie. The difference between him and Thomas is that Thomas was great in each of 7 games which has nothing with the luck.

However you look at Luongo, the fact is that he made $10 million this season. For that kind of money, he had to be great; good was simply not enough.
I agree...but that's not Luongo's fault that management chose to pay him so much. All he did was sign on the dotted line and play to his top ability under stressful situations which unfortunately is not at a level the team seems to need.

girth

Nov 16, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am a tired fan that wishes for the feeling of winning the cup. I know it may never happen but is willing to accept another player shake up to better an already good team. Question....STD...would you leave everything the same as you have said that you are a "true fan"? Or would you make some changes?

Regs

Staff member
Total Bastard
Jun 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
I am not STD nor have worried about the possibility for over a decade but I'll answer that if I may:

I would leave everything as is if possible... of course that will be near impossible with the upcoming free agency period - I think they are going to need to replace Ehrhoff... then again, what does Salo make? I could see him packing it in which could free up some cap space, no?

There is no reason to believe they can't get back to the final next year with this team.

trece verde

Dec 28, 2001
Tokens
Dirty Money
Ballard is supposedly on the block - he's obviously out of favour with the coaching staff - but who would pick up his salary? If they can unload him, that might give them the room they would need to keep Ehrhoff. Can we at least get a bucket of pucks for Alberts as well?

Mercurial

Sep 17, 2007
Tokens
Dirty Money
Who the hell do we re-sign?

Salo
Erhoff
Bieksa
Alberts
Hansen
Torres
Lapierre
Higgins
Glass

all UFA/RFA's

How good will Malhrota still be after he fully recovers from that eye injury?

The Cap is going up by 3 million for next season.

Weber is an RFA....any chance of poaching him from Nashville?

I say definatly keep Bieksa/Hansen/Lapierre/Torres

Erhoff if weber isn't possible.

The rest can go.

A proper second like winger to play with Kesler is needed as well, Raymond and Samuellson arnt the answer...we owe it to Kes who basically carried that second line the entire season to give him someone to play with 5 v 5/

STD

May 23, 2003
Tokens
Dirty Money
I would like to see them keep the goalie tandum we got like I said you are not going to get a better two goalie combination, that apperently have a good relatioship for the current cap hit. Luongo dispite what people think has been improving and I think he has learned a lot from the experience (like keep your mouth shut). Defence is going to be a bit more difficult. Bieska if you can get him at 4 million but I am sure he will want a no trade clause. I would love to see a Weber but I can't see it happening. Ballard is done one way or another. If they can't move him he may be getting sent to the minors to play with Sourey. Erhoff if you can't get anybody better. Salo is done unless he takes less than 2 million. Hodson has to make the lineup this year but I am not sure were he'll fit in. of the ufa's and rfa's like Torres, Lapierre, Higgins only at a low cap hit. Need Value on the 3 and 4 line. But what team doesn't want value their. Should be a fun offseason fortunately Vancouver is a market players who want to win championships are attracted to.

Members online

Your TTP Wallet

Tokens
Dirty Money
TTP Dollars
$0